Casters (Book One: Star Caste...

By mcandr1

Emery Ellison thinks she has the world all figured out. According to her magic users are enemy number one. Th... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter twenty seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter thirty-five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two

Chapter Thirty One

443 53 16
By mcandr1

Casters... are not what I thought they were. They have everyday issues just like non-casters. They have things to worry about like bullies, student elections, test scores. It's all the same. Just like non-casters, they have their hierarchies, the popular kids, the school officials, a government system that regulates your every move.

It's all the same.

The only difference I can find is that one has powers while the other doesn't. But even then, what's the point of having powers if you aren't allowed to use them? So many restrictions and regulations, rules, and consequences. This whole time I thought having powers was an unfair advantage, and maybe it is a little. I mean I can teleport, come on.

But it also has major drawbacks, like almost being killed for being mind locked with someone. Almost being killed for getting blasted in the wrong spot. Almost being killed when you use too much power. Did I say almost being killed yet? Because let me tell you, the number of times I've almost died these past few weeks alone is astronomical.

At this rate, I'll never make it to my thirties.

"What are you thinking about?" Asherah asks me.

A lot of things. How wrong I was. How bizarre this whole situation is. How scary it can be when all it takes is for one thing to go wrong and suddenly your life is on the line. It's all just... so much.

After Darko cried it out in my arms, it wasn't long before campus security came and got me from my room. Apparently, I am only one of two people in the whole world who can teleport like that. The other is in the hospital. Who knew? Anyway, it was easy for them to track me down and drag me to Asherah's office and plop me down in front of her.

Her office is nothing like I imagined it would be. I guess I have the office of my old school principal as my preset, but it's nothing like that. There is vegetation and light everywhere. Big windows and ivy growing on the walls. Lots of different colors of flowers in pots in the window seals. A small cactus on her desk. The walls are painted white, with a gold trim making the room look a lot bigger than it actually is.

She has a hammock hanging from the ceiling, big oval chairs with green pillow cushions inside. There is even this water fountain thing that has fake birds on it, against the wall. It makes it look like a waterfall is falling over some rocks. It fills the air with a light trickling water sound. Everything is just so serene.

It's almost hard to believe I might be in trouble.

Almost.

"Emery?" Asherah says to draw me out of my funk and force me to pay attention.

"Am I in trouble?" I ask.

"That depends."

"On?"

"Exactly what happened out there. I brought you in because I know it's impossible for you to get away with a lie at this point in your development."

"That's not fair," I frown at her.

"The world is not fair."

She has a point.

"Well, I didn't do anything but defend myself. Those guys were picking on Darko, so I went to stop it. Then they attacked me! Zapped me and blasted like a whole freaking blizzard at me. Which is like, so uncool. I almost lost eyelashes because of them!"

Asherah lets out a heavy sigh and shakes her head at me.

"I did! Plus no one told me teleporting would be freaking hard and draining. Cyrene makes it look so easy." I pout.

"I'll look into the incident," She says.

"Good, those jerks need to be put in their place."

"Now, any reason why you missed all your morning classes today?"

I feel my heart rate spike.

"Emery?" she narrows her eyes at me.

"I was with Vega," I mumble.

"Why?"

"We were like, hanging out." I shrug and avoid her gaze.

"So you skipped, together?"

"She was just trying to help me." I quickly explain.

"Help you with what?"

"She's been tutoring me on the whole caster thing. But I am more than a little behind. So she has been helping me try and nail the basics. I guess we are like sort of friends now." I explain.

"Emery, you shouldn't skip classes."

"I know," I say.

"Star Casters," she shakes her head.

I smirk and raise an eyebrow. She blushes but quickly goes on, "Cyrene was just like you when she was younger. Always trying to outdo herself. Skipping classes to hang out with friends. Getting involved in things that didn't pertain to her. A real hard head."

"Were you the person she skipped classes with?" I tease.

Her blush deepens.

I giggle.

"Enough about that, we should talk about your media meeting."

"Why did you break up with her if you still like her?" I ask.

"Focus, please."

"You didn't deny it."

She clenches her jaw, clearly embarrassed.

"Come on, tell me, I won't tell her, promise."

She huffs.

"Please?"

"Why are you so interested in our relationship?"

"I find it fascinating. At first, I thought no way you two ever dated, you are so different. But the more I see the more I think you two are actually made for each other. You'd make a cute couple. Plus, you are way better than Lorelei."

She sighs, "It feels like it all happened a long time ago."

"Yeah?"

"We were both getting ready to graduate and trying to figure out what we wanted to be in life, where we wanted to go. Cyrene has always been a loose cannon. Very unpredictable. She wanted to go to the pros, but no one would have her. I tried to warn her it was too suspicious. That, someone, was messing with her. I tried to talk her out of it, but she wouldn't hear it. She felt like she had a duty to uphold the Star Caster legacy. To bring star casters back into the conversation. I didn't want her to join the celestial council... I guess we just grew apart. We had different goals in life. Different places we had to be. But irony knows no bounds. Because here she is, back by my side. Her presence mocks me and my mistakes."

"Ah-ha! So you admit it, breaking up with her was a mistake."

"I don't know, maybe. I wasn't even supposed to end up here, but life had other plans for me. Being headmaster wasn't my dream. I wanted to travel the world, help struggling nations and countries with their dwindling vegetation. Feed the starving. Help the homeless. Make the world a better place. My gifts are wasted here." She sighs.

"Emm." Can't argue with that. Ruling over a bunch of entitled knuckleheads isn't my idea of a dream job either.

"It's all history, as they say, can't change anything now. That was a few years ago."

"How'd you end up here?" I ask.

"That's a long story. Long story short, the old headmaster knew my family personally. And took a liking to me when I was attending here. When they passed, their last request was that I get this position. I was a bit surprised at the offer but took it out of respect. My family and I haven't been close in a while, they never accepted my sexual orientation. When they reached out to me, I jumped at the chance to make a connection with them. But... it was only temporary." She stares sadly at her cactus.

"I'm sorry," I say.

"Well," she sighs. "It is what it is. Now, can we get back to what we are supposed to be doing?"

I nod.

For the rest of the day, she goes on about what I can and cannot say to the media. About how I should present myself. About how the media will try and bait me. Apparently being headmaster of Belmore allows her a lot of experience with media interviews. She tells me what I should wear, how I should talk, how much I should smile. To be honest I feel like I've learned more from Asherah in these few hours than I have from anyone on any topic in my whole life. She's a really good teacher.

She lets me go when it's time for dinner with the promise that I will meet her first thing in the morning to escorted to my interview.

I drag myself to the cafeteria where people move out of my and mumble behind my back. I eye them in confusion before grabbing my food and sitting at the usual table next to Darko.

"What's up with them?" I ask.

"Someone filmed you helping me fight back. It was spread around campus. I think... they respect you?" he supplies.

"Hmm... or fear me," I mumble.

"Or that."

We look at each other and giggle.

Nerissa slides in next to me and hands me note cards.

"To say to the media." She supplies.

"Are you always so extra?" I ask.

"Yes," Ro joins us.

Nerissa shoots her a dirty look which makes us all laugh.

"Did you get our first sponsor?" I ask.

"Err yes and no."

"Hey," Bastion joins us, in his workout clothes.

"Yes they will back us, but only if we can get at least one other backer to go in too."

I sigh.

"It doesn't help that, that video got spread around." She points out.

"They started it." I stab my food.

"Looks like your media meeting is our last hope."

Just great.

"Told you my manager is picky." Bastion says.

"Couldn't you talk to him for us?" I beg.

"Nu-uh, no way. I'm on thin ice as it is."

I sigh.

When did my life get so complicated?

Meet with the media, plan a campaign, stop bullies. Not to mention figure out what is happening to me, master my powers, and find out if it has anything to do with a time caster. Did I mention make friends and try and fit in? It's all so... much.

I quickly finish up my meal and head back to my room to try and memorize these talking points when my phone rings. It's mom, I answer.

"Hey," I say.

"Hey baby, how are you?"

"Okay, I'm going to be on tv tomorrow."

She groans.

"In a good way!" I quickly add.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm being interviewed about my experience here at Belmore. Guess I'm a hot topic at the moment. Things have been pretty crazy around here, but like, I've made some friends now. So that's a plus."

"Good! I'm so proud of you sweety, I knew you could do it. How are classes?"

"Good, I can teleport already, which is really cool. And handy."

"I'll be sure to relay that to your brother."

"Yeah, tell him I am one teleport away from giving him a knuckle sandwich."

She laughs.

I smile.

"Well, I was just checking on you. I don't want to hold you up."

"It's fine," I quickly say. "I... I kind of missed your voice," I admit.

She's silent for a moment.

"Love you, mom, I mean it. I know sometimes I can be... difficult, but I love you. I always have. And I'm sorry if I ever like hurt your feelings and stuff." I kick at the ground.

I hear her sniffle on the line.

"Please tell me you aren't crying, because then I'll cry and it will be a whole thing," I say.

"I can't help it!" she defends herself.

I giggle.

"I miss you so much." She says.

"I miss you too, and Alec, but don't tell him that."

That gets her to laugh.

"So tell me everything then, what's it like there?" she asks.

So I go into details about the people I've met. The councils and my professors. I tell her all about my new friends and how I stood up to my bullies. I tell her about Cyrene and Asherah and about the books I've read. I just go on and on until I realize how late it is and shiver from the cold.

"Well I should get going," I say.

"Okay, I'll be sure to watch for you on tv tomorrow."

"Okay, love you, mom. Goodnight."

"Night." She hangs up.

I glance down at the note cards in my hand and look at the time before sighing and jogging to my room. It's going to be another long night. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

164 13 13
She didn't want this life but this life wanted her. A year after the murder of her best friend, Aria discovers that she is one of the few to be a "Bl...
11.6K 1.3K 51
After her life was turned upside down by being turned into a Caster, she was forced to go to Belmore the school of Mystic Arts. Emery has begun to fi...
101K 4.7K 38
In a world torn between heroes and villains, it can be a dangerous and hostile place. Some take comfort in the Gifted that stand up against those wh...
1.9K 370 32
Life has not been kind to Erica Winters. Hardened by her past and facing an uncertain future, she just wants to get by. Then she is recruited to join...