Book 2: The Victors

By city-line

❖ Book 2 of 3 ❖ 【 Slow burn fanfic 】 ║ Catching Fire Reimagined║ It's the year of the 75th Annual Hunger Game... More

000
001
002
003
004
005
006
007
008
009
010
011
012
014
015
016
017
018
019
020
Sequel

013

1.7K 50 12
By city-line

✦ Chapter 13: The Rebels ✦

SHE OPENS HER green eyes to see a familiar, bright white room. It's the same room she had woken up in two years ago. Again, she's strapped down and wires connect her to several machines, as well as pumping liquid into her veins. Isla doesn't struggle, just looks around, hoping to see a sign of Finnick.

Nothing. None of the others are in the room with her. All she can see is plain white walls and beeping machines. The door to her room is closed, and the window has a fog over it to keep her from seeing through it. She's completely alone, and that terrifies her.

On the upside, Isla is alive. Although, that may also be a downside, because she isn't sure what they'll decide to do next. There had been about seven of them remaining, if she remembered correctly, when the arena began to collapse. That means that the Capitol has to dispose of six of them. How, Isla couldn't be sure. Maybe they'll throw them into a smaller arena? She almost hopes for that scenario, because at least she'll be able to protect Finnick.

If the Capitol decides to dispose of them secretly, there won't be any way for Isla to save Finnick. There won't be any way for them to have a say in which victor gets to live. And that is what terrifies Isla. The unknown, the inability to do anything. She can't go through with her plan unless they're in an arena.

There's footsteps, and her door is opened. It's the last person Isla expects to see. She assumed President Snow would address the public, but keep the victors in the dark. Not visit them in their hospital beds. And certainly not Isla, she has to be one of his least favourites by now.

"Hello, Ms. Dunne." His deep voice sends a creeping chill up her spine. He has a smile on his face as he sits down.

"Hi." She responds quietly. She isn't sure what to say or do. She had expected nurses to come in and check on her in silence. For no one to come and answer her questions.

The President sits in a chair at her bedside, folding his hands in his lap. "So, as you may have realized, the games have ended prematurely for the second year in a row now." Isla nods, that was rather evident. The lightning had malfunctioned somehow. "Katniss Everdeen shot an arrow at the force field, destroying it."

Isla opens her mouth to say something, but then closes it. Had she done that? Was that what the odd line of light had been? "Why?" She finally asks, a bit confused at the logistics of it all.

"To fuel the rebellion, to escape the games for a second time." Snow answers pointedly. "As her ally, I assumed you would've been aware of her plan?"

Isla immediately furrows her brows and shakes her head. "I was only with her for Finnick. You of all people know I wanted nothing more than to kill her. I thought I left her for dead."

He seems entertained by her words, the corners of his lips upturning once more. "I suppose you're right."

"Where is Finnick? Johanna?" Isla asks. She knows it's a long shot to expect him to tell her anything, but she has to try.

"Johanna is two rooms over. Finnick is with Katniss. He was in on her plan, they were taken from the arena by the rebels." She's stunned at his words. Not only because of what they imply, but at the simple fact he was telling her all of this.

She takes a moment to process the information. "He knew?" Isla asks, feeling dread fill every inch of her chest. "He knew and he left?"

Snow reaches a hand out to her, placing it lightly on top of her strapped down one. He pats it a few times. "I'm afraid so."

"So what now? Who wins? Where did they go?" She has so many questions, but President Snow stands now.

"I'm also afraid I can't give you all of the answers you want. I've said enough for now." He looks down at her with his cold blue eyes. "I hope you're telling the truth, Ms. Dunne. Because I don't like liars. And if you've lied to me, you'll be dearly sorry."

And with that, he leaves the room. Isla stares after him, still mentally processing the events that he claims happened. Finnick and Katniss, likely even Beetee, had planned to blow up the arena and escape with the help of the rebels. They left Isla and Johanna. Even Peeta had been left behind, as he'd been picked up by the same hovercraft as the two girls. So clearly, Peeta had been oblivious to the plan, or he would have stuck by the others.

Why would Katniss leave Peeta out of it? Isla had begun to believe their love was real. Apparently, he had been sacrificed for this plan. And Isla and Johanna had been left out, too, because neither had known anything about the plan. Because if Johanna knew, she would've stayed with the others... right?

But then Isla remembers Johanna's words when Katniss had gotten defensive over Wiress, "I got them out for you!" At the time, Isla hadn't understood what that meant. But clearly, Johanna had been trying to get Beetee to Katniss, for the tree operation. So Johanna did know? So maybe Peeta did, too. But why did they both leave and get on the wrong hovercraft?

Isla's head hurts as she tries to figure out the mess. However, one thing is clear. Isla was left in the dark about it all, and now, she's in the Capitol. And she has to convince them that she had nothing to do with any of it, or they'll kill her. Or worse.

After some time, nurses come to check on her. Everything seems to be fine, as peacekeepers soon join them and replace her straps with handcuffs. Isla is escorted down the white hallways, and at one point, she thinks she can hear Johanna's bratty tone. But it's gone as fast as it had come.

They board an elevator, and one of the many peacekeepers presses a button for the fourth floor. They're in the tribute centre. As the elevator ascends, Isla can tell that she was deep underground. Sunlight bursts through the windows as they hit ground level. She wants to cover her eyes, but she can't lift her arms to her face.

She doesn't bother to ask any questions as she's nudged out of the elevator on her floor. She knows they won't say anything. So, she goes along, being put in her room with the door closed behind her and she can hear as it's locked from the outside. Isla sits on her bed, still handcuffed and only covered by a thin, blue hospital gown.

The door clicks and opens again about fifteen minutes later, revealing an odd man wearing a ruby velvet suit. His hair is white, slicked back neatly. He looks odd, as even his eyebrows are silvery white. However, gold tattoos pop against his ebony skin. She doesn't say anything, just sits quietly and stares at him as he stares at her.

"I'm going to uncuff you, so I ask that you don't kill me." Isla nods her head in agreement, and he approaches. She sits still as he inserts a key, and then the straps are relieved from her wrists.

Isla still doesn't say anything, unsure what the man's purpose is. She finds him familiar, but she can't put a finger on where she's seen him before. Definitely in the Capitol, during last year's game prep. But she isn't sure who he works for or what he does.

"You can change into something more comfortable, I'll be in the sitting area." He awkwardly nods, then turns and exits the room.

Isla wishes it had been Fleur or Lucius who had opened the door to unchain her. However, she has an awful gut feeling that the two are likely being questioned. Lucius' connection with Cinna, working with him on designs, likely has him on the bad end of the entire fiasco. Fleur, being their escort, is also likely seen to be an accomplice. Finnick had condemned them all. And just left, not thinking twice about what that meant for the rest of them.

She changes into a silky robe, and goes out to the sitting area to see the man on the couch. Tea and some food is set out on the coffee table in front of him. Her stomach growls at the sight of it, and she sits across from him, trying her best not to indulge immediately. She isn't sure what she's allowed to do, and doesn't want to risk it.

"My name is Orion. I'll be your escort, of sorts."

"Fleur's replacement." Isla says flatly. The man looks unsure of how to respond, but attempts to brush off her comment.

"You and Enobaria, out of the others that were brought back to the Capitol, are the only two that seem to have been uninvolved with the events in the Quarter Quell. Therefore, the two of you are going to be staying on your respective floors until everything is... sorted out." Orion explains. It's clear he was told exactly what to tell her, as his words are heavily scripted. He's being sure not to say one thing differently than he had been told.

"What's being done with Johanna? Peeta?" She asks, staring him down.

"They're being questioned, to gain more information on what's going on." Isla knows this means tortured. At least for Johanna. She won't give them any information, she hates them. Peeta, on the other hand, may be more heavily persuaded considering he's separated from his only source of emotional strength. Katniss. He'll be vulnerable. Loving people makes you vulnerable.

"I see." Isla responds, examining the table of food.

"You can eat." Orion says, motioning to the available finger sandwiches, pastries, and sweets.

Isla helps herself. The man watches, sitting oddly too straight. He's a Capitol citizen through and through, it's clear by his mannerisms. It makes her dislike him. Fleur had been the same, but she had been welcoming and personable from the beginning. This man seems like a robot.

"So," Isla says, wiping her mouth with a napkin. "I just stay here until what, exactly?" 

"Until all matters are sorted regarding the other victors and the rebels." Orion responds almost immediately.

"So I get to sit here for weeks, maybe even months or years, until all the others are dead. And it's just me and Enobaria left, because Johanna and Peeta are definitely not making it out of this alive." 

"Well-" Orion starts, clearly unsure what to say. They hadn't trained him on what to say to this.

"Well, what? I'm being kept prisoner in here for something I had nothing to do with? That's ridiculous!" Isla isn't sure why she's so mad. Or why she's taking it out on a man she doesn't even know. Probably because she was abandoned by Finnick.

"I know it isn't ideal, but I promise, here is a lot better than anywhere else. Even District Four." Orion tries to assure her. He holds his hands out, as if to try to calm her.

"What's happening in District Four?" Isla asks. 

"I don't think... I'm not sure I'm supposed to tell you." He admits, avoiding her gaze.

"Well, you can't just not tell me now. That's my home." Isla looks at him with disbelief. But Orion just stares at the kettle of tea. 

He's silent for a few moments before he looks around anxiously and answers. "The rebels went there, after the arena. Then left for District Thirteen."

"That's not possible." Isla chuckles out of pure disbelief. "There is no District Thirteen. It was bombed, like, seventy five years ago."

"The surface, yes. They've been operating underground since then. They had leverage with ammunition made for the Capitol, so an agreement was made." Orion explains. "There is no District Twelve, now, though. That was bombed shortly after the arena was destroyed."

"District Twelve is gone?" Isla thinks of all of the people they interviewed for Katniss and Peeta last year. The young girl, the handsome brown haired guy they called Katniss' cousin, Peeta's two blonde brothers. All dead.

"Yes, and since the rebels stopped in District Four, it's under strict lockdown."

"What did they stop for?" Isla asks, trying to think how fishing equipment can possibly help them underground.

"They picked up a victor by the name of Annie Cresta." Isla feels her stomach drop. Of course, she was left behind, but Annie was rescued. 

"Did they not take Mags, too?" Isla asks, remembering the elderly woman who had been like a motherly figure to her and Finnick.

"Mags Flanagan passed away on the second day of the Quarter Quell due to a second stroke." Orion says it so factually, Isla has to take a moment to process his words.

"Oh..." Is all she can say. She had already prepared to never see the woman again, but under different circumstances. Her heart clenches, and she fights back tears.

They sit in silence for a bit. Isla has lost her appetite, and slowly sips her tea. "She had a wonderful funeral, I heard. It was aired on Capitol television."

"That's nice." Isla isn't concerned with how her funeral went. She's more concerned about the fact that of all the people that deserved to be saved, it was Mags, and she didn't even get the chance.

"Do you have any other questions? I can pass on your concerns to those in charge." Orion smiles now, it's probably the first time Isla's seen him do so. She shakes her head, leaning back on the couch.

There isn't much she can do now. This has become something much bigger than the games. She's being put on the sidelines for now, until she can be used for the Capitol's benefit. Once the rebels are dealt with, she'll likely be one of the only remaining victors. They'll need her to mentor, and continue advertising the luxurious lifestyle.

Finnick will be killed. He left Isla and now she can't do anything to protect him. She can't try and make him look innocent, either. The gold bangle he wore in the arena to befriend Katniss is an obvious sign of him choosing a side. At least he rescued Annie, and they can have their moment in District Thirteen before they're all hunted and killed by President Snow. Meanwhile, Isla will sit, stuck and alone, in the tribute centre. She'll have to watch them all be tortured and killed.

If she could talk to Johanna, or Peeta, she could at least get an idea of what their plan was. Why they were left behind. And how the rebels plan to beat the Capitol, after it ended so badly before. What made this time different? And why did they all get to join, and not Isla? Would Isla have even joined?

She thinks about it for a moment. Orion is awkwardly watching Caesar Flickerman recap the new restrictions in the districts. Production is to be increased in all of them. Likely in preparation for a shortage if the districts start to rebel. If Isla had been home, and District Four rebelled, she would have participated. Would she have followed Katniss' lead, though? Unlikely. Isla had only been nice to her because she planned to kill her eventually. Maybe that's why she was left behind, Isla couldn't be trusted with the face of the rebellion.

"You're a lot more quiet than I thought you would be. I heard Enobaria is a bit agitated by recent events, and being held here instead of being allowed to go home." Orion looks at her expectantly. 

"I was purposely left in the dark by people I thought were my friends. And abandoned by them. They didn't know what you guys would do to me when that Capitol hovercraft picked me up, instead of their hovercraft, but clearly that didn't matter to them. They left me for dead, as far as they were concerned." Isla's words are filled with spite, she feels the anger boiling inside of her. She feels a familiar resentment towards Finnick that she hasn't felt in a long time.

"I was rather surprised, too. You and Finnick seemed very close, there were rumours the two of you may have been together." Orion finally relaxes in the chair, teacup in hand.

Isla grunts in disapproval. "I was trying to keep him alive, so he could win. He might've acted like there was something there, maybe even thought it, but who did he pick up? Not me." 

Orion nods, a look of sympathy painted across his eccentric features. "Yes, you are right. But, maybe they thought it was better for you to be here than with them." His words are cryptic, and it's the first time Isla notices how odd he speaks. It reminds him of someone else. His features, even. His accent isn't like that of the Capitol people, like Fleur or Lucius. No, he speaks like Cinna. Like he's from one of the districts.

"Why would I be better off here? So I don't die when their plan goes badly?" Isla scoffs, pushing away her previous thoughts. No matter how odd he is, he's still here to keep her confined on the fourth floor, and is working for Snow.

"Think more about how you have nothing to do with their plan, and therefore, you aren't locked in a cell several floors below us." He says, looking at her over his cup of tea.

"They left me out so that if I was taken back to the Capitol, I'd be fine?" 

"It seems that way." He says, slurping his drink. Orion awkwardly shoves his hand under his thigh now, a small clip that's attached to the cuff of his sleeve is buried under him.

"Why not just take me with them, though? Leave me in the dark, but then pick me up?" Isla asks, furrowing her brows. It still didn't explain why there hadn't been an effort made to save her. Or even Johanna and Peeta.

Orion thinks for a moment, "The way I see it, is there was only one hovercraft with Plutarch on it." Isla remembers the name, he was the head gamemaker for the Quarter Quell. He must've been the inside man for the rebels. "They couldn't just send one hovercraft to extract you all, because the arena was collapsing in on itself. They needed to act with haste. So, some of you were bound to be picked up and brought back here, no matter how good the plan was." The way Orion speaks makes it seems as though he's very informed on the topic. Isla finds it odd, too, that he's sharing all of these thoughts with her. Especially after purposely muting the mic attached to his suit.

"So, they knew some of us would be brought back here."

"Precisely, and of course, Katniss was the main target for extraction. Finnick and Beetee were with her at the tree, so they were also extracted. But, I believe you had purposely been left in the dark and separated, in the hopes that you would be on the Capitol hovercraft." Orion speaks as if he's trying to explain something to her, although not with the words he speaks, but with the meaning behind them.

"I'm supposed to be here, not down there." Isla realizes, referring to Peeta and Johanna, chained up in the basement of the tribute centre. Isla realizes that she's meant to be on the Capitol's good side, despite her obvious loyalty to Finnick and the cause in Thirteen.

She had been abandoned on purpose, but not left for dead. She had been left behind in hopes of them having a victor in the Capitol, on their side, but not held captive. Someone on the inside, like Plutarch had been. He had obviously run off to District Thirteen when they picked up Katniss and Finnick. Now, they're inner system of rebels is gone, and they need a new one.

It's at this moment that Isla takes note of something she had just played off as Capitol couture before. Orion's golden tattoos upon his dark skin, the same colour as Finnick's bracelet. And the way that their pattern so heavily resembles that of the flame-like bangle he had worn into the arena. A token of the rebellion, and Orion wears it right on his skin.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.6K 797 25
Two district 4 citizens trying to survive in Panem as victors with an unspoken love dwindling between them. She tries her best to not let her love fo...
519 5 14
What if Peeta & Katniss were together a year before the 74th hunger games? How will the Hunger Games affect their relationship? Katniss POV
717K 25.3K 68
The life of a victor isn't always great. Amelia Sawyer knew that all too well. After winning the 67th Hunger Games, she found herself back in Distric...
64.2K 1K 16
Katniss Everdeen has won the 74th annual Hunger Games, but now she has to go back for the 75th's Quarter Quell, in which she will be up against previ...