Promised For Truce

By SerafinaRemondo

ARRANGED MARRIAGE MAFIA ROMANCE║ Luciano's arm shot out, caging her. "So you will be the loving wife I was p... More

Promised for Truce
Part I - Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Part II - Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Part III - Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Final chapter

Chapter 12

9.2K 363 36
By SerafinaRemondo

Indigo hugged Nina's body like second skin once she zipped the back. Hints of gold were sprinkled throughout her jewellery. The second drop earring was picked up the same time her husband entered the dressing room. Nina spun around while securing the earring in its place and watched him from afar.

In the past week, Nina had spent most of her days alone. Luciano was away a lot, constantly working and preparing for his new role in The Outfit. Instead, Teodoro had been keeping Nina company. Her brother-in-law kept true to his words and visited her another two times. So far, she knew him better than her own husband.

The minute Luciano entered the dressing room, he couldn't take his eyes off of her. She was alluring to him. Whenever they shared the same space, his gaze gravitated toward Nina.

While he was checking her out, Nina did the same to him. His hair was slicked back, not a single strand out of place. He wore a crisp white dress shirt, the collar standing up, black dress pants and polished shoes.

It was the day when Luciano would officially become the Don of The Chicago Outfit and a celebration would be held in honour of it.

"Are you ready?" he asked before heading to his side of the room and grabbed something. He went to stand in front of the long mirror against the wall, his hands tying a tie and grey eyes flickering over to Nina.

"Yes," she replied, smoothing out her evening dress.

"I didn't mean it in the literal sense. There will be a lot of new faces for you. Are you nervous?"

"No."

Once the collar was fixed and the suit jacket on him, Luciano bridged the short distance between them. "I hope you will be capable of giving a little bit more than one syllable responses when you meet the rest of the family." He caressed her cheek with a feather-like touch.

Nina's lips stretched up into a tight smile. "I know what I have to do."

"Will I get a preview?" He pushed for more.

Nina was torn on what to do. Adhere to his wish and give him what he wanted or give him the cold shoulder.

"You'll see it once we get there," she said and stepped away.

Luciano's arm shot out, caging her. "So you will be the loving wife I was promised?"

The change in the air made her feel an inch smaller. The patter of her heartbeat was no longer steady as she was backed up against the wall. Her face, however, didn't reveal anything. It carried the same calm it always did.

"Always," Nina replied, and by force of habit, her lips pulled into a sugar-sweet smile.

She watched his brows draw together, his eyes narrowing along with it. There was a stretched silence before he spoke again.

"We need to be early to welcome the guests." He dropped his arm. "Come."

They proceeded to leave for the celebratory event which was held at Nicolò's mansion. It was tradition that the official announcement be held and hosted by the previous Don. It was like that when Luciano's father became Don and it was the same now that it was his turn.

Driving to Luciano's grandfather seemed to be over in a flash, not strange considering he lived in the same neighbourhood as them. The gates already stood wide open and made men with rifles were posted on either side of the road. Luciano parked the car and they got out, his hand rested on Nina's lower back, guiding her to the Victorian style mansion. They passed another two armed men guarding the entrance and got greeted by Nicolò.

"It is good to see you again, Nina," said Nicolò and turned to Luciano. "Nero is already here. Why don't you go to him? He had something to discuss with you and it's still a while until people start coming in."

Nina could tell by the subtle change in Luciano's expression that he wasn't eager on leaving her side. She found it a little peculiar since that was the exact thing he had been doing for the past week. He glanced one last time at her before disappearing.

"How is Chicago doing it for you?" his voice was gruff.

"I'm having a good time so far. Thank you for your consideration."

Fine lines near Nicolò's mouth accompanied his faint smile. "Your father wasn't lying when he told me you were a true lady but there is no need to be so formal. Save that energy for when the guests arrive."

"I apologi-" She stopped herself and smiled apologetically. "It's hard to shake off."

"Tell me if I am mistaken but you look a little nervous."

"Do I?"

"Not really, no." He laughed softly. "But I'd be surprised if you weren't feeling it."

"I am." There was no point in denying the truth to, what was essentially, a human lie detector. "Only a little though so I'll manage."

"Good because they're here." Nicolò gestured she take a look at the open doorway where a middle-aged couple handed their coats to the catering staff.

"I'll get Luciano."

Nina found him in the main area. Her appearance had Luciano put his conversation with Nero to a halt. Now, both men their focus was on her. She addressed her husband and informed his presence was needed. By the time they returned to the foyer, Nicolò was speaking to the middle-aged couple.

"That's my Aunt Stella and her husband Raniero. He used to be the consigliere," Luciano made sure to lower the volume of his voice as they approached them.

A feeling of pleasant surprise washed over Nina when he informed her. She thought he would leave her to fend for herself which was why she had taken matters into her own hands.

"I know who they are but I appreciate the thought." She flashed him one of her sincere smiles.

Luciano kept his eyes on Nina as it was the first genuine smile he had ever gotten from her. Heavenly is how he'd describe it. He didn't want the rare sight to go away but knew it would once they joined the others.

For the better part of the conversation, Luciano's aunt did most of the talking.

"I can't wait to hear what you'll have to say, Luciano." Stella's smile deflated before adding, "We won't be able to stay for too long though."

"Yes, of course." Nicolò now looked at the dark-blonde haired man. "How are you feeling, Raniero?"

"I've had better days."

"I'll be sure to keep my speech short then," Luciano said.

After her husband's aunt and uncle moved on to the decorated main area, other guests began arriving in what seemed like an endless stream of people. The more time passed, the more her nerves faded away. By the time they were done welcoming all guests, Nicolò slinked out of the foyer to play host and the two of them stayed behind.

"I didn't expect you'd know the soldiers as well." A hint of appreciation flashed across Luciano's face.

"It's only natural besides I only know which family they belong to." Nina paused and said, "But I doubt they would care if I knew their given name. It's you whose attention they want."

"I strongly doubt you truly believe that." Luciano brushed over her wedding ring. "They care. Not only are you my wife but your connections to New Orleans are of importance."

"The elders don't seem to like that."

"Well, our families have been at war with each other in the past and, in a way, you represent them."

"So trying to win them over is a hopeless cause?"

"For the majority, yes."

As Nina listened to his murmured words, she followed his gaze, leading her to the ring. She looked up again, this time eyeing the women lingering by the entryway to the main area and received their curious looks thrown in her direction.

"We should go. People are starting to wonder where we are."

"No." He now had his other hand on her waist. "I'd to like stay here a little longer."

"Because?"

"I'm not all too fond of crowded places."

Noticing that her husband's tie was crooked, she moved her hand from his chest and carefully straightened it out.

"What are you doing?" he inquired, not being used to her gentle touch.

"Being the loving wife you want me to be." She met his gaze. "People are watching us."

He glanced over his shoulder and drawled, "You had me fooled. I suppose doing the same to them will be like breathing for you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

438K 7.5K 57
BOOK ONE : Desires Series In public I'm his queen,his dearest wife;in bed I'm his most obedient slut;the one he pleasures every night and in the morn...
21.9K 545 31
"Say the right words carrisima and I am yours." Dante Russo, don of the italian mafia, marries the daughter of his ennemy. He intends to make her li...
89.4K 2.6K 42
She's my enemy, my captive, the one woman on this planet I'm supposed to hate. And yet, Sonia Gavino has gotten into my heart. With her raven's bla...
252K 6.3K 52
Complete story✔️ Soraya On my 25th birthday I'm going to take over my father's throne. I know that in order to keep my seat as the Donna of the Easte...