Songs of War Book 1: The Prop...

By ROMF_Army

The people of Ardonia suffered under the cruel and ruthless rule of King Chronos and his Nether Army. For gen... More

Prologue
Chapter 2: The Hooded Man
Chapter 3: Ataraxia
Chapter 4: Senn The Clanless
Chapter 5: Troubles at Home

Chapter 1: The Chase

332 13 2
By ROMF_Army

Thalleous rode swiftly through the dense forest, gripping a sword in one hand while cradling a baby in the other. A bag containing a precious item swung from his side, and he was determined to protect it at all costs, knowing that the enemy sought to obtain it. It had been several days since the Nether Army had seized control of Oakendale, the capital of Concord. Thalleous was confident they were after the child he held in his arms.

He had managed to evade numerous patrols, dispatching several Netharans along the way, narrowly escaping capture on more than one occasion. But now, he had arrived at Tabora Crags, a rugged and treacherous terrain. Thalleous knew he had to proceed on foot from here, venturing into the depths of the Crags, hoping that Tygren, the enemy leader, had not discovered the location he was heading towards.

"Timber!" Thalleous called out to his loyal companion, hugging the majestic horse tightly. "You must head to Ataraxia alone!" He knew it was too dangerous for Timber to accompany him any further. Timber snorted, nuzzling Thalleous before reluctantly galloping away into the dense undergrowth. Thalleous watched his trusted companion disappear into the wilderness, a pang of sadness gripping his heart. "This is where we part, old friend," he whispered, acknowledging the separation.

Thalleous stood there, gazing after Timber until the sound of hooves faded into the distance. He took a deep breath, steeling himself for the solitary journey ahead. With resolve in his eyes, he turned and began to move forward, leaving behind the echoes of his companion's departure.

Thalleous peered into the gaping canyon, its depths shrouded in darkness, while the thunderous roars of clouds echoed overhead. He glanced down at the child, slumbering helplessly in the bag he carried in front of him. Thalleous tightened his grip on his sword and cradled the child even tighter. "The Storm is coming; we must hurry. Jalkar must be waiting," he muttered, his determination unwavering.

With a resolute nod, Thalleous began his descent into the crags, navigating the rugged terrain with a skill born from years of experience. The path was treacherous, and he had to tread carefully to avoid hazards. He estimated it would take about 10 minutes to reach the canyon's bottom, but time was of the essence. Thalleous pushed forward, and his eyes focused on the goal ahead, the child's safety his top priority.

The echoes of the crags reverberated through the valley, a haunting symphony that seemed to never cease. These crags had stood for over a thousand years, once submerged beneath the water, but now a desolate place infested with criminal elements. The harsh sunlight struggled to penetrate the deep crevices of the crags, casting eerie shadows that danced along the rocky walls.

Thalleous had been walking for hours, and his senses were sharp as he navigated the rugged terrain. He had been silent for hours, and his ears tuned to potential dangers lurking in the crags. He had been waiting for the vines in the valley to grow large enough for people to stand on, and finally, he had arrived at the river.

As Thalleous approached, he looked down at the baby in his arms, ensuring the child was safe and sound. His gaze shifted to a figure standing before him, a man with a hood holding a lantern near what appeared to be a makeshift pier. Thalleous approached cautiously, his grip on his sword tightening as he assessed the situation. He remained vigilant, ready for any potential threat, as he moved forward to meet the hooded figure.

"Jalkar!" Thalleous exclaimed as the hooded man revealed himself, his red hair and green eye unmistakable.

"I thought you ran off," Thalleous said, putting his sword away.

Jalkar approached Thalleous, followed by his team. Some of them were injured, and many looked exhausted.

"This is all that's left?" Thalleous asked, looking at Jalkar and his team with a somber expression.

"After Oakendale, yes," Jalkar replied, his frustration evident. "The Nether Army laid waste to the place, and your Ardoni friends fled."

"War leaves scars, Jalkar," Thalleous said grimly. "Do you have the boat?"

"Yes," Jalkar said, stepping aside to reveal the boat. "But it'll have to cost you extra."

Thalleous reached into his bag, grabbed a bag full of gold, and tossed it to Jalkar. As Jalkar looked into the bag, Thalleous scanned Jalkar's men and noticed their hungry and desperate expressions.

"I don't know if you've heard, Thalleous," Jalkar said, somewhat disappointed, as he touched the hilt of his knife, "but a loaf of bread is now worth a diamond."

Tension hung in the air as Thalleous saw some of Jalkar's men reach for their weapons, gripping their swords and axes. Thalleous tightened his grip on his sword, prepared for any potential conflict. But then he spoke up, trying to defuse the situation.

"How about this," Thalleous suggested, "I'll give you some of my food so that we can avoid any unnecessary complications."

Jalkar's men stood anxiously, awaiting their leader's response. Jalkar took his time to reply, but before any words could be exchanged, an arrow struck one of Jalkar's men, killing him instantly. Thalleous and his companions reacted quickly, drawing their swords in readiness for the impending danger.

"Do we have a deal?" Thalleous asked urgently, hastily unpacking a quarter of his food.

"Sure!" Jalkar replied, and without hesitation, Thalleous threw the food at him as he rushed onto the boat. "We'll cover you," Jalkar assured them.

The Netharans charged down from the top of the creek, and Jalkar and his men joined the fight while Thalleous jumped into the boat and used a paddle to navigate downstream. The sound of bow shots echoed in the distance, taking out a few more of Jalkar's men. Thalleous listened attentively and realized that the attacking force was a group of undead controlled by the Netharans. He kept his sword at the ready, anticipating an arrow, but as the sounds of battle faded into the distance, it became clear that the undead was thoroughly distracted by Jalkar and his team.

Thalleous tried to relax as he realized they were temporarily safe. He looked down and saw the Ardoni baby still in his hand, it's white markings and small horn indicating that it was clanless. In contrast, Thalleous himself bore a light blue marking on his body, the color of the Sendaris Clan, and his horn was shorter compared to the baby's, which extended towards the back of its head and was sharp. Thalleous's markings were intimidating, suggesting he was a fierce warrior, and his skill matched his intimidating appearance. Thalleous was renowned as the most potent and popular Bladesinger in Ardonia, with unmatched blade skills and mastery of the songs. He had been named the Master Champion ten times, having been defeated in single combat only once.

Thalleous finally sat down, attempting to calm himself as he checked his supplies and gave a quarter of his food to Jalkar. He couldn't help but worry if Jalkar would survive long enough to eat the food.

As if on cue, the vines rustled, indicating the presence of someone approaching. Thalleous had anticipated this and immediately grabbed his sword, ready for a fight. He looked up and saw three Ardoni with red markings.

"Voltaris!" he screamed, "Come and face your foe!" Thalleous was ready to confront his enemy, bracing himself for the impending battle.

Two Voltaris jumped in front of the boat, one wielding a sword and the other a spear. As the rain started to fall, both charged at Thalleous. Thalleous skillfully evaded the sword-wielding Voltaris, kicking him off the boat and into the fast-flowing stream. The second Voltaris tried to thrust his spear at Thalleous but only managed to graze him. Thalleous countered with an elbow strike, and the two engaged in a fierce duel. After a while, Thalleous gained the upper hand and defeated the second Voltaris.

The Crag fell silent again, but Thalleous heard another thud from behind. He turned around and saw Tygren Voltaris, whom he recognized by his distinctive markings of anger and rage. Tygren had sworn to one day kill Thalleous and claim the Sword as his own. Thalleous prepared himself for the inevitable confrontation with his formidable foe, knowing that this would be a battle like no other.

"Hand over the kid and the Prime Song!" Tygren's voice echoed through the storm, his Iron Sword pointed menacingly at Thalleous. "Then maybe I'll spare your life."

Thalleous's eyes blazed with defiance. "You're delusional if you think I'll let you take the Prime Songs for yourself, Tygren!" he shouted. "Even Herobrine would agree on that!"

Thunder roared in the sky, and lightning illuminated the crags' edge, revealing the tension between the two opponents. Tygren laughed, his voice carrying over the storm.

"He is watching us now..." Tygren said, assuming a defensive stance. "Let's see whom he'll be pleased with."

Rain poured down harder, soaking them both as they prepared to face off in a battle that would determine the fate of the Ardonia. Thalleous tightened his grip on his Sword, his mind focused and his determination unwavering. He knew he had to defeat Tygren and protect the child and the sacred Prime Songs at all costs. The fate of Ardonia hung in the balance as the two warriors prepared to clash in a showdown of epic proportions.

Thalleous strode confidently towards Tygren, his Great Sword gripped tightly in his right hand, the baby held protectively in his other arm, and the bag with the precious cargo slung over his shoulder. But before he could react, Tygren lunged at him, catching him off-guard. Thalleous narrowly dodged the attack, and the fight erupted throughout the boat. They clashed and exchanged blows, landing hits on each other as they moved around the ship in a fierce battle. Thalleous could tell that Tygren was skilled and well-trained, and despite his best efforts, he couldn't avoid getting slashed in the belly. The pain seared through his chest as blood began to flow from the wound, but he gritted his teeth and stayed focused. Tygren tried to deliver a killing blow by jumping from the bow, but Thalleous rolled to the side and got back on his feet using his Great Sword for support.

Thalleous was growing tired, his heart pounding hard, and his wound worsening from the roll, but he refused to back down. Tygren intensified his attack, determined to kill Thalleous, but Thalleous proved elusive, evading most of the strikes with his agile movements. However, Thalleous made a mistake near the ship's bow, and his Sword slipped from his hand, landing on the port side, while the baby ended up on the starboard side. Tygren moved in to strike, but Thalleous acted quickly, blocking the attack with his body to shield the baby from harm. The Sword sliced across Thalleous's back, causing him to grunt in pain, and the cargo bag fell to the side. Thalleous expected another attack, but it didn't come. He turned around and saw that his bag had been emptied, and Tygren was standing next to it, his eyes fixed on the Argressium Prime, the last remaining Prime Songs not in the hands of the Voltaris. The red glow of the songs illuminated the crags, and Tygren stood in awe, lost in admiration of the powerful artifacts.

Thalleous was about to launch himself at Tygren, but he heard a sound from behind. He turned his head and saw a waterfall looming ahead.

"Jalkar didn't warn me about the waterfall!" Thalleous thought, but he knew there was no time to blame anyone now. He quickly surveyed his surroundings and spotted some vines in the middle of the stream. Without hesitation, he grabbed his Sword, the baby, and glanced back at Tygren, who was still distracted by the Prime Songs, oblivious to the impending danger of the waterfall. Thalleous realized that Tygren was positioned just right to take a direct hit from the mast if it were to be cut down.

Thalleous swiftly swung his Sword, cutting through the mast and catching Tygren off guard. The mast came crashing down, trapping Tygren underneath and causing him to drop the Prime Songs. Thalleous wasted no time and seized the opportunity, grabbing the Prime Song before Tygren could recover and make another attempt to take it.

"Hope you enjoy the fall!" Thalleous yelled, his back turned towards Tygren as he leaped for the vines just in time to avoid the boat hurtling over the waterfall. He heard Tygren's scream fading into the distance, possibly meeting his demise in the raging waters below. Thalleous took a deep breath and looked down at the crying child in his arms. He knew the safest course of action now was to head to Ataraxia and rendezvous with Osivian. He would help train the child to become one of the most skilled Bladesingers the realm had ever seen, ensuring their safety and future.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

808 45 19
What if Thalleous had a daughter and trains her to wield song. Her name is Raya Sendaris a young powerful Ardoni /Salamandrian hybrid with unique pow...
5.4K 320 33
!!THIS FANFICTION IS BEING REWRITTEN (BUT THIS COPY WILL STAY HERE)!! !SPOILERS FOR BLACK PLASMA STUDIOS' SONGS OF WAR! The symbol in the front cover...
854 29 12
Defeated again and again, the Frostbourne are forced to play a bad hand, and are continuously routed by Herobrine's massive Undead Armies, though the...
5.6K 225 16
We all have demons... and sometimes they win. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- When Amaya left the main Voltari...