A Change of Feeling

By TheDutchGirlWrites

Harry is left in the dark by his friends. After a couple of weeks without a word from the magical world, Harr... More

The Letter
A Brush with Death
Grimmauld Place and Black Veins
Witch Weekly
The Dark Tattoo
Slytherin Ways in Azkaban
The Hearing
The Sign of Ekrizdis
Jormungandr, the Huge Monster
Rabastan's Wicked Ways
The Ouroboros
"Incarcerous"
The Effect of a Tattoo
Pink Toads and Sneaky Lions
Yule at Grimmauld Place
Nightly Terror
She that Rewards
The Examinations
Family Matters, part I
Family Matters, part II
Family Matters, part III
The Sins of the Father
No Sleep for the Wicked
Fuckin' Snakes!
Blood, Lust, and Family
Farewell and Reunion
Half-Breeds
The Chance Meeting
Umbridge's Demise - Part One
Umbridge's Demise - Part Two
The Interrogation
Dit des Trois Morts et des Vifs
"Showtime"
Grahams' Loyalty
The Ashwinder

The Conversation at Diagon Alley

9.9K 407 121
By TheDutchGirlWrites

The days passed without anything remarkable happening. The book lists had come and all the Hogwarts students were getting ready for a shopping trip to Diagon Alley. However, Harry was not busy with the upcoming Hogwarts year, he was reading Ekrizdis' book daily. He was frantically going through the pages, looking for the redeeming answer. Ekrizdis himself became crazier and crazier as the pages passed and Harry had a gut feeling that this was also related to the tattoo. His own tattoo hadn't grown, but it had become clearer. The lines were now drawn proudly on his skin and seemed to exude more power than ever before.

He had to tell his friends. He hated that he kept this a secret from them. What should he do? All these years of friendship, all the adventures... But Ron was so explosive, there was no saying how he would react. Hermione was so sweet, she would want to help him with all the knowledge she had. But she would also propose the knowledge of others, such as Dumbledore. Harry didn't know what to do with Dumbledore.

The man was like a grandfather to him, but he didn't even look at him during his hearing. No pat on the back, no wise advice. Nothing. Harry felt a cold anger bubble up in him. No, he didn't trust Dumbledore. Harry decided to tell his friends little bits of information at a time. Depending on their responses, he would then tell them more - and otherwise, nothing more.

Harry watched his friends get ready to go to Diagon Alley. Hermione had set her sights on a deluxe edition of 'Hogwarts a History', and Ron had been begging his parents for the latest Comet, a reasonably fast broom, for days. Harry wanted nothing more than to visit Diagon Alley with Sirius. But he knew this was impossible and, above all, dangerous. The fear of losing his only father figure was crippling. Harry, therefore, put on his widest and most dazzling smile and joined the exuberant group.

They went to Diagon by Floo. The street was, as always, buzzing with the sounds of witches and wizards doing their shopping. The first stop on their trip was Madam Malkin's. Harry's robes were due for renewal: he had grown two inches this summer. Before he could step into the store, he bumped into Malfoy Sr. and his son. Harry was flooded with uncertainty about how to act. Had Draco accepted his apologies? He didn't have to think about this anymore, as Malfoy Sr. spoke.

"As the head of the Malfoy family, I accept the House of Potter's apologies for the behavior towards my son. My son and I would like to invite you to lunch to strengthen the bonds between our families. Shall we say 'The Golden Plate', at one o'clock?"

Harry was surprised, he hadn't expected that. He regained his composure and gave his answer.

"Thank you for accepting my apologies, I look forward to seeing you at The Golden Plate at one o'clock. Until then."

'Wow, not even ten minutes on the road, and immediately something happened. New record' , Harry thought in amusement.

The fitting of new robes went very quickly. Harry decided to add some everyday clothes as well. Kreacher had thrown out all of Dudley's cast-offs and was expanding his wardrobe. However, Harry enjoyed picking out some clothes himself. He also saw a pile of blankets in the corner of the shop. These seemed out of place, blankets were usually not sold here. Harry found a green blanket, which was very soft to the touch. He immediately decided he wanted that one.

The group's purchases were quickly completed and the group hit the road again. Harry was surprised that no one had said anything about his meeting with the Malfoys, but decided not to think about it.

The group went to Flourish and Blotts for their books. A number of adults decided to go to the Apothecary for their potion supplies. Harry walked into the bookshop. Although he was not a bookworm like Hermione, he was very fond of books. The fondness for books was born at a young age when he ran into a library during a Harry Hunting session. Soon the library became a safe haven for Harry. Since then he loved literature and liked to read new books. The big difference between him and Hermione was that Harry had a specific taste. He liked exciting stories and detectives. At school, he did not find everything interesting and therefore found it difficult to learn more about it. He knew a lot about Defense Against the Dark Arts and he had also read many books about Ancient Runes. The latter was not even a chosen subject for Harry, but he had taken it up for his own project and found it very interesting. He even considered taking an O.W.L. on the subject, even though he hadn't taken it at Hogwarts.

Harry picked up a basket and got to work. Not many new books were needed, only in transfiguration and for DADA. Harry walked to the top floor of the store. There, books on Ancient Runes were kept. He also wanted to look at ways to hide or temporarily disable magic.

Harry had decided to make a Happy Blanket for R. Singulier, aka R. Lestrange. His own blanket was finished, but his magic came off in waves. It worked but was too flashy to send to Azkaban. For a moment, Harry felt guilty, actively thinking of ways to bypass Azkaban's security. Worse, he was thinking of helping a man who had tortured Neville's parents. He didn't want to think about how the timid boy would react. While Neville wasn't a close friend, Harry didn't want to hurt him either. But on the other hand, he was eager to give back to Lestrange. The man had helped Harry with the book and now Harry wanted to help him.

A hand on his shoulder pulled him out of his contemplation. He turned in alarm and looked into Lord Lestrange's eyes.

"So we meet again. These are not beginner books, young man. Are you interested in Ancient Runes?" Lord Lestrange spoke with a deep voice.

"Yes, very much so. I am looking for ways to activate the runes not immediately, but only at a chosen time. Or to hide the magic, that is also a possibility." Harry looked thoughtfully at the man. On a whim, Harry decided to reveal his plan.

"I have developed a blanket that wards off nightmares. The person under the blanket is surrounded by warmth and happiness. I have found a way to integrate my Patronus Charm into it. I hope it also works against Dementors." Harry let this information float between them for a moment. He regarded Lord Lestrange as an intelligent man and had no doubt that the man knew what Harry meant.

"I see," Lord Lestrange began. "The most ideal situation would therefore be that the blanket does not radiate magic at first, but then starts working on a more opportune moment. Perhaps through a spoken password or some action."

"Yes, exactly! I have already consulted several books, but I haven't been able to find an answer yet. I cannot consult the only person I know who knows more about this. It is intended as a gift for him." Harry shrugged. "I could have the blanket finished in two weeks. The next full moon is in then and then I can integrate the magic. But before that, I have to solve this problem first."

Lord Lestrange drew Harry towards him. He bowed his head and whispered in his ear: "The magic you talk about cannot be found in these books. Blocking magic, or linking magic to a person is considered 'Dark' by the current government. Are you sure you want to walk this path?"

"I have done a ritual to capture my Patronus in a thread. That is also seen as a 'Dark' act. I believe that dark magic does not have to be bad, that it is ultimately about the intention of the wizard. And if I want to help someone who is in an unworthy situation, the magic can't be bad, right?"

Lord Lestrange straightened up. He looked firmly at Harry. "Very well, I can procure the right book and give it to you in an hour. Would this be acceptable?"

Harry thought quickly.

"I have an appointment at one o'clock at 'The Golden Plate' with Lord and Heir Malfoy. I can make an appointment with you afterward."

Lord Lestrange gave a rare smile. "That won't be necessary. Lucius is an old friend of mine. It will be beneficial for me to join. Our interests are aligned, it is good for Lucius to see you as my ally." Lord Lestrange stepped back and prepared to leave. "I'll see you again at one o'clock. Until then, Heir Potter."

"Harry, call me Harry," said Harry quickly.

"Very well, call me Corvus." With that last word, Corvus turned and left Harry in the aisle.

***

Time passed quickly and soon the group of friends had finished their purchases. Ron had had to go to the store all by himself for his new Comet. His parents had agreed to the purchase as a reward for his appointment as Prefect. Hermione's nose was buried in her edition of 'Hogwarts a History', she had already made some enthusiastic noises and said she would go to the Leaky Cauldron to read on.

Harry was happy that the group was about to break up. He could easily slip away to his appointment with the Malfoys and Corvus. He decided to join Ron's group. Ron was very happy and bounced his way to the store. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley had their attention on their son and Harry didn't have to make a lot of effort to slip away.

He quickly walked to "The Golden Plate" and entered the restaurant. It was chic, the ceilings were high and space had a high-quality finish. Harry was glad Kreacher tailored his outfits for him, he would feel out of place in Dudley's clothes. He was approached by the host. After mentioning his name, he was led to his table. The table was in a prominent place, the Malfoys were already there.

"Thank you for the invitation. I never dreamed that my apologies would be so well received." Harry politely waited for Lucius Malfoy to allow him to sit.

Lord Malfoy gestured to the chair. "Sit down, a polite conversation is always done seated."

Lord Malfoy looked intrigued at Harry. "We, Draco and I, did not see your letter coming. We were pleasantly surprised by your apologies. It did make me wonder where this change was coming from. Until now you seemed to be... dismissive... to the customs of high society. Why this change of heart?"

"I was ignorant of many customs of the magical society until this summer. I was directed to correct my mistakes. When Draco offered me his hand, I only saw this as his hand in friendship. I failed to see that this was also a rejection to the entire Malfoy family."

Harry looked at the two blondes. "I was too quick in my judgment of Draco and would like to fix this." Harry looked at Draco. "I'm sorry I rejected you right away. I can see that I didn't give you a chance and that in the years that followed my behavior was not always appropriate. I hope we can at least be polite to each other."

Draco snorted and said, "I don't see why we can't be cordial to each other. I accept your apologies and offer you mine also. I would like to see this as the beginning of a friendship." Draco reached out his hand. "Can you agree to that, Harry?"

"Yes, Draco, I can." And Harry shook his hand.

"What a heartwarming scene", said a dark, velvety voice behind Harry. "I came here to eat, but instead I see a new friendship blossom." The voice sounded amused.

"Corvus, friend, what a surprise! If I had known you would be in the Alley today, I would have invited you." Lucius sounded pleasantly surprised to see his acquaintance.

"Doesn't matter, Lucius. I came here at the request of Harry. He came up with a question and I'm here to give him his answer." With these words, Corvus turned to Harry and handed him a book. "It is wise to keep the book out of sight of your friends, Harry. They may not be able to appreciate it."

Harry looked at the book with interest. It was a copy of 'Blood Magic, a Complete Work'. He read the introduction page of the book and looked at Corvus in pleasant surprise. "This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks, Corvus, I don't know how to pay you back."

"I think your project payment enough, Harry. I look forward to the day I get my hands on it. Two weeks you said?" Corvus winked at him.

Harry couldn't help but blush. The man was elderly, at least in his sixties, but he still looked good. Harry could only imagine that Corvus' sons would look good as well, adding to his mortified feeling. He looked at Corvus and hoped the man hadn't noticed. But a twinkle in the dark eyes told Harry the man had noticed his reaction.

"Y-Yeah, t-two weeks. It will take at least another two weeks until it is ready. I think you can expect a package around the 16th of September."

Lucius watched the altercation between his old friend and Harry Potter in amazement. He saw that the boy's previous observations were incorrect. He was grey borderline dark. He was willing to use blood magic for his 'project'. This offered many options for Lucius. He decided not to go into it now and to talk to Corvus about it later. Perhaps the Potter boy was to move to a neutral position in the coming battle.

The conversation went smoothly. Lucius and Corvus shared a common interest in politics, Harry and Draco unexpectedly got on well about the upcoming school year. In particular, they agreed on the quality of the teachers of the DADA course. Both hoped for a repeat of last year, Professor Moody turned out to be a hidden Death Eater, but at least his lessons were educational.

Lucius interrupted their conversation: "Have you had any information about your upcoming school year, Harry? I believe you were expelled from school?"

Harry frowned and gave Lucius a questioning look. "What do you mean? I just got my book list. My expulsion was reversed by the Ministry."

"I was not referring to that. You know that I am on the board of the school, we have received your expulsion. And yes, this has since been reversed. But according to the Hogwarts charter, you are officially a new student. You are no longer in Gryffindor. This is easy to rectify of course, but I would have expected Dumbledore or at least McGonagall to notify you," said Lucius.

"So you're saying I should be re-sorted?" Harry asked with a nervous tremor in his voice.

"Yes," spoke Lucius bluntly.

Harry looked at the clock and saw more than an hour had passed. He panicked slightly at the sight of the time and turned to Lucius, Corvus, and Draco.

"Thanks for the lunch and the enlightening conversation. Corvus, thanks for the book. I'll be in touch. And Draco... I'll see you on the train." Harry bowed to his company and hurried out of the restaurant.

In his haste, he ran past his two friends who were hidden under the window. Nor did he see their expressions.

Harry was glad he wasn't the last to join his group. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were just counting the kids. Harry saw Ron and Hermione running towards the group and raised his hand in greeting. "Hey, guys! Did you find everything you needed?" His friends nodded and walked to Mr. en Mrs. Weasley. When the group was complete, they walked into the Leaky Cauldron. They returned to Grimmauld Place by Floo.

***

Later, after dinner, Harry was confronted by Ron and Hermione. He was sitting in the drawing-room reading his new book on blood magic. He quickly put the book behind a cushion and greeted his friends.

Ron gritted his teeth, but Hermione seemed more neutral. "You know you can tell us anything, don't you?"

"Uh, yes, I guess so." Harry scratched the back of his head. He tried to work out what they could possibly know.

"Of course you can," Hermione said sternly. "Even if you're... well.."

"Consorting with the enemy." Ron offered icely.

Hermione glared at Ron. "Even if the company is questionable."

"Yeah, right," said Ron, thoroughly unconvinced.

"We saw you at the restaurant with the Malfoys and that other man... What were you doing there, Harry? We just don't understand."

Meanwhile, Harry was fidgeting. Harry thought of all the ways to answer them, but just as he was about to come clean and tell all, Hermione clutched his arm and squeezed. "Harry, were you in trouble again? We know you would never be in their company of your own free will. Did they threaten you?"

"'Mione, please stay calm. Nothing is wrong. I apologized to Draco, that's all. And he thanked me in return." He gave Hermione an uncertain smile.

"YOU APOLOGIZED TO DRACO?!" Ron screamed. "I must have heard it wrong? DRACO?! As in Malfoy? Since when do you call him Draco?" Ron's face had turned red by now.

"Draco and I are trying to be friends. I realized my behavior was childish. I have no reason to be mean to Him. He didn't hurt me. Nothing more than I did to him." Harry tried to keep his voice reasonable. He knew he had to choose his words carefully.

"Harry, have you forgotten what he called me? He called me a Mud- a Mudblood! You can't forgive him!" Hermione screeched.

"I will not forget what he called you. And I will continue to address him about that. But I don't want to fight him all year round. I'm tired, guys. I would like a quiet year without a childish rivalry." Harry said quietly.

His friends were furious. They called Lucius a Death Eater, which was true, but implied that he had numerous murders to his name. And Harry doubted that. Lucius's strength lay in politics. And Harry dared to say with certainty that Voldemort used him that way too.

But of course, Harry didn't say this. He kept silent. He let his friends shout. After a few minutes, his friends stopped their roar. Ron was red and Hermione looked disappointed.

"I hope you think more carefully in the future. We are your friends Harry. They certainly are not," said Hermione.

And with that, his friends walked away and Harry was left alone.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

77.8K 4.8K 20
Harry doesn't mind that so many Slytherins from his year have returned to finish their NEWTs, really he doesn't. It's just - do they have to be so fr...
75.3K 2.2K 79
"I used to think you were just a bully. But I'm coming to realize you're merely misunderstood." (ch. 27) Ever since he introduced himself by demandin...
2K 46 8
Being called the heir of Slytherin wasn't easy for Harry. Many students harassed him while the teacher stood by doing nothing to help. After months o...
12.1K 92 11
"Hear me out Harry," she continued, "both of us are under some amount of stress. It's not good to be that way. In order to release that stress, I fig...