If I Say Yes [UNFINISHED]

By MaybeDrarry

- A Darry fanfiction - by MaybeDrarry > set in fourth year upwards Draco Malfoy and Harry Potter have always... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - A New Year
Chapter 2 - Changes
Chapter 3 - Parallels
Chapter 4 - The First Task
Chapter 5 - Friends
Chapter 6 - The Yule Ball
Chapter 7 - The Second Task
Chapter 8 - Our Secret
Chapter 9 - Illusions & Confusions
Chapter 10 - The Truth Comes Out
Chapter 11 - Is It True?
Chapter 12 - Let Me Down Slowly
Chapter 13 - The Balance of Nature
Chapter 15 - The Plan

Chapter 14 - The Penny Drops

113 9 1
By MaybeDrarry

"Well aren't you the brightest wand in the box."

Draco looked at Harry angrily from his position against the tree. The blood had begun to revive his body and he could feel the life return to it. He flexed his hands and the shivering that had wracked his body for many hours had finally subsided. He looked down at his hands and could see the colour return to his once pale skin.

Standing on shaky legs, Draco looked at the boy in front of him. Harry mirrored Draco's movements.

"What kind of idiotic Gryffindor hero are you, Harry?!" Draco exploded, fists clenched by his sides.

Harry avoided his eyes but knew that they were flashing an angry shade of silver.

"You decided that the best possible solution to all of this is to go on a suicide mission? What an utter, stupid, idiotic, pompous git you are!" Draco was breathing heavily. "You decided that out of every life you could have chosen, you chose to sacrifice yourself? What kind of Gryffindor heroism is this, Harry?!"

Harry's head snapped up at Draco's outburst and his eyes rested cooly on him.

"It wasn't the best solution, it was the only solution," Harry grit through his teeth, his nostrils flaring. "I wasn't just going to leave you to die!"

"You're an idiot, Potter," Draco shook his head and let out a short laugh.

Harry tried not to let Draco's words sting, but he couldn't help it. He knew Draco would be angry but he was just trying to help. He didn't want Draco to die. He wouldn't allow it.

Draco rounded on Harry once again. "How dare you let me drink the blood before telling me the consequences! How dare you choose to sacrifice yourself out of everyone else on the entire planet!"

"I wasn't just going to let some innocent person die in your place, Draco! That wouldn't be fair-"

"THIS ISN'T FAIR, HARRY!" Draco roared, storming over to his mate, inches away from him now. "How could you do this to me?" Draco's voice wavered as he looked deep into Harry's eyes.

Harry swallowed and tried to force his tears down. "I'm sorry, Draco, I-"

"You're sorry!" Draco scoffed, turning away from the boy, shaking his head and running a hand through his hair. "This isn't something you can just apologise for, Harry." He turned back to face him. "You... you're going to die," Draco choked out the last word.

"Draco, I..." Harry didn't know what to say. What could he say? He'd just told his Veriae he was going to die. Draco would have to live with this for the rest of his life. But there had been no other way.

"Don't you know that once a Veriae's mate dies, that they're subject to an endless suffering and painful turmoil?!" Draco yelled, panic settling within him. He couldn't go through that kind of pain, not again... Not for eternity.

"The Higher Ups told me it wouldn't be that way," Harry said calmly. "They told me that that can only happen when the mate has accepted the Veriae, not after. This way, it'll just be as if I never existed..." Harry trailed off, whispering the last sentence, feeling sick.

Draco looked at him, horrified. A life without Harry? As if he never existed? No.

"I'm going to see them," Draco said decisively, cutting Harry off. "I'm going to see the Higher Ups. They'll be able to fix this. They'll listen to me, I'm one of them."

Walking on unsteady legs, he brushed past Harry forcefully.

"Draco, no!" Harry grabbed Draco's arm to stop him. A shock ran up both boys' arms, but not the painful electric one before, this was different. Like before.

Harry's eyes widened. "We can touch."

Draco's eyes filled with tears as his arm slid from Harry's grasp into his hand, their fingers interlocking.

"Harry..." Draco whispered, stepping closer to the boy. "I need to fix this... I won't have you die in my place. Please."

Draco looked imploringly at Harry. He cared for this boy so much. He couldn't bare to lose him. This couldn't happen, he wouldn't allow it.

"No, Draco," Harry replied firmly, taking Draco's other hand in his so that both pairs of hands were clasped firmly together. "You can't undo it for a second time, it doesn't work that way. There's nothing you can do. Not this time."

Draco closed his eyes as a tear managed to escape down his cheek. He pulled Harry to him and rested their foreheads together, breathing heavily.

"How long do you have?" Draco croaked out, wrapping his arms around Harry's waist.

"Three days," Harry whispered, his voice cracking and barely audible.

Draco's head shot up.

"Three days?" he asked, horrified. Three days. No. No, this couldn't happen. There wasn't enough time. He had so much more he wanted to do, so much he needed to say.

"Harry..." Draco let out a broken sob as he pulled the dark-haired boy towards him fast and wrapped him in a tight embrace. He didn't want to let go. He couldn't. They had been through too much together. This was so unfair.

"Draco, please don't cry..." Harry whispered, looking up at the boy's tear-stained face, moving blonde strands of hair out of his eyes. "I want to make the most of the time I have left with you."

Draco let out a barely audible whimper before bringing his face down to Harry's in a desperate, feverish kiss.

Oh, how Harry had missed this. The soft touch of Draco's lips, gentle and perfect against his own. The warmth, love, confusion, hurt and anger that flowed between them stirred intense feelings in Harry as a tear fell lightly down his own face.

Draco moved his lips desperately against Harry's, pulling the boy into his body as tight as he could, refusing to let him go. He couldn't accept this, he wouldn't. This couldn't be happening.

The blonde closed his eyes, a tear flowing from his right eye as he savoured the taste of the boy he so deeply cared for.

Draco pulled away from Harry all too suddenly. This was too much.

"No," he whispered breathlessly.

"What?" Harry breathed as his eyes shot open.

"I- I can't do this, I'm sorry. How could you do this to me, Harry?" Draco choked out, stumbling from the boy's embrace, clutching at his heart. "Do you know... do you know how much this hurts? How could you do this..."

Incoherent mumbles fell from the blonde boy's lips as he looked at his mate with nothing but pure hurt behind his now deep blue eyes.

"Draco, please-" Harry made a move to grab Draco back into his arms; grab him back to safety, into his embrace. Their brief moment of bliss had been pulled from under Harry so suddenly, he was left alone in utter darkness. He should have known it was too good to be true.

Draco pulled away, clenching his fists and squeezing his eyes shut in an attempt to block out the pain clogging head like a thick smoke.

"I need you, Harry. How could you do this?" Draco repeated, eyes still shut tight, shaking his head. His voice was croaky and cracking. Harry could feel the pain laced within it and it cut right through him like the blade of a dagger.

"Draco... it was the only way. Please, I don't want our last days to be like this!" Harry threw up his arms, defeated and helpless, tears streaming down his face.

"Your last days, Harry, not mine. You're leaving me, in case you hadn't forgotten." Draco sneered at him nastily, the pure hurt and pain he felt all rushing to the surface at once, taking itself out on the innocent boy before him. "You already broke my heart once, now you've just gone and done it again. How many more ways are there for you to rip it from my chest?"

He could tell from Harry's face he'd hurt him, but in that moment he didn't care. All he felt was pain. The bastard really had to go all Gryffindor on him and sacrifice himself in order for Draco to live. In that moment, all Draco saw was red. In that moment, he hated Harry Potter.

Draco refused to let the painful memories make their way into his brain as he turned his back on Harry, walking stiffly and unbalanced as the blood hadn't quite fully healed his body yet.

The memories of the two of them dancing on Christmas Eve night, exactly one year ago. Draco refused to remember the way his lips felt on Harry's, the way his skin electrified every time he and Harry touched... He refused to remember the first time he'd brought Harry to their special place, refused to remember how his eyes had lit up, how he had looked completely and utterly beautiful.

Draco ignored the pleads from Harry as he turned to walk shakily towards the vines, hurt and pain consuming him as tears fell freely down his pale face, leaving his mate behind him; a near parallel of the way Harry had left him just a few months before.

----------------------------------------------------

Harry walked dejectedly through the corridors of Hogwarts, eventually making it up into Gryffindor tower.

He'd looked everywhere for Draco, even checked the Marauder's map to see where he was, but Harry had figured out long ago that the map didn't show him such ancient creatures as the Veriae race. But he'd checked it still, just in case.

Ignoring the rest of the Gryffindors in the common room, Harry plodded up the stairs to the boys dormitory, flopping down angrily onto the bed. Burying his head in his arms, Harry let out a muffled yell of frustration.

This wasn't how it was supposed to go. Harry knew Draco would be angry with him, yes, but... he also thought he'd understand. Harry only had three days to live, and Draco wanted to waste them like this? It wasn't fair. He was just trying to protect Draco, this was the only way! He couldn't have just left him to die! He'd done the right thing, hadn't he?

"Merlin, you look like hell."

Harry's head shot up at the sound of the voice that had interrupted his inner monologue.

Ron. Of course. Just brilliant.

"Mate, where have you been? What the hell is going on?" Ron asked, looking at Harry incredulously.

"Not now, Ron," Harry moved to leave the bed, searching through his bedding and trunk to find his invisibility cloak. He hadn't wanted to see Ron, or Hermione. It was too painful. He couldn't tell them, how could he? How could he tell them what he'd done? How could he tell them that their best friend was going to die in three days time? He couldn't. He couldn't cause them such pain like that. It was better if he didn't tell them. What they didn't know wouldn't hurt them.

The more Harry thought about it, the more he felt as if he'd made a terrible, terrible mistake. He felt like an awful person. An awful friend. And an awful mate.

Ron made a move to grab Harry's arm, but missed. "You and Hermione are keeping secrets, from me, I know it! I'm your best friend! If this is about some stupid girl-"

"I said not now, Ron!" Harry still wasn't looking at his friend, anger beginning to surge through his veins. He couldn't deal with this, not now.

"No!" Ron objected, walking round the bed towards Harry. "No, you tell me what's going on right this instant, Harry, or I swear I'll-"

"IT'S DRACO! OK, RON? DRACO IS A VERIAE AND I'M HIS MATE!"

A stunned silence fell over the two boys, who stopped still, staring silently at each other.

Ron simply looked bewildered. "Draco Malfoy? He's a vertebrae? Harry, what the hell?"

Harry closed his eyes, frustration gripping him as he realised painfully that he couldn't take his words back. He had to tell Ron everything. What perfect timing this all was.

"Not a vertebrae, Ron," Harry said through gritted teeth, as he rubbed a hand down his face. "A Veriae... The Veela are descended from them. They're... magical creatures."

Ron's eyes were wide as he took in what he was hearing. "O-oh... Malfoy? He's one of them?"

"Yes," Harry looked at Ron dejectedly as he sat down on the bed, sighing. Ron was not going to take this well. "And I'm his mate..."

Ron's mouth twisted in disgust.

"Like... soulmate?"

Harry nodded, not knowing where to look. This was very awkward.

Ron looked as if Harry had just grown a second head. "B-but, Malfoy?!" He spluttered. "You and that slimy git are... together?

"It's not like I could stop it!" Harry retorted defensively. "There was nothing I could do! It just sort of... happened!" The dark-haired boy threw up his arms in exasperation.

"Merlin, Harry," Ron said, still staring at Harry with the same expression. "Well, how are we going to get you out of this?"

Harry looked at him, his mouth agape. "I can't get out of this, Ron! We're destined mates! I... feel things... for him..." Harry chose his words carefully, noting Ron's disgusted reactions.

Realisation spread over Ron's face as he realised this was not something Harry wanted to get out of... He liked Malfoy!

"Merlin, Harry," Ron repeated, apparently knowing no other way to express his shock. "Well, how did you find out?"

Harry bit his lip as he realised Hermione hadn't said anything to Ron.

"I... It was-"

"Oh, Harry!"

A voice from the dormitory entrance cut him off, and before he knew what was happening he was being bowled over by a head of frizzy, curly hair.

"Hermione, careful!" Harry was startled as his friend untangled herself from him.

"Harry, I was so worried about you!" Hermione exclaimed. "Is everything alright? Are you okay, is Draco okay? What happened?"

"Hermione, um..." Harry glanced pointedly behind her and Hermione's eyes widened as she turned to face the third of the trio.

"Ron..." Hermione trailed off, surprise etched onto her face. "I.. didn't see you there," She swallowed.

Ron's jaw was locked. "You knew about this, didn't you?!" He rounded on Hermione, looking betrayed, his tone accusatory. "You knew about Harry and Malfoy and their weird little connection, didn't you!"

"Ron, I can explain-"

"No! First Harry, now you! I knew you were keeping secrets from me, Hermione!" Ron bellowed through the dormitory, anger and betrayal evident on his features.

"It wasn't my secret to tell! Ron, I'm sorry... Harry just needed some time. I figured it out by myself, Harry never told me anything outright either!" Hermione explained hurriedly.

Ron took a deep breath and unclenched his fists as he realised what Hermione was saying.

"Okay..." He nodded in understanding. "I get it."

Both Harry and Hermione breathed a sigh of relief in unison.

"So..." Ron asked awkwardly. "What happened then?"

Harry took a deep breath and began to explain everything from the moment on the train, all the way up until he'd rejected Draco. He didn't tell Ron about how he'd gone to see the Higher Ups, but he had a feeling Hermione already knew, even though he hadn't told her anything. Hermione was very clever, strangely like Dumbledore, Harry thought. She just knew things.

"So that's why Malfoy wanted to speak to you, Hermione, wasn't it? At the third task last year." Ron was beginning to put the pieces together. "He wanted to know why Harry was acting strangely. Because, he'd just found out what Draco really was?"

Ron looked pleased with himself as the other two nodded.

"But... by that logic..." Ron furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. "Shouldn't Malfoy be dead, if you rejected him? I've seen him prancing round the school, Harry, he looks very much alive to me."

Hermione also had the same expression on her face, wanting to know the answer too. She wasn't sure as her suspicions hadn't been confirmed just yet.

Harry gulped. This was getting complicated. He couldn't tell them what he'd done. He just couldn't. They would be distraught. There was no way he could tell them that he'd taken Draco's place.

"He's not dead because.. er..." Come on, Harry, think fast. "Er... it takes time... to take full effect... you know? Um, there's... things that have to happen. It's, er... complicated." Yes, well done Harry. Harry inwardly smacked himself. He sounded like an idiot.

Ron seemed to take to this though, and simply shrugged. Hermione, however, was looking at Harry very skeptically, but didn't say anything. Harry shrunk under her gaze, not meeting her eye.

Ron opened his mouth to ask another question. "So... you don't mind? That Malfoy is a vertebrae I mean... because you said you were still together; that you have feelings for him and such?" Ron looked very confused. "I mean, he's going to die, Harry!"

Harry bristled at this. The conversation was flowing too far in the wrong direction.

"I- look it's complicated, Ron, I'll explain another time, when I feel less exhausted." Harry yawned in an attempt to emphasise this.

Ron didn't push any further which Harry was grateful for.

Getting up from the bed, Harry felt around the covers for his invisibility cloak. Finally spying it under his pillow, Harry grabbed it and bundled it into his arms.

"I'm going for a walk," Harry said shortly as he made his way over to the dormitory door. "I need to clear my head."

Just as he was about to grab the handle, Harry stopped.

"Listen, guys..." Harry said quietly, turning back to his two friends. "I just want you to know that... No matter what happens, no matter what happens between me and Draco, or anything at all, I want you guys to know that you've been amazing friends to me these last few years and-"

Harry stopped, trying not to choke on the emotion his words were bringing up.

"I just want you to know I wouldn't change it for the world."

With that, Harry looked up at his two friends one last time, and turned silently to leave the room.

He didn't miss the questioning look Hermione gave him as he left.

------------------------------------------------------

Draco sat quietly at the edge of the lake, laid against a large rock, chucking stones into the shallow water.

His emotions were flowing through him, slightly less so than earlier, but they were still prominent. He had felt angry at Harry earlier, but now... He simply felt pain. Harry was his destined mate, his one and only. And now he was leaving him.

Draco reached his sleeve up to dry yet another tear that fell down his face. How could he have let this happen? This was all his fault. If he had just told Harry sooner about what he really was, Harry might not have rejected him. They might be living happily together, no death, nothing.

Draco chucked another rock angrily into the water. It splashed loudly, echoing across the grounds, drops shining in the dusky light. It had been a whole day now, and he'd not seen Harry. That meant only two more days. Merlin, what had he done, turning away from Harry like that? He should have been there for him, protecting him like he promised he would! This wasn't Harry's fault. A price had to be paid...

Draco heaved a sigh and stifled a small sob as he laid his head back against the rock, blinking tears away as he stared up at the pinky-orange sky.

"Ahem."

A quiet cough sounded from the right of him. Draco shot up to his feet, his hand going straight to his wand instinctively.

"Malfoy, it's just me." Draco's eyes rested on the brown curly head of Hermione Granger.

"Granger?" Draco asked in disbelief, his eyebrows knitted together in confusion. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to speak to you..." Hermione said carefully as she stepped closer to the blonde boy. "It's about Harry."

Draco slowly lowered his wand as he noticed the girl's eyes glistening with tears. Shit.

"What's wrong?" Draco asked edgily. "Did something happen?"

Hermione shook her head as she walked past Draco and sat down on the large slab of rock behind them.

Draco followed, confused, but waited to let the girl speak.

"Harry..." Hermione let out a choked sob, evidently trying not to cry, but failing. "Harry's going to die, isn't he?"

Draco stood frozen, shocked at the question, unsure of what to say.

"I.. um.."

"I know he went to see someone, didn't he? He went to reverse the magic." Hermione said, looking up at Draco tearily.

"How did you-"

Hermione cut him off. "I've been doing my research," she laughed humourlessly, still half crying. "I wanted to know what was going on. Harry wouldn't say a thing."

Draco pressed his lips together and closed his eyes, walking steadily over to Hermione, sitting down next to her.

"He went to see the Higher Ups," Draco explained, by way of answer. "They're like the heads of the Veriae race. They demand a price to be paid for this kind of thing and so..."

"Is it true?" Hermione whispered, not ready to hear the answer. "Is Harry really going to die?"

Draco swallowed. He didn't want to talk about this, not now. He couldn't. He couldn't face up to the truth. It was too painful, it was too... real.

Draco pinched the bridge of his nose and simply nodded, not daring to look at Hermione's face.

He heard a choked sob coming from Hermione, and he looked up with wide eyes.

Without thinking, Draco awkwardly reached a hand out and patted Hermione's shoulder, not knowing what to say.

Hermione looked up at him, surprised, and gave him a small smile of gratitude.

"He'll be okay," Draco said brokenly, trying to convince himself much more than Hermione. How? How would Harry be okay? There was nothing Draco could do now, this was out of his hands.

The girl drew a deep breath and dried her eyes, nodding forcefully.

"He will be," Hermione agreed, looking into Draco's grey eyes. "He will be because..." She sighed and looked off into the distance.

"Malfoy, I think... I think I might know a way we can save Harry."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

979K 30.8K 61
《 c o m p l e t e d 》 One late afternoon, after plotting with Pansy, Hermione and Ron decided to steal Harry's phone and change most of his contacts'...
1.2K 26 16
During summer vacation after his fifth year at Hogwards, Harry can't stop thinking about something he overheard Draco say... that Draco has a crush o...
113K 4K 20
After the war, students who didn't get to complete seventh year are invited back. How is Harry going to be treated now he is the saviour of the wizar...
511K 15.3K 63
"Well, Malfoy, you won't tell me, but I will find out your secrets." Draco Malfoy has secrets. Lots of them. Returning to his 6th year, many no lon...