Heart As Cold As Ice | 18+ | ✓

By lau_matthews

2021 Watty's Shortlist! *Mostly edited* T/W: physical abuse "Why did you sign me up for Tinder?" I roll my ey... More

author's note
01: alondra
02: alondra
03: alondra
04: jack
05: alondra
06: alondra
07: alondra
09: alondra
10: alondra
11: alondra
12: jack
13: alondra
14: alondra
15: alondra
16: jack
17: alondra
18: alondra
19: alondra
20: jack
21: alondra
22: alondra
23: alondra
24: jack
25: alondra
26: alondra
27: alondra
28: jack
29: alondra
30: alondra
31: alondra
32: jack
33: alondra
34: alondra
35: alondra
36: jack
37: alondra
epilogue
author's note
Wattys+Book 2*Poll*
Future Plans + Leaving Wattpad

08: jack

17.2K 506 93
By lau_matthews

Of all the things I could have told her, why the hell was my dad is in jail my response? I could have said anything else. I hate ketchup and mayo by themselves but mix them together and I'll dip all my fries and burger in it like it's crack. I had braces for four years as a kid. Sometimes when I'm walking around campus from class to class or on my way to my car, I'll put my headphones in with no music playing just so people don't talk to me. I've never had a girlfriend because I don't believe in love.

But I didn't say any of that.

I told her something I haven't told anyone here except for Dylan, Coop, and Peyton. Sure, Ruby knows that my dad is the reason I don't drink. But I don't really know what she knows and what she doesn't. Quite frankly I don't care so I've never asked.

The only reason anyone besides Dylan knows is because Peyton once answered my phone when he was trying to call. It didn't feel right leaving Coop out so I gave the brief story of what had happened.

Seeing Alondra on the ice this morning was the last thing I expected to happen when I arrived early for my workout with Zeke. I've done my best to not see Coach differently after what she told me, but it's hard not to. I've looked up to him and I see this great guy who did everything to get me out of Texas to give me a real shot at going pro. He's been a surrogate father to me even if he's a hard ass most of the time.

Now? Every time he's praises one of us or checks in to make sure I'm doing alright, I wonder if he does that with Al. It's not my place at all, but I just keep picturing the look on her face when she came to the rink two weeks ago to apologize. She clearly didn't enjoy telling me that their relationship sucks.

But Al did it so I'd believe her that she wanted to apologize for what she had said the night before.

I run a hand over my face to keep the soap out of my eyes, the water from the shower head hitting all the right spots on my sore muscles.

Fuck.

Why did I tell her that?

Most of the guys have already cleared out of the locker room; Coach wanted to talk to me about our pre-season games that are quickly approaching and how we're going to add two afternoon practices a week in addition to another morning skate. I think he wants this as bad as we do.

He hesitated before asking about how tutoring is going and I tried to be as vague as possible, knowing how his relationship is with Alondra. But he's still my coach. There's a fine line to walk here. Thankfully, Coach didn't ask how she's doing. I'm not sure what I would have said if he had asked me that question.

I towel off, quickly getting dressed and I eye the small duffle bag in the bottom of my locker that belongs to Al.

I had no idea she even could skate. Her smile was wider than I'd ever seen it and I wish I hadn't interrupted her. Clearly Al didn't think anyone would walk in on her.

I did my best to try and keep Zeke distracted when he walked out while we were talking, but he picked up on the lack of notes in my hand. I shut it down quickly though and he didn't protest.

My dark sweater is snug and my team jacket is over the top of it to keep some semblance of warmth as I walk out into the chilly sunshine. The walk from the arena to the coffee shop she'd texted me to meet her at is less than five minutes away. It's early enough I don't get caught by someone I don't know so they can ask me about the upcoming season.

She beat me here and is sitting at a table in the back with two coffees in front of her. Alondra's wearing different clothes and her dark hair is hanging down for once instead of pulled back out of her face.

I slide into the chair opposite of her and wrap my chilled fingers around the still warm cup. "Hey darling, been a while," I drawl out. Al rolls her eyes and I resist the urge to tell her they could get stuck in the back of her head if she keeps doing that.

"It doesn't feel like long enough since I had to bring you your notes this morning," She teases. "Thanks for that by the way. How was morning skate?"

"Fine. Gave me time to work on my wrist shot." I'm a little surprised she asked about it, but if this morning taught me anything, it's that Al is full of surprises. "Dylan said that Ruby's been asking when you're going to come hang out with us again."

I sip my coffee as I gauge her reaction. Al looks a little confused though. "She wants to hangout with me again?"

"Of course. Why wouldn't she?"

Ruby actually hasn't stopped bugging me or Dylan about it. Even Peyton's brought Al up a few times since the night at the bars.

"Because I left without saying anything to anyone."

"You'd be surprised how often people in the group disappear when we go out. It's not a big deal Al." Except I can't say I'm not curious as to why she did leave. I saw her glance around nervously, but I didn't see anyone out of the ordinary. I tap the sides of my cup, "So I've been doing some thinking about what you said this morning."

Al raises a dark eyebrow, "You're going to have to elaborate."

"You said you didn't know anything about me. I'll answer a question if I get to ask a question."

"Any limits?" She asks bluntly and I shake my head.

"No limits but we get two passes."

"Deal."

I take another drink of my coffee as she tucks some hair behind her ear. "Have you and Peyton ever been together?"

A choked laugh escapes me. "Never. She's one of my best friends. Probably helps that she's gay." I tried telling her at the bar that Peyton and I weren't together, but there was other shit going on at that point. I don't think she would have listened to me if I'd tried telling her that.

"Seriously?" Alondra asks and I nod once.

"When did you learn how to skate?"

Al frowns slightly but sighs, "I don't know. You ask my dad and he'd tell you I was skating before I could walk which in theory doesn't sound possible. I've just always done it."

This morning looked like a lot more than just doing it.

"Do you have any siblings?"

"Nope. After my dad..." I trail off for a moment, pausing to clear my throat quickly. "It's just me and my mom. I'm a huge momma's boy."

"I don't have any either. Pritchett is like a sister but she's my cousin on my mom's side. We grew up together and have been thick as thieves since birth."

"Oh sure. So thick that she left you alone with some random guy at a bar who ended up asking you pathetically for a kiss." I reply sarcastically, recalling how we met. Alondra tilts her head back and laughs. It sounds like bells.

"She thought she was doing me a favor. We were at the bar so Pritchett could find someone to hook up with and she ended up trying to push me on you."

Smiling widely at Alondra, I remember that conversation vividly. Dylan had bet me that I couldn't get the dark haired beauty at the bar to kiss me and I took on the challenge easily. I probably laid on the charm a little too thick that night, but Alondra's personality was especially intriguing after I started talking to her.

"Are her and Eli back together?"

The way she wrinkles her nose up in disgust is kinda cute. "Who knows. He's cheated on her before and Pritchett keeps going back. He'll hurt her and then grovel at her feet like a puppy until she takes him back. You wouldn't believe how many nights we've spent drinking after a breakup only for them to get back together while I'm nursing my hangover the next morning. She ignores me when it comes to Eli."

"I just don't see the point in relationships but I guess that's just me." I say, tapping my fingers on my cup. "That just seems like a miserable cycle."

"It is. Not all relationships are as toxic as theirs though."

I tilt my head curious to hear her answer opposed to my own views. "Have you had a good relationship?"

Al tenses up, her jaw clenching. "I have and I haven't." She takes a drink of her coffee, rubbing her temple for a moment. "I guess what I'm trying to say is that I believe there's someone out there for everyone. I don't think Eli and Pritchett are right for each other at all."

"Obviously they aren't."

"When was your last relationship?" She asks curiously.

"I've never had one," I reply easily, causing Alondra's jaw to drop.

"Ever?"

I shake my head. "Nope. Again, what's the point? I don't believe in love and I don't particularly care to tie myself to someone."

"The point is that you'll have someone there for you unconditionally. They accept you for who you are and support you no matter what." Alondra answers as if it's the most obvious thing in the world.

"Sure, sounds simple enough. I just don't believe that there's an exact perfect person out there for someone. I've seen some really great couples, but it always ends."

"Who knew you were such a cynic?" She muses.

"I'm not a cynic, I'm a realist." Fuck, I mean after seeing my dad wail on my mom my entire childhood until he got locked up, I don't think I stand a shot in hell at believing in relationships. I try so hard to make sure I'm completely different from him, but the fact of it is that I am his son.

Ergo, no relationships.

A spark of amusement has returned Alondra's eyes. "So you're telling me that you only hook up with people and do none of the relationship stuff?"

"Pretty sure it's my turn to ask a question."

Al rolls her eyes, "Just answer the question and then you get to ask me two in return."

"Darling that's exactly what I'm telling you. I spend too much time at the rink to even bother with trying to have a relationship if I wanted one. Sex is just sex." I say, and she shakes her head at me.

"I'm going to find you a girlfriend."

I laugh, brushing her off. "Sure Al. Whatever you say." I chew on the inside of my lip as I think of a question. "Favorite food?"

"Mac-n-cheese." My mouth quirks up into a smile because that's not what I expected her to say at all.

"Why did you need to leave Twin City?"

It's a gamble asking this question and a haunted look crosses Alondra's face. Her gaze averts from mine and she stares at the coffee cup in front of her. "Pass."

"Al-" I start to get ready to apologize, but I'm cut off before I can.

"I said pass, Jack. It doesn't matter." She snaps at me and I put my hands up in self defense.

"You don't need to bite my head off. I was just going to apologize since you clearly don't want to tell me about it."

Meanwhile I spilled my deepest secret to her this morning like it was no big deal. This is great. I've got a new friend who can't open up to me at all and I can't seem to keep my mouth shut around her.

Her demeanor softens, "Sorry."

"Don't worry about it."

For the life of me, I can't figure this girl out. Her moods are all over the fucking place. One minute she's smiling and laughing with me. The next she's shutting down completely and I'm on the other side of whatever wall she puts up.

And I'm one hundred percent intrigued to know everything about Alondra.

"Favorite memory with Pritchett?" I ask, trying to lighten the mood again.

"We once found a box of free puppies while coming home from the park and each brought one home. I made it two days before my dad found out. I had named it Sprinkles." A ghost of a laugh appears and I find myself captivated by the story of how she convinced her dad to not only keep a puppy she found, but also for him to call it Sprinkles as well.

The topics of Twin City and my dad never came back up as we laughed and chatted over our coffee.

*********

Coop and I are walking together after our afternoon class talking about what kind of workouts we're going to do at practice that night.

"Hopefully he'll let you and Fargo take some shots. I'm sick of doing nothing at practice," He grumbles.

"Better nothing than puking your guts up like the rest of us."

Coop gives me a flat look, his cap turned backwards on his head. "I'm going to pretend that you didn't just sound like Zeke. Jesus I've never met someone who complains more than he does."

Zeke does complain an awful lot.

"He's figuring it out. He's got potential, just up to him if he wants to put in the work." I shove my hands into the pockets of my jacket, "I saw Al skating at the rink this morning." Normally I'd confide in Dylan, but telling Dylan usually means telling Ruby. I don't want to blab Alondra's business to everyone, but I need to talk it out with someone.

"Thought she was there to give you your notes," Coop muses and I roll my eyes.

"Add blabbermouth to Zeke's list of attributes."

"So she wasn't there to give you notes?"

I shake my head, chuckling softly. "No Coop. She wasn't there to give me notes."

Coop shrugs, "Wouldn't surprise me that she knows how to skate. Coach's kid knows her shit." I hum an agreement when he continues. "Did you know he had a daughter?"

"No. He'd never mentioned her to me."

If we hadn't shown up to that meeting early, I don't think I ever would have known that Alondra was his daughter. Fuck, I'd probably still be calling her Alex.

"Schultz!" A voice calls out behind us and I swivel to look back. I don't recognize the guy, but the jacket he's wearing is the football team's version of the hockey jacket I'm wearing.

"You know this guy?" Coop asks and I squint as he comes closer to us.

"No idea. I'll catch up with you later." I say and Coop nods, walking off right as the guy gets in front of me. "Hey man, do I know you?"

The guy is built like a freaking freight train. I'd have to guess some kind of linebacker. He's got an inch on me if even that, but now that he's close up, I have no idea who he is.

"I'm buddies with Zeke. Grady Smith. I'm on the football team." His chest puffs up with pride. "He told me this morning that you're being tutored by my girl Alondra."

His girl? What the fuck?

I set my shoulders back, eyeing him differently now. "What about Al?"

There's something about his smile that sets me on edge, enough that my fist clenches at my side. "I just wanted to let you know she's off limits. Find another tutor, she doesn't need to be screwing around with you."

Now I'm kind of wishing I hadn't told Coop to go on ahead. What the hell is Zeke doing associating with him? How the fuck does Al know this tool?

"Funny, she hasn't mentioned you at all. I think I'll stick with what I'm already doing. Seems to be working out for me." I force an easy smile on my face when really I'm coiled up so tightly, it's going to take an hour of being on the ice to get me to calm down.

"She likes to play hard to get. Al's not worth it so you might as well look for someone else who'll actually put out."

I shove my clenched fists into my pockets or else I think I might actually take a swing at him. "Or maybe you just weren't man enough for her." I croon in his face, enjoying the anger that sparks in Grady's eyes. Clearly he feels threatened by me.

"Stay away from her." He warns before walking away.

The goosebumps on my arms linger long after the encounter and my number of questions for Alondra have increased tremendously.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

265K 5K 32
#1 in couple 08/20/23 #3 in college 07/12/23 #3 in college romance 07/06/23 #2 in spicy 07/24/23 Emily Caldwell was a normal girl, living with her be...
1.2M 48.1K 33
Joelle Morrow has her focus set on the future. As an up-and-coming lingerie designer, she's overcome multiple setbacks on the road to achieving her d...
1M 30.8K 55
"You have yourself convinced you don't want me, but that changes as soon as my head's between your legs." "Not everything is about sex, no matter how...
385K 9.7K 43
*Slow updates* After agreeing to be the focus of a college article, senior Charlie Murtaugh gets more than he bargains for when he's assigned a clue...