Chapter 1: The Chase

Thalleous rode swiftly through the dense forest, gripping a sword in one hand while cradling a baby in the other. A bag containing a precious item swung from his side, and he was determined to protect it at all costs, knowing that the enemy sought to obtain it. It had been several days since the Nether Army had seized control of Oakendale, the capital of Concord. Thalleous was confident they were after the child he held in his arms.

He had managed to evade numerous patrols, dispatching several Netharans along the way, narrowly escaping capture on more than one occasion. But now, he had arrived at Tabora Crags, a rugged and treacherous terrain. Thalleous knew he had to proceed on foot from here, venturing into the depths of the Crags, hoping that Tygren, the enemy leader, had not discovered the location he was heading towards.

"Timber!" Thalleous called out to his loyal companion, hugging the majestic horse tightly. "You must head to Ataraxia alone!" He knew it was too dangerous for Timber to accompany him any further. Timber snorted, nuzzling Thalleous before reluctantly galloping away into the dense undergrowth. Thalleous watched his trusted companion disappear into the wilderness, a pang of sadness gripping his heart. "This is where we part, old friend," he whispered, acknowledging the separation.

Thalleous stood there, gazing after Timber until the sound of hooves faded into the distance. He took a deep breath, steeling himself for the solitary journey ahead. With resolve in his eyes, he turned and began to move forward, leaving behind the echoes of his companion's departure.

Thalleous peered into the gaping canyon, its depths shrouded in darkness, while the thunderous roars of clouds echoed overhead. He glanced down at the child, slumbering helplessly in the bag he carried in front of him. Thalleous tightened his grip on his sword and cradled the child even tighter. "The Storm is coming; we must hurry. Jalkar must be waiting," he muttered, his determination unwavering.

With a resolute nod, Thalleous began his descent into the crags, navigating the rugged terrain with a skill born from years of experience. The path was treacherous, and he had to tread carefully to avoid hazards. He estimated it would take about 10 minutes to reach the canyon's bottom, but time was of the essence. Thalleous pushed forward, and his eyes focused on the goal ahead, the child's safety his top priority.

The echoes of the crags reverberated through the valley, a haunting symphony that seemed to never cease. These crags had stood for over a thousand years, once submerged beneath the water, but now a desolate place infested with criminal elements. The harsh sunlight struggled to penetrate the deep crevices of the crags, casting eerie shadows that danced along the rocky walls.

Thalleous had been walking for hours, and his senses were sharp as he navigated the rugged terrain. He had been silent for hours, and his ears tuned to potential dangers lurking in the crags. He had been waiting for the vines in the valley to grow large enough for people to stand on, and finally, he had arrived at the river.

As Thalleous approached, he looked down at the baby in his arms, ensuring the child was safe and sound. His gaze shifted to a figure standing before him, a man with a hood holding a lantern near what appeared to be a makeshift pier. Thalleous approached cautiously, his grip on his sword tightening as he assessed the situation. He remained vigilant, ready for any potential threat, as he moved forward to meet the hooded figure.

"Jalkar!" Thalleous exclaimed as the hooded man revealed himself, his red hair and green eye unmistakable.

"I thought you ran off," Thalleous said, putting his sword away.