Odds & Us ✔️

By VRUKSHA

Book 2 of Raichand - Mehra - Malhotra Series A tale after the happily ever after... Some fairy tales have an... More

Pre-Prologue
Welcome Note
Prologue
MEET the US
Chapter 1: He's Back!
Chapter 2: Pain Ensues
Chapter 3: Home Coming
Chapter 4: Perfect Stranger
Chapter 5: Hustle
Chapter 6: Fisticuffs
Chapter 7: Fishy
Chapter 8: A Thursday
Chapter 9: Jugglers
Chapter 10: Envelope's Mess
Chapter 11: Aurum
Chapter 12: Life goes on...
Chapter 13: Baby Steps
Chapter 14: Passion
Chapter 15: Pandora's Box
Chapter 16: Dreams
Chapter 17: The Plan
Chapter 18: Wired To Be
Chapter 19: Explosions
Chapter 20: Blessed
Chapter 21: A Luncheon
Chapter 22: A Grand Opening
Chapter 23: You Did What?
Chapter 24: Consequences
Chapter 25: Afterparty Inferno
Chapter 26: Rifts & Strains
Chapter 27: Frozen
Chapter 28: All About Perspective
Chapter 29: Charades
Chapter 31: A Catastrophe
Chapter 32: Conundrum
Chapter 33: One Chance
Chapter 34: What a Mess!
Chapter 35: Quagmire
Chapter 36: Apprehensions
Chapter 37: Start or the End?
Chapter 38: Comforting
Chapter 39: A Valley!
Chapter 40: Stranger Plays Cupid
Chapter 41: Hell Broke Loose
Chapter 42: FOLA
Chapter 43: Wormhole
Chapter 44: Yours, Forever
Chapter 45: Sanguine
Chapter 46: What is Love?
Chapter 47: Chasing Time
Chapter 48: Hope
Chapter 49: Wildest Dreams
Chapter 50: Odds & Us
Announcement - New Story

Chapter 30: Raging Storm

386 33 43
By VRUKSHA

#280

If you live in Mumbai or even if you don't you know that Mumbai is famously or rather infamously known for its Rains. Mumbai rains they say, a dramatic lot eh? They know how to be extreme yet so beautiful and mesmerizing and enchanting at the same time. You can either love them or just hate them but they'll always be a part of everyone who has ever experienced it. 

We don't see storms that often but then we do catch them here they're bloody raging. Absolutely wild. Reckless and merciless. Ripping off trees, tumbling the rickshaws, and uprooting houses. 

Yesterday, was one such stormy day for Mumbai. But, today Mumbai has survived. It always does. It's the most resilient of all. They might wreak an havoc but one thing they won't be able to destroy is our people's spirits!

This makes me wonder can we all be a bit more like our Mumbai? All of us sometime in our lives experience this raging storm, a raging storm of diverse emotions which might've devastating aftermath not only on us but also the people who surround us, the ones we love so much. Is it easy to move forward by forgiving or just loving them enough or just by making apologies or a few amends to fill those cracks caused? 

I don't know. I suppose that's an answer time can only tell. 

~ Aavya, pondering after a terrible thunderstorm.

❋❋❋

Aavya was extremely exuberant this morning, little did she know that her morning was gonna be more eventful than she had anticipated when Zeehan walked into her office. It was gonna be a stormy day. 

" Hello! Don't you look rather gloomy?" She asked.

He tried to smile but his demure was enough for her to know that something was wrong.

" What is it?" She asked and he narrated the story as it was, with no filters and no biases. Zeehan is not known for beating around the bush. If he throws an arrow at the target it better hit the bull's eyes or not at all.
In half an hour's time, he sensed he had caused tremendous pain and agony to Aavya than he ever had in his lifetime and it nearly killed him.

The facts were laid and the truth was crystal clear.

Miher was no more than a double-standard person who just wanted what everyone else did, Aavya's money and her father's influence.

Aavya glanced at Zeehan, her eyes trying to hold themselves.

" I-I... I don't want your pity, Zee and I don't know how can I believe you..."

" I'm sorry but I don't think your meeting was a fate too. It was all a perfect plan. I knew I had seen that jerk somewhere. It took me some time to figure it out but I did it alright."

" It's his father, right? Not him. " She was trying hard to convince herself. Zeehan gave her his wry crooked smile.

" I wish. But I tapped their phones..."

" I don't think that is legal. " Aavya's eyes widen at the prospect that Zeehan could take such a step.

" It might not be but I couldn't let him have his way with you. Besides, I was monitoring only his conversations with his father and I found it disturbing that he was persistent in putting Miher with the sole task of convincing you to sign a deal to save their chain of hospitals. It is in a dismal condition. No one in their right mind would invest there. I knew I had seen that Miher before and I found him with his father in one of our conference pictures.
They were begging for someone to save their sinking ship but it was futile. " Zeehan saw Aavya's face change colors and he knew that in her heart he would sympathize with Miher.

" Aavya... They have options to save their faces but it must not be at someone else's cost. They can't pull you or hurt your feelings... Do you understand?" She nodded as the first of her tear trickled down.

" Insolvency, bankruptcy, selling off their assets, there are multiple solutions but doing this is satanic. "

" I truly believed that he was the one. Too soon, eh? " She scoffed and continued.

" He... I never imagined, oh god! He felt so nice and genuine. I could never feel a vibe from him that he'd hurt someone, I thought he liked me..." She stopped to muster herself and just then they heard someone enter.

One look at her and Miher could feel the ground move beneath his legs as he shivered when he saw Aavya's eyes and he could only imagine what would happen next. He prayed it was nothing about him.

" Hey..." Pretending always worked but sadly not today.

" Everything okay?" He asked walking towards Aavya which he knew would be perilous.

" No, you tell me. Is everything okay?" She was rather calm.

" Huh? Yea..." He shrugged.

" So, when were you planning to rope me in the deal and make me a party to your deplorable ruins? " She asked directly.

" Pardon?" He narrowed his eyes.

She threw the file towards him and he caught in an expert manner and his face showed varied expressions from shock to terror.

" Aa-Aavya... You gotta hear me... "

" Is all that the truth? "

" Can we talk privately?"

" I'm not going anywhere," Zeehan announced.

" Yes! He is not. So, you better answer my question. Is that correct?"

" What?" He asked.

" Don't you act all innocent? Were you or were not colluding with your father in making me sign a deal to save your hospitals? "

" Aavya..."

" Charades... That is all this was? All these months together, a ploy, a trick, a lie? "

" Listen..." He was imploring.

" Miher! Answer me dammit. Was it a part of some plan? " She banged her hand against her mahogany desk and it was quite loud.

" Yes but... " He convulsed. 

" Get. Out. " It was a whisper but felt like a shout. 

" You've to let me explain. C'mon, Aavya don't be like this. There is a reasonable explanation. " She looked right in his eyes and all she wanted was to punch him.

" There might be but I don't wanna prove myself as gullible and naive again. Once is more than enough. Get out now. Or else I'll have someone throw you out. "

" Aavya... Please... I really like you..." He was trying to come closer but Zeehan stopped him almost shoving him away.

Aavya turned around.

" Leave... Please. " She said at last and he knew he had ruined it all.

He knew it was a very bad idea to involve with someone like this and it turned out the worst thing he has ever done, not because he actually did like her but because it was so morally wrong. Now that he knew she had been hurt before he felt like a criminal and without any more protests he walked out.

As the door closed behind them Aavya fell into Zeehan's embrace and cried her heart out. Her hopes were hung on the last thread that Miher might refute all those allegations but he didn't and that broke her heart into a pieces.

✿✿✿

Aman had never been an inherent dancer, it was Rose. She was the one who pushed him to join her and it was in her company only that he truly enjoyed the essence of music.

Today morning when he saw her, all puffed and cherry looking in sweet innocent anger he was thrown back in time when he made the wrong moves or stamped over her feet, her face exactly how it was this morning. He missed that face, that irritatedly cute expression, and thus that landed him where he was right now.
Their old studio where they usually found themselves on the weekends to fuel Rose's passion. It was almost empty as the classes were done for the day. Aman was relishing their memories just ambling his way through the translucent rooms. The silence was beckoning and he had to look at the very last studio which was theirs.
If one wanted to find these two somewhere other than their usual places it would be here.
But, to their surprise, their time spent here was rarely disturbed, and reminiscing the brazenly searing kisses they had shared within those 4 walls he had the urge to have one peep in. For the old times' sake. 

As he neared the glass door he heard a faint noise and even some music. He rendered he wasn't alone. Maybe someone was rehearsing, but a glance wouldn't matter, right?
But as soon as he crooked his neck to take a look in, he was taken back.

Rose...

Just one glance at her and it was a whirlpool of feelings. A raging storm mix of euphoria, nervousness, anxiety and awe and of course love.

What was she doing in there? Of course, other than looking radiant and mesmerizing in her short skirt and tank top, creating some sort of vibrant energy with her moves. Aman was totally wonder struck. She wasn't even the last person he had expected to see, one because he wasn't even sure she came and two, she came all by herself. It was their place. The two of them. 

He did not know what hurt more.

But he was sure in for a treat as she took her steps and it was more beautiful as she was so lost in her trance with her eyes closed, she had failed to sense anyone's presence and Aman had moved in the room, closing the door behind making almost no noise in his wake but it didn't make a difference as Rose was engrossed in the music and the flow.

Then Aman took his sweet time to savor her and while he heard the lyrics it broke him.

It was a conversation they had long back but he remembered it as if it happened yesterday.

" Rosie, we have songs for almost every kind of emotion we've ever shared..." He spoke. She nodded with her head against his chest.

" But, you never told me which one we'd listen to when our hearts would be in pain..."

" Why would they be in pain? Only, if one of us decides to break up... " She looked at him, chuckling.

" Well, I'm not the one..." She added.

" Cmon, that is not what I meant. What I meant was... "

" That, what would we listen if one of us breaks the other's heart one day, right? " She always knew what he meant to say and like a sweet little boy he nodded.

She smiled.

" I don't know about you, but when you'll break mine you'll know the song..."

" How? " She loved when she left him in puzzles.

" You will know... " She winked, so much in confidence that that day would never come and in his heart, he could feel that confidence too.

Alas, here they were tonight.

And Aman shuddered as he knew.

He knew this was the song.

She turned gracefully as the music changed and his heart sank with the beautify and pain of the lyrics.

🎶 How do I love
How do I love again?
How do I trust
How do I trust again?🎶

She turned on her toes in contemporary style and took bold steps into oblivion, doing the immaculate floor work, the contract release, the pointy toe kicks, and the energy along with all the nuances that make the dance form perfect. All Aman could do was stare, emotions building up and shaking his core. The rhythm changed so did the flow of her energy. 

🎶  I stay up all night
Tell myself I'm alright
Baby, you're just harder to see than most
I put the record on
Wait 'til I hear our song 🎶

That line had his heart skip a beat and all he wished was to put himself in her way as she was slow dancing and just hold her tight and never let her go.

🎶 Every night I'm dancing with your ghost
Every night I'm dancing with your ghost
Never got the chance
To say a last goodbye
I gotta move on
But it hurts to try 🎶

Aman could feel each and every word in his bones and blood and he knew it would be just the song they'd hear and perhaps even cry with together. And he noticed amidst all the sweat there were tears falling as she made the last twirls as the music came to halt and as she was was about to drop down from a jump on her knees he caught her.

He caught her with all his life.

✿✿✿

It was a warm night and Ahana was having trouble sleeping since her husband was still preferring the guest room. Although she was glad that he was home and not all by himself at the farmhouse which would have been worst. He was still avoiding her and didn't feign that in public gatherings as well. As far as Ahana knew they were just two stories-slash-gossips away from being some new item about trouble in paradise or divorce on cards.

Media can be the most insensitive entity when it comes to the personal lives of people and Ahana had zero interest in dragging her family into the tiniest of scandals. If Ansh wanted to stay aloof he might as well do that behind closed doors and not showcase their squabbles in front of the world. She walked out of her room with a determination to just sit and relax in the garden and mull over her next course of action when she saw her youngest kid running up the stairs.
There was no doubt about the fact that she was all in sobs. She went past so quickly that she didn't notice her parents peeking right at her.

It was at that exact moment when Ansh happen to walk out of his study and both of them standing opposite to each other saw their daughter run into her room. It might have been many things but they know their daughter too well to know that it has to be heartbreak.

" Ah-? Should we go check on her?" Ahana was the first one to speak up.

Parenting is a two-person job and no matter how big their babies grow they will never cease to be their parents. So, when in confusion about what course to take, mom and dad only have each other for advice. Funny how it sounds, right? Parents who are supposed to know everything sometimes find themselves in a fix.
Quite natural though.

" I-I'm not sure. Should we or should we just let her be? She needs time and when she feels like herself we will be here, right?" Ansh looked at her wife and he suddenly missed her so much. He missed her scent and he missed how she felt in his arms.
Ahana looked concerned and lost in thought.

" Ahana? " He called again wanting to close the distance just as she looked at him, earnestly.

" Yea. I agree but what if she needs us? Needs us to hold her and comfort her." It was a valid question to ponder and as much as they wanted to intrude in and help her at the same time they didn't wish to be imposing.

Ansh gave Ahana a wistful look and she could see her question was disconcerting him but then he sighed.

" Well, I for one am leaving her alone. As for you, you do you..."

He turned to walk away but Ahana wasn't letting that jibe go unanswered because she knew it meant something deeper than he let off. If she knew her husband any better it was a clear hit, coming from his heart.

" Wait? What was that supposed to mean? " She called.

When he expressed that he clearly had no intention to drag them into some kind of heated argument but now that it was inevitable, so be it. Let the storm rage. 

He was aware that Ahana was not feigning innocence because she knew there was something else going on but what exactly is far beyond.

" Ansh?" She called when he failed to reply even after facing her.

" Oh! Ahana... Don't you pretend now." He knew she wasn't pretending anything but he was rather having some smug satisfaction in vexing her.

" If you'll precisely explain as to what am I pretending it would save both of us some time."

" You absolutely know you're the better parent between the two of us. You always know what is best for all of us, right? Always..." He emphatically said the last word.

Her face changed into some contorted sardonic expression but Ansh was not stopping.

" You feel and believe with a resolution that what you do is right, always, needless adhering to anyone's feelings so why do you need my opinion tonight. You have it all sorted... You always have..."

" Ansh..." She was trying hard not to raise her voice against his allegations and his apparently fuming voice too.

" Why? Is it too bitter to hear or is it because it is the truth, Ahana? You've always wanted to be the controlling one..."

" Ansh... What is... " But he was still not vowing to stop.

" That is exactly what you did when you literally snatched my son away from me... " If it wasn't so obvious earlier it was now, where all that was coming from.

" You-You led me to believe for years that I was the bad, cruel parent that my son had to run away from the house just to escape my impositions when in reality you orchestrated all of that... Yes, you did and then you proved to him that I'm as bad as anyone would imagine and you became an epitome of motherhood by bolstering him to chase his dreams, and now that he is successful he has no one to thank but you... " He was breathing heavily now and his wrath was so burning that he failed to see Ahana's falling tears.

Never in his life, he had not noticed Ahana's pain but tonight if there were a competition between who was more hurt Ansh might have an upper hand.

She wanted to speak but she felt so weak and it was heart-wrenching. She was aware Ansh was upset, furious, and eight other things but he had chosen not to vent and now that he was doing it she realized she wasn't ready to face him or his anger or even his accusations although he sounded correct.

She would never ever believe that he was not a good parent, in fact, he was the best, better than her too. She had never hoped for him to believe that.

" A-Ansh... I-I..."

" Ahana, I've never felt so much humiliation in my life than I did that day in that small room at the party. It wounded me but then you got what you wanted. I've been declared the worst father of the century and my son hates me and all thanks to you, again... " He was quick in his sentences and so much exasperated. If Ahana didn't do what her impulse urged her to he might never stop.

" Alright, that's it... " And although the distance between them was no more than 4 steps it felt like an eternity to just reach him and press her lips on his, and hold him tight, not because he needed it, or it was vital to calm him down but because she needed him.

She needed him to not hate her, to understand her, and give her a chance to explain.

She kissed him, surprising him totally but as much as he knew he ought to push her away before she could turn his mind insane he didn't.

Indeed, a raging storm. A raging storm of emotions. 

She gathered him in a hug, not letting her lips leave his for a second as her tears didn't cease to fall.

She wanted him to just love her at that exact moment because her life depended on that. 

_______________________________________________

Hey Guys!

Thanks for reading. Hope you're enjoying.

Next Chapter - A Catastrophe

Do show your support. :)

DO VOTE, COMMENT & SHARE

Luv... ♥
Vruksha.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

152K 5.3K 62
A story of two people who just hate eachother but destiny have some other plans for them Let's see what happened between them will they unite or fal...
761K 45.4K 48
♡ 𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤 #𝟏 𝐨𝐟 𝐇𝐢𝐬 𝐎𝐛𝐬𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐒𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 ⊹ ࣪ ˖ ❝𝑳𝒐𝒗𝒆 𝒊𝒔 𝑶𝒃𝒔𝒆𝒔𝒔𝒊𝒐𝒏, 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒐𝒃𝒔𝒆𝒔𝒔𝒊𝒐𝒏 𝒊𝒔 𝒏𝒐𝒕 𝒍𝒐𝒗𝒆.❞ ...
674K 45.5K 87
(Apart Series - Book 2) Sehgals were shocked to see Brinda exchanging rings with Souvik when they entered Sharma Nivas. Mahir wanted to let Brinda k...
2.3M 88.9K 54
Agreement Marriage, is a wonderful love story between two complex people. Radhika, a next door girl from a middle class family got married to an arro...