Masquerade ✔

By DragonsDreaming

Clara is thankful for the job she has on the Llewelyn family manor airship, and doesn't want to do anything t... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54

Chapter 14

110 3 13
By DragonsDreaming

A week later, Clara woke for the first time to silence instead of Emme's coughs. She panicked for half a second, rolling over, and breathing a sigh of relief when she saw Emme's chest rising and falling in a steady pattern.

Emme had steadily recovered over the past few days, but the second bottle of medicine would prove to be a lifesaver. If they stopped the treatment now, Emme would only get worse, and they would have no way to help her.

The strange sense of relief stayed with her as Clara travelled up to the Llewelyn manor. Stepping into Araminta's chambers, however, silence struck her, and the room was empty.

And not only empty, but clean, too. It looked as though Araminta hadn't even slept here the night before.

Clara went back out into the hallway as she heard footsteps approaching. To her surprise, she saw Andani hurrying toward her, a not completely calm expression on his face.

"Andani," Clara said as he approached. "What is going on?"

Andani glanced toward Araminta's door. "Oh, she left last night," he told her. "Not long after Lord and Lady Llewelyn." Araminta's parents had left to visit some other nobles the day before. They would be gone for a few days. "I thought she told you."

"She did not," Clara said, pursing her lips. She had no idea where Araminta would have gone.

"Well, I hate to add to your plate," Andani said sympathetically, "but a transport is on its way here."

"A transport? From where?"

"The Norrington manor."

Clara stared at him. "The Norringtons? Who's on it?"

"I'm not sure," Andani admitted. "But there's only one passenger."

That told Clara all she needed to know. Mr. and Mrs. Norrington would be aware that Lord and Lady Llewelyn were gone for a few days. And neither of them would have any reason to visit Araminta on their own. So that only left one person who it could be.

"Right," Clara said, struggling to keep panic (and a small amount of excitement) off of her face. "I guess I'll go greet our guest."

Andani gave her a doubtful look, but just walked beside her in silence down to the transport dock. "Where's Lucretia?" Clara asked as they waited for Harrison to arrive.

"She went down to earth last night."

"Really? Why?"

Andani shrugged. "She didn't say. But doesn't she have the day off?"

Clara cursed to herself. Lucretia did have the day off, although she still couldn't guess what she was doing on earth.

What was going on? Araminta gone, Lucretia on the ground for some reason, and Harrison coming unexpectedly? It's like the universe wanted Clara to suffer.

The transport docked, the doors slid open, and Harrison Norrington strode out, looking as handsome as ever in casual clothing.

Clara bowed her head briefly in greeting. "Good morning, sir," she said. "Welcome back to the Llewelyn manor."

"Hello Clara, it's nice to see you again," Harrison said. He turned to Andani. "I must apologize. I know we've met a few times, but I've never caught your name."

"Andani, sir," the transport operator said.

Harrison held out his hand, which Andani hesitantly took to shake.

"We were not expecting you, Mr. Norrington," Clara said, trying to save Andani from the odd interaction.

"I do apologize for that," Harrison said. "It's know it's not very proper to just show up, I know. I hope I'm not disturbing anything."

"No, you're not disturbing anything in the slightest," Clara answered truthfully. She gestured toward the door. "You're more than welcome."

"Thank you."

As Clara made to follow him into the manor, Andani grabbed her arm. "What the hell was that?" he whispered.

Clara glanced at the doorway Harrison had just disappeared through. "He's just like that," Clara told him. "He even asks his staff to call him by his first name."

Andani raised his eyebrows and watched Clara turn around and follow Harrison. She caught up to him, making sure to keep a few steps behind. She had no idea of his intentions.

"You know, it's rather difficult for you to tell me exactly what I'm not interrupting if you're walking behind me." Harrison stopped and turned around, a small smile forming at the corner of his lips.

Clara forced herself to not think about his lips. "I'd be more than happy to tell you, if you'd like." She took a few steps forward, and as she reached Harrison's side, he fell into step beside her.

"I'm afraid your trip will have been in vain," Clara told him. "There's actually no one here."

"I understand that Lord and Lady Llewelyn are away?"

"Yes, sir. And I assume you came to call on Lady Araminta?"

"That was my intention."

"Well, she is not here either." They reached the entrance room and Clara stopped, turning to face him. "You're welcome to wait for her, but I do not know when she'll be back."

"Aren't you her personal maid?" Harrison questioned.

"Do you tell your staff everything?" Clara immediately bit the inside of her cheek at her challenging words. They had just slipped out.

But Harrison laughed. "No, I suppose not." He looked around the sitting area. "I suppose I'll wait for a little while, as long as I won't get in your way."

"Of course not, sir," Clara said. "Is there anything I can get for you?"

"Only for you to finally call me 'Harrison,' as I've requested many times."

Clara repressed a smile. "I'm afraid, Mr. Norrington, the likelihood of that happening has only decreased now that you are here instead of at our own home," she told him. In one of their many conversations they had waiting for Araminta, Harrison had told her that the only thing he hated more than being called 'sir' was being called 'Mr. Norrington.'

"You know," Harrison said, "there is something you could do for me, Clara."

"Yes?" Clara loved the sound of her own name coming out of his mouth.

"Show me around."

"Sir?"

"I don't particularly want to sit around here, there's nothing to do. So show me this place. You probably know it better than the Llewelyns even."

Clara couldn't help but privately agree with him, but it wouldn't be proper to say that out loud. "Very well," she said. "If you would like. But I believe you've already seen most of what we have to offer, here."

Clara took him through all the spaces guests usually occupied—the dining room, the ballroom, the library, various halls of art—all places Harrison had already seen. He politely followed and listened to what she had to say, not speaking much. Clara could tell he was bored.

"And let me guess," Harrison said as Clara finished the tour, "you won't show me the parts of the ship that you frequent because it wouldn't be proper."

"A kitchen is a kitchen, sir," Clara said. "It doesn't matter what ship you're on. And no, it would not be proper for you to hang around the staff areas. Besides, you'd probably just get in the way."

A smile stretched across Harrison's face. "Tell me what you really think, Clara."

"I believe I just did. Now, shall I show you back to the sitting room?"

But Harrison didn't budge. "Are you sure there's nothing else you can show me?"

A crazy thought flashed across her mind, but in the time it took her to stow it away, Harrison had clearly read on her face that yes, she did have some place else to show. "Perfect," he said. "Let's go there."

Clara opened her mouth to argue, but shut it again at Harrison's hard stare. There would be no talking him out of it. "Alright, follow me."

Clara guided them to a back set of stairs and headed straight up. She was glad that the staircase was only wide enough for one person, so Harrison had to walk behind her. Clara gripped the railing and steadied her breathing with slow, deep breaths. She couldn't believe she was actually taking him up here. But it was too late to turn back now.

"This is my favorite place on the entire ship." They reached the very top of the stairs and Clara pushed open the door to a small room made up almost entirely of glass windows.

Harrison came up beside her. "Wow," he said, turning his head all around. "What is this place?"
"I'm not actually sure," Clara said. "But I think it used to be a music room."

"Why do you think that?"

She nodded toward a small stack of books and loose sheets of paper. Harrison went to examine the pages of sheet music. "I see."

"But I don't think anyone has been up here besides me in a long time," Clara said. "At least I've never seen anyone here."

"It's amazing," Harrison. He stared out into the distance, taking in the view.

As the highest point on the airship, the view stretched for miles. Clara observed Harrison carefully as he looked all around. Unlike most, he didn't flinch looking down at the earth.

"I figure that's where I live." Clara had no idea what had gotten into her, but she pointed down to a spot almost directly below them.

Harrison came and stood beside her and followed her gaze down. "Speaking of where you live," he said, "how is your family?"

Emme's condition flashed in the forefront of Clara's mind, and for one crazy moment she had the urge to tell him about the illness. "They're well, thank you for asking," she said. "But I also like it up here because you can see so far out." Clara pointed into the distance, where mountains rose in the distance. "The mountains, the trees, sometimes it all seems so fantastical that it actually exists. But then I come here and remember that it's not that far away."

Silence fell, and Clara felt her face burning. Harrison probably had traveled to such places many times. He had no need to hear her talk with such longing about spaces like that. He probably didn't think they were anything special.

"It is quite magical." Hmm, he actually agreed with her. "Have you ever been up here at night?"

"No, I haven't, actually."

Harrison looked straight up. "I imagine it would be stunning," he said. "Almost nothing between you and the stars."

Clara looked up as well. "Maybe I'll do that one day."

"You'll have to tell me how it is."

They both looked down and at each other at the same time, and Clara realized far too late that they were standing too close to each other. She took a step back. "Is there anything else you would like to see, sir?"

His stare was far too intense. "No, I think I've seen anything I could want to see."

Clara fidgeted under his gaze. "Well, then, I'll bring you back to the sitting room." Clara's skin felt hot as they descended from the music room, and not just because of all the stairs she had to descend.

They arrived back in the sitting room at just the right time. Just as Harrison sat down and Clara offered him something to eat or drink, Araminta floated into the room, dressed to perfection. It certainly didn't look as if she had been traveling.

"Sir, I greatly apologize," she said. "I hadn't realized you were paying me a visit today."

Harrison got up and kissed the back of her hand. "It is no trouble," he said. "I'm glad you are here now." Clara was grateful that he didn't say anything about the tour Clara had given him. She couldn't imagine that Araminta would react well to that.

Araminta looked over her shoulder at Clara. "You may leave us, Clara," she said.

Clara gave a small curtsey to both of them. "Lady Araminta. Mr. Norrington." Harrison gave her a small nod in return. 

Clara turned on her heel and left the room. Leaning against the closed door, Clara closed her eyes. Her heart pounded, her skin felt hot, and her fingers trembled.

Amyeliana was going to have a field day with all of this.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

68.4K 3.8K 33
Diana Truman is beautiful, rich, clever, and a princess. She is loved by everyone and is said to have the perfect life. But, her life is far from per...
710K 27.8K 65
Sophia Bennett, a 23 year old woman, looking for a job which will pay her enough to use that money to pay off the debt she had taken for her sister's...
56.7K 3.6K 44
Forbidden Affection; In the opulent halls of Castle Montclair, a forbidden love takes root amidst the shadows. Lady Amelia Von Montclair, the striki...
3.7K 498 12
Bound by the memories of the past, Clara Copper harbored a deep-seated aspiration to become a famous fashion designer and own a grand boutique. Howev...