Oneiric Tryst

By Susimau

Seonghwa has nightmares, a lot of them. When Hongjoong gets assigned to enter those nightmares and find a way... More

1. Morpheus
2. Orchestra
3. Shoes
4. Mac n Cheese
5. Doctor
6. Basement
7. Pirate Ship
9. Walking Dead
10. Dunes
11. Challenge
12. Lucid Dreams
13. A Knight
14. Shelter
15. Axe Murderer
16. Baton
17. Shark-infested Water
18. Date Ideas
19. The Secret
20. Edinburgh
21. Spider Caves
22. Soaring Heights
23. Spa
24. Ringing
25. Down Bad
26. The Accident
27. At First Sight
28. Fancy Fish
29. Wedding Guest: The Groom
30. Locked Out
31. Rushing
32. Diving
33. Visiting Grandma
34. A Win
35. Shackles
36. Finding Peace
37. A New Roommate
38. Christmas

8. A Date

813 88 84
By Susimau

A call startled Hongjoong out of his sleep. With a jolt, he sat upright and felt over the nightstand until his fumbling palm brushed the cold display of his phone. Trusting his fingers to hit the right button, he clenched his eyes shut from the bright light. Groaning, he lifted the device to his ear.

"Hello?" He croaked throatily. The digital clock on his desk read 3:12 am.

"Hongjoong? I'm so sorry about having to call you late at night. C-could you come over?"

It took the sleep-befuddled man a while to detect the wetness in the speaker's voice. He glanced at his phone with blurry eyes to confirm it was San.

"Did something happen?"

Sobering, Hongjoong threw his legs over the side of the bed. He put San on speaker and left him on the windowsill while he switched on the light. In the faint orange shine, he snatched his clothes from the prior day from his chair. The air inside his room was cold until he slipped them on.

"Wooyoung and I were attacked outside. I called the police but I don't feel safe." He sniffed pitifully. Anger furrowed Hongjoong's brow.

"Did you get hurt?"

"Nothing too bad. Just some bruises. Wooyoung, too."

A low murmur whispered in San's background. Too quiet to understand.

"I'll be there in ten minutes."

Hurriedly, Hongjoong snatched his car keys and his wallet. He ended the call so San could look over Wooyoung while he drove. On his way there, his fingers clutched the steering wheel tightly.

A single guess was enough for him to figure out what had happened. In the flat below San's, lived a grumpy dude with major alcohol addiction. He barely scraped by every month and bothered the residents to borrow money regularly. He was a nuisance and particularly despised San after finding out he was gay. Likely, he had heard him with another male outside and sprung into action.

Hongjoong hoped he got arrested. After years of verbal abuse and spitting at San's feet, the bastard sure deserved that.

The streets were mostly empty at this time of the night in their corner of the city. Seeing the usually lively roads discarded felt as if reality had shifted to a different dimension. Everything looked the same and at the very time like a different world.

For a moment, Hongjoong had to pause and ask himself whether he was dreaming. But no, he was awake. His car hummed under him as it heated his seat.

Hongjoong arrived at San's soon. With no care whether the emptied parking lot allowed him to park in that spot or not, he halted his car and sprung out. When he saw no police in sight, he scoffed.

Typical.

As if wanting to punish him, his mind provided him with a reminder of Seonghwa. Probably one of the few officers who actually cherished their work. But he had no shift tonight, and he was stationed in a different district of the city.

Hongjoong jogged up the stairs to San's flat. The door on the floor below was shut tightly, two empty beer bottles stationed next to it. Upstairs, he punched in the code and allowed himself inside. Wooyoung and San sat on the couch, both glancing at him anxiously when he entered.

San tried a weak smile that tugged painfully at his split lip.

"Wooyoung, this is my best friend and coworker. Hongjoong, you have heard of Wooyoung."

"I did." Hongjoong dropped his jacket on the backrest of the couch as he came to sit next to San. His eyes flickered over the split lip and swelling eye that San now pressed a cold pack to. Wooyoung held a kitchen towel to his temple, stained with blood.

"Is it bad? I can drive both of you to the hospital or call an ambulance."

San quickly shook his head. He and Wooyoung quivered slightly, searching support by leaning against each other.

"No, we're good. All just surface level. He was too drunk to punch hard."

With a nod, Hongjoong got up to get both of them a drink. Wooyoung whispered a barely audible 'thanks' from dry lips as he took the water from him. He was a pretty boy in real life, probably even more shining than in Seonghwa's dreams. Though his light was dulled and his eyes lowered most of the time.

"The guy from downstairs?" Hongjoong pried the phone that San was still clutching from his fingers to replace it with the bottle. He put the device on the coffee table instead.

San made a face.

"Yeah. He had a friend over to drink, and when they heard us outside, they ambushed us. He packs an evil punch." He pinched his lips shut, whining at the strain. Wooyoung rubbed his back soothingly.

"He's a pain. Sorry that you had to experience this when you two just met. San is horrible, but he can be a sweetheart," Hongjoong said towards Wooyoung reassuringly. The man giggled, his face brightening. He held so much familiarity for Hongjoong. As if he had known him for a long time. Hongjoong had to be careful not to misspeak.

"I know he is, yes. Thank you," Wooyoung grinned back.

A subtle knock on the door had Hongjoong surge up before the other two could move.

"That might be the police. I told them to be discreet before they scare that idiot away."

Despite the relief in San's voice, Hongjoong approached the door carefully. In his drunkenness, the guy from downstairs could be back anytime to finish what he had started.

Quietly, Hongjoong opened the door the slightest gap.

In front stood just a single person, however, and he was far more slender than the rounded beer belly the bastard sported. He also kept watch of the corridor behind him, further reassuring Hongjoong. He pulled the door open entirely.

"Please come in, officer. The victims-"

Hongjoong's voice died in his throat when the man turned.

Compared to his dreams, his eyes were far gentler in real life. They held no fear or pain if hints of the same paranoia.

They also narrowed at the befuddling recognition Hongjoong's features triggered in him.

"Ah." Hongjoong fell quiet, awkward silence wrapping around both of them. Seonghwa's eyes dragged up and down his form, wary of who he might be.

In the same manner, Hongjoong stared back. Even outside of his uniform, he knew Seonghwa was a friend. But he had to pretend he didn't.

"Who are you?" Seonghwa asked politely. His tense posture alerted Hongjoong of both his current suspicions and the confusion of his mind screaming at him they knew each other.

"I'm San's friend. And you?"

It was Wooyoung who called from inside the room. His voice cracked around his words, but the tone instantly smoothed out the hard lines in Seonghwa's face.

"Let him in, he belongs to me!"

That was all the confirmation Hongjoong needed. He stepped aside with an awkward smile. When Seonghwa brushed past him, the faint note of his cologne clung to his clothes.

In a hurry, Seonghwa kicked his black shoes off that Hongjoong found too elegant to wear casually. Mindlessly, he put them neatly next to the rest as he shut the door.

Seeing Seonghwa hurry around in his socks in the privacy of a flat was domestic and at the same time jarring. They had met in forests and on ships, but never in actual life. Puzzled, Hongjoong followed him. In his hurry to get here, Seonghwa hadn't even brought a coat. He just wore a thin white jean jacket.

Unable to decide how close he should get, Hongjoong stood in the middle of the room. His heart hammered in his chest as he watched Seonghwa kneel in front of Wooyoung to cradle his face with his delicate hands. When Hongjoong's eyes flickered around, trying not to stare at him, he met San's good eye. The man rapidly flicked it over to Seonghwa, mouthing a 'him?!' with his lips. Hongjoong disguised his reluctant nod by reaching up to rub his nape. Impressed, San leaned back.

"Are you sure I shouldn't call an ambulance? I can also just ask Yunho if you don't want the entire department." Gentle fingertips brushed back Wooyoung's hair to tuck it behind his ears.

Inside Hongjoong, his emotions were a mess. His slight dislike for Yunho based purely on that one dream bubbled up to mix with the gentle swoops or adoration for how smoothly Seonghwa handled his friend. All topped off with worry for them and the usual shyness around Seonghwa.

"It's fine," Wooyoung giggled, just as endeared by the man's concern. "I'll heal all by myself, watch me." He directed his eyes back at San, smiling embarrassedly.

"Sorry that he showed up so suddenly. I texted him once we came back."

San waved his hand around, brushing it off.

"No problem. Hey, man, nice to meet you, even in these circumstances. I'm San." He stretched out the same hand that wasn't busy holding his ice pack. Seonghwa took it carefully, giving a squeeze.

"I'm Seonghwa."

"I've heard of you, yeah. Happy to see you're an alright dude."

Seonghwa turned back to look at Wooyoung. Inconspicuous, Hongjoong slinked behind the kitchen aisle, bringing some distance between them. San watched him amusedly as he fiddled to get a fresh ice pack and a clean towel from San's cabinets.

"Only good things, I hope," Seonghwa recited the same old line every uncle came up with proudly at family dinners. Hongjoong rolled his eyes, already too fond of his lame ways.

"I actually didn't mention you that much," Wooyoung giggled. San gave an offended gasp.

The earlier tense mood in the room gradually settled. Now that both of the beat-up boys had someone near they trusted, they loosened up. When Hongjoong returned with his goods, Seonghwa shuffled aside so he could access them. Orderly and well-mannered, he knelt next to the couch on the ground. His flickering eyes altered between studying Hongjoong's features in a way that made him blush and watching his actions if he needed help.

Overwhelmed by his closeness, Hongjoong thrust the towel at him so he would busy his hands. For a moment, Seonghwa was surprised at the sudden pressure against his chest. Then, he took the towel from him. Warm fingers brushed Hongjoong's, and he flinched back.

San helped him to switch out the cold pack. In his eyes shone amusement and teasing at the same time.

Hongjoong's tension was palpable in the air, but nobody commented on it. Even though Seonghwa sent him wary glances from time to time that burned on Hongjoong's skin like a heating iron.

"What happened?" Seonghwa asked soon to interrupt the thick silence. With a sigh, San recounted the story of his homophobic neighbour to him. In his words, Wooyoung and he had just been giggling too much outside. The deep blush on Wooyoung's face hinted at a bit more.

"Next time we will go over to his place," San wrapped up with a huff. Elated at the idea of a next time, Wooyoung snuggled against his broad shoulder, leaning in comfortably.

The police arrived a few minutes later. Hongjoong let the two officers in and they greeted Seonghwa before they took San's and Wooyoung's statements. Hongjoong was also questioned for what he knew of the neighbour. Then, the two officers went downstairs to knock on the man's door. After some yelling and cursing, they took both him and his friend with them and returned to the station. Wooyoung and San would hear of them again after some questioning.

The sky outside greyed already when Hongjoong took his jacket. Seonghwa had already announced he was staying, so Hongjoong had nothing more to do than sit around awkwardly. Wooyoung and San yelled some thanks and goodbyes at him when he wandered towards the door. At the sight of Seonghwa rising to his feet and brushing his black jeans off, Hongjoong nearly tripped over the little step near the shoe area.

Seonghwa closed in on him, his tall frame blocking the sight of the two curious onlookers behind him and offering some privacy. Privacy that Hongjoong and his trembling fingers didn't appreciate very much right now.

"Thank you for helping Wooyoung, too, even if you came mostly for San," he said ever so friendly. Hongjoong grumbled into his imaginative beard, not looking up from where he searched for his boots.

"I didn't catch your name earlier."

Hongjoong nearly toppled over as he tried to stand on one leg. He looked less than cool right now, embarrassment glowing on his cheeks. Seonghwa's very presence made him incredibly nervous.

"Ah yeah, names do that. They just get lost in the wind. San, remember how I called you Sam for a whole two weeks before Jongho bothered to correct me?" Giggling, Hongjoong leaned his butt against the wall behind him to fiddle with his shoes. Seonghwa stepped aside to look at San. The man gave Hongjoong an amused thumbs up.

"I wanted to break a record of how long you could do it wrong but goddamn boss man didn't want to play along." He groaned in mock exhaustion. Chuckling, Hongjoong turned to reach for the door handle.

"You're just a big meanie. Reconsider him, Wooyoung! I hope everybody has an enjoyable night, goodbye!"

The boys on the couch answered cheerfully. However, before Hongjoong could penguin-shuffle out of the door, slam it shut, and run, Seonghwa caught it with his hand. A feigned smile disguised his sudden movement as him wanting to close the door behind the struggling man.

His eyes carried a distinct warning in them, contrasting with his soft features.

"Hey. Your name?"

Hongjoong buried his nose in the collar of his jacket. He sent Seonghwa a glare for disrupting his plans. When Seonghwa understood the message, his crooked grin broadened. One of his shoulders leaned against the doorframe, lingering.

Wooyoung and San stayed suspiciously quiet, not distracting Seonghwa for Hongjoong.

Damn it.

"'M Hongjoong," he muttered under his breath fast enough that he hoped Seonghwa would miss it. However, when he turned to scurry down the corridor, Seonghwa's voice followed him.

"Have a good trip home, Hongjoong."

An icy shiver ran down Hongjoong's spine as he fled the scene.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.6K 336 16
In the darkness that is his life, what happens when Seonghwa meets someone that's everything he can't afford to be? What happens when he is forced ba...
132K 5.9K 30
kim hongjoong is kept awake night after night due to his noisy neighbor and his constant one-night stands. alternatively: hongjoong and seonghwa bo...
15.3K 784 15
π™‡π™Šπ˜Όπ˜Ώπ™€π˜Ώ π™…π™π˜Ώπ™‚π™€π™ˆπ™€π™‰π™ βž’π˜Όπ™π™•. π™Žπ™€π™Šπ™‰π™‚π™…π™Šπ™Šπ™‰π™‚ For four years Kim Hongjoong has been chasing the infamous criminal Park Seonghwa. He...
2.5K 160 13
After separating with a crazy ex, Hongjoong comes to a club to drink and let loose for once, not knowing that his ex is following his every move. W...