An Enigma

Recommended song: "Meteor Shower" by cavetown

I

"Oh?"

Zhongli sat up straight, refusing to hint at any emotions. Here was a mortal, challenging an Archon; calling him out on his little trick. His curiosity regarding Y/N was more piqued than ever.

"The Prime of Adepti is the oldest Archon out of the Seven. He is the wittiest, most calculating everlasting and any thoughts of him being assassinated are plain nonsense."

"And why is that?" Zhongli nudged.

"You really expect for the Warrior God to not be able to hold his ground during a fight? The one who fought in the Archon War?" you snarked, arms crossed across your chest.

So simple, yet so convincing. He hadn't given it much thought at that time.

"There was a body," Zhongli countered.

"Anyone can replace a body."

You watched his reaction closely: lips parted; eyes widening ever so slightly. If you didn't have a keen eye, thanks to years of observing ores to distinguish them from the fakes, you wouldn't have noticed.

"There is something bigger at play here," you pondered, eyes still scanning Zhongli for the littlest of a misstep. "Word on the street is, not too long ago a certain Cryo Archon managed to get her hands on Barbatos' Anemo Gnosis."

Zhongli didn't dare move an inch.

"If she already had one of her own, why bother taking someone else's?" you teased, voice dropping to a low octave.

"More importantly," you continued, almost whispering, "does she plan on collecting them all? Did the Geo Archon lose a bet and in turn had to submit his Gnosis over to her? Is that why, to propose his retirement, he faked his death?"

You sat back, satisfied with your line of reasoning. Zhongli dipped his head, a hand on his chin.

"Or maybe it's something else." Zhongli looked back at you.

"Everyone in Liyue is familiar with Keqing's way of thinking," you laced your fingers together and placed them on the wooden table.

"It's true, that Liyue is way too reliant on its Archon. Maybe Rex Lapis wanted to test his nation. Wanted to see what his people would do when they are faced with a crisis far beyond their reach, with no one other than the Qixing and the Adepti as their shields. It's a shame though.," you sighed, hoping to relax the tense atmosphere.

"I was quite fond of that Jade Palace. I had hoped of visiting it maybe once in my lifetime."

'Brilliant.'

That was the first word that popped into his head after you had finished speaking. A mere human couldn't reflect so deeply with the inner workings of a God.

'Is she associated with Childe? Did he possibly tell her about the recent events?' It seemed unlikely, yet he couldn't fathom how you had figured it out so easily.

"Eh, anyway," you waved it off, "what possible benefit do I have in figuring out an almighty's ulterior motive?"

Zhongli smiled; eyes still fascinated by the little conversation.

"Enough talk. Let's order."

You motioned to a waitress and she came over to your table, explaining the varieties available for the day. After listening intently to all the options, you decided on a Mushroom Pizza and Calla Lily Seafood Soup, while Zhongli ordered a Slow-Cooked Bamboo Shoot Soup paired with Vegetarian Abalone.