~Memories from the Beginning~

By The_Zipper

[Being Edited] A suicidal maniac, number 94194, one of the most intelligent kids of Grace Field House, Plant... More

Info
♟Chapter 1♟
♟Chapter 2♟
♟Chapter 3♟
♟Chapter 4♟
♟Chapter 5♟
♟Chapter 6♟
♟Chapter 7♟
♟Chapter 8♟
♟Chapter 9♟
♟Chapter 10♟
♟Chapter 11♟
♟Chapter 12♟
♟Chapter 13♟
🎯Chapter 14🎯
🎯Chapter 15🎯
🎯Chapter 16🎯
🎯Chapter 17🎯
🎯Chapter 18🎯
🎯Chapter 19🎯
🎯Chapter 20🎯
🎯Chapter 22🎯
🎯Chapter 23🎯
🎯Chapter 24🎯
🎯Chapter 25🎯
🎯Chapter 26🎯
🎯Chapter 27🎯
🎯Chapter 28🎯
🎯Chapter 29🎯
🎯Chapter 30🎯
🎯Chapter 31🎯
🎯Chapter 32🎯
Special Chapter
🎯Chapter 33 🎯
🎯Chapter 34🎯
🎯Chapter 35🎯
🎯Chapter 36🎯
🎯Chapter 37🎯
🎯Chapter 38🎯
🎯Chapter 39🎯
🎯Chapter 40 🎯
🧩Chapter 41🧩
🧩Chapter 42🧩
🧩Chapter 43🧩
🧩Chapter 44🧩
🧩Chapter 45🧩
🧩Chapter 46🧩
🧩Chapter 47🧩
🧩Chapter 48🧩
🧩Chapter 49🧩
🧩Chapter 50🧩
🧩Chapter 51🧩
🩸Chapter 52🩸
🩸Chapter 53🩸
🩸Chapter 54🩸
🩸Chapter 55🩸
🩸Chapter 56🩸
🩸Chapter 57🩸
🩸Chapter 58🩸
🩸Chapter 59🩸
Updated Info
🩸Chapter 60🩸
🩸Chapter 61🩸
🩸Chapter 62🩸
🩸Chapter 63🩸
🩸Chapter 64🩸
🩸Chapter 65🩸
🩸Chapter 66🩸
🩸Chapter 67🩸
🩸Chapter 68🩸
❓Chapter 69❓
❓Chapter 70❓
❓Chapter 71❓
❓Chapter 72❓
❓Chapter 73❓
⌛️Chapter 74⌛️
Chapter 75(End)
Hello
Hello (pt. 2)
Extra

🎯Chapter 21🎯

4.3K 213 42
By The_Zipper

"Could you go ahead and explain it to us then...dear demon?" Ray said as he grabbed the confused Emma's wrists.

-----

"Those are demons' feet, right?" Ray asked, motioning down with his hand.

Emma lowered her vision and gasped in surprise at the truth. Instead of shoes or feet you would see on a human, Mujika had sharp claws and an unusual color of skin that didn't match a human's, but a demon's.

'I didn't even notice it...Then again, she feels so human...And her size and shape too...' Emma thought.

She then remembered the girl's words from before.

"Please relax and rest here for the night."

'For the night...So it's already dark? Just how long was I asleep...?'

"Our friends?"

"Right over here. We've just finished setting up dinner."

'Wait a second. Why? Because...They want to eat us? No way...Their 'dinner' they 'set up' can't be-'

Emma's expression morphed to panic as she felt her blood run cold, her body freezing in place.

"Well? Why did you go to all this trouble for mere cattle like us?" Ray asked once more.

Y/n remained quiet. His eyes glanced at Ray before shifting to Mujika, a slight twinkle appearing in his eyes.

"Hey, Mujika. You've gone too far. You always take the wrong approach." A voice approached the group.

"That's why you came to help? But your timing's pretty bad, you know!" The girl, now known as Mujika said with a slightly awkward expression.

The children turned their heads and met face-to-face with the taller demon who leaned to get a better look at them. Not only that, he held a long spear, the blade slightly shining at a certain angle.

"What's the matter with them? These two look awful..." The demon said as he looked at Emma and Ray.

The two only stared at him with slight horror, their bodies super stiff as they trembled in fear. Then, the demon shifted their view from them to Y/n, quickly deducing that the boy was not afraid. He just stood there, a blank expression plastered on his face.

"Why...did you help..." Ray stammered.

Mujika huffed and said, "They're like that because you're hovering over them with that thing, Sonju. The poor things are terrified!"

"Nonsense. What about the little ones over there? Though, sure, I do recommend taking care not to touch it!" Sonju said, referring to his spear as he made sure to keep the blade pointed down.

"Why...are...you demons...hel-"

Emma felt a bubbling anger witching her and she shouted, "Where are the children?!"

Sonju didn't say anything, simply staring at her. Letting out an exhale, Emma ran past him with Ray calling out to her, slightly taken aback by her outburst. Y/n too was surprised.

'Hm. Never thought that I'd see Emma with that expression.' Y/n mused.

"Heh, heh, heh...My bad, kid. About your question, then...Why would we demons save you, eh?" Sonju chuckled, looking at the two remaining kids.

"'Demons'...How nostalgic. Yes, we used to be called that..." He hummed.

-----

Emma continued to run through the cave, mindlessly turning corners. Her heart beat licked up and she felt her breathing grow erratic as her kind seemed to swarm with worry and anticipation.

'No...No! Please, everyone! I'm sorry that I lost it... That I was just sleeping! Please...somehow...Please be safe!'

Emma soon saw a light in the distance and entered a room, alerting the ones in there who slightly flinched from her sudden appearance. It was the kids. Emma's eyes widened and she subconsciously exhaled in relief, seeing they were all alive and well.

"Emma!" The kids cheered, running over and engulfing her in a hug.

"Emma isn't sick anymore! I'm so happy!" One of the kids cries.

"Hey, be careful with her!" Gilda reminded, slightly ushering the kids to give Emma some space.

"Is everyone...fine?" Emma asked, her eyes scanning the room.

"Yup!"

Just then, Mujika entered with the other three, catching Emma's attention as she slightly stared in caution.

"I'm sorry to have scared you so much. We really don't mean to add to your troubles." Mujika apologized.

"I'm Mujika. And this is Sonju. We don't eat humans, so feel free to relax. We don't have any intentions of harming you or your friends." She said with a soft smile.

Y/n finally entered the room, his head turning as he observed his surroundings. Just before he could take a good look at the kids, he was tackled to the ground.

"Y/n!" A group of 4 cried.

It was Nat, Thoma, Lannion, and Ustinez. Each of them sniffled as huge globs of tears streamed down their faces and they tightly held onto the brunette.

Y/n laughed as Ray and Gilda deadpanned at the scene.

Soon enough, everyone calmed themselves and began to gather around in a circle, Mujika stirring a pot as she was kneeled on the ground.

"Here you go." Mujika said as she handed Christie a mug.

"Thank you!" Christie said.

"Ray broke the cup, so this bowl..." One of the kids said, giving Ray a small grin.

"Sonju made it for us!" Another boasted.

"What's the meaning of this? They're acting way too intimate..." Ray said.

He wasn't blind. The children were clearly bonding with Mujika and Sonju, which he found to be surprising considering the circumstances. He was even surprised at the sight of Ustinez who was easily getting along with the others, almost as if they were siblings.

'That means...They've been taking good care of everyone all this time?' Emma thought.

Y/n brought his hand up and slapped Ustinez's back, laughing as the demon yelped in surprise and jumped so high that his head almost bumped the ceiling.

"Wow! It was just like a cat, wasn't it? Don't they jump high too? I read that in a book!" Yvette smiled.

"A cat...?" Ustinez deadpanned, ready to deny her words.

But...the sight of the girl's smile made him take in a sharp breath and he placed his hands on his waist.

"Yes. I-...I jumped like a cat. In fact, I've met some and would imitate their behavior." He spoke with a forced smile.

"Wow!" Yvette said in awe.

"Wow. A cat, huh?" Y/n placed his hand over his mouth, leaning on Ustinez's side.

"Quiet...!" Ustinez hissed, pushing against Y/n's body.

Y/n simply laughed before directing his attention to the food handed to him. Honestly, it smelled good, and it appeared to be safe.

Looking to the side, he took notice of Ray and Emma who looked at the food handed to them, suspicious.

"We ate some earlier today, and so far it seems like it's safe." Gilda said, also noticing their suspicion.

"I think if they'd wanted to do something to us...they would've done it already." She added.

"More importantly, it's thanks to them that you guys are back with us!" Don smiled. "Let's believe in our saviors."

At his words, Emma looked down, a hint of guilt appearing on her face.

'Right...The only reason why we're still here together is...'

Hearing words, Emma looked up to see Mujika and Sonju praying along with the kids, all of their hands clasped as they closed their eyes and slightly tilted their heads down.

"Blessed and pure is this aliment, and blessed are us who now partake of it. With gratitude to all life in Heaven and Earth, we say...Thank you for the meal."

"Thank you for the meal!" The children chorused.

Finishing the prayer, the kids began to eat, savoring the splash of flavor that hit them and enjoying how the warmth lessened the slight coldness they felt.

Emma brought the mug closer to her and said, "Thank you."

Swallowing her first spoon full of soup(?), her eyes slightly winded before she lowered them and wore a guilty-looking expression.

The food was delicious.

Y/n grabbed his bag from Ustinez and began searching through its contents, slightly growing agitated at not seeing what he wanted.

Then, he let out an exhale upon seeing a small container, the cap tightly shut and keeping the liquid in. Y/n took the item out and grabbed his cup of water, grinning as he began to pour the suspicious liquid in.

Beside him, Ustinez stared with a weirded-out expression, watching as the liquid became a suspicious blue color. He nudged Nat who was beside him, responding to the boy's raised brow by gesturing to Y/n. Nat looked over and let out an exasperated sigh, getting up and approaching Y/n who appeared to not have noticed.

"Alright. Goodnight." Y/n muttered, bringing the cup to his lips.

However, before a single drop of liquid could land in his mouth, the cup was snatched from his hands.

"Hey!" He gasped, his head snapping to look at the culprit.

"Y/n. No." Nat deadpanned, raising the liquid in the air as the brunette tightly gripped on his legs, trying to reach without standing.

The ordeal had caught everyone else's attention, the kids all sighing while Mujika and Sonju watched confusedly.

"Please, Nat! If you wanted to join me so badly, you could've asked! I don't mind!" Y/n whined.

"Y/n! Stop with that already!" Gilda scowled.

The girl stood and made her way over to the boys, taking the poisoned drink Nat held out to her and quickly moving to dispose of it. Y/n only watched with a dead expression, his hand falling limp on the ground.

"What? Is he alright? He was about to drink poison, was he not? Did something happen?" Mujika asked, worry laced in her tone as she looked at some of the other kids.

"Don't worry. He's fine. He's always like that." Jemima replied, slightly waving her hand.

This did not calm Mujika as grew even more worried, especially at the lack of tact about the brunette's behavior.

Y/n grumbled as Ray bonked his head, slightly scowling as he resumed eating.

-----

The kids had now finished eating and set up for the night, falling asleep once their bodies fell onto the laid out sheets. Ustinez himself fell right asleep with them. The only ones who remained awake were the three eldest kids. The trio carefully made their way through the sleeping bodies and soon they stood by the exit to the outside.

"Let's go." Ray whispered, the other two nodding.

They stepped outside and followed a light, Sonju appearing in their line of vision. They noticed that the demon sat in front of a fire, stirring something in a pot.

"So you're still awake?" The demon asked aloud, glancing at the approaching kids.

"Can we talk now?" Emma requested.

"Can't see why not." Sonju said, motioning for them to take a seat.

Emma and Y/n did, but Ray refused and opted for standing aside.

"You three were running around last night and didn't sleep properly, yes? You should stay put and rest until you recover fully." Sonju advised.

"Yes, later we're going to sleep a full night again." Emma nodded.

There was a moment of silence and she fiddled with her hands in her lap, glancing between the floor and Sonju. Then...

"Thank you."

At her sudden words, Sonju looked at her, a bit surprised, but not showing it.

"And also...I'm sorry for having doubted you. Even though you two saved us from them, I just assumed that all demons were eating humans. It didn't cross my mind that some might be friendly..." Emma continued, slightly ashamed.

'Did they really forget Ustinez's existence? That guy's a walking people-pleaser.' Y/n sweatdropped.

"Don't worry. You have a good reason to be skeptical. Human meat is something of great value to- mmm...'demons'. The brain above all. Those like us are awfully few. Most 'demons' will drool at the sight of your flesh, and crave to sink their teeth in it. You do well in assuming they're all out to eat you." Sonju said.

He was clearly not offended by the girl's first response when meeting, but understanding as to why she reacted in such a manner.

"Then, why are you two...?" Emma asked, a hint of uncertainty in her voice.

"Faith. Our religion is against the eating of human beings. Only human beings however. Other than humans, I can and will eat anything." Sonju responded.

"We're what our society calls, 'heathens'. They who own the farms...their ideology, their authority, their entire enterprise...I couldn't care less for the whole of it. Just keep me out of it. The reason why I've saved you humans is simple curiosity. It's been quite some time since I could have a nice talk with your kind..." He continued, slightly exhaling.

"How unusual indeed...These days, it's a rare enough opportunity to see living humans even on the plantations, much less..."

Sonju raised the ladle from the pot and poured the liquid into a cup before handing it to Emma who hesitantly accepted it.

"What's the matter? I'm sure this is what you came here for." Sonju asked.

"...Could you tell us, please?" Emma started. "30 years ago...What happened to humankind? What's going on with the world?"

––––

Edited: February 26, 2023

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

844 41 13
────── 。゚☆: *.☽ .* ☆゚ In a world where enigmatic challenges threaten to tear them apart, a chance meeting at a quiet café brings together an unlike...
2.1K 104 12
A 24/7 hotline, a hotheaded customer service representative, a sarcastic manchild, and a broken toaster. What could happen? I'll be updating at LEAST...
14.4K 561 8
ᴛ ᴀ ɪ ɴ ᴛ ᴇ ᴅ ; + sᴄᴀʀs ᴏғ sᴏʀʀᴏᴡ ᴄᴀʀᴠᴇᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛ. ᴏғ ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ʙʀᴀɴᴅɪsʜᴇᴅ ᴀ ɴᴇᴡ ᴛᴀɪɴᴛɪɴɢ. AC ; era_pippi | twt/x TW ⚠️ || this story contains th...
18K 917 12
"𝒜𝓃 ℯ𝓎ℯ 𝒻ℴ𝓇 𝒶𝓃 ℯ𝓎ℯ,𝒶 𝓁ℯℊ 𝒻ℴ𝓇 𝒶 𝓁ℯℊ 𝒜 𝓈𝒽ℴ𝓉 𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝒽ℯ 𝒽ℯ𝒶𝓇𝓉 𝒹ℴℯ𝓈𝓃'𝓉 𝓂𝒶𝓀ℯ 𝒾𝓉 𝓊𝓃𝒷𝓇ℯ𝒶𝓀" ________ (Dazai x Diluc Male...