Angelfall (Skyfall #2)

By marcyswales17

"Oh what an adventure it would be to die..." More

Ch.1 Lover
Ch.2 Play Along
Ch. Baklava
Ch. 4 Undress
Ch.5 Green with Envy
Ch.6 The Human Brain
Ch. 7 Innocence
Ch.8 Onions
Ch.9 Sounds
Ch.10 Good Girls
Ch.11 Play the System
Ch.12 All things nice
Ch.13 Little Fairy
Ch. 14 Take me home
CH.15 Gifts
Ch.16 Be Nice!
Ch.17 A family Effort
Ch.18 Ruby Red
Ch.19 Trust in me
Ch.20 Leave a message
Ch.21 No cream, one sugar
Ch.22 Autura
Ch.23 Bees and Honey
Ch.24 Just a drop
Ch.25 The night changes
Ch.26 And there she was...
Ch.27 Puzzle Pieces
Ch.28 Strangers
Ch. 29 Thunder
Ch. 31 Clay Doll
Ch.32 Caveman
Ch. 33 Cry me a river
Ch.34 Introductions
Ch.35 Fresh start and flowers
Ch.36 Heart to heart
Ch. 37 Time out
Ch.38 Soul's Solace
Ch.39 Like it's your last day
Ch.40 Promises of Forever
Ch.41 Bath time
Epilogue

Ch.30 Vestal

5.4K 584 224
By marcyswales17

Chapter 30

The rain continued on an off for several hours as Nora familiarized herself with the treehouse. Hayden's eyes watched her like a hawk as the girl moved around and touched everything in the place. Somehow, in between talking about the rain and reading poems from a small book on the shelf, Nora and Hayden ended up on the daybed, laid out beside one another with the window behind them and the sound of rain on tree leaves.

"Do you think there are aliens?" Nora asked as she watched Hayden turn the page in the book.

"Maybe," Hayden said, reading each word on the page with extreme caution so that his mind wouldn't focus on the way Nora's chest rose and fell in a steady beat.

"There has to be," Nora said, playing with the ruffles of her shirt in her stomach. "I mean....I'm here beside a half jinn and half fey. An alien doesn't seem like such a crazy idea."

"Is this what you think about all day?" Hayden smiled.

"No," Nora rolled her eyes. "I was just asking."

"Can I stop the rain now?"

"No."

"Nora," Hayden said patiently. "I'm sure the stream is overflowing by now."

"It's going to get so quiet if it stops running," Nora's face wilted.

Hayden caught the change from the corner of his eyes and slowly pushed himself up to his elbows. He looked down at the girl beside him, wondering how she couldn't understand the beauty of how the woods held its breath.

"Why don't you like it when it's quiet?" He asked.

"I just don't," Nora shrugged.

"But why?"

"It's boring," Nora sat up. "There's nothing to do in silence."

"But isn't that a good thing?"

"No," Nora shook out her hair.

"Maybe you'll like it here."

"Hayden," Nora looked up. "Don't."

"You haven't even tried to sit still for ten minutes and just breath," Hayden laughed. "Meditation is very good for the mind."

"I don't need to try it."

"Come on, Nora," Hayden nudged her with the back of his hand. "You might like it. It's very calming and c-"

"I don't want to try it!" Nora jumped up from the bed. "Jesus! Why are you so pushy?"

"I'm just trying to get you to try something new," Hayden arched a brow. "Why are you acting like a child?"

"I'm not acting like a child," Nora narrowed her eyes.

"You're being very stubborn over something very simple."

"It's not very simple and you are being stubborn too," Nora huffed. "I don't want to do this."

"Why not?"

"I don't have to tell you."

"Because you're stubborn."

"No!" Nora's brows knit together. Her heart had started to race and breathing was becoming a challenge. "Because! .... My mom.....my mom died."

Hayden felt his heart contract as he heard the way Nora's voice cracked. He sat up and scooted to the edge of the day bed. Reaching out, he took Nora's hand and tugged her forward.

"I'm sorry," he said.

"She...." Nora looked down at their hands. "She passed away in the middle of the night. I was beside her....I didn't know....I slept beside her all night and didn't know."

Hayden's hand tightened around Nora's. He tugged her forward once more, wanting her to his on his lap so he could wrap his arms around her. But when she moved to sit beside him on the bed, he figured it was for the best.

"What about that bothers you?" Hayden asked as Nora placed his hand on her lap.

"I...I wish I knew when it happened," Nora shook her head, not lifting her gaze. "I always think that maybe if I had heard something then maybe I could have called for help. It was so quiet....."

Hayden didn't know how it was possible for one's heart to break with someone else's pain. He gave up trying to be rational and pulled Nora forward. Before she could protest, he scooped Nora up and placed her on his lap. Her dark hair fell over her shoulder and created a screen between the two. Despite how good her hair smelled, Hayden reached up and swiped back her locks to look at Nora's face.

"What if she suffered?" Nora looked up, her brown eyes teary. "What if she needed help and I didn't hear her."

"You can't let the possibilities of what if weigh you down in life," Hayden said. "It was her time to go. There was nothing you could have done about that. I'm sorry...."

"I know," Nora nodded. "But I don't think I will ever forget how that morning felt like."

"That's why you don't like quiet things," Hayden was tempted to place a kiss on her shoulder. "Because it reminds you of that day?"

Nora slowly nodded. She rubbed a small scar on Hayden's left hand as her lungs timidly learned how to work again. She could feel Hayden's eyes on her as she ran her finger over his little scar.

"What happened here?" Nora asked after some time.

"My aunt was babysitting me one night and I tried to climb over her fence," Hayden said.

Nora's head snapped up.

"What's wrong?" Hayden's arm immediately tightened around her.

"Aunt," Nora said, wiggling out of his hold. "I have to call Aunt Lidia. I had dinner plans with her. She must be worried sick. How long have we been here?"

"A few hours," Hayden frowned as Nora got off his lap.

"A few hours?" Nora's eyes widened. "Shit! I don't even have my phone with me!"

"It's okay, It's okay," Hayden got up. "We can go home and I'll go grab your stuff from the palace."

"Okay," Nora nodded. "I'll come with you. I need to check in with Aunt Lidi-"

"No," Hayden shook his head. "You're not going back to the palace."

"I have stuff to get," Nora arched her brow. "You wouldn't know where anything is."

"All you need is your phone, right?"

"And my laptop, my planner, my external hard drive, my half finished report for Abraham, my spreadsheets, the new security codes."

"You don't need all that."

"Says who?"

"Me," Hayden grew impatient. "I'll just get you your phone and then we can figure out the rest in a few days."

"Few days?" Nora shrieked. "What the hell? How long am I going to be here?"

"I don't know," Hayden shook his head. "But you're not leaving my sight until Kiara is back with Killian. And if not me then I'm going to have either Birdie or my parents keep an eye on you."

"Are you serious right now?" Nora was baffled.

"Completely."

"Hayden...." Nora shook her head to try and understand him. "I have work and family and friends. I can't just hide out here with you."

"This is for your safety," Hayden said sternly.

"I understand that," Nora took in a deep breath to keep herself calm. "But this is a bit overboard. You can't put me into a witness protection program like this."

"I can."

"What?"

"I can call Owen right now or even Maksim and get an order to put you under my watch."

"That's abuse of power," Nora took a step back. "You're kidnapping me."

Hayden rolled his eyes, "I'm trying to keep you safe from death."

"By locking me up?"

"I'm not locking you up!" Hayden defended.

"Am I free to leave or go wherever I want?"

"....No," Hayden said slowly. "But-"

"Hayden," Nora sighed and dropped her head into her hands. "Please....just....just let me be."

"Trust me," Hayden felt his chest tighten. "I'm trying....but you keep getting dragged into all this mess."

"Don't you think she would have come for me by now if she really wanted me dead?"

"You really wanna take that chance and go home?"

"You really think you can stop death if they come for me?"

Hayden flinched from those words. They made his chest ache and his breathing grow uneven.

"I just need to talk to my aunt," Nora's voice softened. "And I'll stay here. But just let me grab my things."

"You'll stay?" Hayden looked up.

"Yes," Nora nodded. "I'm not stupid. I'm not going to go run around like a chicken without a head when I have an entire clan of jinns willing to keep me safe."

Hayden slowly nodded his head, "Thank you."

"I would like to go to my apartment and pick up a few things, please."

Hayden nodded once more, "Sure....but we'll have to use a portal."

"I know," Nora's nose scrunched up.

She stepped forward, missing the small smile on Hayden's lips. He wrapped his arm around her and guided Nora's head to his chest. Her arms wrapped around him and she stilled as she felt him step back into the portal that had just appeared.

"It'll get better," Hayden whispered to Nora as they appeared in her room.

"It won't," Nora shook her head.

"That's fine by me," Hayden said, taking a sniff of her hair. "Go grab what you need. I'll give you ten minutes."

"You truly are the worst," Nora groaned as she playfully pushed away from the half jinn.

But as soon as they stepped out of their bubble and Nora opened her eyes, her mouth fell open in a loud breathless gasp.

The room was torn to shreds. Book shelves broken in half, sheets ripped, pillows on the floor, clothes on scattered all around....

Hayden's hand immediately reached for Nora's wrist. But before he could grab her, she ran out of the room, calling for her aunt.

"Aunt Lidia!" she called to the woman as she pushed past the books by the door and into the halls.

"Nora!" Hayden ran after her.

"Aunt Li-" Nora came to a sudden halt at the entrance of the living room as her eyes fell on the figure standing in the middle of the disheveled apartment.

Hayden spotted Kiara over Nora's shoulder and felt his heart freeze over. He flashed forward and landed in front of Nora, shielding her from Kiara's view.

"Kiara," Hayden looked into those golden eyes. "What happened here?"

"A lover's quarrel," Kiara shrugged. "The lady and the man were screaming and yelling."

"My aunt!" Nora said over Hayden's shoulder. "Where is she?"

"The doctor took her," Kiara said. "Threw her over his shoulder and carried her off."

"What?" Nora paled. "Dr. Banks?"

"Dr. James Bram Banks," Kiara said slowly. "Turns out the basters are brothers."

"What are you talking about?" Hayden asked, wishing he could open a portal behind Nora and push her through.

Killian, Clare, he opened his mind-link instead. I found Kiara.

"Nora," Kiara looked around Hayden's shoulder. "Come here a second, please."

"No." Hayden held out a hand, ready to blast her back if she tried to take a step forward.

"Relax," Kiara rolled her eyes. "I just want to see if the idiot doctor was actually right."

"About what?" Nora asked. "You spoke to him? Did you see him take Lidia? Why didn't you stop him?"

"Do I look like a superhero to you?" Kiara arched a brow. "I was just curious so I followed him and boy, am I glad I did!"

"So you stood by while Banks did all this?" Nora looked around her apartment.

"His real name is Bram," Kiara corrected her.

"I don't care!" Nora tried to push past Hayden. "Where did he take my aunt?"

"I don't know," Kiara shrugged. "But he's looking for you too."

"For me?" Nora's heart stopped. "Why?"

"If you come here, then maybe I can tell you," Kiara held out her hand.

"Nora, no!" Hayden said as he felt the girl shift behind him.

"Relax!" Nora snapped. "I'm not actually going to g-"

A sudden chill ran down Nora's back as the air in the room charged up, making all the hair on the back of her neck stand on its ends. She barely had time to part her lips before Kiara flicked her wrist and Hayden flew across the room and collided with the walls. Nora screamed, jumping back as Hayden fell onto a pile of broken shelves and dishes.

"Ah, finally," Kiara said, grabbing Nora's wrist.

Hayden jumped up to his feet and shot forward, his blue flames switching on instantly. The fire alarms came on and the sprinklers on the ceiling activated.

"Get away from her," he growled as he collided with Kiara and knocked the girl to the floor.

Nora screamed as Kiara's nails dug into her wrist and the girl tried to pull her down to the floor. Hayden shifted back into his human form and yanked Nora back.

"That was so rude!" Kiara jumped up. "What the hell?"

"I told you to get away from here," Hayden's eyes turned silver.

"I'm not going to kill her!" Kiara pushed her wet hair out of her eyes. "I just need to know if the doctor was right. Because if he was then you are in for a ride baby."

"What did he say?" Hayden asked through his teeth. "What are you trying to find out?"

"Where is my aunt?" Nora asked over the half jinn's shoulder.

"Your aunt, my dear" Kiara looked at Nora over Hayden's shoulder. "Is a Vestal Priestess."

"A what?" Nora asked.

"And I think you are one too," Kiara smiled.

Before Nora or Hayden could ask anymore questions, Clare appeared in the apartment with Killian and Tobias. Kiara looked at them and rolled her eyes with a groan.

"Clare!" Nora tried to run to the woman but Hayden stopped her. "Dr. Banks took my aunt!"

"For god's sake, his name is Bram!" Kiara clicked her tongue. "Do a deep background search on him. He's just like his brother, tainted by Skyfall."

"Kiara," Tobias took a step towards his daughter.

"Don't worry, Tobias," Kiara sighed. "I'm not running."

"What happened here?" Clare asked.

"The doctor took the priestess," Kiara said.

"What priestess?" Killian asked.

"Her aunt," Kiara pointed to Nora.

"My aunt isn't a priestess," Nora shook her head.

"Um, yes, she is," Kiara snorted. "And so are you."

"I am not a priestess!" Nora objected. "I'm not even a virgin!"

"Not a requirement for your kind," Kiara shrugged.

Nora's eyes were wide and filled with irritation and concerns. She looked to Clare with hope of making sense of the situation.

"What kind of priestess are you talking about?" Tobias asked his daughter.

"Do you remember Rome?" Kiara arched a brow. "And those beautiful girls?"

Tobias' eyes narrowed slightly. He turned towards Nora and took a small step forward. The girl's wide eyes bounced around the room as she took Hayden's hand.

"It can't be," Tobias muttered to himself. "They're all dead."

"Not all," Kiara said. "These two still live."

"Wh-what's happening?" Nora asked.

"Tobias?" Clare looked to the god.

"Clare...." Tobias slowly turned. "Call Ares."

"Why?"

As the two spoke, Nora moved closer to Hayden. He reached back and placed his hand over her on his arm as they listened to what Tobias was saying.

"Tell him we found a Vestal Priestess," the god said.

"What is that?" Clare turned to Nora.

"He'll know," Tobias said before turning to Nora once more. "You need to come with me."

"No," Hayden said, stepping in front of Nora.

"Hayden," Tobias' tone was serious. "Step out of the way. Nora is in grave danger. Let me help her."

"Will somebody tell me what is happening!" Nora yelled. "Where is my aunt? Help me find her!"

"Clare, get Ares," Tobias's voice was urgent. "We need to find the aunt."

"Thank you!" Nora was ready to burst into tears.

"You need to burn her," Kiara said, her eyes never leaving Nora.

"What?" Nora gasped.

"It's painless from what I remember being told," Kiara smiled.

"Back up," Hayden held up his hand. "No one is going to be burning anyone."

"We might not have a choice," Ares suddenly appeared. "If she's a vestal then she needs to be purified."

"I am not that," Nora shook her head. "Whatever that is."

"You are," Kiara said. "Your aunt carries the mark and I'm willing to bet you have it too."

"What mark?" Nora asked.

"Ares," Clare looked at her husband. "What is going on? What's a vestal priestess?"

"We can talk about all this in a sec," Ares said. "But first we need to get Nora as close to Mount Olympus as we can."

"Why?"

"Because...." Ares gaze flickered to the girl. "She has titan blood."  

I found some time to write this quickly :) What's going to happen to Nora now? 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

140 0 5
I would hear the song one more time, then the storm would batter me to death. That is what I hoped for.
86 0 197
:)))))
13.5K 922 22
"Can I face my problems alone or die trying?"
24 2 29
Horror. Vampires. Love. Death