Then Came You (Zhongli x Read...

Od pinkstethoscope

"But then came you," he finally looked up, "and you completely shattered my world." What happens when the sto... Více

Foreword
New Beginnings
An Enigma
On the Way
An Unanticipated Warrior
A Comforting Perspective
At the Inn
A Little Something for My Pretty Crush
Meet My Dear Friends
The Confession
A Memory of a Dear Friend
A Contest Winning Lantern
A Surprise Date
A Careless Mistake
The Moment of Disaster
Rex Lapis
Everlasting Bonds are Built on Trust
Epilogue
Author's Note
Q&A
Booyah
Author's Note
Lost Memories
A Love to Remember
The Greatest Gift
The Lion's Lair

An Acquaintance

12.5K 460 405
Od pinkstethoscope

Recommended song: "Je te laiserrai des mots" by Patrick Watson

I

"Ah, Mr Zhongli," you greeted the said man as he walked over to where you were standing.

"Was everything to your liking Miss Y/N?" Zhongli asked, eyes shining even brighter than before, a sense of pride befalling them for a job well done.

"Yes. It was more than what I had expected," you said a bit awkwardly.

When you had arrived at the venue that morning, you were surprised to see bouquets of glaze lilies which you didn't remember signing off on. There was also a whole platter of incense for the visitors to choose from along with several lanterns that had your family name written on them.

"Compliments of the director. Since she couldn't personally be available to sign over the contract, Hu Tao managed to send her condolences through these goods," Zhongli replied, hands neatly folded behind his back. His smooth, patient, elegant voice calmed you down to such an extent it was shocking.

"Thank you for everything, I quite liked it."

You had to admit, the service was beautiful. Although you were already floating on a cloud, the added finishing touches provided by the parlour improved your mood a great deal. The priest called out to you, and you excused yourself, pulling out your purse to pay him his fees.

Zhongli breathed a sigh of relief as he saw you walking across the grass.

'I'm glad she liked the glaze lilies.'

Zhongli took a seat on a nearby wooden table and went over the bills of the event. He waited patiently as you ushered the guests to their carts that would take them back to the city. Seeing you escort the last of the guests, he began to prepare the ink and laid out the pile of papers for you to sign.

You sat across from him, dipping the brush in ink and signing your name on page after page of yellow papyrus. Finally, you pulled out the bag of Mora and handed it to Zhongli: payment for his services.

"Well, that concludes it," Zhongli said as he folded up the papers in two envelopes, placing one in his coat pocket and the other in your hand.

"It was a pleasure doing business with you Miss Y/N." Zhongli stood up and bowed his head. You mirrored his actions and just as he was about to walk away, your mouth spewed out the words you had spent the entire morning practising in your head.

"Mr Zhongli," he turned around. "I would like to apologise for my past behaviour. It was unethical and rude of me to take it out on you and... what was that boy's name again?"

"Xiao," Zhongli said, the upper corners of his lips curving slightly.

"Yes, Xiao. If I ever have the chance to meet him again, I would like to apologise to him as well."

"There's no need really. Emotions are complex. Its qualities are what make us... mortals," he added a bit strangely.

"Still. Let me make it up to you. How about lunch at the Wanmin Restaurant? My treat," you said, flashing a cheery smile, hands wrapped behind your back with a small tilt to your head.

For a second, Zhongli seemed to consider the offer. He had other, more important things to do. However, the mention of a free meal did sound enticing. Shaking his head, he said,

"You wouldn't take no for an answer, would you?"

You shook your head in agreement.

He huffed a breathy chuckle and crossed his arms across his chest. "Very well then. I will see you at the Wanmin Restaurant later. One o'clock?"

"Yes, one's perfect."

He smiled in accord and turned around to walk back to the parlour.

'She is in a good mood today,' he thought to himself.

'Her smile is way prettier than that frown she had adorned yesterday.'

He had wanted to refuse your offer, his meeting with Xiao looming in the distance as he had promised, however, that little tilt in your head made him reconsider in an instant.

He wouldn't break his promise; he was the God of Contracts for Archon's sake. He would just delay his meeting a little; surely Xiao wouldn't mind.

II

You came back to the empty house, your luggage packed and ready in a corner. The lease of the house lay on the centre table of the living room, awaiting your initials. Taking a look around the house, you sighed, a hand massaging your sore shoulder from keeping your head low all day.

"New beginnings, am I right?" you said to no one in particular.

A knock on the entrance door and entered the landlord, hunched and old, muttering his greetings to you. You welcomed him into the house, offering some water and snacks as he made himself comfortable.

"This is a nice establishment," he said, looking around. "I cannot for the life of me understand why you are so bent on selling it." The landlord went over the papers.

"Ah, this was long overdue," you waved him off.

In total honesty, you had the papers for the house prepared long back. Every time your uncle did something to piss you off, you would take out these very papers and stare at them for hours, promising to yourself that one day you would sell all his belongings and move to that little, lavish apartment by Yujing Terrace.

"Well, who knows what you young kids think about these days. Anyway, sign here and here and this house will officially be Liyue's property again."

You followed his instructions, and after exchanging a few more sentences, he wished you well for your future endeavours and left.

A weight lifted off your shoulders as you picked up your bags and loaded them in the cart waiting for you one by one, bound to take you to Yujing Terrace. As you locked the doors and handed the keys to the Millelith soldier, you mustered one last look.

This chapter of your life was sealed away forever.

On reaching your new house, you thanked the friendly neighbours who helped you carry your bags and greeted their kids, handing out a few sugar-frosted slimes. The inside of the apartment was still bare, accessorized with only a bed, a dining table, some lamps and a mural painted on a wall.

'The house belonged to an artist, before she left Liyue to live in the Qingce Village for the rest of her life,' the landlady had told you.

New beginnings indeed.

You checked the time: fifteen minutes till rendezvous. You had felt very guilty about your actions in a way you couldn't describe. That man was remarkably kind, even though it was to be expected from someone whose job was to cater to his customers' needs. Your previous temperament had just felt... wrong. And you sincerely wanted to make it up to him, a congenial force pulling on your guts.

Promising yourself to unpack after returning, you left, making your way to the renowned eatery.

III

As you had expected to find him, Zhongli stood near the tables, hands behind his back, listening keenly to the storyteller performing at that moment.

"Hello," you greeted, popping your head in his field of vision. His eyes lit up like coals being fanned in a fire and he returned your smile with equal warmth.

"Sorry to make you wait," you said as the two of you walked over to an empty table and seated yourselves.

"Think nothing of it. Besides, the story over here was interesting enough to keep me busy," Zhongli replied, motioning to the storyteller performing.

"...The passing of Rex Lapis brought a certain grim on the citizens of Liyue, the reins of the city being handed over to the Qixing. The Tianquan of the Liyue Qixing, Ningguang, though initially under suspicion for her actions, was now the law of the city of contracts. Osial, the Overlord of the Vortex, who was put to sleep by Morax himself years ago, was slain by the Adepti and a trusted ally, and now, as we breathe the forsaken air of free will..."

You left a sharp exhale through your nose, hand propping your chin as you listened to the storyteller go on about the events of the previous month. Zhongli's eyebrows scrunched together ever so slightly when he observed your reaction to the words.

"Something wrong?" he asked innocently.

"The people here really believe whatever is fed to them. They often forget that what's visible is not always the case behind the circumstance," you leaned back in your seat, eyes fixated on the storyteller.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, that Rex Lapis is not dead. It's all a façade."

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

447K 18.1K 42
Xiao x Reader! Author's Note: Do not comment explicit sexual statements, it makes me uncomfortable. There's a reason this note is here now. Thanks.
109K 3.6K 15
-', in which something appears in her apartment to give her powers that allow (Y/n) to go from Anime universe to anime universe. ,'- ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔...
1.2M 37.2K 38
The mist pillar,Muichiro Tokito have a sister.Tokito Y/N,the tsuguko of Muichiro. A certain mission that make her teleport into future.What will happ...
9.7M 639K 75
Yaduvanshi series #1 An Arranged Marriage Story. POWER!!!!! That's what he always wanted. He is king of a small kingdom of Madhya Pradesh but his pow...