QUITS

By justmusings

[COMPLETED] QUITS - in British English /kwits/ adjective (of two people) on even terms, especially because a... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Epilogue

Chapter 12

1.9K 112 9
By justmusings

Lisa hurriedly pulls the car keys out of the ignition after she had parked the car, almost had to run to the door and cranes her neck to find where Jennie is sitting.

When she did, she makes big steps, swiftly avoiding collision in the process. She overslept, reason why she's 10 minutes late. Taking a nap was such a bad idea but her body needed healing after a tiring week.

"Hey. Sorry. Have you been waiting?" Lisa says while taking a sit across Jennie.

Jennie looks up from her phone with a smile and chuckles upon seeing the obvious panic in Lisa's face. "Not really. Didn't even notice the time."

Lisa's eyes are still half way open so Jennie continues. "How long did you take a nap?"

"I don't know. Probably 3 hours."

"No wonder, your eyes are still half way there."

Lisa embarrassingly turns her head away and blinks forcefully, in attempt to get rid of any signs. Lisa knows she's unsuccessful so she faces Jennie again with a small pout. "Sorry again for being late."

Jennie dismissed it by waving her hand, still smiling though. "All good. Let's order?"

"Let's."

They shared casual conversations while waiting for their orders and ignored their phones for the rest of it despite Jennie's phone going off a lot of times — it's him, he won't stop texting or calling. Well, they had an argument yesterday hence the constant reach out which pissed Jennie off even further.

Lisa couldn't stand it though.

"Uh, I think you should get that first."

"Nah, it's okay."

"That's maybe important."

"It is not. Trust me."

Lisa shakes her head. "No, go ahead and take it first. I won't go anywhere anyway."

Jennie stares at Lisa's firm and confident eyes, she sighs. "Okay. I'll be right back. Stay where you are." Grabs her phone and stands up.

Lisa chuckles. "Where else would I go? I'll be here."

Jennie excuses herself and goes straight to the exit of the restaurant to answer his call.

"Thank goodness you answered."

"What do you want, oppa?"

"You're still mad at me. I'm sorry. Please."

"Of course I am plus you've been constantly calling me and that's pissing me off even more."

"Okay okay. I am sorry. I am sorry for pressuring you to make us official last night. I knew I went in too much and too far and I should've not done that. I am also sorry for the constant texts and calls, I couldn't sleep properly last night after our argument."

Jennie sighs. "It's all good. Just.. give me space to clear out my head."

"I will. I am sorry."

"Forgiven."

"Thank you. Have you had dinner?"

"I'm getting one with a friend."

"Who?" His tone immediately changes and Jennie catches that.

"A female friend. Can you please stop using that tone on me? You know damn well you don't have any hold of who I should be with. This is why Chahee hates you so much."

She hears him snorts mockingly. "She hated me even before knowing who I am."

"You gave her reasons to. Sigh." Jennie instinctively looks back only to see Lisa talking to a woman she doesn't recognize, that paints a frown on her face.

"Jennie, still there?"

"Huh? Yeah. What were you saying?"

"I said just let me know when I can call you again. Enjoy your dinner."

"Uh.. yeah. Sure." Jennie says, frowning while still looking at Lisa's smiling figure.

"Okay. I gotta go. Bye."

"Bye."

Jennie blindly ends the call with her eyes still glued at the duo inside. She does not understand why she's getting irritated by it so she huffs, exhaled loudly before walking back in.

Lisa immediately notices the walking figure, she smiles at Jennie only to see the slight frown.

"Hey, you okay?"

Jennie nods while taking a sit. "Yeah. Just talked to someone that's giving me headache but it's all good now."

"Okay." Lisa then looks back at the figure still standing beside her. "Oh Jennie. I forgot to introduce you. This is Mina. Mina, this is Jennie."

"I know, who does not recognize her? Hello Jennie." Mina says, smiling while offering a hand for a handshake.

She's pretty too. Jennie thought and meets the hand for a brief hand shake. "Hello Mina. Oh wait, Lisa's workmate?"

Mina smiles. "Yup and as much as I would like to have a longer chat, I need to go. My friends are waiting."

Lisa turns her body slightly to look at where Mina is pointing at. "Oh I see. Well, go. See you Monday."

"See you. Nice to meet you again Jennie." Mina slightly bows.

"Should I still pick you up by Monday? You still have the same schedule, right?"

Mina nods. "I do but it's all good, got my car just this morning. But you and the boys can hitch a ride."

Lisa smiles. "We'll decide on the spot. Bye."

Mina mirrors the smile, waves before walking away.

Lisa waves her hand at her group of friends before looking back only to see the still Jennie.

"I don't think you're okay."

Jennie did not even notice that she's frowning. "I am."

"You are not. Get rid of that frown, you'll get wrinkles." Jennie rolls her eyes at that making Lisa chuckle. "Girl, the attitude." Lisa continues.

Their orders soon came and they started eating. Lisa tried to lighten up the mood which was a success because the frown on Jennie's face was no longer there and the woman's already beaming at this point.

Lisa found herself in a dilemma though because her growing admiration towards Jennie is slowly rattling her. Not only was she not yet able to apologize to Jennie yet but also because she's falling for a straight woman. A doomsday.

Plus the memory in the parking lot few weeks ago still haunts her.

She turns silent for a while and Jennie notices that.

"You okay?"

Lisa nods. "Yeah, just have a lot of things in mind but it's all good. Were you saying something when I spaced out?"

"No, are you sure you're okay? We can talk about it."

Lisa shakes her head. "No, it's okay. Let's get the dessert."

Of course Jennie noticed and deep down she knew what's that all for. The look that Lisa is giving her screams everything. It's the look of regret, guilt and admiration — a combination that's set to hurt someone and that someone will surely be Lisa. She's now falling into Jennie's trap — hard.

***

"And we're here." Lisa said as she slowly parks the car. Jennie purposely rode a bus earlier so Lisa could give her a ride home. Of course Jennie did not tell Lisa about it, her alibi was that she missed having to commute.

Lisa won't ever allow her to ride a public transportation going home so she instinctively offered her a ride, Jennie immediately accepted — goal achieved for her.

"Thanks for the ride, Lisa."

"No problem. It saves you the hassle of riding a bus."

"True but I still love it."

"Oh? Should we drive back to the restaurant and let you ride a bus then?"

Jennie playfully rolls her eyes with a giggling Lisa. "Sassy little—"

"You are though."

"What?"

"Sassy and little."

"Yah!"

Lisa finally laughs this time. "I'm just kidding. Thank you for tonight. I'll see you Monday."

Jennie hesitates for a bit, she doesn't know why but the events from him to the things she was forced to witness with Lisa's friend, she threw all the cautions out of the window and she leans in to land another peck on Lisa's cheek.

It was so fast and so sudden that Lisa was not able to react — again! — and Jennie got away of that in a hurry — again! Lisa's blushing furiously, dazed and her heart is beating fast.

"Oh my God! Not again." Lisa grumbles after finally noticing Jennie's absence in her car.

Jennie is not looking any better though. She ran straight to her room, only dropping a brief "Good Evening." to her confused and surprised father who's watching news in the living room, she is blushing.

She decides to take a shower to cool herself down and get the memory of Lisa's blushing face off of her memory.

"Damn it. Damn it. Damn it."

***

"What's up with you?" Jongin asks after finishing his juice.

Lisa looks up from her plate. "Nothing."

"It's not nothing if you've been staring at your food for 10 minutes without even touching it."

"I don't know. I suddenly feel full."

"Let me have that then." He says, immediately grabbing the bacon sandwich off of Lisa's tray.

It's been three days since that incident and she still couldn't get that off her memory. The smoothness and softness of Jennie's lips against her cheek had been haunting her and would instantly make her blush — luckily, the café was bustling with crowd for yesterday's shift, effectively not giving her any time to daydream about it.

"And now you're blushing. Spill." Jongin says after swallowing his third bite.

"There's nothing to spill."

"Yeah sure. Tell that lie to others. Talk to me. What's making you all dazed and got you in a blushing frenzy?"

Lisa sighs while staring at Jongin who's still consuming the sandwich he got from her. "It's about Jennie."

Jongin raises an eyebrow while munching, edging her to keep talking. "You know we've been hanging out before we got the job at the café, right?"

Jongin nods. "Of course. And I also know you went out for a dinner last Saturday. Did something happen?"

Lisa sighs while Jongin's quietly taking a sip from his juice. "Something did happen. She.. uh.. kissed me." Jongin's eyes immediately widen and almost choked on  his food.

He grabs the newly opened box of juice from Lisa and drank it to flush down the chunk that was forcedly shoved down his throat. "Holy crap! Don't surprise me like that when I am eating!"

Lisa grins apologetically. "Sorry."

Jongin takes another sip before he scoots closer. "Where did she kiss you? Lips? What happened after that?" His voice is low and hush now, after all they're in the cafeteria getting their snack.

Lisa shakes her head. "Just the cheek and nothing happened after. I basically and literally sat frozen on my seat."

Jongin leans back. "Phew! Thought something did really happen."

"That's considered something to me."

"Right. Anyway, what happened before that?"

"We were just saying goodbye because I drove her to her house."

"And she just did that?"

Lisa nods.

"Did she say something after that?"

Lisa shakes her head.

"No explanation?"

Lisa nods again.

"And I didn't know turning into a love sick puppy would leave you on mute." He grins, Lisa throws her table napkin straight to Jongin's face which was caught by the latter anyway.

"Why did I even talk to you about this?" Lisa grumbles.

"I am just trying to let you loosen up. You've been so tensed and so occupied. Just talk to her about it."

"I don't even think I could stare at her without getting flustered after she did that twice."

"Aw look at yo— wait. Twice?"

Lisa nods. "One was over a week ago right after our first meal with Bam and Mina. We crossed paths and hung out for few hours. Still on the cheek by the way."

Jongin starts frowning. "Does she or does she not have someone who's courting her?"

Lisa shrugs, the parking lot incident did one full round of flash back, again. "Not sure but I heard rumors though."

"Okay red flag. Talk to her about this. She can't just go around giving you kisses like that and you.." Jongin points the end part of his bending straw at her. ".. you can't let her do that. I know you damn well, Lisa. You'd turn dumb and dangerously so easy going when you're attracted to someone."

Lisa sighs, holding her head by both of her hands that are propped on the table by her elbows. "I am so doomed."

"That you are unless you're brave enough to talk to her. Don't do the same mistakes you committed to that guy back in Thailand."

Lisa groans louder this time, making Jongin laugh. "Stop reminding me that! Gosh. I was an ignorant and arrogant teenager back then, alright?"

"That poor kid really thought he had a chance."

"Stop it."

Jongin sips from his juice again. "Going back. Talk to her about it. From the kiss to if she has someone courting her."

"And what if she does?"

Jongin shrugs. "You're the only one that could answer that."

Lisa sighs again. "Right. You're right. Okay enough with me. How are you and unnie?"

"We're good. I feel like she's going to get another period tantrums and crankiness in about a weak. I could feel it."

Lisa smirks. "Oh, has she been daring?"

Jongin rolls his eyes. "No TMI this time."

Lisa snorts, sticking the pointy end of the straw to her own drink. "When you say No TMI means nothing happened yet to the both of you."

It's Jongin's turn to groan. "Why do we know each other so much?"

"Wouldn't want it any other way." Finally taking a sip from her juice.

Jongin smiles. "That I'd agree."

***

"The teacher's day program is in 3 weeks and Joohyun wants the dance club to prepare something for them." Taemin says, all of the dance club members have gathered up by 9 o'clock in the morning.

Seulgi continues. "I know that the exams are also coming so we'd understand if you'll pass on this. Anyone?"

Much to Seulgi and Taemin's surprise and delight, no one bailed out. "You guys sure?" Taemin asks one more time.

Everyone nods so Taemin continues. "Okay, that's set then. We'll start practicing tomorrow, Friday by 6 o'clock in the evening."

Jongin slowly raises his hand after hearing that. "Yes Jongin?" Taemin says.

"Lisa and I have scheduled shift around that time."

"Scheduled shift? Both of you are working part times?"

Jongin nods. "Yeah. It's 5 to 9 plus clean up and close down for another 30 minutes."

"Ah, Jennie mentioned about it one time." Seulgi says. "How about.. we'll have the practice Saturday?"

"Fine by us." Lisa and Jongin said and others immediately agreed too.

"Okay, Saturday then. Next practice schedule will be decided after the first practice. We surely can't practice next weekends because it's exam week the following week." Taemin says.

"Right. Let us know your free schedules next week by this Saturday and we'll come up with something." Seulgi continues.

"And that's decided. Meeting adjourned."

Lisa and Jongin have no morning classes so they're going to stay while the others except Seulgi and Taemin left the rooms to attend their classes.

"You don't have classes?" Seulgi asks.

"Nope."

"Nice. How about you both help me and oppa come up with choreography for the event?"

Lisa stands up and goes to her locker to grab her spare shirt and sweat pants. "Fine by me. I'll go get change."

"So will I." Jongin went on his feet to do the same.

Minutes after, the four of them gathered up in front of the mirror to do their stretches. Taemin speaks. "Are you both sure you want to participate? This is just a small event."

Both of them nod then Lisa says. "Absolutely and our schedules will fit just fine. Both Jongin and I almost have the same free schedule during the week. Weekends are absolutely free too."

Seulgi stares at Lisa through the mirror. "Hold on, don't you have collaborative projects with Jennie's department?"

Lisa nods. "Yes but I don't think we will start that fast. We'll probably get going after exams."

"I see."

They spent at least three hours discussing about the sound mixing and the choreography until both Lisa and Jongin had to attend their afternoon classes.

Lisa's remaining three classes went well and normal — both are just minor subjects anyway.

She shared her last class with Jisoo who couldn't stop talking about visiting the café she's working in sometime around this week or probably this evening.

Both of them almost got kicked out, the professor most likely had woken up in the wrong side of the bed and decided to commit violence in their class and Jisoo's hush voice drove him to his edge.

If the classroom's time didn't go off, indicating the dismissal, they'd probably got tossed out of the room. Jisoo apologized to Lisa for almost giving them hell but Lisa dismissed it saying at least they were bailed.

Lisa received a text message from BamBam earlier, it reads. "My car this time. I'm already in the parking lot so bring your asses here." so she's now heading to them.

She had been avoiding Jennie at any and all cost for the past few days until Lisa saw Jennie's figure walking on the same way she's currently at but heading to the different direction. Lisa was about to make a swift and smooth turn when she noticed that Jennie's staring at or reading the papers she's holding.

Thinking that Jennie won't look up anytime soon, she continued walking and took her phone out just so she has an alibi, that she did not see her just in case Jennie would take notice.

She was soon able to breathe when they walk past each other but —

"Lisa?"

She mutters a curse, slightly turning her head while making sure her face would look as surprise as she possibly could. "Oh hey! I didn't notice you."

Little did Lisa know, Jennie noticed the subtle avoidance. She once saw Lisa making a subtle u-turn when she was about to approach her that Monday afternoon.

Yesterday, Lisa sprinted from her room to the parking space to meet her waiting friends and did not even bother to say Hi to her. She thought maybe because she was in a hurry but there was still an hour left before their shift.

Today, she honestly didn't notice her until the scent that she had grown so familiar with and a liking took her attention from her papers. She would've believed Lisa's alibi if she did not see Lisa's phone being up side down.

Jennie couldn't understand the growing sadness and irritation building up inside her though. "Same. Where are you going?"

"Parking area. The three of them are already waiting."

Jennie frowns, looks at her wrist watch — and again, an hour early. "I see. Well, enjoy your shift."

Lisa smiles, awkwardly though and Jennie noticed that. "I will. Be seeing you tomorrow for the joint class."

Jennie clenches her jaws. "Sure. Bye."

Lisa waves. "Bye." And turns around to immediately place her hand on her drumming chest while Jennie keeps her eyes, frowning, on the short haired girl until she makes a turn at the corner.

***

"Bam."

BamBam looks over his shoulder while handing the tray with empty dishes to their dish cleaner right at the door heading towards the dish cleaning room. "Sup?"

"Can you do me a favor and get the some caramel pearls in the pantry? We're running out of it." Lisa says while scanning through their containers to see if they need more of something.

"Sure. Anything else?"

"Table napkins."

"Okay. Be back."

Lisa is assigned to take over the counter with Jongin, who's making another coffee art across her. Mina walks straight to the counter to hand Lisa an additional order form.

"Our new milk tea is getting patrons today. Do we still have that caramel pearls left?"

Lisa nods. "Yup, Bam is grabbing a new bag from the pantry as we speak."

"Cool." Mina saw another newly vacated seat and immediately went there with her tray and cleaning gears to empty and sanitize it.

Lisa was busy mixing things for the new order when the door chimed, indicating new customers.

"I'll take it. Finish that." Jongin says and swiftly changed positions with Lisa.

Once she's done, BamBam just got inside the counter to fill the almost empty container. "We need to give the supplier some heads up. We only have 3 bags there."

Lisa steps back to let BamBam do that work. "I'll add that in the inventory later."

When he's done, he throws his used gloves, wears another pair before going back to attend customers — he deliveres the coffee and milk tea to its owners in the process.

"What's your order?" Jongin says.

"I'll take iced americano and blueberry muffin please." That voice immediately made Lisa look up, only to find a pair of feline eyes that are already staring at her.

Lisa fought so hard not to stutter because her heart beat is at it again. "Hey, you came."

Jennie smiles, didn't reach her eyes though. "Told you I will."

"That's $9.50." Jongin interjects, while Jennie was grabbing bills, he looks over at Lisa while mouthing Get your shit together!!!

She mouthed back. I am!

Before Jennie could look back up, Jongin turned his attention back to her and gladly accepts the bill. "Here's your 50 cents change. Take this number with you and find a seat, Jennie. Oh no wait." He cranes his neck a bit. "Bam!"

BamBam immediately turns his head to the counter. "What?" He's now walking back to them.

"Table for one for Jennie please."

"Oh." He smiles at Jennie. "This way."

As soon as Jennie is out from earshot, Lisa immediately ducks and slaps her face making Jongin chuckle. "Oh no. You had it bad, buddy."

Lisa groans. "Shut up."

"I didn't see her car in the parking lot by the way." Jongin says, eyes looking at the screen where they can monitor different angles of their CCTVs while waiting for Jennie's mixture to be finished.

"And?"

"And I am sure you will be offering her another ride and another kiss might happen again." Lisa groans at that, she's still ducking under the counter. "And she's looking at this way."

"Stop."

Jongin chuckles, he covers the cup with a lid, prepared every order Jennie paid for before pressing the bell to get either Mina or Bam's attention. "Get up. Get your shit together, love sick puppy."

"I am not love sick!" Lisa grumbles as she stands up.

"Really? Look to your right then."

Lisa did so only to panic because Jennie is already staring at her again, she looks away, acting like she did not catch Jennie's stare.

Jongin had to laugh at that. "Need I say more? You got it bad."

"Shut up and let me finish my shift in peace."

"Nah I bet it won't. I think she's going to stay longer. She just took her laptop out."

Lisa glances at Jennie's table to confirm it and silently grumbles again. "Lord, strengthen me." Jongin could only laugh.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

111K 2.3K 58
When love becomes a two-edged sword, piercing your heart with the pain of wanting what you can't have and losing what you hold.
DEATH By ViiHolic

Fanfiction

6K 284 25
I've died. I've finally let everything go. This time, I'm really letting you go. From the bottom of my heart, I hope you find happiness. Content warn...
52.9K 1.1K 31
A compilation of Jenlisa one shots. Peregrinate - (v); To travel or wander around from place to place.
306K 12K 30
An outcast girl meets a popular girl.