Always

By peruzadani

Her whole life Samantha was known as Mikey's little sister. This, along with the fact that she hit puberty l... More

Introduction to Always
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11

Chapter 10

29 4 2
By peruzadani

THE NEXT COUPLE of weeks flew by quickly as the first school semester officially began. With three assignments due by the end of the week and practices becoming more brutal as our first game was approaching, summer officially felt like it was over before it even began. Coach was calling us in for Saturday morning practices now on the small field to prepare for the upcoming game.

Despite the hectic workload, I couldn't complain since the guys had it much worse than we did. They had already started college applications, both Mikey and Dom had probably accumulated a total of 20 applications to various different colleges just between the two of them alone.  This was also their last year to impress the scouts if they wanted a sure spot to play at university next year. The goal had always been to play D-1 soccer for one of the Pac-12 teams and then one day be drafted to the Major Leagues. For as long as I could remember, the boys would spend every waking moment fantasizing about that dream where it eventually, without even realizing it, it also became a part of my dream as well.

When we weren't all busy with practice, school, homework or applications, we still managed to catch the beautiful sunsets at the beach.  The guys and I would hang out by the club while Mikey worked.  I would never admit it out loud but I was impressed with Mikey, he was managing to do all of this while working a job.

Kee had been grounded for the next two week, which all things considered, wasn't as bad as she had expected.  We didn't get to spend any time together outside of school since she had to go straight home after practices.  

Thankfully I had Vanny and Jeremy to keep me company because sometimes there was only so much testosterone I could handle. The guys would come over at least once a week for dinner as they had officially proclaiming me the Chef Goddess, I rolled my eyes at the term but was secretly flattered and despite my protesting, I actually enjoyed trying out new dishes and they were the perfect test dummies.

Jack and I had been talking frequently since the party although we hadn't been able to spend any alone time together thanks to Mikey, Dom, Carlos and Dixon.

He frequently spent lunch with us at our table unless he was with his other group of friends that I didn't recognize.  One of the boys seemed to be on the team with the guys but the other two were strangers but I didn't fail to notice that the guys didn't seem to associate with them.  Jack always came alone when he wanted to hang out with the Mikey, Dom, Carlos and Dixon.  I also didn't fail to notice Dom's accusing stares whenever Jack and I would exchange words.

Dad came home for a few days and it was nice to have a mature male in the house but the only downside of having him home was that he kept trying to get me to patch things up with mom. Her and I would hold a conversation for nearly a whole minute every couple of days whenever she would call to check in with Mikey.  It was the best that I could do and I wished everyone would understand that her and I were just meant to have a distant relationship.  It was what it was and the sooner they understood that then the less it would eventually hurt.

We ended up winning our first match on the fourth Saturday of the school year and to celebrate, the guys ended up throwing a party at our place.  Dad had hit the road again a couple nights ago so we had the whole place to ourselves and this was the perfect excuse for Mikey to throw a party.  I didn't want to know how but Carlos had somehow managed to deliver on the booze and by ten o'clock half the school appeared to have showed up.  

We were currently standing around one of the tables in the living room and cheering with a shot to our first win of the year.

"Thank God I'm not on house arrest anymore!"  Kee shouted over the music after our second shot.

"Can you imagine missing your own celebration party?"  Vanny responded.

"Looks like the guys would have celebrated plenty for all of us," I said, nodding my head at Mikey, Dom, Carlos and Dixon who were laughing obnoxiously loud about something as they chugged down the remainder of what was in their cups.

"I'm sure they would have thrown the party regardless of the win or not," Vanny added.

We got ready to take another shot but Kee shook her head.  "Oh no, I learned my lesson the last time.  I'm not drinking anymore tonight."

Vanny and I shrugged before cheering and chugging the little beverage.

"That penalty kick was so sweet Sam!"  Dixon let out a low whistle of appreciation, stretching his fist out for a bump.

"For a moment there I was worried you would miss," Dom smirked.

"So you admit you were worried?  Jeez Dom, I thought you were too self-centered for that."  I countered sweetly.

He let out a chuckle.  "More like I expected you to miss per usual."

I nodded.  "Okay, so you are self-centered."

A delicate arm wrapped around Dom's torso from behind.  Natalie popped her head in from the side.

"Hey boys," she purred to the boys, slightly louder than usual do to the amount of alcohol she had probably already consumed.

Dom tried to take a step away from her but her arms were ironclad as she held onto him.

"Dominic you haven't congratulated me yet," She pouted, looking up at him through her long lashes.

"For what?  You didn't do anything," Carlos said.

I couldn't help the laugh that escaped my lips and apparently neither could anyone else.

Natalie looked around at everyone before her eyes landed on me.  Apparently the alcohol content didn't hinder her ability to fix me with her signature glare.

"Oh but of course there's no need for anyone else to do anything now that little miss perfect here is back,"  she shot out.

"Oh there's plenty to do.  Just not for you," I responded back.

"You're such a bitch," she spat out, suddenly trying to lunge at me.  Apparently her self-control was also out the window.

"Whoa," Dom said, holding her back.  "Calm down Nat."

"Not until I beat the bitch," she spat as she clumsily tried to wiggle her way out of his grasp.

"Dom you better get her the hell out of here or else I'll have to deal with her," Kee responded before I could say a word.  The fact that Natalie was obviously drunk out of her mind was the only reason why I didn't bother to indulge her.

Dom reluctantly took her by the arm, walking backwards with her away from our group and disappearing into the crowd of people.  Something about that sight made my blood boil more than her actual words.

"She's crazy," Dixon said.

"Now you see what we have to deal with," Vanny responded, shaking her head.

"It's cool, Dom will handle her." Carlos said.

"What's going on between those two anyway?  He always looks like he wants nothing to do with her," Kee asked the question I'd been dying to know.

"That's because he doesn't," Carlos said.

"They went out a couple of times, it just didn't work out."  Mikey added.

"Why?" Kee asked.

Bless her, I thought.

"It just didn't," Mikey shrugged nonchalantly, making it clear that he wouldn't divulge any of his best friend's secrets.  Clearly this mystery would remain a mystery for now.

Jack's head between the crowd of people in one of the corners caught my attention.  He smiled at me and motioned for me to walk over to him.

"I'll catch you guys later," I didn't wait for a response as I left them all behind.

"Hey you," Jack greeted happily.

"Hey," I smiled at him.

"You want to get some fresh air?" He asked.

We headed to the front of the house and the cool blast of air was refreshing, as was the fact that surprisingly there weren't many people outside.

I took a deep breath, letting the pleasantly chill fill my lungs.

"Wow, we're finally alone," he commented.

Over two weeks of us talking and texting and this was the first time we had a moment to ourselves.

I turned to face him.  "Oh, so you've been wanting to get me alone?"  I joked.

He nodded eagerly, displaying his dazzling teeth in a wide smile.  "Oh course, I'm not stupid."

I chuckled loudly.  "An honest answer.  Does that mean you're an honest guy?"

"Do you want me to be?"  He asked, turning to face me where we stood in the driveway.

I raised an eyebrow in question as I leaned against Dom's car parked behind me.

"To be honest I don't really care," I answered honestly too.

It was true...  I didn't care, nor did I want to care.  I just wanted to enjoy being in high school, kiss a cute guy and not worry about real feelings and attachments.

He shook his head, letting out a low chuckle as he took a couple step towards me and we were now only inches apart.  "Are you trying to get me into this?  Because it's working."

"I'm not trying to do anything," My words came out as a low whisper.  My eyes unable to look away from his soft, kissable lips.  God, it had been a while since someone had kissed me and I wanted it now.

I wanted to be kissed and held and touched by a guy.

"You were really great tonight by the way.  You continue to—"

"Shut up and kiss me already," I interrupted, not caring about anything he had to say.

He wasted no time in complying as his lips crushed mine.  It was nice...  Good even.  His hands on either side of my face, pulled me towards him as his lips moved slowly against mine.  It was easy and enjoyable in every way but I didn't want hesitant kisses.  I wanted real so I looped my fingers around the lining of his jeans, allowing his body to press against every inch of mine as I pulled him towards me.  I met his lips with a slight urgency to it and it wasn't long before he got the message.  His hands roamed down the sides of my body, gripping the curves of my hips as his mouth moved faster and harder on mine.  Hunger was clear in every movement that was made as my lips searched his own.  I opened my mouth to allow him access—

"What the hell Sam!"  Mikey's cold voice broke through the heated bubble we had created.

Jack's warmth disappeared immediately as we jumped apart.

Mikey was standing outside the front door with Dom right behind him.  The look on his face was one of complete anger and shock.

"What the hell Mikey!"  I repeated his words, irritation at the interruption bubbling in my chest.  I could immediately sense where this was about to go and I steeled myself for it.

"What the hell were you doing?"  Mikey took several steps forward as his face turned redder by the second.

"It's called kissing, I'm sure you know all about that,"  I responded sarcastically, stepping away from the car and facing him.

"Cut the sarcastic crap!  Why the hell were you doing it?"  He demanded.

I rolled my eyes.  "Mikey, if you don't want a sarcastic answer then don't ask stupid questions."

"Mikey, look bro —" Jack started, stepping forward to join in.

Mikey turned on him, pointing his finger.  "You and I aren't bros," he spat out.

"Oh come on man, you know it's not like that," Jack tried to reason, taking another step forward.

"I suggest you shut the hell up unless you want me to kick your ass," Mikey said through gritted teeth.

Several people who where outside appeared to be paying attention to us now.

"Mikey!"  I exclaimed, getting heated from the scene he was making.  "Cut the crap and calm down."

"Yeah man let's just talk about this," Jack said.

A part of me wanted to tell him to shut up because I knew he would only make things worse.

"Get the hell off my property," Mikey barked out.  "Or I'll remove you myself."

Jack let out a huff of exasperated air.

"Dom," He turned to Dom.  "You know how it is man.  Come on, help me out here."  He tried.

I had been so focused on Mikey that I hadn't paid attention to Dom at all.  His eyes were unreadable as he stood in the same spot, unmoving.  The rest of his demeanor was tense as if he was visibly restraining himself.

"Don't think I will," His voice was ice cold, something I'd never heard before.  The sound of it sent a chilling shiver down my back.  "And if you don't get the hell out of here I'll help him remove you."

"What the hell is wrong with the two of you!"  I exclaimed, fuming now.  "Why don't you mind your own business?"

I couldn't believe this was happening right now.  I knew how protective they could be but this was completely  out of line.

Jack looked over at me for a moment, clearly contemplating the right move.  "I guess I'll just see you later Sam," he finally said, looking defeated.

I was too angry to respond as I watched him turn and walk away.

I stared at his retreated figure for a moment before turning around to face Mikey, every emotion boiling up to the surface as embarrassment enveloped me.

"What the hell is wrong with you!?"  I yelled, taking several steps towards him.

"Me?  What about you!  What the hell was that?"  He responded just as loudly.

"That is none of your damn business!"  I barked.

"It is my business!"  He barked back.

"No Mikey, it isn't!  What I choose to do and who I choose to do it with is none of your concern! You do not get to embarrass me like that!"

"Sam —" Dom tried to interrupt.

"No!"  I exclaimed, switching my attention to him.  "I don't want to hear it!  You are just as bad as he is."

He opened his mouth to speak but appeared to be thrown off by me yelling at him.  I had never raised my voice like this at him before.

"Sam you have no idea who he is," Mikey explained.

"Oh please!  Tell me the names of all the girls you've kissed, I'll make it easy on you and let you attempt only first names."

"It's not the same thing!"  He exclaimed, throwing his hands up in the air.

"Oh it isn't?  How?"  I raised an angry eyebrow expectantly.

"He's using you," he tried to reason.

All the pair of eyes on me felt like it was multiplied by a hundred as anger, hurt and embarrassment began to consume every inch of me and it took everything in me not to break into tears.

I didn't cry easily, but here I was holding it back because of these two idiot boys.

"So what if he is?  Have you ever thought about the fact that maybe I'm using him too?!"  I let out, hating myself for hearing the break in my voice.

"What the hell are all of you staring at?"  Dom shouted at the onlookers, finally noticing all the curious eyes on me.  "Get the hell off the property!"

Mikey looked dumbstruck at my words.  "You what?"

"I'm not a naive little girl!"  I said angrily.  "I'm not trying to fall in love and find a soulmate, I'm just trying to have some fun.  So yeah, if I want to make out with someone and enjoy their company then I will.  That doesn't mean I'm going to get my heart broken, it just means I'm trying to live a little and it is not your place to take that away from me or judge me for it."

Mikey stood there staring for a second.  Apparently unsure of what to say.

"Sam—" He started.

"Don't," I interrupted, holding my hand up.  The anger in my voice had finally deescalated, subsiding completely as sadness enveloped me.  I felt drained.  "I don't want to hear it."

Dom made a move to step forward, noticing the shift in my demeanor.  "From either of you," I stopped it.

I turned away from them, away from the house and the embarrassing memory and just started walking down the dark streets lit by lamps, needing to get away from everything and everyone. 

From the music still blasting inside, from my brother and his friend, from my loneliness...  From my feelings.

I heard Dom call my name but I kept walking and didn't stop.

My legs just kept moving forward on their own accord, one foot in front of the other as if they had a mind of their own. I didn't care where I was walking or that it was pitch black outside, with nothing but the street lamps to light the empty path ahead or that I didn't have my phone on me and that it was actually really creepy being out here all alone.

None of this registered until I'd been walking for several minutes and the sight of the house filled with drunk teenagers was no longer in sight.

Before actual regret filled me, a familiar voice called out from behind.

"Sam!"

I couldn't help the little startled jump from the sound of his voice.  I turned my head to see Dom walking up from behind me, several feet away.  He must have came after me but I had been too lost in my own head to notice.

I was conflicted with feelings of slight relief at the sight of him and annoyance. It took a split second to debate on which emotion to play by.

I turned forward and kept walking, ignoring him.

Yup, annoyance won.

"Sam wait up," he called again.

"Go away," I simply responded, not slowing down.

"For fuck sacks Sam, where do you think you're going?" He hollered.

I didn't respond, largely because I had no clue where I was trying to walk to.

He let out a loud exasperated puff of air.  "Sam will you slow down for a second?"

"No."

He mumbled a few inappropriate words.  "Dammit Sam, I can't drive right now and I don't feel like walking all night."

"Then go back," I responded stubbornly.

To be honest I really didn't feel like walking anymore either but he'd never know that.

He let out a snort as he continued to follow from behind.  "Yeah like I'm going to just leave you here.  Will you just stop for a second and hear me out?"

"Go back to your friend Dominic."

"You are so damn stubborn!"  He cursed and I heard him pick up his pace and suddenly he was in front of me.

I halted.  "Leave me alone Dom."

He towered over me a few feet away but still entirely close enough for me to register all his features.  Even in a situation like this, where I'm angry at the asshole, I couldn't help but notice how the moonlight reflected in his intense eyes.

"No just listen really quick," he responded.

"Why should I?"

"Because you're right, okay?"  He let out, catching my attention by surprise.

His firm chest heaved up and down as he let out a deep breath.  "You're right, what happened back there was out of line and you didn't deserve that.  We overreacted and I'm sorry."

I stared at him in shock, unsure of what to say.  Hearing him actually apologize with no games was a strange thing to experience.  I had been expecting excuses and possibly jokes, but not this.

"So you think an apology just makes it all better?"

He shook his head.  "No, of course not.  Mikey was wrong and so was I," he explained.

Okay, so he really was serious.

"But in Mikey's defense—"

And there it was.

I let out an unbelievable laugh.  "Seriously?!"  I immediately tried stepping past him but was blocked.  It wasn't hard for him to do considering how small I was compared to him.

"Just wait okay?  In his defense, we were caught off guard," he finished.

I rolled my eyes at him.  "Bullshit.  You've never seen people make out before?"

"No one was expecting to see you—" he faltered, searching for the right words.  His mouth opened and closed several times as his reflective eyes search my own, trying to will it to show me what he was trying to say.  "It's just that we weren't expecting to see that, okay?  You and him like that.  And it's a stupid as hell excuse but it's the truth and it doesn't make it any less wrong because obviously you have every right to be with whoever you want.  It was just a shock, okay?  You've always been Sam and tonight it was like you weren't anymore."  His expression looked pained as he finished.

I stared at him, trying to fully register his words.  It was hard to remain mad when here he was, being so uncharacteristically unsure of himself as he tried to explain.

"I'm still Sam," I mumbled, surprised that my voice came out in a low whisper.

"I know and that's the weird part," he was looking at me with another expression I couldn't read and it was beginning to feel unsettling how I could no longer read him as easily.  "I guess it sort of put things in perspective."

"What things?"  I asked, unsure why I suddenly felt fidgety.  And dammit, why did my voice sound so weak and out of breath?

His  brown eyes were intense as he held mine for a moment longer before looking away out at nothing in particular.  When he finally looked back, whatever expression that had clouded them was gone. Replaced with one of nonchalance.

He looked like Dom again.

"Nothing, I'm not making any sense.  I must have had too much to drink."  He explained casually.

Whatever I had imagined had disappeared and I had no clue what to say to him and it was the strangest thing because I always had a response for Dom.  But he wasn't acting like himself and I wasn't sure I knew how to be around this version of him.

"Will you come back to the house now?"  He asked, breaking the silence.  Did he feel it too?  Whatever it was...

I finally let out a deep sigh.  The last thing I wanted to do was stand here in the dead of night but I was also way too stubborn for my own good.

"Come on Sam,  I really don't feel like walking all night but I will if I have too.  You know my ass is just as stubborn as yours," he looked at me expectantly and I had to fight the stupid smile that wanted to escape my lips over his stubborn ass.

"Fine," I huffed out, turning around without another word.

"Smart girl," he said, smirking happily as he walked alongside me.

We were quiet for a moment, listening to the silent night that was broken by the sound of hidden crickets chirping until he finally spoke.

"I know you're a big girl and capable of making your own decisions but—"

"Oh my God," I let out in exasperation.  Was he serious right now?

"Shut up and listen for a second because I have to say this," he said, continuing our stride back down to the house.  "I know you said it's not serious with Jack but regardless just be careful, okay?"

The tone in his voice was so dead serious that I nearly tripped on my own feet for a second.

"Okay," I simply responded.

There wasn't anything else to say as we silently made our way back.

Author's Note:

What do you guys think???! What are your thoughts of Jack? Was Mikey (obviously) out of line? What do you think is going on in Dom's head?

LET ME KNOW!

Please like and comment and share!

Thank you so much!

Next Chapter will be up on Thursday :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.8M 1.1M 68
Deadly assassins Allegra and Ace have been trying in vain to kill each other for years. With a mutual enemy threatening their mafias, they find thems...