I Don't Want You Like A Best...

By JReezyyyy

Ahead of the final matches of the 2019 World Cup, Y/n Lacari (Lack-ar-ee) comes out as non binary, gaining wo... More

1
2
3
4
5
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35

6

8.4K 361 112
By JReezyyyy

Y/N POV

As expected, a good 90% of the team was pretty hungover the next morning, as we packed and prepared for our flight back to the states, which from the looks of it, was highly anticipated.

Social media had been buzzing since yesterday after the win, talking nonstop about the team and the excitement about us taking home the gold. It was actually quite cool to see how many people had been following our progress over the course of the tournament, and how many new fans we had gained since the last World Cup.

Taylor has also been a big topic among the fans since she was seen hanging out with us the last few days, and it seemed the whole world couldn't get enough.

I wasn't really one for a lot of attention, so it was a bit daunting, but I appreciated the fact that the team was finally starting to get the recognition we deserved.

---------------------------

My friends and I exited the bus, wheeling our suitcases and carrying our bags towards the steps of the private plane USSF had chartered for us.

Most of us just sat how we did on the bus, with Ash, Tobin, Ali, Christen, Pinoe and I sitting in the back, while Alex, Kelley, Allie, and Crystal sat more towards the middle.

The inside of the jet wasn't like normal airplanes, with a tiny isle and assigned seating. Instead it had twenty five large, and very comfortable reclining chairs complete with tables and cup holders.

The flight back to the US was just under eleven hours, and since most of us still had headaches from last night, we all ended up sleeping the whole trip back.

----------------------------

After getting settled in our hotel in Manhattan, the team had dinner and then went to bed early, wanting to prepare for the parade tomorrow morning, and our interviews in the afternoon.

We had one entire team interview on good morning America before the parade, and then Carli, Alex, and Becky had one on around lunch time at the today show, and I had one that night with Jimmy Fallon, which was quite exciting.

All in all, tomorrow was going to be a super busy day, and I did not want to be completely exhausted. 

Currently Ash and I were in our hotel room, chilling in our beds while on our phones. We still had a set curfew since the season wasn't quite over yet, but there was still a good ten minutes before lights out, which I spent playing Plants VS Zombies since social media was a total zoo, and I really wasn't in the mood for more Joe and Taylor pictures.

Speaking of Taylor, I was in the middle of annihilating the final wave when the woman in question texted me for the first time since I had texted her this morning, to let her know the team would be going to her concert this Friday.

Taylor: Hey :)

It was difficult to ignore the sudden jump of my heart when I saw her name pop up on my phone, but I pushed it down, though couldn't hold back my smile.

Me: Hey  

Taylor: You guys have a good flight?

Me: Yeah, we all just slept through it lol hbu

Taylor: I'm safe and sound :D got home about an hour ago

Me: That's good 😄 Are you also jet lagged as hell or just me

Taylor: I am, unfortunately. You excited for the parade tomorrow?

Me: Definitely :)

Taylor: I hear you're going on Jimmy Fallon, I'll have to watch that :>

Me: Watch me embarrass myself on national TV  😸

Taylor: Lmao you won't, it'll be fine. You're a professional  😌

Me: I suppose we'll see  🙊

Taylor: I suppose we will 😎

I wished I could keep talking to her, but my eyelids were growing too heavy, and it was difficult to stay awake.

Taylor: You should get some sleep. You guys must be exhausted, and you'll need energy tomorrow

Me: But I don't wanna :/

Taylor: Y/n, go to bed 🙄

Me: Fine 😒

Taylor: 😌 good night

Me: night :)

----------------------------------

Everyone woke up at the ass crack of dawn the next morning, eating a quick breakfast before loading onto the busses to head to the studio for hair and makeup, before we were due on set for GMA.

I was guzzling coffee as a cute woman did my hair, which didn't take long at all, and then I was given matching grey sweatpants and a sweatshirt with the team logo on it to wear for our segment.

---------------------------------

Robbin Roberts stood center stage, a fairly large studio audience in front of her, as she introduced us.

"Please welcome, the Untied States National soccer team!"

Everyone applauded as we walked on, taking our seats next to Robin.

"Tell me, how are you guys feeling? You just won two world cups back to back, and had one of your best seasons yet."

We took turns answering her questions, trying to be as efficient as possible so everyone could talk at least once.

Most of the interview was spent with Robin asking us about our preparations for the tournament, how we felt during our games, and what are plans for the future are.

It was a bit challenging to say everything we wanted since there was so many of us, but we made it work, and wrapped up the interview in around twenty minutes.

As we headed backstage, Jill informed everyone that we had an hour to get ready for the parade, and that we needed to be at the floats by 9.

My teammates and I changed into lighter clothing since it was going to be a warm day for once in New York, and then got back on the bus and drove down to the Financial District in Manhattan.

--------------------------------

The following hours were kind of a blur, as so much was happening at once it was a bit overwhelming.

Between the thousands of fans lining the streets, and the bits of paper raining down on us as our floats moved by, it was a lot to take in, but it was such a cool experience.

Ash, Allie, Alex, Kelley, Christen, Tobin, Pinoe, Ali, Crystal, and I took a bunch of pictures together, posing with fans and each other, enjoying the moment.

We were nearing the finale of the parade when the song changed, and Welcome To New York, by the one and only Taylor Swift, began to play loudly, a ton of people singing along.

All I could think about was the pop star and what she was doing now, finding myself wishing that she was here by my side, sharing the moment with me. 

"SING WITH US Y/N!" Pinoe, Kelley, and Alex shouted over all of the noise, and I grinned, unable to resist, and joined my friends, who waved and danced to the song.

-----------------------------

I must have drank a gallon of water between the time the parade ended, and when I was due at NBC for my interview with Jimmy Fallon.

Drinking beer at eleven in the morning probably wasn't the smartest move, but hey, I'm allowed to celebrate.

I'll just have to deal with constantly being severely hungover.

I was sitting back stage, in my dressing room, just having finished hair and makeup, and now I was waiting to be called on.

"It is my honor to announce our next guest, two time World Cup Champion, and Olympic Gold Medalist, everyone please welcome Y/n Lacari!" Jimmy exclaimed, the audience exploding with cheers and applause.

The stage manager who was back there with me nodded, giving me my cue, and I quickly walked on, squinting slightly at the sudden bright lights in my face.

Despite that, I could see the huge crowd, going wild, and it filled me with pride.

I nodded at them before walking over to Jimmy, who greeted me with a big smile, then gestured for me to take a seat.

"Oh man, tell us how you're doing Y/n. I mean two world cups back to back? That's insane!"

"Um I'm doing very well. A little hungover," I joked, laughing with the audience. "But I'm good."

"Obviously this tournament has probably been the biggest yet for your team in terms of viewership and coverage- how has that changed how you guys play- if at all?"

"I don't think it really changes our play style, but I do think that it adds a lot more pressure and more reason to play the best we can in every match. With more eyes comes more scrutiny, and it's definitely tough when you're competing against other teams but also society, and the people who always pit us against the mens leagues. I think it's good to give women's sports more coverage because that allows younger people who aren't boys to see themselves represented on a big stage, and that's incredibly important."

The brunette nodded. "I love that. So switching gears a bit here, you made headlines last month when you came out on Instagram as trans masculine non binary- I'm sure you've talked a lot about it since then, but I am curious if you'd be willing to tell us a little more about how you sort of came to that realization, and why you chose to tell the world?"

Adjusting my position slightly, I gathered my thoughts. "I think it was something I've always sort of known from a young age. I never liked being called 'she' or a 'girl' or anything like that. One of the beauties about being born intersex is that I don't struggle with bottom dysphoria, and I think that helped me when I started puberty. My chest really was the biggest issue for me because it felt so off to have, and so once I came out to my friends and got top surgery, everything fell into place, and I knew I had finally arrived at a point in my life where my body was no longer something I needed to worry about. With that gone, I could focus on other things with the attention that I had been using up with my dysphoria. Coming out to friends and family opened my eyes to the bigger, systemic issue in our society of the alienation and continuing attempt and ignoring trans people. Years ago I was gifted a platform, which has grown much larger since then, and I want to use it to boost trans voices and to spread awareness, because I'm just one, very lucky and very privileged example, but there are millions of trans people in this world who need our help."

Jimmy asked me a couple more questions, mostly about my coming out journey, before moving on.

"A lot of celebrities commented on your post, giving you tons of support and love- a couple being Elliot Page, Blake Livley, and Lauren Jauregui, though we couldn't help but notice the video of Taylor Swift, where she reacted to it- it's now gone viral with over twenty million views, was that the first time she's talked about you?"

I chuckled, my cheeks burning slightly from embarrassment at the mention of the blond, who had said she was watching the interview. "Uh yeah, yeah it was. She's best friends with Alex Morgan, who I'm sure you all know, so they've known each other for a while, but I hadn't met her or ever talked to her until she went to the semi finals match against England."

"Now you guys are best buds, right?" Jimmy asked, laughing.

I shrugged, laughing as well. "I mean maybe, I don't know. She's a very, very sweet person though. Super fun to hang out with." I wanted to say more, but knew that that would probably start a bunch of drama, especially with Joe and Taylor being a thing. The last thing I wanted was for the Swifties to come after me.

"Well you two have been hanging out a lot the last few days...is it safe to say Taylor is joining the team?"

"I have yet to ask, but I'm not against it. As long as I get to be a backup dancer."

The audience snickered.

"I'd pay to see that."

After a couple more questions we played a game of Box of Lies, which was a lot of fun, and then we wrapped things up and I headed back to the hotel, arriving at 11:30, utterly exhausted.

Most of my teammates were already asleep, but Ash was awake when I entered, the TV on.

"Hey man, Jimmy Fallon looked fun." She smiled.

I pulled off my shoes and flopped onto my bed, sighing. "It was, but I'm so fucking tired, jesus christ."

Just then, my phone buzzed with a text in my pocket.

Taylor: Well I certainly enjoyed that.

A smiled immediately made it's way onto my face.

Me: I didn't embarrass myself too much, did I?

Taylor: Oh no, not at all. Glad to know you think I'm sweet :>

Me: Well you are, but even if you weren't I wouldn't bad mouth you on national tv lmao

Taylor: fair enough

I was about to send her another text, when a Twitter notification popped up.

It was a DM from...

Joe Alwyn.

Joe: Stay away from my girl, or we're gonna have a problem.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

59.7K 2.7K 38
Fresh off of her intense break up with John Mayer, Taylor Swift is unable to write the love songs that her label thinks will round out her newest alb...
385K 25.6K 47
Dear Rory, I'm sorry about what I said. I'm leaving for LA in two days. Can we talk before then, please? We can just drive around as usual. I do...
4.7K 172 17
"Did you have to do this? I was thinking that you could be trusted" -Taylor Swift ================== It's been two years since Hunter betrayed Y/N. T...
15.4K 253 10
Y/n is Tubbo's twin and the two met up with a bunch of friends and stream a lot. Y/n has tortes and they have social anxiety. Their tics aren't that...