ANYTHING BUT ENEMIES

By panickedsociety

When Cleo Cunningham is invited to the literary competition of a lifetime, she figures it's just what she nee... More

welcome
01. no sympathy card
02. yolo, i guess
04. falling for him
05. phone problems
06. the universe has it out for me
07. intimidation tactics
08. starstruck
09. (not so) great dane
10. let's do karaoke
11. morning antics
12. red pen wars
13. picking sides
14. scared i'll bite?
15. handouts from the circus
16. the jewelry dealer (part i)
16. the jewelry dealer (part ii)
17. pick-me-up (literally)
18. distraction session
19. pretty boy
20. focus, cleo
21. deal with the devil
22. not his type
23. the worst for my enemies
24. that's disgusting, ruby
25. compromise
26. are you asking me out again?
27. breaking the ice (part i)
27. breaking the ice (part ii)
28. holding hands
29. are you crying?
30. another group assignment
31. everyone likes me
32. the library (part i)
32. the library (part ii)
33. he enjoys humiliation
34. a horrible realization
35. attempts at honesty
36. a celebratory handshake
37. lost and found
38. a changed cleo
39. shooting star
40. nick strikes again
41. lying unprovoked
42. the real winners
43. confessions (part i)
43. confessions (part ii)
44. mark my words
a note
19. pretty girl (dane's version)
23. the worst for my enemies (dane's version)

03. a rich man's teddy bear

1K 62 68
By panickedsociety

"A YOUNG MAN came here a couple days ago to complain about our customer service."

I flinch at the sudden notes of Roselyn's voice, almost dropping the vase in my hand as it rose to my heart. "God, you need a cowbell."

She adjusts the grandma glasses on the bridge of her nose, lips puckering into an expression that I know is trying to hide a smile before straightening. "I'm trying to have a serious conversation with you right now, young lady."

"Was he tall? Unreasonable with some stupid preppy outfit? Father probably owns a yacht with how full of himself he is?"

My boss accidentally lets a snicker escape before schooling her face back into indifference. "Well, he was quite the looker, I'll tell you that."

Ugh.

"Yeah, let me stop you right there."

She shifts to the side, bringing something from behind her back, and I have to raise my hand to cover the smile that starts to grow across my face at the infamous donkey card.

"Familiar, Miss Cunningham?"

I hum noncommittally.

"You can not call our customers a-holes and say they resemble donkey behinds."

My snort escapes at the word behinds, "Roselyn, he was practically asking for it. You should have heard the stuff he was saying to me."

I earn a sigh in return. "I believe you, but you know we can't afford any bad reviews. It hurts business."

Making a big show of looking around the empty shop, I hold up a thumb. "Right."

"Cleo," she chides.

"Roselyn." I groan, setting the vase back where it belongs as her nails drum against one of the glass shelves. "He deserved a punch. I let him off way easy."

"What did he even say like that?"

"He made fun of my clothes, my name—and get this—he wanted me to pick out a sympathy card for him."

She gasps in a way that I would think is theatrical if I didn't know her as the woman who'd taken out a loan at the tender age of twenty-five to bring her longtime stationary shop dream into existence. "He didn't."

"He did." I nod soberly.

"In that case, I don't feel bad anymore."

"Feel bad?"

"Well, as my star employee I figured you couldn't be the in wrong..."

I arch an eyebrow as her words trail off, a smirk already starting to tug at my lips. "What'd you do to him?"

She leans against the back wall by the vase display, greying bun pressing to wood. "I may have convinced him to buy a paperweight for my troubles."

"...What paperweight?"

She holds up a finger before disappearing around the corner of the case. When she returns, there's a small brown teddy bear sculpture sitting in her hands, the thing clutching a tiny red heart with a painted-on smile.

My snort comes out loud and unexpected. "You convinced him to buy that? How?"

"I said it was for a good cause."

"Like charity?"

"I didn't say charity. Just a good cause. Such as your paycheck."

Only Roselyn could end up convincing a pissed off customer to drop more cash after coming in with the intent of complaining.

I grin like the Devil incarnate. "Have I ever told you how much I love you?"

She nudges my shoulder. "Not enough, Dear. Not enough."

I take the bear from her hands flipping it upside down to make sure I'm remembering the price correctly.

My memory proves to be elite, dark letters spelling out the expected $50 that physically pains me to look at, though I'm sure the guy has money to blow. It serves him right for butting in where he's unwanted.

What a sucker.

"I guess this means I'm not losing my job today?"

"Nope. You're not getting rid of me that easily."

"Thank god. I've got bills to pay." I hold up a finger suddenly remembering my big news. "Speaking of bills, I got into Fish Tank!"

She pauses for a second before her eyes widen in understanding. "The writing program?"

"Yep." I smile.

"Cleo!" She beams, instantly reaching out to fold me into a vanilla bean hug. "I knew you would get in, you smart cookie. When did you find out?"

"Two days ago."

She flicks my arm. I bet I have a bruise from how often she does that.

"And you didn't tell me! Does Sammy know yet?"

I smile sheepishly. "Uh, no."

"Cleo!" she yells again, apparently a broken record.

"Hey, hey, hey. I just forgot, okay. I would've told you two eventually."

Roselyn huffs before fishing a flip phone out of her pocket to call her granddaughter and one of my only friends in this city.

I resume my vase organizing as she practically hisses into the phone. "Sammy, get over here quick!"

I can hear confused chatter on the other end before Roselyn cuts her off. "Cleo has something exciting to tell you."

"She really doesn't have to come all the way over just to—"

"Shh," my boss waves a hand in my direction, cutting her eyes at me before wandering down the aisle to the checkout desk.

***

Twenty minutes later, an exhausted-looking Samantha Thompson is dragging herself through the front door of Crafty Corner in the baggiest sweatshirt known to man and bright red capri leggings that look like something the Kool-Aid man took a dump on.

Sandy brown hair's been tossed up into a bun that sits at the crown of her head as she wipes sleep from her eyes. "Hey, Cleo," she greets after a yawn before leaning forward to give me a weak hug. "I heard you have news for me."

I shake my head, hip propping against the checkout counter. "Your grandma's so dramatic."

"Ah, don't I know that well enough." She laughs. "She woke me up from a nap screaming about how I don't come see her enough. I literally work here."

Our complaints are cut short by Roselyn herself, bustling toward us with a tray full of Biscottis and lemonade. "Enough of your yapping, Samantha. Be quiet so you can hear your friend."

Her granddaughter's face wrinkles as she drops her elbows onto the counter, gesturing for me to speak. "Go on, friend."

"Can I get a drumroll please?"

Sammy's lips twitch as she straightens to drum her palms against the counter in anticipation.

I wait for a suitable amount of time to pass before making my announcement. "I got into the Fish Tank workshop!"

Her mouth pops open for a second before she lunges herself at me. "No frickin' way, for real?"

I have too many huggers in my life, damn.

"Unless this is some huge elaborate prank by the company, then yeah."

"I'm so proud of you, Cleo. Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"Isn't in person more special?"

She ignores the question, pulling back with wide eyes. "When is it?"

"In about a month. It's gonna be three weeks, so I'll need someone to cover my shifts."

"Psh, don't worry about your shifts. Sammy would be happy to pick them up for you."

"Grammy, you know I have class."

"You're a freshman in college. How bad at time management can you be?"

Sammy frowns at the woman before crossing her arms. "Yeah, you're gonna have to find someone else. I can only do weekends," then as if having an epiphany, she snaps. "You know, since no one's ever here, you can probably cover everything yourself."

Roselyn holds out a finger. "That's not true. Just the other day, this handsome young man stopped by."

"Yeah, to complain." I pitch in.

"What, I missed a hottie? Are you serious?"

"Not a hottie. A not-hottie. A nottie," I clarify for Sammy.

"She's lying," Roselyn argues, shooting me a look.

"When your grandma says someone's attractive, are you really going to believe her? She was around when Elvis was the prime."

Sammy turns her head to laugh. "You know, you may have a point, Cleo."

"Yeah, when do I not."

I receive another flick for that comment, and this time I'm the one shooting Roselyn a look.

"I'm just saying. He came all the way back here just to complain about you. Maybe he thought you would be here."

"What, so he could verbally abuse me some more?"

"Verbally abuse—What did he say?" Sammy asks lowly, rolling up her sleeves. "I'll kick his sorry ass to Mars."

"No need. I'll be across the country in a month, and by the time I get back, he'll only be a distant memory."

My closest friend's brows knit together as she munches on a Biscotti cookie before lowering back down to her elbows and muttering under her breath, "I'll still kick his ass if he comes by."

"If he shows up again while I'm not here, just call me." I take a long sip of lemonade, savoring the sugary sweetness as it slips past my lips. "I'll chew him out so bad, he'll be wishing we never even met."

***
I need a Roselynnnnnnn.

guys I'm v excited for next chapter...

Q: Who's your favorite character so far?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.7K 426 40
• 𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐛𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐤 𝐢𝐭 • -ROMANCE X THRILLER X CRIME X FANTASY- When Jayce Brooks begins a game of wit and cunningness b...
154K 3.7K 61
*COMPLETED* BOOK TWO OF THE FORESKELT SERIES (Trilogy One) Blake Langford has both the looks and the brains, but she also has an attitude that can...
6 2 6
When Senior year has finally come for Vincenzo Shelby at Shelby High, all he wants is a relaxing two semesters before university. He has nothing to w...
888K 20.7K 63
[editing...] A story about two confusing people who have no idea of what they're doing. Ellie Mae Miller enters her senior year in hopes of starting...