A Court of Distrust and Darkn...

By courtofroses0326

Nyx is starting to grow into himself, not just as heir and Illyrian warrior. He has grown from child to a pro... More

Gathering
Ally
Family
Distracted
Home
Negotiation
Sea Serpents
Windhaven
Consultation
Arrival
Information
Gala
Celebration
Intrusion
Meeting of Courts

Mission

965 29 1
By courtofroses0326

Keres point of view:
I rested in the shadows of a bookcase above the ballroom. The opening from the top of this private library led for a perfect view down on the assembling High lord and Lady of the Night Court. I wasn't here for them though, despite them discussing information I'd learned months ago, I was here for the summer court traitors who wanted to make a point to the leaders of night court.

From what information I had, they didn't know today was when they discussed information on the rebellions that are spreading throughout the courts like a disease. The traitors only knew they were all gathered now and this would be the best time to get the information of their plan out.

They were smart enough to wait for the last person to assemble but I didn't feel their presence in the building yet. Despite the movement throughout the halls I knew they weren't here. My shadows curled around my ears, giving me whispers of information. The shadows didn't speak, but they had different ways of communicating such as the vibrations. When my shadows vibrate they can mimic pitches to replay sounds. It allows me to hear all around the extremely large house without ever leaving my position.

I knew what my mother would call this scouting. She'd say it was unnecessary and betraying my own court for another, but I call it loyalty. One of my only friends in the world lived here. She wasn't afraid of me, nor did she care that I was female or a shadowsinger. She just liked me. I felt my face lift into a smile, one that warmed my chest despite the cold of the darkness and shadows.

Speaking of friend, I saw her enter. I tipped her off about the infiltration the second I learned and she was the one who helped plan this. I emerged from the shadows I hid in, letting myself reform to the present world and not in the realm of shadows. Asteria smiled to me and I took her in at that moment.

She was always prettiest when she smiled though it was rare. Her violet eyes sparkled in the light and her face was square and strong like her fathers. Asteria had her fathers hair, black as coal which shone against her paler skin tone. In every way she looked just like her father who I could see below with a dark haired figure which I assumed was one of his sons or nephews. Asteria held none of the petit shyness of her younger sister Neith though. She did however have a strong form that radiated strength.

She smiled at my approach over to the balcony where she leaded. Asteria looked around to see our surroundings before she said, "Your well glamoured. Either that or your shadows are just strong enough today to completely camouflage you. I wouldn't have even known you were here if not for you revealing yourself." I smiled silently and made sure my throat wasn't dry, to make sure it didn't squeak or breath as I talked. I said softly to not draw any listening ears and gazed, "My point here is to remain hidden until they reveal themselves. Stealth is the key to that."

Asteria nodded in understand before she said, "Which is exactly why your the best infiltrator in the entire court systems." I shook my head with a smile as I said, "That's only because the others don't know about me." She didn't argue which I took as a resignation from the argument. Her dress caught my attention though as she contemplated. I never understood how she could make the simplest things look fantastic when I still look like a brick shoved in a dolls dress.

As if hearing my thoughts, Asteria chuckled. Her navy dress she wore sparkled from the beadwork as she turned. It was simple but stunning, much better than my leathers which encased most of my body. Asteria seemed to sense my apprehension and said, "Just because you are not wearing a dress, doesn't mean you look any less stunning." I nodded in understanding before she said, "If you would take down that hood you'd look quite alluring and mysterious. Instead you appear exactly as you want to, cold and secretive as an assassin should."

She had a point. With my hood and mask over my face, it masked my identity well, but left myself being little more than a moving blade, nothing left for the watcher to imagine about. In this I was meant to be forgettable, with nothing that stands out that would lead to my discovery.

Movement pulled me away from our conversation as her sister Neith moved towards the door. She was taking the children into the hall, and I knew they would be in the exact path of the infiltrators. Asteria didn't even flinch as she asked, "They will be used as leverage to prevent attack, won't they?" I nodded and said to her, "Yes but they won't do much as hurt them before I get to them."

She nodded before I said, "One for you, one for me. I'll make sure to get the one from summer court. He needs to be shown that treason and treachery won't be taken with kindness." Asteria nodded and said, "Do you know which court the others are from?" I shook my head before I said, "Only the main male. The others aren't my priority." She nodded before I heard movement behind us.

I pulled back into the shadows of the bookshelf, drifting into the coldness of the shadow realm. I heard the door slam open before I recognized the Illyrian warrior. Asteria's cousin, Davina was striding into the loft with her wings tucked protectively against her back.

Asteria pretended to not notice her but by the arch in her shoulders and the way her feet already twisted to the side, I knew she was aware of her approach. Davina smiled and said, "You know if you wanted to watch us like chess pieces that's fine, but you could have at least made us aware of where you were."

Asteria shrugged her shoulders as she turned and said, "I had business to attend to." Davian rolled her eyes and said, "Yes because creepily stalking from above is business." Asteria looked towards my corner and I fade farther into the shadows before Asteria said, "I did. You'll see." Davina shook her head.

I looked at her closer to see the differences between her and the other Illyrian below. She looked Illyrian with her sleek dark hair cut right at her shoulders and tan skin marred with scars. Her eyes were a odd blue though. If a little lighter they would look silver. It was an odd feature for an Illyrian. However even with her looks and short stature she looked deadly. In sleeveless Illyrian leathers her shoulders were wide with muscle and her arms tense with strength. Her wings pulled closely together held enough muscle that they looked deadly.

Davina didn't comment but came to lean against the railing. She looked out over the group and said, "This worries me. The rebellion I mean. How many of our family will we lose before they are defeated?" Asteria didn't flinch as she said, "It's possible we will lose some, but not if I have a say in it." She looked over her shoulder at me and despite she couldn't see me I knew it was a silent pled.

For so long she was my only connection to other courts, to someplace good that wasn't the fear that encased the castle of the summer court because of my mother. I knew I would do anything in my power to protect my friend, but I didn't know about her family which I barely knew. Asteria turned back to Davian and said, "Nyx and I will figure out a way to get us all out of this."

I perked at the mention of the future high lord. Like the future high lord Ceram, he would be next in line for the power. I could feel the strength radiating in the room but I assumed it was their father not him. I've never actually met him, despite all thats said about him. In the summer court he is fawned over for his beauty, and everyone talks about the strength of his magic. I've never commented for the fact that I've never met him. I knew I would, but I never thought I would meet him like this.

Davina seemed comforted by that and said, "I hope you do. I don't think Karyan or Neith can take anymore death in their life." I smiled at the mention of Karyan. I ran into their young spy occasionally and we always had an agreement to never mention what either was caught doing. Their was a mutual trust that we were on each other's sides but never anything close. It probably could be a friendship if we ever talked to one another.

Asteria smiled and said, "I don't think Karyan would have a problem. It just depends on who it is. Neith would fracture like glass." Her smile dropped at the end before Davina said, "Enough with the sadness. Nyx is waiting for us." She nodded and turned one last time in my direction before following Davina. Davina seemed impatient with her slow speed and asked, "Can't I just fly us down? It will be so much quicker."

I heard Asteria's laugh as the door closed behind them and the warmth of it made me smile. I think Asteria's intelligence burdens her more than she admits. Having to think and imagine through every possible outcome has its toll on a person. Hearing her laugh cheers me despite the situation.

I kept to the shadows but crept closer to look down at everyone. The younger fae and Illyrians were at a circular table. They seemed to be discussing something amongst themselves. I recognized the face of my cousin and smiled. He always made it clear that his loyalties lie with the Night Court and his mother. I hoped he wouldn't rat out my actions to my father or mother though. Wouldn't tell them if the ties I have with the people in this court versus my own. That would only end with me giving a lecture on loyalty.

My shadows curled against my ear then and I heard the winnowing in the courtyard. Two forms dropped down and one was walking quickly. It was then that I felt the intruders spring my trap of shadows. The shadows fled to me quickly and I could feel them using the entrance of the known figure to hide their own. They weren't sneaky but no one seemed to detect them yet. I disappeared into the hall, keeping to the darkness and I heard before I saw the struggle. One of the women had gone to see the children and her skull cracked as the intruders entered the room.

I heard her body fall but luckily she was still breathing even as she was knocked out cold. I winced at the pain she would have in the morning. I heard the threats relayed to the children and I placed the accents. One summer court which I knew, one autumn and the other was either spring or day, I couldn't quite place it.

I quickly faded through the shadows back into the main room as I pulled my bow over my shoulder and touched the duel knives that were in the sheath on my chest. I drew an ash arrow quietly. I waited for them to enter, knowing full well they wouldn't hurt the children until they tried to get away.

It was when the forms entered that I readied myself for the assault. Their was five of them. Three holding the children, two flanking near the shadows. I felt the disturbance with the shadow realm making me look away from the targets. Their was a Illyrian standing to the side with a Valkyrie woman. He was dressed in leather that were decorated with blue stones.

What had drawn me to him was the fact he was drifting in the shadow realm to attack. I had never met another shadowsinger. My curiosity briefly outweighed my preparedness and I looked him over. After something the leader said to him, he pulled himself from the shadow realm but his eyes were cold with silent fury and the shadows around him nearly shielded his form entirely as if waiting to attack with them.

But I saw on his face was something that overpowered the anger: Worry. I blinked at the concern before I sent one of my shadows towards him. It was invisible to the naked eyes as it traveled along the darkness but I saw the shadowsinger recognize it. His eyes widened briefly as his shadows tangled with mine. His eyes briefly flashed up in realization to meet mine. I nodded and his eyes narrowed before I drew the arrow.

He readied himself before I jumped from the railing. I released the arrow as I fell before I hit the ground. I slung the bow over my shoulder before sliding the duel knives from their sheath. The fae that held the child had barely started to drop yet before I was in between the two others. I took my blade and stabbed it straight in the hand holding the knife to the girls throat.

He cried out in pain and outrage as I hit the nerve in his hand. His hand spasmed open and with the blade cutting the ligaments, he dropped the blade without meaning to. He was turning towards me as I spun. The knife in my hand stabbed itself into the covered figure's side before I kicked the hilt of the blade. I heard the snapping of bones as from the blade but not only did the opponent fly away from my kick, but the knife buried itself deeper into her body.

I quickly ducked to avoid a thrown hand at my head. I turned to see my assalent before I kneed his chest. I heard him grunt from the pain before I grabbed his wrist. I wrenched the blade from his arm and pulled sharply before I threw the knife. His shoulder popped out of socked and he screamed from the pain from my wrenching, and from the pain of the knife which had imbedded itself into his thigh. He dropped to the ground and didn't attempt to move much besides the occasional groan and movement from the pain. I heard the fighting between the others and the surrounding soldiers ceased before I even looked up.

The cloaked figures were either being restrained by the almost mist like darkness of the high lords power or by a few Illyrian warriors. The children had run to their parents and I could see the fellow shadowsinger clutching the boy I'd saved in his arms. He seemed to almost be singing softly to him as he held him. I instantly saw the relief in the parents gaze and when the dark gaze of the shadowsinger caught mine he seemed to nod ever so slightly in gratitude.

I turned though, knowing that I need to leave before I could be stopped. The man was desperately trying to pulled my blade from his leg and I left him as I crossed to the dying man. I must have punctured something as his form was spasming as he struggled against death. I pulled the blade from the bleeding side of the high fae before I crossed to the other.

He hadn't gotten the blade from his leg yet, so I gave him a helpful hand and yanked it from his thigh. He groan in agony as he desperately tried to claw at me in pain. I kicked his leg which made his body curl just enough for me to put pressure on his arm and plant my foot on his wrist. The movement kept him pinned with intense pain as I could hear the bones cracking under my pressure. Ice chilled my veins and I knelt down before I said, "The summer court requests you presence." He spit blood onto my leather before I grabbed his neck. He spasmed against the pressure before I let the shadows take the place of my hand holding him to the floor as I pulled back. I could almost feel my shadows chuckling at the limp fish they held to the ground.

The man chocked for air before I said, "Next time, you will respect the balance of high lords and high fae. Who knows, maybe you'll get out of prison in the next 500 years, enough time to think over the meaning of treason." I was about to pull him up to a standing position before I heard a call rang out from the group.

I knew I had waisted to much time with these people, in this bloodied room, but I couldn't help it. Not only did the presence of another shadowsinger draw me in but something tugged on my chest as if to say, turn around. I turned to look at the voice, while keeping the man pinned to the ground with my shadows and my foot firmly on his wrist.

Asteria who was my guess the person who called out was standing next to a males side. Her eyes full of understanding at me trying to flee but she wanted some recognition before I vanished. I nodded to her enough that a few forms turned to her confused.

The Illyrians who briefly looked at her was now turning their attention on me as they had their intruders either caught or killed. I saw the distrust in their eyes as if I was an additional enemy. I figured out quickly that it was time to vanish before the wards around the area would be tightened and I couldn't escape by foot or winnow.

I went to turn away from the group before I saw the male next to Asteria move towards me quickly. I took a step back releasing my traitors wrist as I readied myself to shadow travel. Only a intense feeling that surrounded my chest made me stop. When his gaze met mine, I startled. His eyes were like a combination of ice and lavender. They both sparkled and burned as they looked at me, and I froze. Looking into those eyes it was strange, like some sort of invisible force pushing us together.

His mouth dropped a little and his eyes widened in disbelief before his hand started to stretch towards mine. I didn't take the chance that he would be looking to stop me so I dropped to grab the traitor and shadow traveled us. The shadow realm is a world of darkness that I could enter with my shadows helps. For a brief second I debated staying as the pull in my chest made me reluctant to go, but I vanished. I appeared outside the house which allowed me enough time to pick the guy up into my shoulder and winnow us to the summer court.

The instant my boots hit the ground I felt more alone and at ease at the same time. The summer court appeared in my gaze sparkling with all its glory. While I was comforted by the sudden onset of the glowering heat, the brightness of the summer court made me wince. I blinked at the bright light from the sun that temporally made my eyesight fade to blackness and back again. I blinked rapidly to adjust from the relatively dimmer lights in the night court.

When the colors appeared it gave me a beautiful view of the palace as I adjusted the bleeding prisoner which allowed me to walk without much trouble. I however did allow myself to gaze over my home. The golden sandstone and white stone of crushed pearls made up the towering walls that birds could barely fly over. The turquoise and aqua glass panes made up most of the ceilings and domes of the palace.

As I crossed the low bridge over the water, I could see the fish swimming amongst the stilts and when I turned to my right, I could see the city of Adriata. With the similar white and yellow walls that only stood out from from the castle by having bright red shingles on the roof. The mainland city was protected by the bridges and the castle, only allowing one entry point to the ports, making the city easily protected as a precaution.

I was coming up on the gate into the castle and the soldiers out front saw me quickly and readied their tridents. One of my favorite weapons but not easily concealed while being stealthy. I rolled my eyes and said, "At ease you bloody pipsqueaks. I won't hurt anybody inside." As I approached they remained standing tense so I dropped the guy off my shoulder. He landed with a thud and a groan as he clutched his bleeding wrist.

The soldiers looked between him and I quite comically before I pulled the hood from my head. The mask fell away as the hood did and I shook my blond hair out. The silver like blond hair was long on one side waving in loose curls while the other was pulled back into cornrows braids as to keep it out of my face while fighting.

When they saw my face they blinked a few times before they straightened. I smiled softly to them and asked them, "Grab him for me will you, and follow me." They looked between each other before nodding and grabbed the mans arms and dragging his limp form after me. I waved to different soldiers as I passed, instructing two of them to guard the gate until the two soldiers helping me returned.

I entered into the palace with the sea glass doors opening to us and walked swiftly through the sea shell and sandstone halls, not bothering to fix any of my bloodied clothes as I walked. I could hear voices echoing from the main room throne room where Tarquin heard consul and where he met with our people.

I led them in that direction, only allowing myself to be distracted by the light clinking from the blue and white sea glass chandelier above. I smiled at the delicate sound and the beautiful light that shown through the glass. My approach to the doors didn't disrupt the sound and two guards stood outside of it, confirming my theory of who was inside.

The soldiers guarding the throne room bowed as I passed before I threw open the doors. The doors opened with a groan and all faces turned towards me. I plastered a smirk on my face as I strode in before looking around at the room. I could see myself in the reflection of the sea glass. Dark leathers covered in blood as a smirk was framed by bright white hair. I looked like an embodiment of death. A death that just triumphed in a battle and was coming to claim her prize.

Tarquin sat on a three pronged mother of pearl and sea glass throne. His silver hair was shoulder length and pulled back by clips of pearls that framed his head as a light weight crown of gold and jewels rested on his head. His dark blue and gold clothing matched the crown as he leaned forward with interest at my arrival. Next to him was an equally as extravagant throne. The throne was occupied with a high fae women who was not from the summer court, but the winter court. Her icy expression was enough to emphasize that. The white hair was barely discernible from her pale skin that framed light blue eyes of ice. Her expression was tight and a mask of a frozen interior. I barely spared her a glance as I looked at the man standing on the other side of Tarquin. He was watching me with surprise as I stepped to the side.

The soldiers dumped the man onto the stone floor instead of the light blue and white rug leading into the room. Didn't want to get blood on it was my guess. They fled from the room at my request. Tarquin sent away the advisors who had been scuttling around the corner of the room with a look of worry covering their faces. I had to control my shadows to not freak Tarquin's advisors out more. My shadows hated to be hidden but knew better than to stray far from my form in here.

The advisors never liked me, and preferred to look the other way or actively avoid me when near. They looked at the blood as if they were going to be sick though and Tarquin sent them away again so as to clear the room. They obeyed this time. I knew that look on Tarquin's face as he stood to get a better look. He recognized the man I found which was concerning in itself if not for the coldness on his usually so cheerful features. I nodded to him and said, "I brought back information and the traitor, just as you asked Father."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.1K 169 21
Amaris is the daughter of the High Lord and Lady of the Night Court. And like her parents, she is capable of wielding great and powerful magic. When...
104K 2.3K 61
𝑨 π’”π’•π’π’“π’š 𝒃𝒂𝒔𝒆𝒅 𝒐𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 π‘―π’Šπ’ˆπ’‰ 𝑳𝒐𝒓𝒅 π‘»π’‚π’Žπ’π’Šπ’ 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 π‘Ίπ’‘π’“π’Šπ’π’ˆ π‘ͺ𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒕'𝒔 π’…π’‚π’–π’ˆπ’‰π’•π’†π’“, 𝒂𝒏𝒅 π‘―π’Šπ’ˆπ’‰ 𝑳𝒐𝒓𝒅...
186K 5.2K 84
*seize the night* Like father, like son people say. Especially when Nyx, the son of a certain High Lord, suddenly lays eyes on a mortal girl. The you...
57.5K 1.3K 17
Azriel, the spymaster of the Night Court, one of the most powerful Illyrians to walk Prythian. He was damaged, he was broken, and he thought himself...