Angelfall (Skyfall #2)

By marcyswales17

"Oh what an adventure it would be to die..." More

Ch.1 Lover
Ch.2 Play Along
Ch. Baklava
Ch. 4 Undress
Ch.5 Green with Envy
Ch.6 The Human Brain
Ch. 7 Innocence
Ch.8 Onions
Ch.9 Sounds
Ch.10 Good Girls
Ch.11 Play the System
Ch.12 All things nice
Ch.13 Little Fairy
Ch. 14 Take me home
CH.15 Gifts
Ch.16 Be Nice!
Ch.17 A family Effort
Ch.18 Ruby Red
Ch.19 Trust in me
Ch.20 Leave a message
Ch.21 No cream, one sugar
Ch.22 Autura
Ch.23 Bees and Honey
Ch.24 Just a drop
Ch.25 The night changes
Ch.26 And there she was...
Ch.27 Puzzle Pieces
Ch.28 Strangers
Ch. 29 Thunder
Ch.30 Vestal
Ch. 31 Clay Doll
Ch.32 Caveman
Ch.34 Introductions
Ch.35 Fresh start and flowers
Ch.36 Heart to heart
Ch. 37 Time out
Ch.38 Soul's Solace
Ch.39 Like it's your last day
Ch.40 Promises of Forever
Ch.41 Bath time
Epilogue

Ch. 33 Cry me a river

6.8K 585 404
By marcyswales17

Chapter 33

Hayden stood by the side of Lidia's bed as Nora held the unconscious woman's hand and wept silently. Her big brown eyes were filled to the brim with tears. Her small button nose was read as a cherry and the apples of her cheeks matched. Hayden had given her his sweater to wear over the baggy shirt birdie had given Nora. he watched as she sat on the chair by the bed, almost drowning in his clothes.

"Nora," Hayden called to her gently. "Please stop crying. Piper said she'll be just fine."

Nora looked up and her eyes filled with more tears instantly. Her chin quivered as she bit down on her bottom lip. She wiped her eyes with the back of her hand, but missed most of it from the way her hand shook. Hayden walked around the bed to the other side and reached out.

"Please stop," he begged. "You passed out just a few hours ago. This isn't good for you."

Nora nodded. She let him hold her wrists down to her lap as he reached up with his other hand and wiped her tears. His skin was so warm she wanted to melt into him. Her feet were ice cold and her legs were covered with goosebumps. Nora had the uncontrollable urge to climb into his lap to seek his warmth.

"Are you cold?" Hayden asked, noticing how she shivered.

Nora nodded once more. She was hoping he would pull her closer but instead he raised his hand and snapped his fingers. A pair of jeans appeared around her legs and her feet were stuffed into thick socks. Nora quickly tugged at the sleeves of Hayden's sweater and pulled up her legs.

"Better?" Hayden asked, pushing back Nora's hair from her face.

"Thank you," Nora managed to say.

A small smile appeared on Hayden's face as he let his hand linger on the edge of her face. He held her gaze for a few seconds as her words swam around in his heart.

Anything for you, he wanted to say.

"Lidia is going to be okay," Hayden promised her. "Nothing will happen. She's safe. They caught Banks. He's in custody."

Nora nodded once more, making a strange sound in the back of her throat. Hayden's chest tightened as she tried to pull herself together. He wanted to pull her into his arms and hold her on his lap. But before he could, the door to the hospital room opened and a tall blonde with a heartwarming smile walked in quietly.

Nora's eyes widened as she spotted the woman and she immediately jumped up to her feet. Hayden let out a small sigh and slowly rose up to stand beside her.

"Hey, Ell," he gave a nod towards the blonde.

"Hi, baby," Ella's smile spread as she stepped farther into the room.

Nora used the sleeves of Hayden's sweater to wipe her eyes as Ella walked up to Hayden and kissed his cheeks. He greeted her warmly and kissed her back before turning to look at Nora beside him.

"Ella, this is Nora Kennedy," he said. "Nora, this is Ella."

"Your grace," Nora bowed.

"We met before," Ella smiled. "But you were unconscious so I don't think it counts."

Nora tried to smile but it didn't really work out. Hayden quietly reached down and took her hand and held it in his warm ones as Ella reached out and wrapped her arms around Nora.

"I am so sorry about all this, Nora," the queen apologized. "I hired Dr. Banks myself. And to find out he's affiliated with Skyfall......I'm speechless."

"It's not your fault," Nora said quietly.

"This has taken all of us by surprise," Ella frowned, pulling back. "It seems like day by day project skyfall keeps getting closer and closer to home."

Hayden snorted, thinking about his aunt and her husband. Ella's gaze flickered up at him briefly before she turned to Nora once more.

"Is there anyone we can call for you?" She asked. "Any family or friends? It's okay if they're not close by. We can portal them here."

As Hayden watched, Nora's eyes dimmed a little. Tears gathered at the corners once more as she shook her head and smiled.

"I don't-" she tried but her voice shook. "I don't really have any family other than Lidia."

Hayden felt his heart squeeze painfully. He wanted Ella to leave so he could pull Nora into his arms and fill whatever emptiness she might be feeling inside of her right now. He couldn't imagine seeing his only family member in Lidia's condition.

"Oh," Ella frowned before shaking her head and then pulling up a smile. "Don't worry, love. We're all here for you. Maya and Heyder called to check in and I'm sure Hayden is being a gentleman. Right?"

Nora's tear filled lashes flicked up at the half jinn, "Yes."

"Good," Ella nodded. "I'll also be checking in. If you need anything let Hayden know and he can contact me."

"Thank you so much," Nora said.

"Of course," Ella reached out and touched the edge of Nora's face once more. "Everything will be okay."

Hayden felt Nora taken in a deep breath. He knew she had heard those words a billion times today. He was just hoping she actually believed in them.

"Hayden?" Ella turned her attention to the half jinn.

"Yeah?"

"May I speak to you outside for a minute?" Ella motioned towards the door.

Before Hayden could even look to Nora to see if she would be okay, she dropped his hand. Hayden frowned and stared at her face as Ella waited for him by the door. After a few long seconds, Nora looked up and flashed him a lightning fast smile and turned away to go back to her chair beside Lidia. Hayden sighed and followed Ella out of the room.

"Max told me you had a crush," Ella teased as soon as the door closed behind Hayden and they were alone in the halls. "I didn't think it was this bad."

"It's not a crush," Hayden rolled his eyes.

"Definitely not," Ella laughed. "It's worse. You're head over heels."

"Is this why you bought me out here?" Hayden arched his brow.

"No," Ella shook her head. "I came to tell you that your parents are worried about you."

Hayden looked away at the nurses station. His jaw tensed and his mind itched to go back into the room and comfort Nora.

"You shut off your mind-link," Ella frowned. "And apparently you were very rude to your mother."

Hayden didn't reply. He continued to watch the nurses as Ella's gaze stayed on him.

"This isn't the Hayden I know," she said with disapproval. "You can do better. What's going on?"

"Did mom tell you her grand plans with Nora?" Hayden asked bitterly.

"Do you actually think she would do that to Nora?" Ella shook her head. "You mom. Do you really see her doing something like that?"

"I don't know," Hayden felt a steady stream of guilt appeared inside of his chest.

"We're all just trying to understand what Nora is," Ella explained. "No one will do anything without knowing as much as we can. We've only just found out she's a vestal!"

"I don't like the idea of everyone looking at her and thinking hmm, how can we use her?" Hayden snapped. "Don't tell me that's not what everyone is thinking."

"It's not!" Ella said in alarm. "Hayden, no one is thinking that. I promise you."

"I don't believe you," Hayden shrugged. "I'm sorry."

Ella was taken back. She paused and stared at the boy she had watched grow up right in front of her eyes. The frustration and anger was clear as daylight in his green eyes. He looked like a mess with his hair sticking up everywhere and his clothes wrinkled. But there was something else...

Behind the anger and frustration in those green eyes was worry and fear. The way Hayden's gaze kept flickering to the door as if he was anxious to get back inside made Ella's heart swell. She felt a ton of emotions wash over her as she thought about her own sons.

"Hayden," she said, placing her hand against his face. "No one is going to hurt Nora."

Hayden slowly nodded, not convinced at all.

"I've never seen you this protective," Ella tilted her head slightly. "I guess it's true what they say."

Hayden stared at Ella in confusion. He wanted to ask her what she meant but the blonde flashed him a sneaky smile and pulled away.

"I'll let your parents know you two are okay," Ella said. "Go back inside and take care of Nora. Poor thing. I can't even imagine going through all this without family."

Hayden's hand found the door knob before Ella could even finish. He gave her a quick wave before slipping back into the room and closing the door. Nora looked up as he entered and their eyes met.

"Are you okay?" She asked. Her question made Hayden want to shake with laughter.

"Are you okay?" He asked. "Don't worry about me."

"I'm okay," Nora nodded, leaning her head back on the chair she was curled up in.

"It's okay if you're not," Hayden said, taking a step towards her. "This is a lot to process."

"You're telling me," Nora gave a short laugh. "I woke up this morning thinking I was just human and now I'm ending the day with my aunt in the hospital and as a vestal....what the fuck?"

"Nothing is certain in life," Hayden shrugged.

"No," Nora said, staring at him for a bit too long. "No, I guess it's not."

Hayden didn't know what else to say as he pushed his hands into his pockets and walked over to the foot of the bed. Nora's eyes followed him across the room.

"Are you leaving?" She asked.

"No," Hayden shook his head. "Why? Do you want me to...."

"No," Nora sighed. "I just...I thought that's why the queen was here."

"She came to check in on you," Hayden said.

Nora nodded, "So you're not leaving?"

"No," Hayden looked up.

Never, he thought. I'll stay for as long as you'll have me.

__________________________________

Kiara paced the floors of the room trying her best to stay calm as her eyes watched the thick spells that surrounded every wall. Her head throbbed painfully as the pressure behind her eyes made her want to throw up whatever was inside her stomach. She thought she could hear Lila crying but that was impossible. No way would Killian keep their daughter anywhere near where she was.

Despite the gully pain that twisted through her whenever she thought about Killian or her parents, she couldn't deny how grateful she was to them for taking care of her baby. Lila was in good hands. She was safe...that's all that mattered to Kiara.

Is she in good hands?

Kiara stilled and put her hands over her ears.

You used to think you were in good hands, the voice laughed. Look how quickly they turned on you.

Kiara bit down on her jaw and shut her eyes. She slowly sank to her knees and buried her face in her lap.

You begged them to help you, remember?

The unimaginable pain that ran through Kiara's body made her breathless. She felt both hollow and heavy as led at the same time. The pressure on her chest made her feel as if an elephant was standing in her.

Where are they not, Kia?

Kiara began to weep as the relentless voice mocked her with every word.

This is how it will always be....they will lock you away and carry on with their life. Killian will find someone else and make them Lila's mother. Your daughter, the baby you fought so hard to protect, won't even know your name.

Breathing was next to impossible. Kiaran shook like a lifeless tree in the winter breeze as she wrapped her arms around herself. No matter how hard she pressed her hands to her ears, she couldn't push out the voice inside. She was ready to scream silently without her voice when the door to the room began to open.

Good, the voice snorted. Let Killian see what he has created.

Kiara lifted her lashes and held her breath. The door to the room opened and a pair of booths walked in. She peered at them through her long locks and slowly looked up. As her eyes made their way up to the face, her heart stopped and twisted.

"Kiara," Brody said, his eyes glowing silver.

Well....this is a turn of events.

Kiara sat up and stared at the boy in confusion. Even if she could speak, she had no words. Her eyes flickered to the wide open door behind him and then back to his eyes.

"Let's go," Brody said, holding out his hand.

Kiara scurried back. She didn't stop until her back hit the wall and her head collided with the live currents off the spell. She groaned in pain as the shock from the magic burned through her bones.

"Kiara, let's go!" Brody snapped, lunging forward and hurling Kiara up to her feet.

Before Kiara could protest or push away from the boy, she felt her mind prickle up as if someone had shocked her. Her hands and feet grew numb before she was pushed to the back of her head and her eyes flashed gold.

"Take your hands off of me," she said through her teeth, digging her nails into Brody's arm.

"Ah!" Brody hissed in pain. "I'm trying to help you, you crazy bitch."

"Why?" Kiara tilted her head as she twisted Brody's arm behind him and shoved him towards the door. "Who sent you?"

"Dr. Banks," Brody said, struggling to get his hand back.

"Banks?" Kiara arched her brow. "You work for Skyfall?"

"My parents do," Brody said. "Why do you think I'm at this awful school?"

"Why did Banks send you to come get me?" Kiara used the body as a shield to walk out of the room.

"Because we need to know what the vestals can do," Brody said. "They're both at the palace."

"Brody...." Kiara dropped the boy's arm once they were out into the hall. "Just one question..."

"We don't have time," Brody said, rubbing his wrist. "Clare or Killian will be here any second."

"That night," Kiara looked at the boy and placed her hand over his chest. "In the hotel room..."

Brody paused and looked down at Kiara's hand. His gaze flickered up and caught the coy smile on her lips as her cheeks blushed.

"It was you?" Brody laughed. "That wasn't Kiara?"

Kiara bit down on her bottom lip and looked up at the boy through her lashes. She shook her head with a small laugh and leaned forward slightly.

"What were your instructions that night?" She asked.

"Poison in your food," Brody said. "My parents were going to call Dr. Banks and we were going to rush you to the hospital for emergency treatments."

Kiara giggled, "Did you think I was going to let it happen?"

"What?" Brody asked.

Suddenly the smile on Kiara's face vanished. Her golden eyes darkened as she pushed her hand down on Brody's chest and felt the bones in his ribs snap. The body gasped as he tried to push Kiara back, but Kiara's hand gripped his arm and pulled him forward.

"No one hurts Kiara," she spit.

Brody's face began to turn blue as Kiara's hand slowly sank through his clothes, skin, muscles, and then bones. She sank her nails into his beating heart and squeezed with all her might.

"You imbecile," Kiara said with disgust as she pulled her hand back out.

Her wrist caught in his ribs and she had to push him back to free herself. In the process, Brody's blood and tissues ripped off his chest and flew into Kiara's face. She rolled her eyes as Brody's gaze dimmed and he dropped to the floor like dead weight.

Kiara suddenly giggled.

Dead weight, she thought.

Wiping her hand on her jeans, Kiara opened a portal right to the palace. She appeared in the middle of the infirmary, dripping blood and tissues. One of the nurses saw her and gasped, running forward to offer help.

"Get out of my way," Kiara snapped.

Her voice caught everyone's attention around the hall. They all looked up and froze.

Suddenly, from behind a group of nurses, Ella stepped out, growing pale as a ghost.

"Kiara..." She took a step forward.

Kiara's eyes flickered to the queen. A wicked smile flashed across her face as she began to head towards Lidia's room.

"Kiara, stop!" Ella jumped forward while opening her mind-link to Clare and Maksim.

"Get out of my way, your majesty," Kiara shoved her. "Tell your king to bring his horses and men."

"Kiara, stop!" Ella grabbed Kiara's hand and tried to pull her back. "Don't go in there."

Kiara paused and sighed. She turned around to face the frightened blonde.

"Ella, I'm going to give you three seconds to let go of me," Kiara said. "One...two....three..."

Ella swallowed the lump in her throat and held on firmly to the young girl's hand. She called for Maksim through her link as she watched Kiara's eyes darken.

Ella! Maksim yelled, rushing through the halls of the palace. Get out of there! Now!

"Kiara -" Ella barely had time to finish as Kiara held up her hand and blasted the queen across the room.

The nurses and doctor all screamed collectively as the shockwave sent most of them crashing. Before anyone could poke their head out into the halls to see what was happening, Kiara spun around and ran into Lidia's room.

Hayden jumped up, shocking a sleeping Nora who had been laying on his shoulder. She looked up at him before her eyes traveled to Kiara standing in the middle of the room.

"No!" Nora jumped up from the small sofa.

Hayden reached back to keep her away, but she was already racing towards her aunt. In a panic, Hayden opened a portal under Nora. His eyes flashed silver as Nora fell through and a ray of golden light emitted from Kiara's body. He summoned his magic to the surface as the golden light descended upon Lidia and Kiara fell to her knees.

"Kia!" Hayden pulled Kiara up as Lidia gasped for air and sat up straight.

"Hayden," Kiara gasped along with the woman. "What- what just happened?"

Hayden didn't know what to say as he pulled Kiara back from Lidia. His skin crawled with his magic as the fey in him geared up to throw up a shield. He felt Kiara shaking beside him as Lidia yanked out the IV in her arm and turned to them with her golden eyes.

"This is sooo much better," she smiled. "A little old for my taste, but quiet."

Kiara gripped Hayden's arm as Lidia climbed down from the bed. Her feet waddled slightly before she stood up straight and pushed her hair out of her face.

"Now," she said. "Where was I? Ah yes, Banks needs t-"

As Kiara and Hayden watched, blood started to pour out of Lidia's nose. The woman frowned as she reached up and touched the stream of red rushing down her face and splattering all over the thin hospital gown she wore.

"Oh fuck," Lidia groaned as her eyes lifted and she looked at Kiara.

"Hayden," Kiara pulled at the half jinn's arm. "Go find Nora."

"What are you going to do?" Hayden looked back at the girl.

"Lidia's body is dying," Kiara pushed at Hayden. "She's going to go after Nora now. Hayden, go!"

Hayden didn't waste any second as he summoned a portal to the palace where he had dropped Nora.

___________________________

"No!" Nora yelled as she landed on the carpeted floors of the palace.

She jumped up to her feet and whirled around as the portal closed behind her.

"No, no," Nora tugged at her hair. "Shit!"

Nora felt a mountain of dread crumble on her shoulders as she thought of Lidia with Kiara. The woman was all she had left. Lidia was her mother and her father. Her best friend and her biggest comfort.

Blindly, Nora began to run down the hall towards the infirmary. She was going to give Hayden a piece of her mind when all this was over. How dare he kick her out like that?

As Nora rounded the corner, she ran into a tall figure with broad shoulders and a heavy gold pin on their shirt.

"I'm sorry, sir," Nora tried to step around them, but the men grabbed her arm.

"Nora? Nora Kennedy?" he asked.

"Y-yes," Nora said.

"My name is Harry Greenwood," the man introduced himself. "I'm a king's guard. You need to come with me, ma'am."

"What?" Nora tried to pull away. "Why?"

"We received orders to keep you under our protection," Harry said as he began to rush Nora towards the grand stairwell.

"From who?" Nora asked, not liking the way the man held her arm like a child. "Hayden? Did he order you?"

"Please hurry," Harry tugged Nora forward.

"No," Nora tried to pull away. "I need to go to the infirmary."

"Not now."

"Yes, now!" Nora yanked her arm back and turned away.

But before she could take a step away from Harry, he grabbed her arm once more and jerked her forward. Nora gasped as the wind was knocked out of her and she felt the man's hand fly across her face. She looked up and witnessed his eyes flash silver as his nails dug into her arm and he pulled her closer to his face.

"Do as you're told," he hissed.

"Nora!" Hayden's voice came from somewhere downstairs.

Harry's eyes widened as he looked over his shoulder.

"Hayden!" Nora yelled for him.

Using Harry's momentary distraction, Nora freed herself and ran forward. She felt Harry's heavy boots chase after her as she pumped her legs to carry her to the stairs from where she heard Hayden's voice.

"Nora?" Hayden called to her once more as he began to run up their stairs.

He turned his head and spotted Nora's wild hair. A flood of relief washed over him as he watched her race towards him. But it was short lived as in the next second, his eyes fell on the figure running after Nora.

"Shit," Hayden said as he raised his hand.

There was no way Nora could outrun a king's guard. Hayden summoned his magic but held back. Nora was right in front of the man, there was no way he could hit him without missing her.

"Nora! Duck!" he yelled.

But of course this girl didn't listen. She ran forward in a panic as the guard grabbed her arm. She twisted around in an awful angle and the sharp snap of her ankle made Hayden's heart freez.

Nora screamed as she pushed away from the guard. In the process all her weight fell on her broken ankle and she lunged forward....right over the railing.

"No!" Hayden threw out a shield but it never made it to her.

Kiara portaled right in front of him and the shield bounced off of her. Her gold eyes sizzled with anger as she lunged towards Hayden thinking he was attacking her.

Hayden didn't have the strength or time to process Kiara as he heard Nora's body fall from three stories up. His eyes began to glow an intense silver as he switched to his true form of blue flames. Throwing Kiara down the stairs, he shot forward and landed in front of Harry.

The guard looked up with his own silver eyes and held up his fists. Hayden didn't give him a second to think as he blasted the man with all of his strength. He didn't wait around to see what was happening as he shot down to the foyer where Nora had fallen.

Get away from her!

He screamed at Kiara as he spotted her trying to crawl over to Nora's limp body. He flew through the air and pushed Kiara back, sending her flying into the air. But the girl caught herself and summoned a blast of her own towards Hayden.

All the glass on the windows around the grand foyer shattered as Hayden's magic collided with Kiara's. He pushed forward in an attempt to build as much distance as he could between Kiara and Nora. If he had to burn Kiara in the process, so be it.

"She's dying, you idiot!" Kiara hissed, holding her blast steady.

"Then stop fighting and let me help her!" Hayden yelled back.

"Give her to me!" Kiara said. "You can't help her. I can!"

"Fuck off!"

Just then, Clare and Killian rushed out of a portal that opened by the foot of the stairs. Killian spotted Nora and rushed forward as Clare spread her fiery wings and stepped in between Hayden and Kiara.

"That's enough!" She yelled. "Stand down."

"Not in my nature," Kiara grinned, pushing harder.

"Killian," Hayden said through his teeth as he twitched back to his human form and ran towards Nora. "No, don't touch her!"

"Hayden," Killian looked up, his face pale.

"No," Hayden refused to meet the boy's eyes.

"She's not going to make it."

"Get away from her," Hayden pushed Killian back and gathered Nora in his arms.

She was so light and cold it made his heart shake with fear. Clutching her to his chest he portaled them to the infirmary and called out for help.

But as soon as he appeared in the infirmary, his ears filled with alarms and shouts. Hayden looked up to find the place in absolute chaos.

Nurses and doctors ran around as they tried to evacuate the patients. The fire alarms filled the air as smoke started to build. Someone shouted for Hayden to get out with Nora as another pair carried Lidia's dead body past them on a stretcher.

No, no, no....

Hayden looked down at Nora in his arms.

Her skin was deadly pale. Dark red blood trickled down the back of her head and soaked into his sleeves. Her chest was barely moving. Her lungs tried to take in shallow breaths but every time they moved, they created a horrifying wheezing sound that ripped through Hayden.

It was all too much.

Hayden shut off his mind and summoned his magic.

He knew what he was about to do was dangerously stupid. But the alternative was much worse.

Without thinking, Hayden pulled all his strength to the surface and channeled it into his palms. He crushed Nora to his chest and planted his hands on her back as he pushed his magic into her. Closing his eyes, he imagined all the broken pieces of her healing and falling back into their correct places.

Hayden's hand shook as he kneeled on the floor with Nora in his arms. He brushed his lips over her cheeks and shut his eyes to drown out the world around them.

After what felt like a lifetime, Nora's breathing began to even. Hayden felt a ray of hope as her skin began to warm and the wheezing sound in her lungs disappeared. Her soft breath tickled his ear as she made the smallest sound in the back of her throat.

"Nora," Hayden leaned her back gently.

Nora slowly lifted her lashes. She parted her lips and tried to form his name.

"Shhhh," Hayden pulled her to his chest once more. "Don't talk."

"Hayden...." Nora managed to breath out.

The relief of hearing his name on her lips was so great Hayden thought he might grow wings and fly away. He pulled Nora closer and buried his face in her hair.

I love you, he thought.

Hayden...

Hayden's eyes snapped open as Nora's voice appeared in his head.

_________________________________

"Did you hurt the innocent people in the infirmary?" Clare glared at Kiara.

"No one is ever innocent, Clare Bear," Kiara shrugged.

"How did you get out?"

"Did you not see Brody's body?"

"Brody?" Clare arched a brow.

Behind her, Killian rose to his feet. His hands balled into fists making Kiara smirk.

"Brody came to see me," she said, flipping her hair over her shoulder. "I missed him."

"What did you do to Lidia?" Clare asked.

Kiara sighed dramatically, "They're weak. Useless. Not enough titan blood."

"So you killed her?" Killian asked.

"I didn't have to," Kiara shrugged. "Her body couldn't take it."

As Killian kept Kiara distracted, Clare slowly began to put up boundary spells around the girl. She was hoping to capture her before they took her back to Pandora's box.

"Do you think I'm stupid, Clare?" Kiara narrowed her eyes.

Before Clare could answer, Kiara raised her hand and blasted her. Killian jumped forward and grabbed Kiara, pinning her down on the floor.

"Get off me!" The girl yelled as she twisted away.

"Stop it!" Killian yelled, holding her tighter.

Kiara stopped and looked up, dimming the gold in her eyes. Her bottom lip trembled as she looked up at Killian with tears in her eyes.

"Killian," she said. "You're hurting me."

"Stop," Killian said through his teeth. "You're not her."

Kiara's face twisted in anger and she let a wave of energy ripple out of her. Killian was pushed off as the energy began to travel through the palace. But before Kiara could get up, he rushed forward once more and wrapped his arms around her.

"Let go of me!" Kiara screamed as Killian crushed her back to his chest.

Suddenly, screams from all over the palace filled the halls. Clare looked up in horror as her mind-link opened to her brother.

Where are the kids? She asked Maksim.

Elian and Isaac are with Ella, Maksim said, his voice strained and panicked.

Where's Annabelle?

Maksim didn't answer.

Macky, where is Annabelle? Clare asked again.

Before her brother could answer, Clare spotted the young blonde girl at the top of the stairwell. She had fallen to her knees along with her maid and the other palace staff, all turning pale and lifeless.

"Kiara," Clare looked at the girl Killian held captive. "Stop this right now!"

"No," Kiara spit. "Let me go or I will kill them all."

Suddenly, a large chandelier crashed from the ceiling, impaling a king's guard who was trying to reach Annabelle. Horrified and frightened, Annabelle let out a weak whimper as she was drenched in blood.

Then everything happened at once. Fires ignited, more chandeliers started to fall, glass started to explode, the ground began to shake, knives and swords started to fly through the air. The palace filled with horror. A river of blood started to run down the marble staircase.

"Kiara," Clare gripped the girl's shoulders. "Stop! These people are innocent!"

"Screw you!" Kiara laughed.

Just then, Clare looked up and met Killian's eyes. She watched the heartbreak flash across his face as they both realized the demon sat between them wasn't going to give up.

"Clare," Killian's breathing grew uneven. "No....."

It's the only way, Clare tried to push down the sick feeling in her stomach.

"No!" Killian held onto Kiara a little tighter. "No, not like this!"

The heavy stone Clare learned to carry over her heart fell back into place. She blocked out Killian's pleas and filled her head with the screams of the hundreds of people in the palace. Raising her hands, she took Kiara's head in between them and summoned her magic.

"No!" Killian cried.

But he was helpless. He knew deep down in his heart this was the only way. He was losing the girl he will spend his whole life loving and there was no one else to blame but himself. He should have believed her. He should have trusted her and helped her. But he didn't....

"No,no,no,no," Killian rocked back and forth holding Kiara as Clare's hands began to warm.

Kiara began to scream as she realized what Clare was up to. She tossed and turned, trying to break free as her body warmed and her mind began to flash through thousands of memories.

"No, Killian!" she screamed, her gold eyes glowing so bright she would almost shine like a star. "Killian, help me!"

Clare bit down on her bottom lip to stop the sob as she reached Kiara, the real Kiara.

Clare....Kiara breathed a sigh of relief.

Kia, Clare said. I am so sorry, baby. I am so sorry for everything.

It's okay....Kiara said gently. I understand what you are doing....it's okay.

I can get you out, Clare rushed to look for a piece of Kiara she could hold on to. We can find a way.

Clare, Kiara stopped her. It's okay....you can't....that's fine.

No, Kiara, Clare began to cry.

Tell my parents I love them so much, Kiara slowly closed her eyes. Tell Killian he will always be the one for me.

Kiara, stay with me, Clare said.

But no matter how hard Clare tried, she couldn't separate the magic from Kiara. They were tangled together in a hopeless mess. The magic didn't leave even an inch of Kiara's mind empty. Everywhere Clare tried to dig up the girl, she was road blocked.

Clare lost all track of time as she traveled through Kiara's mind. She had no idea how long she sat with Killian burning through the girl's mind. It wasn't until she felt Ares pull her back gently that she realized it was all over.

Slowly, Clare opened her eyes and pulled back. Kiara's body laid back against Killian's chest as he buried his face in her hair.

The palace was silent as the river of blood running down the stairs reached Kiara's feet.  

That was a lot.... 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

158K 7.2K 27
"You're a killer, a monster. There is no 'master' for you. Everyone that loved you is dead. Because of you! Don't flatter yourself. No one will ever...
24 2 29
Horror. Vampires. Love. Death
543 29 21
I hadn't thought it would be this way. That I would end up in a place like this. That I would end up in... Hell.
14 1 1
An unexpected twist into a world of wonders