Not Her

By Adwitiya_Bagchi

"I don't want to become a mother." This line is a taboo for women in some parts of the world, and so was for... More

Hello!
1. Meeting ...
2. Hooked ...
3. Choices ...
4. Bells and Lipstick ...
5. Honeymoon Phase ...
6. Sharing ...
7. Plannings ...
8. In-laws ...
9. Lost ...
10. Missing ...
11. Disinterest ...
12. Unsure ...
13. Conflicted ...
14. Discoveries ...
15. Shunned ...
16. Failed Attempts ...
17. Opportunities ...
18. Revelations ...
19. Fighting a Loosing Battle ...
20. Irony ...
End ... ?
21. Loosing ...
22. Unaccepted ...
24. New faces ...
25. Extra ...
26. Absence ...
27. Dumbfound ...
28. Joshi ...
29. Encounter ...
30. Bashed ...
31. Big decisions ...
32. The past ...
33. Overwhelmed ...
34. Family ...
35. Desires ...
36. Destiny ...
37. Falak ...
38. Best-friends ...
39. Convincing ...
40. Judgment Day
41. Realisations ...
42. Promotions ...
43. Goodbye ... ?
44. Thriving ...
Epilogue
Character Aesthetics
Cast
To draw the conclusion ...

23. Settling in ...

4.5K 308 32
By Adwitiya_Bagchi

Khusi was summoned in the Principal's office. She didn't know why she was called for, but the snickers and smirks of her fellow colleagues, when she was on her way towards the Principal's room, didn't sit well.

She appeared in front of her office, unaware of what games destiny was playing with her.

"Miss?"

"Khusi, come on in." Miss. Goenka didn't know how to deliver her the news without breaking the heart of the poor little girl. When she was just starting to settle down in the town, leaving behind her past, another ginormous blonder was going to shatter her.

It had been difficult for her but now she was about to get another shock.

"Here's your transfer letter." She decided not to beat around the bush, cause she didn't know how to answer Khusi's questions. Guilt nipped at her throat and her stomach churned.

Khusi eyes' widened at Ms. Archana's statement, her heart missing a beat as she gazed at her with bewilderment. "I'm sorry? Transfer?"

"Yes. Due to your incompetency to teach students of class VII and VIII, we're demoting you back to the primary section. As this is a middle school, you are transferred to Chamba."

Khusi's jaw fell open as soon as she heard the words. Her stomach clenched, and she almost felt dizzy for a second, stumbling backwards.

"Khusi!?" Ms. Archana shot up on her feet, when Khusi stared back at her with nonplussed eyes, shaking her head.

"I don't understand." Khusi couldn't digest the fact that she was getting demoted. She had never slacked off at work, never let her mental state affect her classes, never gave anyone even a minute reason to question her abilities. And there she was, getting demoted.

"I am sorry Khusi but a lot of the guardians have complained to me about you, along with your colleagues. You haven't been taking classes properly since the first day, verbally abusing students and behaving violently. I don't have a choice. Here, take the letter. You need to leave as soon as possible and report in our branch school at Chamba. Goodbye." Miss. Archana was too ashamed of her decision, but she was helpless against the authorities. Unsure of what to say anymore, she thrusted the letter in Khusi's hand and turned away from her, unable to look at her miserable face.

Khusi felt like she was choking on her breath, as an invisible hand closed around her throat, her vision blurry, but not with tears. She maneuvered out of the Principal's room, and sat down on a bench beside the door, the transfer letter cinched around her fingers.

Why was she getting tossed from one place to another? Why was fate playing dirty games with her? Now that she was somewhat settled down in Shimla, after being there for three months, she was getting kicked out of this place too?

On top of everything else, she couldn't come in terms with the fact that she got demoted. Her heart clenched painfully, as she scowled down at the letter in her hand and sighed tiredly.

How many tests would God make her go through?

*******

As Khusi dumped the very few of her belongings, into a small cardboard box, Rajeev appeared behind her gulping heavily. He didn't know the impact of his words would be so strong that Khusi would get transferred.

"Hey," Rajeev called her out, but Khusi didn't respond. She was in a daze, picking out her stuff from her drawer in the staff room. Simi and her minions stood in their usual corner scoffing and snickering at Khusi's tear stricken face.

As soon as Khusi was done, she shut her drawer and took a deep breath, unaware of Rajeev standing behind her.

"Khusi," he tried once more. This time Khusi did hear it, but decided to ignore him. Just like he had been ignoring her since that day. She felt desolate and empty, not in the mood to talk to anybody. It's not like anyone would miss her there.

Khusi was just about to walk away when Rajeev appeared in front of her blocking her path. She scowled and looked away, unable to gaze at Rajeev.

"I am sorry Khusi. I didn't know ... " Rajeev tried to apologise, but Khusi wasn't in the state of her mind to hear his stupid excuses.

"Save it," she clipped, holding out her palm, gesturing Rajeev to stay mute. Heaving a deep sigh, Khusi strolled out of the building.

Never had Khusi ever felt so isolated and outcasted. Her empty eyes raked over the school campus, for the last time, before she dumped the cardboard box in a cab and left the premises.

*******

Her head rested on the bus window, trying to mitigate her agitated heart. Since the moment her demotion was announced, she felt as if she was in a daze. Going forward, not because she wanted too, but because she had no choice but to move forward.

Everything around her had turned grey and almost invisible, she was barely conscious of her surroundings, just aware of surviving her difficult life.

The bus drove over a wooden bridge, rattling. Her head slightly smashed to the window and she quickly pulled it away, rubbing the spot. It was a small river, on the opposite of which she could see the town's entry checkpoint.

The long journey of 9 hours ended after 15 hours, when Khusi stepped down from the bus, in the town's bus-stop. The rest of her products would be arriving two days later through the courier truck.

Her eyes raked over the tumultuous crowd around her, all in hurry, living their life. A soft wind blew past her and her untamed baby hairs flew over her face, escaping the messy ponytail.

Taking a deep breath, she stood there and joined her palms together, praying to the almighty deity, Goddess Durga, seeking her for guidance in the upcoming trek and some mental peace. A single tear glided down her left cheek and her lips moved silently.

"Hai ma Durga, ebr amai aktu shanti dio. Ami j boroi klanto"

(Oh Goddess Durga, I'm too tired. Please spare me some peace now.)

Clutching the handle of her trolley, Khusi hailed a cab and told the driver the address.

*******

Khusi's gaze halted over the small one storied house, in the middle of a slightly upraised hill, 7 minutes walking distance from the suburban valley area of Chamba. It was surrounded with ginormous trees, as the morning sun rays reflected against the dew drops sitting on the juniper leaves.

Heaving a deep sigh, Khusi took out the house keys from her bag and strolled into the furnished house, huge white sheets covering the furniture, her trolley tucked tightly in her grip.

The place reeked of a pungent smell due to the lack of fresh air, covered with a thin layer of dust and cobwebs decorating each corner.

Putting the keys back in her bag, she ambled towards the store room, looking for a broom and mop. As instructed by Ms. Archana, she found the items in their designated places and quickly yanked the jacket off her body, a broom in one hand and dustpan in the other.

There was a lot of work to do.

*****

Khusi's body slumped down on a couch in the mini joined dining and living room, as she puffed out a tired breath. Working for 5 hours continously, and turning the place spotless wasn't a matter of joke. A twinge of pride bloomed in Khusi's chest as she saw how she had cleaned the whole house on her own, and rather quickly.

A small smile grazed her lips when she recalled her last memory with Ms. Archana.

She had been waiting for Khusi at the bus stop in Shimla, early morning that day. When Khusi saw her she refused to talk to her, until she desperately latched Khusi's palms, her face contorted in grief.

"Khusi, I am really sorry. I know you don't deserve what is happening to you, but I had no option. Please forgive me, and I want to give you something ... "

Khusi scowled at Ms. Archana attempt to bribe her but she didn't pulled away her hand.

Archana handed over Khusi a pair of keys and gripped her shoulder, her lips trembling with regret. Khusi couldn't keep her hard face for too long as she saw the Principal ma'am crying infront of her.

"I am not trying to win you over or something Khusi. But I believe after what you faced here, you might not want to live at the teacher's quarter. I know how desolated and lonely they could be. Keep this. It's my house keys. I am born and brought up in Chamba and I had purchased this house just a few months before I got transfered here, in Shimla. It had been locked up for almost 10 years now. Might just put my home to a better use."

Khusi quickly shook her head, a rejection sitting on the tip of her tongue, when Ms. Archana squeezed Khusi's hand. "Please Khusi. Keep them. You don't have to decide now but I want you to have them. This would lift a small ounce of guilt off my shoulders."

In the end, Khusi did accept Ms. Archana's apology and kept the keys, dreading to stay in the dull and cold quarters alone, again.

*******

Vote and Comment, 🌟💬

if you're liking my story 😇🥰

See'Ya 💫❤

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 48K 49
"Don't you dare think that I will ever say yes to marry you because today I will tell my parents that I don't want to marry you" I said smirking and...
401K 14.2K 37
Ekansh Malhotra-a 28 year old arrogant, rude, businessman, CEO of Malhotra Industries.By hard work achieve success at a very young age.people address...
1.9M 71.1K 37
.... am I that bad to be loved, wanted. I am an unwanted daughter, now i will be an unwanted wife. God what's your problem. Why am i so unwanted in t...
841K 62K 33
β™‘Book one in Destiny seriesβ™‘ **If you are interested in cute and romantic story line then this the exact story** ************** "Meri aanko me hi dek...