NOT ABOUT ANGELS | THE WHITE...

By SweetScarlettAngel

❝you think Achilles was of impressive descent? touch me one more time❞ The one where King Edward IV is captiv... More

π’©π‘œπ“‰ π’œπ’·π‘œπ“Šπ“‰ π’œπ“ƒπ‘”π‘’π“π“ˆ
π’œπ’Έπ“‰ π’ͺ𝓃𝑒
Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
Chapter XXI
Chapter XXII
Chapter XXIII
Chapter XXIV
Chapter XXV
π’œπ’Έπ“‰ π’―π“Œπ‘œ
Chapter XXVI
Chapter XXVII
Chapter XXVIII
Chapter XXIX
Chapter XXX
Chapter XXXI
Chapter XXXII
Chapter XXXIII
Chapter XXXIV
Chapter XXXV
Chapter XXXVI
Chapter XXXVII
Chapter XXXVIII
Chapter XXXIX
Chapter XL
Chapter XLI
Chapter XLII
Chapter XLIII
Chapter XLIV
Chapter XLV
Chapter XLVI
Chapter XLVII
Chapter XLVIII
Chapter XLIX
Chapter L
Chapter LI
Chapter LII
Chapter LIII
Chapter LIV
Chapter LV
Chapter LVI
Chapter LVII
Chapter LVIII
π’œπ’Έπ“‰ 𝒯𝒽𝓇𝑒𝑒
Chapter LIX
Chapter LX
Chapter LXI
Chapter LXII
Chapter LXIII
Chapter LXIV
Chapter LXV
Chapter LXVI
Chapter LXVII
Chapter LXVIII
Chapter LXIX
Chapter LXX
Chapter LXXI
Chapter LXXII
Chapter LXXIV
Chapter LXXV
Chapter LXXVI
Chapter LXXVII
Chapter LXXVIII
Chapter LXXIX
Chapter LXXX
𝒯𝒾𝓂𝑒𝓁𝒾𝓃𝑒
AUTHOR'S NOTE
ACTS OF TREASON

Chapter LXXIII

585 30 3
By SweetScarlettAngel

A few days after the spectacle at the music room, before entering the dining hall with the rest of the royal court, Charlotte stood with Richard, Edmund, and Brackenbury, speaking of the upcoming war and their needed preparations. It was no longer a matter of if war would come, it was simply a matter of when.

"And how are our numbers in the North, Brackenbury?" Edmund questioned, raising a brow at the man.

"We are many, Your Grace," he answered and Edmund nodded. "The North is loyal to the Nevilles."

"Enough are loyal to make us strong?" Richard added in, a concerned look on his face. He had been President of the Council of the North for years. He knew its state and he knew that the Percys and the Talbots had enough ambition to believe they should have more power.

"With ease, my lord," Brackenbury replied as Megan, Anne and Lily walked over to join them, with Caitlin, Lizzie and Cecily behind them.

Anne stopped when she was standing in front of Richard, waiting for her husband to escort her into dinner.

Richard stared at his wife for a long moment, his lips parting slightly as he hesitated. "Lady Catherine," he called out, holding his hand out toward Caitlin instead. "May I walk you in to dine?"

People began to whisper amongst themselves as Caitlin nodded and made her way over to Richard. They locked hands before entering the dining hall, the rest of the royal court following close behind them.

─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────

"Mama! My Lady Anne!" Bess suddenly called out as she ran toward her mother alongside Maggie and Nora.

"Bess? What is it?"

"He said he was hot. But we were playing and then he fell asleep," Maggie informed them shakily and Anne's smile faded, understanding what she didn't say.

"Oh, no. No! Richard?!" She screamed out before running in the direction of her son's room, her husband following close behind her as the girls led the way.

"Oh, my baby Edward," Anne cried out as she and Richard leaned over both sides of the bed to reach their only son. "Edward?"

"Edward?" Richard called out to his son fearfully. "Is there pain? Tell me!"

"Help him, Richard! Help him!" Anne pleaded, on the verge of breaking down.

"I don't know how to help him," Richard shouted, beginning to be overwhelmed at the thought of losing his son.

Maggie, Nora and Nan stood in the doorway, trying not to cry at the sight of their cousin's dying body. Bess was sobbing as she leaned against the wall, watching her parents with her brother.

Charlotte suddenly appeared, tears already streaming down her face as she took in the image in front of her. She took hold of her nieces, daughter and stepdaughter and started to herd them out of the room.

"Nan, Maggie, Nora," she said softly. "I need you to go back to the nursery. I'll be there in a moment."

The girls nodded reluctantly and walked away as Charlotte took Bess into her arms and allowed her to cry into her shoulder.

"Richard, save him! Please help him," Anne continued to beg, beginning to sob at the sight of her son.

"My son," Richard whispered softly as he picked Edward up slightly, clutching him to his chest. "I command you to breathe!" He pleaded, beginning to tear up when he got no response. "I am the Duke of Gloucester and you will breathe for me..."

"Edward!" Richard sobbed, pressing his forehead against his dead son's. "My boy."

─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────

At the funeral, Richard, Edmund, Anthony, and Dickon assisted each other in bringing in the casket of little Ned.

Anne walked in, holding the hands of Teddy and Maggie as the men placed the casket down. She walked up to it, still holding the hands of her niece and nephew.

"My boy! My Edward!" She cried out, kneeling before the coffin.

"Anne?" Richard called out, holding his hand out to her.

Anne continued to look downwards, Maggie and Teddy standing on both sides of her. She didn't pay attention to her husband, too caught up in her own grief.

Caitlin glanced around uneasily as she stood beside her mother and sisters. She took a deep breath, just before stepping forward. She walked up to Richard, despite feeling uneasy about what she was about to do and how it would affect their family in the near future.

"Uncle Richard?" She called out, wanting to comfort him as he grieved, not caring about the fact that people would create even more rumors because of it.

She placed a hand on his shoulder, squeezing it in comfort.

Without hesitation, Richard had turned around to face Caitlin, the two of them hugging each other as Richard tried his hardest not to cry over his son's death in front of everyone.

Anne slowly looked up at the duo, beginning to cry even harder.

Charlotte and Anthony exchanged an uneasy look, watching as numerous people noticed what had happened. Charlotte sighed, frustrated. Today, of all days, they should stop with the charade.

Lord Stanley and Lord Strange turned to each other as well, exchanging a look.

─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────

Caitlin was standing on the balcony of the second floor. Richard had been walking down the hallway when he saw her. Despite feeling hesitant, he found himself walking over to her. He stood to her left, the two of them beginning to look around, admiring the stars at that moment.

Caitlin smiled slightly, grabbing his hand. She squeezed it in comfort, not thinking anything of it. "How is she? How is Aunt Anne?"

Richard sighed in defeat, feeling even more guilty now after Caitlin dared to mention Anne. "Not well," he admitted, looking down at the ground as Caitlin continued to hold his hand. "She is taking our son's death hard."

"She has every reason to. He was her boy, her only boy," Caitlin murmured. "She must think she has nothing."

Richard slowly looked back over at Caitlin, furrowing her eyebrows in confusion. "She has me," he reminded her. "She has me and she has Bess."

Caitlin scoffed at his statement and shook her head. "And what attention have you given to her lately, Uncle Richard, other than to snap at her when she tries to voice her opinion?"

Richard groaned, letting go of Caitlin's face to place both of his own hands over his face. "Not you too..."

"Whatever Aunt Anne has said, she is most likely right —" she began to defend her aunt, only to have Richard interrupt her.

"She thinks I'm in love with you," Richard snapped and he studied her features closely, waiting for a reaction.

"Are you?" Caitlin asked simply, brushing a hand through her hair instead of reacting outwardly. She looked neither angry nor upset, which was what he had expected. It was as though she already knew the truth.

Richard's lips parted, trying to decide whether to lie or to tell the truth. He didn't want to lie to his niece or to break her heart, but it was causing issues with Anne and soon enough, it would cause issues with Bess. He went with the second option. "Of course not."

She nodded, continuing to look him directly in the eyes. "Good," she simply stated, causing him to give her a curious look. "I am your wife's niece. Your brother's stepdaughter. Such a thing is forbidden in the eyes of God and I would never shame my family in such a way."

"I know that," he said calmly in a low tone.

"I am not a fool, Uncle Richard," Caitlin said after a pause. "I know the only reason you have sought me out is because of Tudor. But, please stop. You're hurting my aunt and my mother suffers because of it. Not to mention Edmund. What's done is done. It need not go any further. People will think me to be soiled and that serves us just as well."

─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────

Richard paused at the door. He just could not leave her alone, not like this, not today of all days. He took a deep breath, closing his eyes for a moment.

He could not deny Anne's words had been hurtful. Accusing him of not loving her, of murdering his nephews... But he could not bring himself to leave her alone, not on the night they'd buried their boy.

Anne stiffened and turned her head away as Richard got onto the bed with her. Had she not made it clear? She did not believe he loved her, honestly she doubted he ever had. He'd gone to Caitlin at Ned's funeral, so why not just go to her now?

"I am not leaving you alone tonight, of all nights," Richard said as he stretched out next to her on the bed.

Anne did not turn her head to face him as she replied. "Why tonight of all nights? What does it matter?"

"Anne..." he reached out to touch her, and although her body was still stiff she did not turn away.

"Do not..." she shook her head. "Tell me why does tonight matter so much?"

"You really think I could leave you alone on the night we buried our son?" He asked softly.

"You left me alone while he was sick. You left me alone on the day he died! Why is this night so different?"

Richard brushed his fingers lightly against her hair. "We buried our boy today," his voice choked as he said the words.

Anne finally turned her head on the pillow and looked at him. She was shocked to see Richard was crying. "Yes, we did," she whispered, not bothering to hide her own tears.

He gently wiped her tears away, and after a moment she slowly reached out and did the same, her fingers lingering on his face. It was the first time they'd really touched in weeks. Richard turned his head slightly, kissing her palm. After a few moments of tracing his face with her fingers, Anne's hands moved down to his waist and she started to undo the belt which held his dagger. A clear invitation for him to stay with her. Richard moved to help her with the belt, and let it fall to the floor.

It was almost like the way they used to be, thinking and moving almost as one. As Richard's arms encircled her waist and pulled her closer, Anne let herself bury her head against his chest. Was she still angry with him? Yes, she was, but in those moments she wanted to feel him holding her, to let herself think that he loved her.

"You should let me go," she murmured after several moments.

"What?" Richard said, totally shocked, and not following her thoughts at all.

"We've lost our boy," she whispered. "Your heir, you should let me go. Marry someone who can give you sons."

"How can you..." His fingers were under her chin, urging her to look up at him. When she finally did, Richard kissed her deeply, passionately, it was as if he was trying to pour every ounce of love he felt for her into that one kiss.

When Anne pulled away, needing to breathe, Richard kissed down her throat. "I love you," he murmured, kissing her again. "You and only you, truly and forever. Always have and nothing will ever change that. Bess is more than enough for me if you do not give me another child. Do not doubt my love for you, Anne, that is all I ask of you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

307K 8.6K 64
In which King Edward IV finds himself captivated by a woman he cannot have and no matter how many years pass or how hard he tries, he is unable to gi...
249K 7.5K 123
- πΉπ‘œπ‘Ÿπ‘’π‘£π‘’π‘Ÿ π‘šπ‘Žπ‘¦ π‘¦π‘œπ‘’ π‘Ÿπ‘’π‘–π‘”π‘› - It's the year 1464 and Eleanor Woodville lives at Grafton Manor as one of the younger daughters of Jacqu...
2K 51 10
If anyone has read my York and Neville story, you know who this is about, this is a what if story, based on York and Neville, but it will be centered...
558 1 12
Divorced, Beheaded, Died. Divorced, Beheaded, Survived. Everyone knows the wives rhyme. King Henry VIII had three legitimate children from three diff...