Pursuit of the Whole

By QuinnCatcher

Sometimes Julia wonders if werewolves are born with half of their soul. If that isn't the case, then why woul... More

Pursuit of the Whole
I. Our School
II. Trouble
III. School Loser
IV. The Werewolves
V. Crazy Side
VI. Three Cavities
VII. Best Dad Ever
VIII. Big Mistake
IX. The Nightwalkers Pack
X. To Find My Mate
XI. Taunting
XII. Hermit
XIII. Beautiful Emeralds
XIV. Thank You
XV. A Stalker
XVI. Pass the Peas
XVII. Kai Problem
XVIII. Nah
XIX. Found His Mate
XX. More Bottles
XXI. Indecisive Self
XXII. Hunters
XXIII. Paint Me the Villain
XXIV. Playing Hero
XXVI. You're Here
XXVII. Sup
XXVIII. Full Undivided Attention
XXIX. Another Julia
XXX. Disease
XXXI. Just a Friend
XXXII. Good Memories
XXXIII. No Value
XXXIV. Unintentionally
XXXV. Quickie
XXXVI. Safe and Sound
XXXVII. Obligation
XXXVIII. Or Later
XXXIX. Date to Talk
XL. What the World Has to Offer
XLI. February
XLII. A Hunt for Kai
XLIII. Quick Buck
XLIV. Baking Potatoes
XLV. DVDs
XLVI. Three Months
XLVII. Murderers
XLVIII. Peeing in a Bottle
XLIX. Confidential
L. Anger
LI. Neutral
LII. Two Predators
LIII. Most Pitiful Person
LIV. That Man
LV. Like a Horse
LVI. To Be Better
LVII. Total Victory
LVIII. Always Behind You
Pursuit of the Whole: Mark (Book 2)

XXV. Bear the Consequences

2.7K 99 1
By QuinnCatcher

"Could we look inside?"

"I prefer you all don't. She's sleeping."

"The house is clear." Another foreign voice. "There aren't any traces or scent of the boy." I should thank Marcelo for the scentless perfume.

"Alright. I appreciate your cooperation. And we apologize for the disturbance."

"Not a problem."

The front door closed. I exhaled dramatically before I made my way towards the window. Sneakily, I inched to the corner to see many people out in the rain. They're doing another street check. For them to do two, they must be desperate for Kai.

When the morning came, the news arrived with it. There are more protesters in front of the sheriff's station and mall.

They want Kai dead.

All because of the recent murder.

There's no concrete evidence, but they all assume Kai did it.

I press my head further into my palms.

"Good morning to you too, sunshine," dad says.

I exhale, "Dad."

Dad lowers his cup of orange juice, and mom stops cutting the waffle. They look at each other for a moment, "Yes?"

"I have a problem."

He puts the cup down, "What is it?"

"I think I'm going to go to prison."

"Pardon?"

"I'm going to prison." A horn honk. "I'm going to prison." I grabbed my backpack and made my way out of the kitchen.

"She gets weirder by the day," mom mumbles. "She gets that from you."

I can only imagine what type of face dad is making. It's not pretty.

When I got into the car, I couldn't help but look at the attic.

"What's wrong?" Brenda asks.

There is this uncomfortable sensation inside of me. A feeling that seems to eat me away by the second. Of course, I know what it is.

"Nothing."

By the time we got to school, everyone was in an uproar. The topic of Kai somehow manages to make its way back into peoples' mouths. Except this time, it was much more toxic.

"That little fucker should die. Let's do it. Let's hunt him down."

The case hasn't been thoroughly investigated, and they're blaming it on a little boy.

"Hi. Hi. Hi!" Natalie pops up. She hands us each a flier.

"What's this?" I ask.

"We're having a pre-winter formal."

Brenda and I look at each other, "What?"

"Everyone is gathering together to hunt for the werewolf," Vicki replies.

"You're kidding," I said. "That wolf is just a kid, and we're not sure whether or not he killed someone."

"Oh, we know," Vicki said. "But, it's just for fun. No one is serious about it."

The paper crumbles in my hand, and I walk away.

"What's up with her?"

"I'll see you guys later." Brenda rushed after me, "Hey. What's going on?" She whispers.

"What's going on?" I said in a low voice. "What's going on!"

No.

This is not where I break.

My lip quivers for a moment before I inhale a deep breath. I swallow the words that I desperately want to escape.

When the bell rang, I was ready to head to class. But Brenda wouldn't let me. She grabs me by the wrist and drags me towards the janitor's closet.

She blocks me from leaving the Bleach-infested room, "I know something is going on."

"Nothing is going on."

"Yes! Something is going on!" Brenda circles for a moment, "Julia." She grabs me by the hands, "Don't do this. Not again."

"D-Do what?"

"This! You're shutting us out again!"

"I'm no-"

"Yes! You are. You're acting the same as when we were in elementary school after-" Brenda stops talking. "Is it Lana? Do I need to talk to her?" She fixes her coat and pulls up the giant sleeves.

"Please-"

"I don't fucking care if she is the chosen one." Her mockery voice surfaces. "I will beat her into the next life. She can complete her chosen one task then."

"Brenda-"

"She's mated to an alpha." The mockery voice only intensified. "I'll beat him too."

I grab her arm and pull her back, "Stop. Stop. Stop." We both know she can't take on an alpha. Especially since she only trained three weeks out of the year and never actually fought a werewolf. "It's not Lana or Cole or any of those other guys."

Brenda stops moving towards the door and exhales dramatically. "Oh, thank goodness. I'm pretty sure I can't even take down a warrior."

"It's something else."

"Something you can't tell even...me?"

At that moment, I pondered. Should I tell Brenda about Kai? That would take a lot out of my chest. Marcelo knows, but I can't even make a decent conversation with him half of the time.

He makes me so anxious all the time.

It's not like I don't trust Brenda.

I trust her.

I love her.

And that's it.

I'm afraid of dragging someone I love down.

If it's me, I can bear the consequences.

But I can't live knowing someone I love is hurt.

Brenda held one of my hands, "Remember what I said when we were younger?" She grabs the other, "We're a team. Your pain is my pain."

When I was in the hospital, Brenda stayed by my side.

I didn't have to cry.

She did it for me.

She yelled at me more than my parents.

And when I thought she couldn't do anymore.

She did.

She found the culprits with Brian and Eric. The three groups up and beat everyone involved - or as many people as possible.

Three elementary school students against a group of nearly grown adults.

Sounds ridiculous even thinking about it.

They ended up in the hospital with me.

"My house," I said. "After school. Bring Eric and Brian."

"It's that important?"

"I can't talk about...Not here...Not in public space."

Brenda nods, "Got it."

Throughout the day, Eric and Brian continue to stare at me. They didn't say anything, but I knew Brenda told them I had something important to say after school.

"Can you two stop staring at me?"

Eric and Brian turn their backs towards me.

I look at Brenda.

"You know they're going to be like that until school ends."

Not too long after, school ended - well, at least for us. Eric went 120 miles and swerved into the space in front of my house. He turns around with Brian, "We're here. Let's go." Brian and Eric rush out of the car.

When Brenda and I didn't leave fast enough, they grabbed our backpacks. Each guy throws us like a potato sack over their shoulders and runs into the house.

They threw us on the couches and slammed the front door shut.

"Alright. School is over. We're at your house!" Brian and Eric shake in front of us like eager puppies.

I exhale lightly before I flip off the couch. "Follow me." The four of us walk around the house. I had to make sure my parents weren't home. After I check all the rooms, I head inside my room.

I closed the door.

I'm not sure about the rest of the house, but I know my room is not bugged. I don't trust anybody entering the house and not leaving something behind.

"I need everyone in the center."

Everyone gathers at the center.

"Don't say anything until I show it to you."

Their eyes followed every action I took. I could tell. When I went on my toes and grabbed the string.

I watch as their eyes widen when I pull down the staircase.

"What the-" Brenda elbowed Brian.

"Come on," I said.

Each step seems to squeak louder than before, in an almost ominous kind of tune. Maybe, it wasn't a good idea to show them. When I feel a hand rest on my finger, I look back to see Brenda. I didn't realize I had stopped walking.

Brenda smiles softly.

It was a reassuring action.

I continued to walk upward until we were all in the attic.

"Woah," they all said simultaneously.

"Cool! So, you got a cave!" Brian's eyes wander around. I can imagine how badly he wants to touch everything.

"This isn't the secret," I said. "Kai."

In the attic corner, wrapped in a large blanket, Kai creeps out until he is behind me. Softly, I cradle his head.

"It's....It's-" Brenda couldn't form a complete sentence. It was as clear as day who it was.

It's the little boy they had seen on all the news stations and posters across town.

"Everybody. Say hello to Kai Schmidt."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

147K 8.6K 18
Maria can't explain what she is or what she's done. After all, it shouldn't be possible for a human to conjur fire from nothing but pure will, but th...
1.9K 80 25
Nicole Haught arrived in Purgatory and felt different way . Something within her called for Purgatory . Initially she was not sure what it was but w...
385K 13.8K 31
Angel has been on her own for what feels like the majority of her life. Fresh out of foster care, she must try and make her life better than everyon...
11.6M 318K 34
"Will you be mine?" he asked me in a husky voice. I stared at him apprehensively for a moment, thinking over his proposal carefully before finally se...