Angelfall (Skyfall #2)

By marcyswales17

"Oh what an adventure it would be to die..." More

Ch.1 Lover
Ch.2 Play Along
Ch. Baklava
Ch. 4 Undress
Ch.5 Green with Envy
Ch.6 The Human Brain
Ch. 7 Innocence
Ch.8 Onions
Ch.9 Sounds
Ch.10 Good Girls
Ch.11 Play the System
Ch.12 All things nice
Ch.13 Little Fairy
Ch. 14 Take me home
CH.15 Gifts
Ch.16 Be Nice!
Ch.17 A family Effort
Ch.18 Ruby Red
Ch.19 Trust in me
Ch.20 Leave a message
Ch.21 No cream, one sugar
Ch.22 Autura
Ch.23 Bees and Honey
Ch.24 Just a drop
Ch.25 The night changes
Ch.26 And there she was...
Ch.27 Puzzle Pieces
Ch.28 Strangers
Ch. 29 Thunder
Ch.30 Vestal
Ch.32 Caveman
Ch. 33 Cry me a river
Ch.34 Introductions
Ch.35 Fresh start and flowers
Ch.36 Heart to heart
Ch. 37 Time out
Ch.38 Soul's Solace
Ch.39 Like it's your last day
Ch.40 Promises of Forever
Ch.41 Bath time
Epilogue

Ch. 31 Clay Doll

5.7K 568 203
By marcyswales17

Chapter 31

"A vestal priestess," Ares said as he laid down the book in front of Hayden and Nora in his and Clare's office. "The original demigods. Or demi titans, I guess."

"Demi titans are born only as females," Tobias continued. "After the fall of our father, Zeus had Hestia round up all the demi titans and keep them in her temples. Once the Roman came around and changed all of our names, Hestia became Vesta and the priestesses became the Vestals."

"So..." Nora's quivering hand reached out and touched the old text in front of her. "I have titan blood?"

Tobias nodded.

"What does that mean?"

"No a whole lot," Ares shrugged. "Demi titans used to be stronger than demigods. Some even believe witches came from offsprings of the original Vestals. But after centuries of mixing with other blood, the vestals' strength and magic vanished."

"But they're not useless," Kiara said from where she sat in an armchair.

Her knees were pulled up to her chest and her wild air flew around her face. Hayden hated the way those gold eyes watched Nora. If it weren't for Killian sitting beside the psychopath on guard, Hayden would have pulled Nora out of the room.

"No," Tobias shook his head. "They're definitely not useless."

"What do you mean?" Hayden looked at the god.

Tobias sighed, "Even though Vestals no longer have any powers or strength, they are of titan blood."

"So?" Nora arched her brow. "What does that mean?"

"It means....you have no soul," Tobias hesitated.

"Excuse me?" Nora's eyes widened. "What?"

"All that you are now, is all that you will ever be," Ares continued. "There is no afterlife for you or rebirth."

Nora felt her insides turn to ice and her knees started to ache. There was a pounding in her head and the pressure was starting to pulse behind her eyes.

"And all this," Kiara gestured with her hand. "Makes you the perfect clay doll."

"Clay doll?" Clare spoke up for the first time since they had come into the office.

"Without a soul, her body is free for anyone to inhabit," Kiara smiled. "For a new soul or for....."

"Magic," Clare's eyes narrowed.

"Precisely," Kiara's smile grew wider.

"That's why you are here," Clare's jaw tensed. "You want Nora's body."

"It would be a nice change," Kiara smiled. "Kiara is driving me insane. I hate bodies with a soul. They're so attached to things."

"I have a soul," Nora suddenly spoke up. "I am not a clay doll. I think, I feel, I love. I have emotions and memories."

"That's just your conscience," Tobias said.

"I....what?" Nora shook her head in confusion.

"Think of it this way," Ares looked around the room for a pen. "A soul is like a pen mark. The writing is hard, next to impossible, to remove from a paper. All of their memories, the essence of who they are, are tied to the soul. But for a vestal, it's not a pen mark. It's more like a pencil mark. It's there....but once you erase it, it's gone forever...."

Hayden's hand balled into a fist in his hand. His eyes were lowered, scanning the pages as his ears listened to all the conversation around the room. His heart was racing so fast he feared he might miss out on something important.

"Wh-what does all this mean?" Nora asked. Her voice was like a punch to Hayden's chest.

"It means if anyone were to possess you, you would be gone forever," Ares explained.

Before Nora could comprehend what was being said, Hayden's eyes snapped up to Kiara. His stomach twisted at the smile on the girl's lips. Those gold eyes were glued on Nora like a hungry vulture on an innocent prey.

"Don't even think about it," he said through his teeth.

"Tobias," Kiara ignored Hayden and called to the god. "I'll make you a deal."

"No," Clare shook her head.

Kiara looked at Killian and then at Tobias. She took in a long deep breath before unfolding her legs and rising from the chair she was curled up in.

"I'll give up Kiara,"she said, her eyes locking with Tobias. "In exchange for Nora."

"No," Hayden rose to his feet, surprisingly calm despite the anger boiling in him.

He pulled Nora up to her feet and snapped his finger. A portal appeared beside him, ready and waiting for him to whisk Nora away.

"Either Nora," Kiara finally looked at the half jinn. "Or her aunt."

"No," Nora shook her head.

"Think about it, Tobias," Kiara said as her gaze moved up and down Nora's tiny frame. "Kiara and Lila could be together forever..."

Killian's eyes flickered to Nora. His blue eyes were pained as the muscles in his jaw clenched and he looked away before Hayden snapped.

"This is not happening," Clare stepped in. "We do not trade innocent lives."

"You know I will never leave Kiara, right?" Kiara looked at the god as Killian flinched from her words. "She will never see her daughter. Her daughter will never know her mother."

"I'm not going to let that happen," Clare said. "I will find a way and I will get Kiara away from you."

"I'm giving you the solution, Clare Bear," Kiara held up her hand. "Nora."

"Absolutely not," Hayden held out his hand and pushed Nora behind him.

"Then the aunt?" Kiara asked.

"No!" Nora protested over Hayden's shoulder.

"Everybody calm down!" Ares' voice rose. "Nothing of that sort is happening. No one is going to touch Nora. She's not even purified yet."

"What does that mean?" Nora's eyes were beginning to water from the anxiety and stress running through her system.

"You're a clay doll, my dear," Kiara rolled her eyes. "Clay needs to be baked to be hardened."

"Baked?" Nora gasped.

"In Olympian flames," Kiara smiled.

"Will that benefit her?" Hayden looked at Ares.

"You want to bake me?" Nora tried to step away from the half jinn but Hayden grabbed her wrist.

"If it means keeping you safe and in one piece then yes," he said, pulling her behind him once more.

"And who are you to decide this?" Nora's fear and frustration morphed into anger. "Who are any of you to decide this?"

"We're the guardians," Tobias said. "It's our job to protect the earth, mankind, and the cosmos."

"You walking around with Titan blood can be dangerous," Ares said. "Purifying you will burn away any ill intent you might have lurking inside of you."

"I don't want this," Nora shook her head. "I want no part of this. I want to go home, report my aunt missing, and find Banks."

"We can't let you go," Ares frowned. "You and your aunt are the first vestals we've come across in over a hundred years."

"Clearly we existed without any trouble," Nora said. "What's the issue?"

"The issue is that you shouldn't exist," Tobias said. "Vestals were not permitted to reproduce after they entered Hestia's temples. But obviously some did in secrecy."

Suddenly, as the god spoke, a dark and horrible thought began to surface in Nora's mind. She placed her hand on Hayden's arm and slowly looked over to Tobias.

"Wh-what happened to the vestals?" she asked. "The ones in the temple?"

"They died," the god said. "Of natural causes."

"And the ones who had children?" Nora asked. "What happened to those children?"

"We ever found all of them," Ares sighed. "Some time back, in the 1600's, a secret covenant of vestals appeared. They gathered to try and grow their bloodline. But Zeus put an end to them. Whatever records they kept was probably what skyfall used to track you down."

"They were killed?" Nora felt dizzy.her ears had started to ring.

Ares hesitated, feeling Clare's eyes on him, "Yes."

"But their children lived," Kiara said. "And their children. The blood spread and spread and now here you are."

"Is Zeus going to kill me?" Nora asked.

"No," Ares assured her.

"Tell her the whole truth," Kiara snorted. She turned to the girl hiding behind the half jinn, "Zeus won't touch you as long as you never have children. If you dare reproduce and spread Titan blood, he will kill you and your children."

The ringing in Nora's ears grew so loud she couldn't hear anyone else. The air in the room grew thick and heavy as she started to fight for each breath. Her vision blurred and the room began to sway. Nora felt Hayden reach back and touch her hand but she couldn't respond. She heard someone say her name and then all eyes turned towards her. Hayden's green eyes were dark with concern as he grabbed her shoulder and pulled her upright.

"Nora?" He shook her face, pulling her to his chest.

Nora wanted to start crying but she couldn't remember how to. Her mind was in shambles. Her stomach turned and her knees buckled. She was thankful Hayden was holding her up. Without him, she would have fallen on the floor.

"Nora?" Hayden called to her again, his voice filled with worry. "Hey, hey. You're okay. I'm here. Look at me and breathe."

"Hayden," Clare called to the boy. "Take her back to your house. Keep an eye on her."

"She needs to be purified," Ares tried to step in.

"Give the girl a second!" Clare said sternly. "This is a lot to take in. She needs time to process this. We all do. And we have to find her aunt."

"I already have men looking for her," Ares said.

"Actually, Clare," Kiara held up her hand. "I don't need time for anything. I know what I want."

"You're not getting it," Clare said.

"Tobias?" Kiara looked to the god.

Clare suddenly realized both Tobias and Killian had gone silent. She whirled around and narrowed her eyes.

"Tobias," she said. "No."

"We don't trade innocent lives, Clare," Killian spoke up. "You taught me that."

"So Kiara means nothing to you?" Kiara whirled around with her gold eyes ablaze. "You pushed her to her breaking point and now that I'm giving you an option to get her back, you're denying it?"

"Nora is not an option," Tobias said. "We will not bargain with you."

The pressure that had been building in Clare's chest lessened slightly by the god's words. She turned back to Hayden and nodded her head.

"Go," she said. "Watch over her."

Hayden threw one last glance at Kiara before scooping Nora up into his arms and disappearing into the portal. The remaining eyes in the room all turned towards Kiara as she stood in the center of the room.

"You will follow Killian to your room," Clare informed her. "And don't even think about trying to walk out of this place. I am done playing games with you."

"You do not scare me, Clare," Kiara smiled. "You seem to forget that I am not Azazel."

"I don't care who you are," Clare said. "You need to go. You are not wanted here."

"Death is rarely ever welcomed," Kiara rolled her eyes.

Clare said nothing as the golden eyed girl began to head for the door. Killian followed her silently. Clare's heart began to ache for the boy. He did not deserve any of it. He was good but life was not kind to him. Clare could see the heartbreak in his face. She felt her chest tighten and the back of her throat burn every time she realized she played a part in the mess Killian was in.

Once out in the hall, Killian placed his hand on Kiara's lower back and guided her towards the room she would be staying in. He had expected her to resist, but when she began to move without hesitation, he wanted to sigh a breath of relief.

"I like this habit of yours," Kiara said, reaching back to touch Killian's hand on her back.

When she watched him arch a brow, the girl laughed and looked up through her dark lashes.

"This was one of Kiara's favorite memories," Kiara said, leaning a bit closer to Killian. "You holding her like this. It made her feel safe."

Killian didn't say anything. His throat tightened as the pressure in his chest returned.

"Do you miss her?" Kiara asked once they stopped in front of the room.

"You're the last person I want to speak to about her," Killian said.

"Why?" Kiara asked. "Is it because you broke her?"

Killian's eyes snapped up. His mouth opened to protest but he couldn't find the words.

"Don't tell me you didn't," Kiara laughed. "I know the feeling. I've felt it. I'm right here, remember?"

Killian's body tensed. He just wanted to send her into the room and forget about those gold eyes. But the person standing in front of him was also the girl he was madly in love with. The smell of her hair kept him coming back and grounded his feet. It was torture.

"Killian..." Kiara took a small step forward. "You can help her."

Killian's eyes narrowed.

"We can both do this for her," Kiara said. "You can get Nora and I will leave Kiara. Think about it. Think about Lila."

"No," Killian shook his head. "Clare will find a way."

"When? How?"

"We do not trade innocent lives," Killian said.

"You can mend her broken heart," Kiara tilted her head. "Take her away from here. Somewhere far far away, with Lila."

Killian swallowed the bitterness rising in his throat. He pushed the door open and gently guided Kiara inside. Her eyes watched him as he waited until she was inside to reach for the locks on the door.

"Killian," Kiara called to him. "Don't you want a family with Kiara and Lila?"

The words fell on deaf ears. Killian closed the door and used the locks Clare had given him. He turned each key and bit down on his molars as Kiara's voice began to hum inside the room.

With a heavy heart, Killian turned and walked towards the elevator. He had half a mind to walk around the lavender fields outside of campus to clear his head. But when he checked his watch and realized he hadn't checked in with Posey since the morning, his priorities shifted instantly.

Making his way over to the residential apartments beside campus, Killian took the stairs two at a time before he arrived at the top floor where Posey and Tobias were straying. He let himself in and quickly made his way to one of the bedrooms in the back of the apartment. As he opened the door, he heard Posey gasp playfully and turn around.

"Dada is here," she said, bouncing Lila in her arms.

"Hey," Killian said to the woman before reaching for his daughter.

"Tobias called," Posey said, handing the baby over. "He said you were on your way here."

Killian nodded. He carefully gathered Lila in his arms and brushed his lips over her forehead. Her soft skin smelled of innocence and warmth. It made Killian's chest tighten painfully.

"Is Tobias with Kia right now?" Posey asked.

Killian nodded once more. He couldn't speak. The pressure in his chest was too much.

"Will you be okay with Lila for a little bit?" Posey asked. "I want to go see Kiara."

"Yeah," Killian managed to say.

"Call me if you need anything. She ate and I just changed her."

"Thank you."

Posey gave a small smile. She leaned over and placed a light kiss on Killian's head before walking to the door. Killian waited until he heard Posey step out of the apartment to let his shoulders drop and his mind collapse.

Lila laid snug against her father's arms as he held her against his chest. Killian's eyes watched her small face as his eyes slowly began to water. He tried to control the rate at which all the emotions surfaced to the top, but it was pointless. He held Lila carefully and sank down on the edge of the bed. His chest contracted and pretty soon the quiet nursery filled with the sound of him crying.

Killian couldn't take his eyes off of Lila. He had her pinned to the center of his world. The little girl had her mother's eyes and they were haunting. Killian felt the weight of the world on his shoulder as he broke down with his baby girl in his hands.

Nothing made sense. No matter what he tried to do, everything seemed to always go wrong. If it was just him, he would have happily traded away his life by now. But this was much bigger than him. This was now about Lila and Kiara. Killian couldn't give that away.

Drowning in the harrowing darkness of his mind, Killian didn't realize when the small figure had appeared in the room and sat down beside him on the bed. It wasn't until he felt the light touch that he looked up and realized Lachesis was beside him.

"Hello, Killian," the fate said as her small hand retreated.

Seeing her was like another storm unleashing over Killian. He stared at the face of his daughter with his eyes red and filled with tears, wondering if the little girl will ever feel Kiara's love. He pulled Lila a bit closer and held her protectively as Lachesis' eyes fell on her face.

"What are you doing here?" Killian asked, surprised he was able to speak.

"Breaking traditions, customs, rituals, and rules," Lachesis sighed.

Killian arched his brow.

"You might now like what I have to say," the little girl said, toying with her long dark hair.

"Then leave," Killian said through his teeth.

"I came to tell you how to get Kiara back."

Killian felt his already broken heart crack even more. He was too fearful to even hear what the fate had to say. Too many times good news had turned dark and evil in his life.

"Magic has memory," Lachesis began slowly.

"Yes, I know that," Killian said impatiently.

"Kiara is trapped under a mountain of memories," Lachesis' gaze stayed glued on Lila. "And that memory has started to take form and come alive."

"Why are you telling me all this?" Killian asked.

"This thing that's inside of her," Lachesis' face twisted with disgust. "It's not a soul. It has no place to be here and mess with our plans."

"Like you're not letting it happen," Killian jeered.

"No, we're not," Lachesis' eyes snapped up. Her brown eyes were filled with anger. "That is why I am here. I'm here to tell you to wipe her out."

"What are you talking about?"

"Memory can be erased," Lachesis said firmly. "Wipe it out of existence."

"Wipe Kiara's mind?" Killian's eyes widened. "But what about Kiara's memories?"

"It's the only way to save her," Lachesis said. "She will live and form new memories."

"No," Killian's head began to spin once more.

"The longer you wait, the more painful it will be for everyone," the fate said. "Go to Clare. Tell her to wipe Kiara's mind."  

This chapter was a lot to put into words lol 

What do you think they will decide to do with Nora and Kiara? 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.5K 934 22
"Can I face my problems alone or die trying?"
8.3K 550 7
❝IF I COULD BE HONEST FOR ONE DAY, EVEN JUST FOR A SPLIT SECOND, I'D TELL YOU THAT I'M HURTING. AND I MEAN REALLY HURTING.❞ ALL RIGHTS RESERVED | 201...
140 0 5
I would hear the song one more time, then the storm would batter me to death. That is what I hoped for.
24 2 29
Horror. Vampires. Love. Death