The Stars Aligned

By dr4c0sl0v3

"You're a goddamn catalyst, you know that?" He said slowly, the wind picking up and blowing his hair into his... More

Intro
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Epilogue 1
Epilogue 2
Author's Note

Chapter 20

4.3K 108 146
By dr4c0sl0v3

a/n: Be sure to check out the book playlist "the stars aligned" on spotify! each song goes with each chapter and it really enhances the story in my opinion! :)

June 5, 1996

I cracked the door open, tiptoeing through. Clamping my lips shut, I waved my hand, and Pansy creeped in, swaying on her feet as she carried a tray full of french toast, eggs, coffee, and green grapes. Blaise and Theo were already here standing over Draco, Blaise's hands clamped over Theo's mouth to keep him quiet. He was snoring softly with his mouth open. I pushed down my giggle when I saw his silk green pajamas. He so would.

Pansy set the tray down on the bedside table, giving a thumbs up to Blaise, who rolled his eyes and took his hands off of Theo's lips.

Theo did not hesitate to jump onto the bed beside Draco and scream, "Happy birthday ice queen!"

Draco's eyes shot open, slightly bloodshot, and he sat up groggily, shoving Theo's shoulder weakly.

Blaise and I walked over to the other side of the bed and plopped down while Pansy sat beside Theo. "It's the group albino's sixteenth birthday!" Pansy said in a singsong voice. She reached forward, ruffling Draco's hair affectionately, and he chuckled. I swallowed.

Blaise's voice rumbled, and I glanced over in surprise when I heard he could decently carry a tune. "Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear cotton swab-"

Theo howled, and Draco shook his head, rubbing his eyes with his palms. "Oh, jeez."

"Happy birthday to you!" Blaise finished with jazz hands, and I giggled.

"Thanks guys." His gaze flicked to mine, and I sent him an encouraging grin, one that he returned broadly. "Nothing like being woken up early with delightful names on my birthday."

Pansy puckered her lips, interlacing her fingers with his. "You know you love it."

The world sounded filtered, like I was swimming underwater, and the only thing I could see clearly was their interlocked fingers laying on the sheets.

"Gift time!" Theo's voice broke through the water, pulling me back to shore. He set a small green box on Draco's lap, looking slightly offset for some reason. "Open mine first!"

Draco pulled the lid off and pulled out a keychain, dangling it in the air. "A snowflake keychain?"

Theo looked quite proud of himself. "Yeah, cause you're the ice queen, get it?"

Draco laughed, a luminous sound. "Got it. Thanks, Theo."

"Here's mine," Pansy said, picking up the tray full of food and placing it on Draco's lap. "Breakfast in bed."

His eyes darted across the wonderful meal before looking at Pansy. Beaming. "Awesome, Pansy. Thank you."

She hummed, leaning forward and pressing a kiss to his lips, a light blush forming across her cheekbones. Draco grinned, looking a little flushed himself.

I screamed.

Well, no I didn't. Not out loud, at least.

Inside? I was collapsing.

It's his birthday. I shouldn't be... thinking about this right now.

I look again. He seems happy. Happy with her.

Yet there's something missing, a spark. Passion.

What I see burning in his eyes when he looks at me.

I'm selfish. I know that. I really hope he's happy with her. He deserves that.

But I don't want him to be happier with her than he is with me. I don't think I could bear to see that. I don't think I could bear to see his grey eyes looking at her the same way he looks at me.

I looked up, and Theo was staring at me.

Blaise cleared his throat, jolting me out of my thoughts. He placed a white gift bag in front of Draco. "Open my gift, birthday boy."

Draco opened the bag, smiling immediately. He pulled out two small bottles, one dark green and one grey. Nail polish. Blaise shrugged. "Figured you could try colors other than black."

"Thanks, mate."

Suddenly all eyes were on me, on the orange envelope in my hand. "Oh, it's nothing much," I said, handing it to Draco.

He wiggled his brows at me playfully before opening the envelope and taking out two thin strips of white paper. "Tickets?"

I nodded. "They're for Elton John's concert in October."

Every single person's eyes bulged. Theo shot me a disappointed stare and complained, "What? That's completely unfair, Granger. You know how much I love Elton John."

I cocked my head at him. "I thought you like Queen."

Theo grinned. "Someone I know got me hooked on Elton." His eyes darted to Pansy briefly, and half a smile rose onto her lips.

I pulled out the other tickets from my pocket, fanning them out in my hand. "I was able to get three others, but they're separate seats so we're going to have to split up."

Pansy cheered ecstatically. "Good enough for me!"

Draco's eyes were soft, my favorite. "Thank you, Granger."

The corner of my mouth turned up a little, and I sent him the Malfoy smirk. "Of course."

We sat there, staring at each other. Theo made a small noise, standing up and backing towards the door, Blaise doing the same. Theo remarked slyly, "I'm gonna leave now because you could cut the sexual tension in here with a knife."

Pansy paled a little, pecking Draco's cheek quickly before following Theo, shaking her head. "So crass, Mr. Nott."

"As always, Miss Parkinson."

___

"Okay, the moment of truth."

Draco and I were in one of the Potion labs, bringing our final project to life just in time for the due date. Tomorrow was already the last day of the school year, the strangest and most eventful year yet.

I quickly scribbled a simple riddle onto a scrap of parchment: What weighs more, a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers? and tossed it into the cauldron.

The red potion bubbled, and the bubbles that formed rose into the air, creating a series of words suspended in the air like holograms. They weigh the same.

I clapped my hands excitedly, jumping up and down. "It works!"

Draco grinned, cocking his head at me as I did my little happy dance. "Never doubted you for a second, Granger."

"Do you think... Do you think it will work with the prophecy?"

"Only one way to find out."

I placed the rolled parchment in Draco's hand, crinkled from the dozens of times I rolled and unrolled it, and he stuck it into our potion. The bubbles rose and words formed.

In fall of 1996,

the stars will align

followed by a meteor shower

as a Death Eater lies to their master.

The war between Lord Voldemort

and Harry Potter

the outcome will be affected

and the path leading to it.

Hermione Granger

and Draco Malfoy

an explosion brings them together

and changes everything.

I immediately scribbled the words down. Draco raked a hand through his hair, eyes blown wide. "It's us."

A shudder coursed through me. "That's why seeing us together triggered Trelawney to recite the prophecy."

"So..." He stepped closer to the projected words, resting his chin on his knuckles. "We're the big change in the war?" He let out a short laugh. "Guess our friendship is pretty impactful, Granger, eh?"

I rolled my eyes, staring up at the words and furrowing my brow. "How am I a 'young bush' per se?"

Draco scanned me up and down, making a show of looking contemplative. His eyes lit up. "That crazy hair of yours explains it."

I giggled, punching him lightly on the shoulder. "Oh, go to hell."

Draco smirked, running his tongue across the inside of his mouth. "Gladly."

Looking up at him, something else clicked. "I understand now why you're a raging storm." I hesitated, feeling heat rise to my cheeks. "That's how I've described your eyes."

"Described to who, exactly?"

"My diary."

He put a hand on his chest, looking flattered. "I'm quite honored."

I shrugged with fake nonchalance, turning back to the analysis and squinting at the last few lines. "The potion left this line a little murky," I remarked, pointing at the specific line. "'An explosion brings us together?' Is that in a literal or metaphorical sense?"

Draco pressed his lips together, sliding his hands in the pockets of his black jumper. "For both our sakes, let's hope metaphorically."

I groaned, rubbing my face with hands. "I don't know how Harry and Ron will react to this."

"Then don't tell them."

I looked up. "What?"

His jaw twitched, and he stepped toward me, and I craned my neck to keep eye contact. "It'll probably just make them angry," He explained. "Plus, it only concerns you and me."

My eyes flicked to the floating words: Hermione Granger and Draco Malfoy. "You're right," I agreed. His eyes were warm, and my heart sped up a little. "Thank you. For helping me with all of this."

Draco nodded, his face solemn. "I told you, you don't have to do everything alone."

"It's a nice change."

"Plus, it's also our Potions Project, and I think it's safe to say we aced it."

I smiled, going over to the counter and slipping my notes back into my bag, Draco doing the same. My eyes caught on his nimble fingers, packing swiftly. "Your nail polish is chipped," I observed.

"I'm aware."

"Do you have the new colors Blaise gave you?"

His eyebrow crept up his forehead. "Yes." He reached into his pocket and set the small bottles on the counter.

I grinned cheekily. "Sit down, birthday boy."

Draco gave me a weird look but didn't object. I sat across from him, gently placing his hands on the table palms down. I waved my wand over his nails, the chipped black paint vanishing. After carefully examining each bottle, I decided the dark green was the way to go. And I couldn't hold in my smile when it registered on Draco Malfoy's face that I was painting his nails.

The parchment where I wrote the analyzed prophecy must have blown out of the open window while I was painting his nails. No big deal, it was already locked into my brain like everything else.

**added on January 12, 1997** Except it would be a big deal. The biggest mistake I could've made.

___

June 10, 1996

I was on time for the train this time. I had told Harry and Ron I needed to use the loo so I could say goodbye to my friends in peace.

Standing in the doorway of the section of the train where all the Slytherins tend to sit, Theo pulled me into a tight hug, wrapping his strong arms around my waist and resting his chin on my forehead. "Adieu, princess."

I pulled back, smiling widely up into my friend's affectionate brown irises. "Auf wiedersehen, Theo."

He winked before whisking away. Pansy appeared, twirling my curls on her fingers and resting them gracefully on my shoulders. "Work on doing your makeup on your own," she ordered.

I laughed a little, throwing my arms around her neck and hugging her close. She sighed, her arms coming up to hug me back. When she pulled away, her eyes were shining. "See you in a few months, babe."

I truly meant it when I replied, "Can't wait."

Blaise was next, and he simply grasped my hand and gave me a formal handshake, his spine straight. "It's been a pleasure."

I pressed my lips together, a little surprised by his formality. "Likewise, Zabini."

But he winked and came forward, hugging me swiftly and pressing a quick kiss onto my temple before pulling back. "I'm only joking, Granger. See you next year."

A giggle burst from my lips. "See you next year, Blaise." He saluted me before going to sit with Pansy and Theo.

And then it was Draco.

I did not hesitate to throw my arms around him, breathing in his familiar scent of mint and parchment. He instantly wrapped his arms around me, gripping my waist. I pulled back, keeping my hands on the back of his neck. I wasn't ready to say goodbye, yet here it was. His eyes made it harder: they were that soft grey of clouds that I love so much. My voice wavered when I said, "Promise me you'll write this summer."

"Every day."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2M 69.4K 80
"I've never...ever in my whole fucking life let someone in, but you have managed to infiltrate me in every sense of the word. I hate more than anythi...
117K 5.1K 55
"You're such a prick! I knew you hadn't really changed. You're just back to your old ways, torturing me." Harry can still feel Draco's hand around hi...
165K 9K 59
[176k words] A/N: It is in your best interest to check literally ANYTHING else I've ever published instead of reading this. Thank you!* Harry knew he...
2.9M 87.1K 40
It's dark in the closet, I can just vaguely see his features and realise how close we're standing. Like, really close. My chest is toughing his and m...