An Unexpected Love

By nmmorton

*Highest Rank #1 in Historical Fiction* Shy and awkward Elizabeth Montgomery doesn't think she'll ever find l... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54

Chapter 49

15.2K 694 61
By nmmorton

The next morning during breakfast, Elizabeth's father requested that the three young people meet him in the parlor after the meal was concluded. Wondering what could prompt such a request, Elizabeth took Edward's arm as they walked toward the parlor, with Amelia trailing behind them.

The night before, after Edward had rejoined them and dinner had been served, the four of them had talked late into the evening, Edward describing the judicial process concerning his father and the details of his sentencing. Elizabeth was relieved to know that while justice had been served, Edward didn't have to lose his father altogether.

Her own father had remained somewhat reserved on the matter, in Edward's presence anyhow; she had tried in vain to read his countenance as Edward recounted the grim details. Elizabeth had a slight intimation that Papa had been taking great care not to allude to any of his own feelings of satisfaction regarding Mr. Stanton's sentencing for Edward's sake, and she loved him dearly for it.

As they each took seats in the parlor to wait for Papa, Elizabeth asked, "Amelia, have you any idea what Papa could have to say to us?"

Amelia's eyes met her gaze, before quickly darting away. She shrugged, which was very unbecoming of her, "How should I know? Honestly, Lizzie, I don't know why you ask such a thing when we're all about to find out the answer." Her foot tapped with nervous energy against the wooden floor.

Elizabeth raised an eyebrow in response and glanced at Edward. He returned a look of confusion and gave a nearly imperceptible shrug.

It had not escaped Elizabeth's attention that Amelia had been acting rather strangely. She was not typically so ill-mannered; Elizabeth could understand her excitement as of late over the wedding plans, however, her sister was slightly more flighty than normal; it seemed as though she was struggling to conceal something.

Amelia spoke again, babbling, "Don't forget, the two of you need to decide on a wedding date, the sooner, the better; there's so little time for the preparations as it is...as a matter of fact, the two of you ought to decide today, by luncheon, if possible. Any more procrastination and I'll set the date myself."

Edward simply stared at Amelia, and Elizabeth's mouth hung slightly ajar as she contemplated an answer; thankfully Amelia's little outburst was interrupted by the entrance of their father.

As Papa lowered himself into a parlor chair, Elizabeth noticed that Amelia began to squirm in her seat. Narrowing her eyes at the peculiar behavior, Elizabeth decided that her sister definitely knew something about this meeting.

"Papa," Elizabeth turned toward her father, "what is this all about? Is everything alright?"

Her father's brow creased before a knowing smile settled on his lips, "Oh, yes, of course, don't worry my dear, it's nothing...nothing like that."

Elizabeth released a shallow breath and visibly relaxed as she cut her eyes over to where her sister sat, "I was beginning to wonder..."

Papa gave her a look of concern, "I'm sorry to have upset you, Lizzie, trust me, it was not my intention..."

"Oh, for goodness sake, just tell her already!" Amelia blurted out.

Three sets of eyes turned toward the younger Montgomery sister; two with looks of surprise, and one with disdain.

Amelia composed herself under her father's glare, shrinking back slightly. "Oh, Papa, please forgive my outburst," she began apologetically, "but for the life of me, I can barely stand to wait a minute longer!"

Elizabeth looked at both her sister and father with bewilderment. "Will someone please tell me what in the world is going on?" She stole a glance at Edward on the settee beside her; he seemed to be taking in the scene with curious amusement.

Papa scooted forward in his chair. "Alright... Elizabeth, Edward, the news which I have to share with the two of you is that we have arranged, that is, Amelia, Charlotte, and I have..."

"We're having a ball to celebrate your engagement!" Amelia burst out again, clapping her hands before her chest in exhilaration.

"Amelia, honestly," Papa scowled. His reprimand was lost amidst the excited gasps and squeals as Amelia jumped up from her seat and grabbed her rather shocked sister, embracing her tightly.

"Oh, my! Papa, you're hosting a ball, just for us?" Elizabeth exclaimed, a blush spreading on her smiling cheeks. Even though she had rarely enjoyed such parties in the past, she was sure this one would be different; besides that, Elizabeth hadn't had the opportunity to dance with Edward as of yet, and she simply couldn't deny that it was an attractive idea. She turned and took her father's hand, gently tugging him from his chair, embracing him tenderly. "Thank you, Papa. It is such a blessing, and more than I could have asked for."

Edward rose from the settee, advancing to shake her father's hand. "Yes, many thanks, Mr. Montgomery," he glanced at Elizabeth, smiling, "it will be a truly felicitous occasion."

"Yes, well, you may thank Charlotte and Amelia for all the planning and arrangements," he smiled at his younger daughter, who beamed brightly.

Elizabeth laughed, "Yes, of course, that explains why Amelia was somewhat disagreeable earlier - she was simply simmering with nervous excitement which she also had to conceal for far too long; it was no menial task, especially for one as outgoing as she!" Elizabeth grinned at her sister.

Amelia pressed a hand to her cheek, "Oh, Lizzie, you have no idea how difficult it has been for me these past weeks; I have wanted to tell you an hundred times over! Aunt Charlotte will be relieved to know I didn't ruin the surprise," she glanced at her father, who narrowed his eyes at her, "I didn't really, Papa, you just took too long to say it! Aunt Charlotte warned me quite severely to hold my tongue before she left..."

"Oh, Aunt Charlotte...no wonder she promised to return so soon. And when is this lovely ball to take place?" Elizabeth asked.

"One week hence," Papa answered.

"One week?" Elizabeth nearly shrieked.

Papa flinched in surprise; Edward looked on in confusion.

Elizabeth sucked in a gulp of air. One cannot prepare for a ball in merely a week...

Amelia moved toward her sister, "It's quite alright, Lizzie. Aunt Charlotte and I have made the necessary arrangements - your gown is already being made; we are to go to Richmond today for the final fitting. I do hope you like it, I picked the style myself, from the fashion plates I showed you before," she grinned, squeezing Elizabeth's arm. "Don't distress, Lizzie. We've taken care with everything, I promise. You need only to enjoy the party."

Elizabeth relaxed a little, nodding, and Amelia added, "Aunt Charlotte has been off doing all the ordering and such. She knew you might suspect something was amiss if I went with her, leaving you here, so I helped her plan before hand, and she went to handle everything. She will meet us at the dressmaker's shop today and return here with us." Smiling excitedly at Elizabeth, she beckoned, "Come, we must leave quickly if we are to make it within a decent hour!"

Elizabeth paused as she took in her sister's words. As exciting as all this news was, she was hesitant to leave Edward when it seemed he had only just arrived. She had hoped to take a long stroll with him in the garden today, discussing their wedding and subsequent plans. But alas, it would have to wait.

Turning to take Edward's hand in hers, she fixed him with a look of longing. His eyes seemed to interpret her emotions; lifting her hand to his lips, he murmured, "All is well, my darling, you must go; this time I shall anxiously await your return."

---------------------------------

Before Elizabeth even realized what was happening, they were off in the carriage, heading toward Richmond. Thomas was accompanying them, he rode up front with the footman; and a wagon pulled by two bay mares followed along behind them, apparently there was a good deal more to pick up in the city than just Aunt Charlotte, and Thomas was in charge of gathering up the supplies.

Elizabeth leaned back into the seat of the carriage and sighed contentedly. A feeling of excitement and pride welled up inside her, and she was not a little taken by surprise to find that finally, she was anticipating, instead of dreading, a social event.

A ball...there is to a ball at Montgomery Plantation honoring my engagement! For once in my life, I will be an object of adoration, instead of a non-descript form merely blending into the background. I will have no trouble obtaining partners to dance with at this ball!

Knowing that typically all of the attention defaulted to the honoree of a ball, as well as to the most attractive and/or wealthiest young ladies, Elizabeth felt that for once, she could compete, having sealed the top position, so to speak, by the fact that her father and aunt were hosting the party. Of course, she had no need to compete for the attentions of eligible bachelors; only, it would be a new thing for her altogether to be noticed and sought after.

Eyeing her sister, Elizabeth asked, "How is it that you and Aunt Charlotte managed to plan an entire ball without me knowing it?"

Amelia's green eyes twinkled as she turned her lips up into a smile, "The planning was exhaustive, especially in such short time; but keeping it hidden from you, was easy."

Elizabeth's brow creased, "How so? Do you mean to say that I'm not very observant?"

Amelia laughed, "I mean to say that you were yearning so for Edward, it wasn't all that difficult. One particular time, we managed to discuss the entire menu for the evening while in the same room with you! But mostly, we would simply wait for you to duck your head into a book, or take a long stroll through the garden, and then we knew you'd not be about for hours."

Elizabeth said nothing in return, turning to gaze out of the window; it was true, her thoughts had been on little else but Edward and his situation while he was away. She had been unprepared for how strong of an attachment they had formed to each other, and in so short a time; it had become rather painfully obvious during his absence.

As the green scenery rolled by the carriage window, Elizabeth realized quite suddenly that she and Edward had not set a date for the wedding, like they had planned to this morning.

"Amelia," she said, "you dragged me away before Edward and I could agree on a wedding date."

Amelia fixed a ridiculous look on her sister, "Oh, Lizzie, I was only joking about that earlier... Besides, you can pick the date yourself if you prefer, dear Edward will go along with whatever you decide, you know," she grinned mischievously, "Do you have a particular date in mind?"

Elizabeth nodded, "I was going to suggest October the twenty-fourth."

"Then October the twenty-fourth it is! Dear Edward will find that satisfactory, I'm sure."

Elizabeth cocked an eyebrow at her sister. "What makes you so sure that he will just readily agree to that date?"

Amelia donned a serious look, "Really, Lizzie, what reason has he to object? The man is so completely in love with you, he'd marry you tomorrow if you suggested it. I assure you, I saw the look of undying devotion in his eyes when his gaze fell upon you at his arrival yesterday..."

Elizabeth felt the heat rise in her cheeks, "Alright Amelia, you've made your point, then." She turned her gaze yet again to the window; Elizabeth didn't want her sister to see that the thought of Edward's penetrating gaze caused a ridiculous grin to grow on her face and a nervous fluttering in her stomach.

Elizabeth breathed deeply, fighting to slow her pounding heart; she decided a change in subject might help. "Amelia, won't you tell me more of my dress for the ball?"

This subject immediately piqued her sister's attention, and she began animatedly, "Oh Lizzie, I simply cannot wait for you to see it..."

And so the conversation continued; the two managed to cover the various aspects of dress, décor, and even the guest list for the wedding. The carriage had pulled to a stop in front of the dressmaker's shop before Elizabeth had even realized how much time had passed. As Thomas helped the two girls down from the carriage, Aunt Charlotte emerged from the doorway of the shop, happy to greet them.

"Aunt Charlotte!" Elizabeth addressed her aunt cheerfully, rushing forward to embrace her, "I cannot thank you enough for all that you've done."

Aunt Charlotte hugged Elizabeth close, "I see that they've enlightened you about our endeavor," she pulled back, placing a hand to Elizabeth's cheek, "My dear Elizabeth, you must be well, you're positively glowing! I've missed you both so," she confessed, pulling Amelia into an embrace. "Come, come," she ushered the girls into the shop, "we can talk later during the ride home; now we must fit these dresses, as well as begin on your wedding dress, Elizabeth."

At her aunt's words, the reality of what the next few months would hold began to sink in to Elizabeth's mind.

My wedding dress... My wedding dress! Lord, how is it that I trusted You so little that I didn't believe You could ever bring this event to fruition?

Amelia roused Elizabeth from her thoughts, pulling on her arm. "Lizzie, come, look; Mrs. Patterson has laid out your ball gown."

Elizabeth stepped forward, her eyes taking in a stunning dress of pale lilac taffeta, the bustle draped in white tulle, which also wrapped around the skirt, forming intricate layers. The bodice scooped modestly across the chest and back, trimmed in white lace; the dainty tulle sleeves rode low on the shoulders, trimmed in white silk rosebuds.

"Oh, my," she gasped, "Amelia, did you pick this out?"

"Yes," Amelia fidgeted nervously, "What do you think...? Lizzie, I know it's not the sort you would typically wear, but...please at least try it on..."

"Amelia, it is simply amazing, quite possibly the most beautiful gown I've ever seen. I can't wait to try it on," Elizabeth gently fingered the delicate folds of the fabric.

"Come, Lizzie, let us get you fitted, then!" Aunt Charlotte pulled her toward the dressing area, as Mrs. Patterson, the seamstress and creator of the gorgeous gown, gathered the dress into her arms and followed.

After several minutes of tugging, cinching, and arranging, Elizabeth looked down into a sea of lilac and white as Aunt Charlotte positioned her in front of the cheval glass. Elizabeth stared at her reflection, barely recognizing the woman looking back at her. When had she become so...sophisticated? Where was the awkward girl she used to know?

"Simply stunning," Aunt Charlotte murmured.

Amelia's voice was full of awe when she spoke, "How completely beautiful you are, Lizzie! I must say I fear for poor dear Edward's heart when he sees you in this dress! I know how much you love purple, so I chose the lilac... And it is so very becoming of your hair color and complexion."

"I... I positively adore it," Elizabeth finally tore her gaze from the looking glass, turning to her sister.

Amelia smiled at her, looking quite satisfied with herself. "I just knew you would, once you saw how it looked on you."

Elizabeth then thought of the seamstress, and turned to address her, "Mrs. Patterson, what a work of art you have created! Thank you."

She waved a hand in the air, "Oh, my dear, it is what I do. Look here," she said; directing Elizabeth to a table spread with papers, "I have laid out pages of the latest wedding toilettes for you to choose from. If you don't fancy any of them, we can come up with a design, I'm sure."

Elizabeth glanced at them, but she had already made her decision. "I want it to look similar to this gown, with a few modifications," she looked down at the dress she wore as she spoke, running her hands lightly over the delicate folds of the skirt.

Mrs. Patterson nodded, "Just let me find my paper and pencil, and I'll note the modifications you want." She moved away to locate the items.

"How splendid! You will be such a lovely bride, Elizabeth," Aunt Charlotte smiled with the shimmer of a tear in her eye, and ran her hand down Elizabeth's arm.

Elizabeth smiled back at her beloved aunt. "Thank you, Aunt Charlotte, for being here for me, as my mother would have..." Elizabeth's voice failed.

"Oh, Lizzie... My dear, there is no place else I could be at this moment, nor would I," Aunt Charlotte reached out and smoothed a stray tendril of hair out of Elizabeth's face.

Elizabeth turned back to the cheval glass for another glimpse of her form; forcing back the tears she felt burning in her eyes. She determined that this would be a happy day; her mother would have wanted it that way.

Amelia wrapped an arm around her, squeezing slightly, "A fabulous choice, I must say, dear sister."

Elizabeth met her sister's gaze in the looking glass, "All of this was of your doing, Amelia; I am indebted to you."

Amelia grinned mischievously, "Well, there is one way you may repay me, then..."

"Yes? Anything you wish is yours."

Amelia leaned in, whispering in her sister's ear, "You must tell me what our dear Edward has to say when he sees you in this dress, and don't you dare to leave out a single word."

------------

Hello dear readers!

I appreciate the patience in waiting for this update...it pains me that it is late, but alas, it was unavoidable. :(

Hopefully the fact that it's one of my longer chapters helps! I hope you all enjoy!! :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

209 25 29
Elizabeth watched as her sisters were hung during the Salem Witch Trials. Not only did she lose her sisters, but the man that had promised to love a...
98K 4.1K 15
He saved her from drowning... Who will save her from him... Matthew Weldrick must marry and produce an heir. Giving up being a rake will be...
77.6K 4.9K 47
07.14.2022- #1 in 1800s 10.05.2020 - #1 in 1800s 12.12.2020 -#1 in blackandwhite 12.29.2020-#1 bwwm 01.05.2021-#1 blackwoman Set in the 1800s, this s...
40K 2K 36
Grace, the illegitimate daughter of Edward IV, finds her life turned upside down when he dies and her family flees into sanctuary when her uncle take...