Angelfall (Skyfall #2)

By marcyswales17

"Oh what an adventure it would be to die..." More

Ch.1 Lover
Ch.2 Play Along
Ch. Baklava
Ch. 4 Undress
Ch.5 Green with Envy
Ch.6 The Human Brain
Ch. 7 Innocence
Ch.8 Onions
Ch.9 Sounds
Ch.10 Good Girls
Ch.11 Play the System
Ch.12 All things nice
Ch.13 Little Fairy
Ch. 14 Take me home
CH.15 Gifts
Ch.16 Be Nice!
Ch.17 A family Effort
Ch.18 Ruby Red
Ch.19 Trust in me
Ch.20 Leave a message
Ch.21 No cream, one sugar
Ch.23 Bees and Honey
Ch.24 Just a drop
Ch.25 The night changes
Ch.26 And there she was...
Ch.27 Puzzle Pieces
Ch.28 Strangers
Ch. 29 Thunder
Ch.30 Vestal
Ch. 31 Clay Doll
Ch.32 Caveman
Ch. 33 Cry me a river
Ch.34 Introductions
Ch.35 Fresh start and flowers
Ch.36 Heart to heart
Ch. 37 Time out
Ch.38 Soul's Solace
Ch.39 Like it's your last day
Ch.40 Promises of Forever
Ch.41 Bath time
Epilogue

Ch.22 Autura

5.9K 530 387
By marcyswales17

Chapter 22

Gemma held Kiara's hand as she channeled calm and soothing thoughts into her head. The girl sat stubbornly glaring with her gold eyes as Killian hovered nearby.

"This isn't going to work, Gem," Kiara rolled her eyes.

"I want to speak to Kiara," Gemma said. "I know she's in there. I know she can hear me."

Kiara continued to gaze into Gemma's icy blue eyes as she let the witch sooth her. Her hand rubbed her belly as if she in return was soothing the child inside.

"She's so different from you," Kiara said after a while. "Both broken...but in such different and beautiful ways."

Gemma flinched from the words. Unwillingly her mind began to summon images of dark days when Gemma had been the ones with those terrifying gold eyes.

"Kiara does not want anything to do with you rotten bunch," Kiara said, leaning forward slightly to look into Gemma's eyes.

Killian stopped behind Gemma with a deep frown on his face as he listened to Kiara speak. Each word was like a hot knife twisting in his soul.

"She won't talk to us or you won't let her speak to us?" Gemma asked, slowly dropping the girl's hand.

"It's not me," Kiara said slowly, leaning back. "See for yourself."

Curiously, Killian took a step forward to understand what she meant. Gemma raised a brow as Kiara locked her gaze with her and a small smile appeared on her lips. She was about to ask what Kiara was doing when Kiara's eyes suddenly started to shift.

Like a bad dream, the gold disappeared from Kiara's eyes. The strong warm brown in them retired as the stubborn look on her face softened. Gemma gasped as she realized she was looking at Kiara....and just Kiara.

"Kiara..." Gemma reached out to take the girl's hand.

Kiara blinked and pulled her hand back. She sat up straight and began to look around at the room as her breathing labored. Her hands began to tremor and her chest began to tighten. Killian watched as realization hit Kiara's eyes as to where she was.

"Kia," he stepped forward, wanting to desperately calm her and hold her. The look of panic that flashed across her round face made Killian's knees buckle.

Kiara began to scoot away from the pair as Gemma and Killian moved towards her with concern. Their eyes were filled with worry, their hands ready to comfort her. But Kiara couldn't think as she continued to look around the dollhouse she was sitting in.

The hurt and the pain that thundered through her brought hot tears to her eyes. She felt as if her chest might burst into a thousand pieces as fragments of memories hit her. She looked up and her gaze landed on Killian.

The boy opened his mouth but no words came out. He looked just as broken as Kiara felt. The burning pain in her chest intensified as she let out a sob before covering her mouth.

"Kia," Killian drove forward and fell to his knees in front of the chair Kiara sat on.

He held her face in between his hands as his whole body trembled with regret. Her skin was ice cold. She flinched from his touch as if he had struck her across the face. Killian felt like a madman, scrambling to find a way to make everything better.

"Kia, I'm so sor-"

"No, no, no," Kiara began to shake her head and chant.

"Kiara," Gemma joined Killian and held Kiara's hand. "You have to fight this. We're here to help you, my love."

"No," Kiara cried as she tried to move away from the two.

"Kiara, please, listen," Killian begged as Kiara began to push at them with all her might.

"Killian, let go," Gemma pulled the boy back as Kiara began to scream in protest.

Killian let go of Kiara's face but his hands hovered, ready to catch her if she fell off the armchair. But Kiara wasn't having it. She looked at his arms and felt as if all the air was being sucked out of the room. She pushed with her hands to try and get them as far away from her as she possibly could.

Killian pulled away as his eyes watered and his jaw clenched. The way Kiara's tears ran down her face would haunt him forever. He was tempted to pull her into his arms despite her protest and made her believe how sorry he was. But he didn't want to hurt her or their baby.

"Kiara," Gemma tried again. "We're not going to hurt you. Honey, we all made a huge mistake."

As if she couldn't bear to listen to another word, Kiara put her hands over her ears and began to shake her head. She pulled her legs up and curled up on the armchair and tried to bury her face in her hair. Watching it all made Killian want to jump off mount Olympus.

"Kiara, please. Honey, we ma-" Gemma tried to speak but stopped when Kiara's body suddenly grew rigid.

Killian noticed the change immediately and his heart began to pound. Was she okay? She had stopped sobbing.

"Kiara doesn't want to speak to you," Kiara suddenly sat up straight and adjusted the dress she wore.

Her eyes were the most vibrant gold they had ever been. She reached up and wiped the tears on her face before reaching over and taking a napkin and blowing her nose.

"Please," Gemma begged. "We need to speak to her. She needs to understand what happened and why she's here."

"She understands," Kiara said, flicking Gemma's hand off of her knee. "She doesn't want to hear any of it."

"You don't speak for her," Killian said through his clenched teeth. "I don't believe you."

"Believe whatever you want," Kiara turned her eyes to the boy. "That shouldn't be too hard, right Killian?"

Killian recoiled from the harsh truth in those words.

"And I do speak for her," Kiara said, leaning forward and narrowing her eyes. "Because I will take care of her. I will keep her safe and I will protect her from you all. You've broken her enough. She needs someone she can rely on to fight for her."

"You are not that person," Killian growled.

"And you are?" Kiara raised a brow before bursting into laughter. "Look where you have her! You locked her up in a dollhouse!"

"We locked you in a dollhouse," Gemma spit. "Not Kiara."

"Kiara and I are one now," Kiara said. "And there's no force in this world that can separate that. You want her? You will have to go through me....and believe me I will fight to my last breath to protect her from you."

_______________________

"I can do that on my own," Nora frowned at her aunt as Lidia tied her shoelaces.

"Dr. Banks said not to exhaust yourself too much," Lidia smiled as she finished the bunny ears and pulled them tightly.

"Oh yes, because tying my own shoelaces will kill me," Nora rolled her eyes. "And what's with you and Dr. Banks?"

"What do you mean?" Lidia laughed.

"I mean the flirty eyes and the blushing," Nora raised a brow. "You couldn't spare my doctor?"

"We just went out for coffee," Lidia said in her defense. "And maybe a casual dinner."

"Casual dinner?" Nora snorted. "What time did he leave the next morning?"

"After breakfast."

"You're gross!"

"Calm down," Lidia laughed. "We're both adults."

"I could have lived my whole life without knowing that information," Nora gagged. "I can never look at Dr. Banks the same way."

"You're so dramatic," Lidia got off the bed and grabbed her purse. "Stay here. I will go get the copies of your discharge papers."

Nora nodded as she picked up her maroon sweatshirt and pulled it on. She got off the bed as Lidia excited the room and the door closed behind her. Once her sweatshirt was zipped, Nora pulled her ponytail out from under and adjusted her shirt. She walked over to the small table by the side of her bed and picked up her phone. A deep frown formed on her lips as she stared at the blank screen. Before she could stop herself, her fingers moved over the keyboard and she quickly typed up a text for Hayden.

Are you still asleep? Or did you wake up? Why can't I talk to you anymore? Why are you not in my head anymore? Where are you?

As Nora hit sent and watched the text be delivered, she felt a pair of strong hands grab her waist and pulled her back.

"Always asking so many questions," Hayden whispered into her ear before turning her to face him.

Nora gasped as their body collided with each other and she was suddenly in his arms. Her lashes lifted as she stared into his dark green hooded eyes. The corner of Hayden's mouth curved up as he noticed the way Nora's eyes dilated and her breath caught. His gaze flickered down to her lips and he found her sway forward.

"Close your eyes," he said, leaning forward.

"Wh-what..." Nora was dizzy, unable to make sense of whatever he was saying.

"Close your eyes," Hayden raised a hand and held it over Nora's eyes.

"Why?" Nora frowned.

Hayden didn't answer her as he pulled her closer and hooked his arm around her body. He pulled her up against him until her small feet hovered off the floor.

"What are you doing?" Nora wanted to know as she grabbed a fist full of his shirt.

She felt Hayden chuckle as he stepped back and her body tumbled forward with him. Nora let out a small scream as she felt her stomach drop as if she was on a roller coaster. But before she could bury her face in his neck, Hayden sat her down on her feet and removed his hand from over her eyes.

"What the hell!" Nora jumped back. "Did you just portal me?"

Hayden couldn't explain the warmth that spread all over his mind and body as he watched Nora stomp her feet and scowl. She was safe, she was okay, unharmed, and in one piece.

"Where are we?" Nora demanded to know as she looked around at the thick green forest. "Aunt Lidia is supposed to take me home from the hospital."

"I'll have Ella talk to her," Hayden said, reaching out and tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear.

Nora stilled as Hayden's knuckles brushed her cheek. She could feel her skin heat up as he stepped closer and his gaze dropped to her lips.

"Are you okay?" Hayden asked. "How are you feeling?"

"I feel...." Nora looked up at his eyes.

Hayden began to realize he was growing an unhealthy obsession and addiction to watching and leaving her speechless and breathless.

"You feel?" He stepped closer and placed his hand on her hips. Perfect fit.

"I..." Nora swayed forward, as if under a spell.

"You?" Hayden smiled, wanting to share the magic of that spell in her eyes.

"You..." Nora tilted her head.

"Me?"

"Hayden," Nora frowned, as if tired of her teasing.

"Nora," Hayden smiled.

"Heyder!"

Nora and Hayden jumped as Heyder's voice startled them and shattered whatever bubble they had been entrapped in. Hayden could feel Nora's heart racing as she stepped away from him and looked up at the jinn standing on the deck of the house behind them.

"Hey, peanut," Heyder waved at Nora. "You still in one piece? Or did we break you?"

Hayden's eyes darkened. His jaw clenched as he stepped in front of Nora and took her hand.

"We're all waiting," Heyder said to his son. "Any day now, sleeping beauties."

Nora looked up at Hayden as he began to walk her towards the house. She didn't say anything as they walked up the wooden stairs and passed the jinn before entering the sleek open kitchen and family room.

Birdie looked up from where she perched on a stool, nibbling on celery sticks. Beside her Thea, Apollo's daughter flipped through a cooking book as Maya and Ali sat at the dinner table with old worn books in front of them.

"What's going on?" Nora tugged at Hayden's hand to get his attention.

"Relax, no worries," Heyder answered from behind. "We just want to see what happened to you and him."

Nora looked over her shoulder at the jinn with uncertainty in her eyes.

"You can trust me," Heyder said. "I can't lie....unlike my son."

"Heyder," Maya looked up and closed the book she was reading.

"I am being nice," Heyder said, looking at his wife before turning back to Nora. "Have I said anything unpleasant to you yet, Peanut?"

"No," Nora shook her head.

"The key word being yet," Hayden looked at his mother.

"I caught that," Maya shook her head. She let out a deep sigh before pushing her chair back and getting up. "How are you feeling, Nora?"

"Good," Nora said.

As Maya walked over to her, Hayden let go of her hand and took a step aside. Nora wanted to turn and look at him but her eyes were fixed on the tall blonde. It wasn't hard to see where Birdie and Hayden got their good looks from.

"Hayden told us about the mind-link," Maya said, coming to a stop in front of the girl. "We just want to make sure you're okay and see what happened."

Nora nodded, "I understand....I have plenty of questions myself."

"Good," Maya smiled. "Then let's get started."

Maya turned and looked at Ali, "By the way, this is Ali. A close friend and family. He's also Heyder's second in command."

"Hi," Nora waved to the jinn.

"Hello," Ali waved back. "Look at you, peanut. Birdie wasn't kidding when she said you were tiny."

Nora looked down at her legs before looking up at everyone in the room. She was hands down the shortest person there. Everyone else was supermodel tall while she was barely five feet 4 inches. She was practically a child beside Thea who had legs for days.

"Good things come in small packages," Thea said, closing her book. "Hi, Nora. It's good to see you again."

"Hi," Nora waved.

"Okay gather around everyone," Heyder clapped his hand. "Let's get this show on the road."

Maya tugged Nora towards the table as Hayden followed behind them. Thea jumped off her stool and walked over, bumping Hayden playful as she passed him.

"When did you get here?" Hayden asked, pulling out the chair for her.

"Right after you left," Thea said as she took a seat.

Maya placed a hand on Nora's back and walked her to the other side of the long table. Nora moved silently with her ear perked up as she listened to the conversation across the table.

"Aren't you forgetting something?" Thea laughed, looking at Hayden patiently.

"What am I forgetting?" Hayden wondered, taking a seat on the chair beside her.

"Have a seat, peanut," Heyder said, pulling out the chair for Nora.

Nora followed without question or hesitation.

"What's today's day?" Thea asked.

"I don't know," Hayden looked at his watch.

"Hayden!" Thea shook her head laughing.

"Today is her birthday, dummy!" Birdie said walking over to the table and licking her brother's head.

"Oh shit," Hayden's eyes snapped up. "Happy birthday, Thea!"

"Thank you," Thea leaned forward and Hayden gave her a side hug. "Finally an adult!"

"How does it feel to be 18?" Ali asked. "I remember being 18....it was ages ago."

"I don't feel any different," Thea laughed.

"Why are you here on your birthday?" Hayden asked. "You should be out celebrating."

"Heyder called to come see Nora," Thea looked back at the older jinn.

"If there's anyone who can track energy it would be Apollo's daughter," Heyder smiled.

"Yes, sir," Thea smiled proudly.

"But still," Maya frowned. "We're sorry to call you out on your birthday."

"It's okay," Thea shook her head. "I don't mind. I'm happy to help."

"Thank you," Hayden said with a sweet smile on his lips.

Nora, who sat quietly in her chair listening to everything, watched as Thea's cheeks blushed. The admiration in the girl's eyes were no secret as she stared at Hayden.

"Nora?" Birdie's voice pulled her out of her head.

"Huh?" Nora's eyes snapped over to the girl with the silver hair.

"I asked if you wanted something to drink?"

"Ah....yeah?" Nora shook her head. "I'll have some coffee, please."

"Cream and sugar?" Birdie began to lift her finger.

"No cream," Nora shook her head. "One sugar."

Across the table, Hayden raised his brow as he watched Nora. His body was turned towards Thea as the girl spoke about her plans for her birthday, but Hayden couldn't focus. He was too distracted by Nora's voice speaking to his sister. She was asking for coffee....a simple request. But her voice still demanded all his attention as if it was the only sound that mattered. As if it was the only sound he ever wanted to hear.

As Hayden watched, Birdie raised her hand and flickered her fingers. A tall Starbuck cup appeared on the table as the girl chuckled.

"Did Hayden get you to start drinking his disgusting coffee?" she asked.

"No," Nora shook her head.

She reached for the cup and wrapped her hands around it. Her gaze flickered up and found Hayden watching her. He gave her a small half smile, holding her gaze. But as he watched Nora turned away and focused on Maya and Heyder.

"Okay," Maya cleared her throat. "Physically, you are all healed. I would like to check your mind and see if there are any traces of magic lingering in you that could be causing the mind-link. And then Thea can see if maybe we can find out what happened. Is that okay with you, Nora?"

Nora frowned, "Check my mind? Like read my thoughts?"

"No," Maya shook her head. "I can't read minds. I can just sense magic."

Nora slowly nodded, "Okay..."

"Can you two still use the mind-link?" Heyder asked.

"No," Nora shook her head. "Well....I mean I can't...I don't know how to."

"Hayden?" Ali turned to the boy. "What about you?"

"No," Hayden shook her head. "The first few times I could sense her in my head. Like I do with all of you....but now I can't sense her."

"I wonder why that is," Maya frowned.

"I might have an explanation," Thea held up her hand.

"Please, go ahead," Ali offered her the stage.

"Magic is energy," Thea began. "And just like the sun, magic gives out energy....I think when Hayden....'lost control', the energy he released was absorbed by Nora....since she was standing nearby."

Standing nearby.

Nora's mind began to flash through the memories and sensations of Hayden's lips on her, his hands on her body. Her hands pulling at him, the sofa, the feel of her curves meeting his hard body.

"But we're always around Hayden when he releases energy," Birdie said. "That never happened to us."

"Well, we can filter it," Thea explained. "We have built in resistance that protects us. But humans don't."

"So to put it plainly...." Ali raised a brow. "Hayden is the sun....and Nora got sunburned?"

"That's my guess," Thea said.

"Only one way to find out," Maya said, turning to Nora. "Are you ready?"

"What will you do exactly?"

"I'm just going to see if I can feel Hayden's energy in you," Maya explained. "That will explain what you were able to mind-link."

"But what about why we couldn't wake up?" Nora asked. "Maybe for me it's because I took in too much energy, but what about him?"

Nora's eyes finally flickered to Hayden. But only for half a second. Hayden frowned when she looked away.

"That's where I come in," Ali spoke up. "I have been reading a great deal of the books at court. Especially about the feys. It turns out, if a fey is connected to any other being, they can share the same conditions until the connection disappears."

Maya nodded, "It's called Autura,"

"Autura?" Nora raised a brow.

"When a fey forms a connection with another being," Maya explained.

Nora shook her head, "Wh-what will it do? It is permanent?"

"From what we read so far," Ali looked at the books. "It's not permanent."

"Thank god," Nora muttered under her breath.

"But!"

"Oh no..."

"It can be," Ali held up a finger. "But that's rare and unheard of. Happened only in fey myths and legends."

"So that is why we just want to check to see if you have Hayden's energy in you," Maya looked at the girl.

"If I do?" Nora asked. "Now do we get it out?"

"It will fade on it's own," Ali assured her.

"Are you sure?" Nora looked around.

"I know, it's horrifying," Birdie shook her head. "My brother gave you his cooties."

"But how did this happen?" Thea asked.

Nora looked up as the tips of her cheeks started to blush. Hayden caught her gaze for a few seconds before clearing her throat and shrugging.

"She was in the room with me," he said. "I was showing her the palace library."

Everyone slowly nodded. Nora felt her stomach drop to the pit of her stomach and disappear as her fingers grew numb and cold. Hayden watched her pull her hand away from her coffee cup and tuck it under her thighs.

"Ready, Nora?" Maya asked.

"Yes," Nora nodded, turning to the witch.

Hayden bit down on his jaw as he watched his mother place her hands on either side of Nora's head and take in a deep breath. Nora's eyes fluttered close, making Hayden groan in his mind. He wanted to see her eyes. He needed to know she was okay with whatever his mother was doing. He knew Maya would never hurt her, but damn did the thought of Nora being uncomfortable do things to him.

Silently, everyone around the table watched as Maya took her time combing through Nora's head. Every time she found a small bundle of Hayden's energy in her mind, Nora flinched in her hands. And every time Nora flinched, Hayden sat forward.

"It's okay," Thea said, turning to the boy beside her. "It's the autura....it'll fade."

Hayden didn't reply. He sat watching Nora with his eyes glued on her face. Every reaction that crossed her delicate features made him want to jump across the table and pull her away.

"Maya..." Heyder placed a hand on his wife's shoulder, making sure she herself was okay.

"There's not a lot...." Maya said, slowly opening her eyes. She lowered her hands and Nora's eyes fluttered open. "Some small patches....they should fade soon."

"So I'm okay?" Nora asked.

"Yes," Maya nodded. "Perfectly fine."

Hayden let out a sigh of relief. He ran a hand through his hair and leaned back against his chair. He closed his eyes and let the relief flood through his body.

"May I go home now?" Nora asked.

Hayden's eyes flew open. He lifted his head and narrowed his eyes at the girl sitting across from him, not liking the idea one bit.

"Yes, of course," Maya laughed. "We'll keep in touch and I'll check in to make sure all the energy fades."

Nora nodded, "Thank you."

Hesitantly, Nora looked around the table. Hayden waited for her to look over in his direction, but she skipped him and went directly to Birdie.

"How...how do I get home?" She asked.

"I'll portal you," Maya rose from her head.

Hayden watched as Nora's face fell. That reaction had to mean something. Did she not want Maya to take her back?

Of course, not! Hayden thought to himself. As if he was going to let anyone else portal her. She would completely freak out and get sick.

"It's okay," Hayden spoke up and slowly rose to his feet. "I'll take her back."

Thea frowned as she looked up at the half jinn, "But I thought you said you were going to come with Birdie and me."

Hayden looked down at the demigoddess while he felt Nora's bold eyes watching him. He looked up, trying to see what she was thinking but Nora looked away. Suddenly, the coffee cup was the world's most interesting thing to her.

"It'll only take a second," Birdie said. "While Hayden drops her off, I'll go grab my bag."

"Birdie's right," Heyder nodded. "It should only take a second."

"I don't want to inconvenience anyone," Nora cleared her throat. "Maybe Mrs. Heyder is the better option."

Hayden's eyes narrowed, "I said I was going to do it...."

"Hayden just focus on Thea," Heyder clicked his tongue. "It's her birthday. Maya can drop Nora off."

"This isn't rocket science people," Ali shook his head.

Maya slowly rose to her feet and summoned a portal. Nora got up from the table and silently walked over to where the witch waited for her. Hayden knew she wouldn't be able to do it. Her hands were already shaking. He pushed his chair back and began to head over when Nora suddenly took in a deep breath and hopped into the portal with a little squeal.

Hayden froze as the portal closed, leaving him staring at the spot where Nora had been standing just a few seconds ago. 

What do you think is happening to Nora? 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

65 1 9
I was a loner who knew everything about otome games.. I had no girlfriend, all eh girls in my school thought I was ugly even the ones at work, my jun...
20 1 1
 Forever, young old, to be forever, young young young
506 48 6
i wanted to die. but death wanted me to live. and got our fates entwined _
18.6K 404 11
Beloved. Mine. My Queen. My Life. My Death. 'We will now be together. For eternity.'