Angelfall (Skyfall #2)

By marcyswales17

"Oh what an adventure it would be to die..." More

Ch.1 Lover
Ch.2 Play Along
Ch. Baklava
Ch. 4 Undress
Ch.5 Green with Envy
Ch.6 The Human Brain
Ch. 7 Innocence
Ch.8 Onions
Ch.9 Sounds
Ch.10 Good Girls
Ch.11 Play the System
Ch.12 All things nice
Ch.13 Little Fairy
Ch. 14 Take me home
CH.15 Gifts
Ch.16 Be Nice!
Ch.17 A family Effort
Ch.18 Ruby Red
Ch.19 Trust in me
Ch.20 Leave a message
Ch.21 No cream, one sugar
Ch.22 Autura
Ch.23 Bees and Honey
Ch.24 Just a drop
Ch.25 The night changes
Ch.26 And there she was...
Ch.27 Puzzle Pieces
Ch.28 Strangers
Ch. 29 Thunder
Ch.30 Vestal
Ch. 31 Clay Doll
Ch.32 Caveman
Ch. 33 Cry me a river
Ch.35 Fresh start and flowers
Ch.36 Heart to heart
Ch. 37 Time out
Ch.38 Soul's Solace
Ch.39 Like it's your last day
Ch.40 Promises of Forever
Ch.41 Bath time
Epilogue

Ch.34 Introductions

5.8K 585 137
By marcyswales17

Chapter 34

Hayden ran his hand through his hair as he waited for the barista to pour his coffee. He felt tired to his bones and he was pretty sure anyone who looked at him would be able to tell. The muscles in his back ached from having slept in that uncomfortable chair in the hospital. His head was pulsing and his limbs felt as heavy as led.

"Milk and sugar?" The girl behind the counter asked.

"No," Hayden said, pulling out his wallet.

Paying as quickly as he could, Hayden grabbed his coffee and turned towards the emergency infermery the palace had set up. He zig zagged past the nurses walking around the mobile trailers while the construction crew worked overtime to clean up after the aftermath of Kiara. Maksim had been kind enough to let the doctors set up Nora in one of the guest bedrooms in the palace. Hayden didn't like the idea of her being in any random hospital.

As he climbed the stairs to the third floor, his eyes caught on Elian coming out of Annabelle's room with a large bag. Hayden paused and waited for the boy to walk over to where he stood.

"Going somewhere?" he asked.

"Annabelle is," Elian said. "She's scared to stay here. Her doctor recommended she stay elsewhere for a few."

Hayden slowly nodded. He wasn't too sure how much Annabelle had seen. But it was enough to traumatize the young girl. Maksim did his best to keep her calm while Ella recovered. But seeing her own mother in the hospital only added to Annabelle's fear of staying in the palace. Hayden knew it was probably Owen's idea to have the kids go stay with him and Mavi in Juniper while Ella recovered and Maksim stayed busy with the infirmary renovations.

"Were you here?" Hayden asked, looking at Elian.

"No," Elian sighed. "But I wish I was....mom and Bell..."

"There wasn't much we could have done," Hayden said, feeling his own heart contract as he remembered the sound of Nora's body hitting the floor.

"Are you okay?" Elian asked as he watched Hayden flinch.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm fine," Hayden nodded. "Tell Annabelle I'll come and see her in Juniper soon."

Elian nodded before stepping around and hurrying down the stairs with his twin sister's bag. Hayden stood at the top of the stairs and watched the boy disappear before he turned towards Nora's room.

"Hayden,"

Before Hayden could turn, Killian's voice stopped him once more. He turned and found the tall boy standing by one of the other guest bedrooms beside Nora's room.

"How's Nora?" Killian asked.

"She's okay," Hayden said. "How's Kiara?"

"Still unconscious."

"Yeah...so is Nora," Hayden sighed. "How's Lila?"

"She's good," Killian said.

"And you?"

Killian didn't answer. Hayden felt like an idea for asking such a question.

Killian didn't need to answer for Hayden to know how broken and dead he was inside. The light was almost out in his eyes. The little flickers were only for his daughter's sake....everything else to him was dead.

Hayden felt a rush of panic and pressure rise in his chest imagining what he would have done if Nora was in Kiara's shoes. He couldn't imagine ever looking at those brown eyes knowing that she didn't remember anything. He couldn't do it....just thinking about it made him want to throw up.

"Killian..." Hayden began slowly.

But what did one say to someone in Killian's position?

Hayden struggled with finding the right words for a while before giving up and sighing in defeat. He watched Killian turn the door knob and walk into the room. He too knew there were no words that could ever stop the storm in his chest.

After a few more seconds of staring at Kiara's door, Hayden turned towards Nora's. He gripped the door knob and pushed the door open as quietly as he could. The curtains were drawn across the large windows, drawing the room in muted sunlight. It felt strange to hear the rain sounds while watching the sunlight come in through the window, but Hayden figured Nora would like it.

Walking over to the side of the bed, Hayden sat down his coffee on the small table and pulled his chair closer. His chest still ached from seeing Killian. His throat was dry and his mind littered with horrifying what if situations. Picking up Nora's hand, he brought it to his lips and pressed a light kiss.

"Wake up," he whispered. "Please....I'll be nice, I promise."

The heart monitor beeped in the room over the sound of the rain coming from Hayden's phone.

"I won't yell at Birdie, I'll apologize to my parents, I'll give Enzo a raise.....anything you want," Hayden cradled Nora's small hand in his and brought it to his face. "Please....just wake up."

The monitor continued to beep in a slow steady rhythm. Hayden's gaze stayed glued on Nora's sleeping face as he held her hand and pressed kisses to the tips of her fingers.

The uncertainty of not knowing what was going on in Nora's mind was torture. According to the doctors, her body was completely healed. Not a single scratch left.

Clare and Heyder were stunned when they discovered what Hayden had done. They couldn't believe he was able to maintain his control over his magic long enough to heal Nora from the hands of death. But Hayden didn't know how to put into words the way he felt whenever he was around Nora. It was as if his two sides were finally at balance, swirling and mixing freely without conflict.

He had experienced the feeling before, the first time he kissed Nora. But back then he was too distracted by the feel of her lips and the feel of her body under him to recognize just how blissful his torment had turned.

However, holding Nora's broken body and fearing for her life, Hayden had pulled on all of his strength in a desperate attempt to keep her. He didn't know what would happen. It was the first time he had ever called upon both of his magics at once. If it meant burning up and falling to ashes, Hayden was ready to take the chances.

But as he sat with Nora bleeding in his arms, the most wonderful sensation of feeling complete and whole took over. Hayden pushed his energy into Nora and crushed her to his chest, breathing life into her. He would never forget the moment he felt her heartbeat rise up to match his.

"Nora," Hayden said once more, looking at the girl and touching her cheek. "Wake up...talk to me, please. You're too quiet."

_______________________________

"Yeah," Killian spoke into the phone as he rubbed his forehead. "Her appointment is at 4."

"I'll take Lila," Posey said on the line. "Don't worry."

"No, no," Killian shook his head. "I'll take her. It's fine."

"Killian," Posey sighed. "Stay with Kia. I'll take care of Lila."

"Thanks..." Killian's eyes flickered up. "Lila's doct-"

The way Killian's heart jumped could have killed him if he had been a mortal. His brain shut off for a split second before flying through a range of emotions at the speed of light. The phone in his hands almost dropped and shattered on the floor as he sat staring at Kiara.

"Killian?" Posey called to him from the other side.

Kiara's eyes fluttered once and then twice.

Killian held his breath as he watched her lift her thick lashes.

"Kia..." the name fell out of his lips without him realizing it.

"Killian?" Posey's voice picked up. "What's going on?"

Kiara squinted against the harsh light in the room and groaned. She turned her head and tried to bury her face in the pillows.

"Posey..." Killian rose from the chair. "She's up."

"Kia?" Posey's voice cracked. "She's up? What's happening? I'm on my w-"

Killian didn't wait for her to finish. He dropped his phone and reached out for Kiara's hand.

"Kiara?"

Kiara opened her eyes and their gaze met. She pulled away from his touch and her brows knit together in great confusion.

"Hi..." Killian said, breathlessly watching the brown in those eyes he was in love with.

Kiara just started.

"I'm going to get the doctor," Killian said, touching the edge of her face. "You're okay. You're safe. I'm here, Kia."

Kiara's lips parted as she stared in confusion at the boy speaking to her with tears in his eyes. Killian reached back and pressed the button for the nurse as he began to help Kiara sit up. He was dying to pull her into his arms and hold her to make himself believe she was truly awake.

Rushed by the amount of times Killian pressed the call button, Piper and the nurses all ran up to the room. Clare heard the commission from the lawns and immediately portaled herself into the room.

"Killian, I'm going to have to ask you to step back," Piper said as she pulled on a fresh pair of gloves.

Killian didn't argue. He wanted all the procedures done as quickly as possible. His heart was beating so fast he knew Clare could feel it. His gaze flickered up and met her across the bed.

"Hi, Kiara," Piper said gently as she checked Kiara's eyes and then her pulse. "How are you feeling?"

"Fine..." Kiara looked down at where Piper's fingers felt her pulse.

"Any dizziness?"

Kiara shook her head.

"Take a deep breath for me," Piper placed her stethoscope behind the girl's back.

Clare and Killian wait impatiently as Tobias and Posey portaled into the room with Lila. Kiara looked up and Killian heard Posey let out a small sob.

"Piper?" Clare called to her sister.

"Almost done," Piper said, taking off the stethoscope. "Kiara, follow my finger with your eyes."

Kiara tore her gaze away from Posey and followed Piper's finger.

"So?" Tobias asked, taking a step forward.

"Everything looks fine," Piper turned to look at the god. "But don't take her home just yet. I would still like to keep her for obse-"

"Excuse me," Kiara's voice stopped Piper.

Everyone in the room turned to look at the girl. Clare held her breath as she watched the way Kiara's eyes bounced around.

"Yes, love?" Piper smiled.

Kiara's eyes lingered on Posey and the baby before she dragged her gaze to Tobias and then to Killian. She hesitated for a few seconds before gripping the blanket and pulling it a bit closer.

"Where am I?" She asked.

"At the palace," Piper said.

"Where is that?"

Piper tilted her head slightly, "In Romania...."

"How..." Kiara looked around once more. "How did I get here?"

With each question Kiara asked, Clare could see the light in Tobias eyes dim more and more. She couldn't read his emotions, but she knew walking into the room Tobias and Posey were both holding on to the hope that their daughter was still in there somewhere.

"You were hurt.." Piper said slowly. "Killian brought you to me."

Kiara frowned, "Who?"

Clare shut her eyes and dug her nails into her palm. Piper looked up as Killian stood beside her. His face was pale and lifeless.

"Killian," Piper motioned towards the boy.

Kiara's eyes flickered up. She stared at Killian with empty eyes and a blank expression on her face.

"Kiara," Piper gently touched the girl's hand. "What's my name?"

Kiara pulled her hand away, "I....I don't know."

Piper pulled back and looked at Clare. She arched her brow and silently asked her sister to provide some kind of an explanation.

Beside Clare, Tobias had fixed his eyes on the window. His jaw worked as he tried to keep his composure. His hand gripped Posey's hand tightly as the tall woman let the tears roll down her face. When no one in the room said anything, Piper turned back to Kiara.

"What's your name?" she asked.

Kiara opened her mouth but paused. She looked up at Killian and then back to Piper.

"I...." She struggled. "My name...."

Killian couldn't feel any of his body parts. He didn't know if he was standing or sitting, breathing or dying, laughing or crying...his mind was just numb.

"Yes," Piper nodded. "What is your name?"

"Kiara?" Kiara questioned.

Piper's face fell, "Who is this?"

Kiara looked up as Piper touched Killian's arm, "You said....Killian?"

Piper nodded, "Who is he to you?"

"To me?" Kiara asked.

Piper nodded once more, "Yes. Do you know him?"

"No," Kiara shook her head. "I....I don't know him."

"What about them?" Piper pointed to Posey and Tobias.

"I..." Kiara visibly became distressed. "I don't know who they are." 

Sorry it was short :/ 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.3K 550 7
❝IF I COULD BE HONEST FOR ONE DAY, EVEN JUST FOR A SPLIT SECOND, I'D TELL YOU THAT I'M HURTING. AND I MEAN REALLY HURTING.❞ ALL RIGHTS RESERVED | 201...
86 0 197
:)))))
14 1 1
An unexpected twist into a world of wonders
329K 27K 43
The fallout of war can be deadly.