MERCHANT ADVENTURER

By Hiromi_Hamada

A young teen is framed for a crime he didn't commit. While he is locked up, he gains a fortune angel who hel... More

Framed
Not A Guardian Angel
Tradeshop
How Bothersome!
Rules
A Room With A View
Conspiracy
Released
Tavern
Departure
Beggar Boy
Bath
You Want to Follow Me?
Stroke of Good Luck
Midas
Bestowing A Name
Thoughts On The Road
Camping For The Night
Tricking Midas
Stubborn
Road Warden
Playing Around
Shy
Lords And Serfs
The Bawdy House
A Stranger
Practice Makes Perfect
Miasma
Septimus
Stormy Skies
Illness
The Nobleman's Kindness
Name Change
Letter of Introduction
Alesburg (1)
Alesburg (2)
Alesburg (3)
Alesburg (4)
On The Move Again
A New Group Made Up Of Familiar Faces
Ambush (1)
Ambush (2)
Ambush (3)
Mileston
Letter Delivery
Backtracking to Alesburg
Treasure
Bandits
A New Companion
Alesburg Again
Guard's Runaway Wife
Preparations For Oxburg
Kidnapped
Cellar of Gems
Escaped
Back In Alesburg
Oxburg At Last
Letter Delivered
A New Problem
Cracked Voice
Receiving a Rich Treasure
Refugees
Lady Klein
Confession
Salsburg
Salsburg's Secrets
Septimus Appears
Truth
Raine's True Name
Dauphina
A Private Discussion
Feeding the Masses
Septimus' Mortal Status
Lakeburg
Settlement
War Looms On the Horizon
Lord Bromwell
Eris
Exchange
Abduction
The Power of Transformation
Search

Sparring of Words

5 1 0
By Hiromi_Hamada

The moment Septimus left, I heard Jonas and Enola break out in a horrific shouting match. I felt a touch of fear and discomfort. Would it be proper for me to go out and watch their marital fight?

Or should I stay here and wait it out? But if I stayed here, I wouldn't be able to step in if things turned ugly.

The loud shouts woke Raine up. He listened to the ruckus for a while before probing, "What's wrong?"

I lifted a finger to my lips and indicated for him to lower his voice. Not that I thought anyone would pay attention to us amid the raised voices of the couple outside.

"Let's go out," I told him in a low voice.

He clearly didn't have any enthusiasm, but he still followed me outside.

After exiting the tent, I didn't see Midas. This made me grow nervous. Had she chased after Septimus? And who exactly was this Septimus? Another angel? But it didn't seem like Midas was on friendly terms with him.

I walked a few steps towards the roaring bonfire with Raine in tow. I sat down, skewered a fish with a clean, whittle down branch and then handed it over to Raine. Then I began to roast my own fish. The other men who came back early this morning had all hidden themselves. Only Garlan was watching the marital fight.

I saw him look over at me and I raised my roasting fish upwards. This was my way of indicating he could come over to roast fish, but Garlan only shook his head, before returning his focus to the couple fighting in front of him.

I was glad Garlan was supervising the situation. If it was me, I would be put in such an awkward position. So overwhelmed would I be, that I wouldn't know how to react since I had never encountered such a situation before.

Enola's shrill voice invaded my ears. "You've not only betrayed my trust, but you've also selfishly spent our hard earned money."

"On the road we can't do anything," Jonas yelled back. "I don't see how I'm wrong for having a little fun."

Fuming with rage, Enola reached out and slapped Jonas on the cheek, stunning him momentarily.

"How dare you!" Angry at having been embarrassed in front of others, Jonas moved to return his wife's slap.

Raine buried his head in my shoulder. Before the slap landed, Garlan reached out and held Jonas' hand in place.

"Both of you ought to use your words and not your hands," Garlan said firmly. His tone showed there was no need for any quibbling.

Enola burst into tears. Maybe she had been holding it in for a while now. And when she realized her husband was ready to lay his hands on her, the emotional dam finally broke.

Jonas pulled his hand out of Garlan's grasp. "This is my family business," he shouted angrily at Garlan.

It was obvious his anger had been displaced from Enola and onto Garlan.

Author's Note: The title of this chapter was inspired by 西瓜JUN's [无聊]MV. If you haven't heard this song yet, please check it out on BiliBili. 😊

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 43 17
Imagine a world where mythological creatures exist. From the beings living in the heavens, the supernatural creatures on Earth, to the horrifying dem...
987 154 38
Some people write for fun, and some do it because it bring fortune to them and their are some who do it because they don't know how to express their...
475 21 43
____________________________________ Story description: - When a boy grows too fond of a childhood friend when moving back into state, he slowly los...
18.5K 371 9
When Claire gets forced into a fake relationship for business with a douchebag she just met, her heart shatters into pieces that can never be put tog...