tournament | ninjago {featuri...

By VioletPixels

The Ninja weren't sure what to expect when they boarded the ferry, sailing away from the familiar world of Ni... More

rules + application [closed]
final roster!
prologue
01 | setting sail
02 | chen's island
03 | early thoughts
04 | free for all
05 | truth
06 | versus
07 | sleepless nights
08 | the fight continues
09 | maze runners
11 | into the jungle
12 | the forgotten element
13 | turning tides
14 | the final battle
15 | sunset
epilogue
author's note
Anyone Interested?

10 | boiling tension

140 11 32
By VioletPixels

The only positive part of Kira's morning is being reunited with Cole.

He looks shocked to see her when she joins the rest of the fallen elementals, wearing a work jumpsuit and a bandage over her burnt arm. The eyes of Rose, Ray, Ivan, Taylor, Samuel, and Katlain all widen when they see her, their expressions a mix of surprise and sympathy. There's no time to talk, though, as they're all quickly chained together and lined up, led to the noodle factory by one of Chen's cultists. Cole and Kira trudge along at the very back.

"Lloyd beat you?" Cole whispers to Kira over his shoulder.

"I...I had to make sure he moved on," she responds. "I don't regret it."

The former earth ninja shakes his head sadly. The group keeps going, chains clinking as they lumber wordlessly through the island's tunnels. It's not long before they pass by a cell, but only Cole and Kira notice a familiar voice coming from inside.

"I don't know, Pixal...I sense these chains are unbreakable."

The two ninja stop dead in their tracks. They exchange glances, thinking the same thing, and sneak off toward the sound without hesitation. Of course, them stopping makes everyone else grind to a halt.

"What's the hold up?" growls the guard.

Rose glances over her shoulder, noticing the two, and thinks quickly. "One second!" she calls. "I'm just, um, tying my shoe!" Cole and Kira both shoot her a grateful look as the guard stops to wait.

"Zane? Is that you?" Cole whispers, peering into the cell window. Kira tries to look in too, having to stand on her tip-toes to do so.

Shuffling reaches their ears. Something moves in the shadows of the cell. Then, a pair of glowing, icy blue eyes appears, blinking at them curiously.

"Zane!" Kira gasps. "You're alive!" She sniffs, tears starting to prick at her eyes. "Oh, we thought we'd never see you again..."

Cole laughs out of pure joy. "Boy, it's great to see you! Look at that, you look brand new!"

"Titanium," the nindroid responds. His voice now has an echoing quality to it, making him all the more robotic.

At the front of the line, the guard finally realizes it doesn't take two full minutes to tie a shoe. He growls and stalks toward the end of the line. Kira notices and nudges her friend.

"Hold tight, lugnut," says Cole. "We're gettin' you out of here. That's a promise." Kira nods, determination evident on her face.

"Where are the Ninja?" demands the guard. He pushes Rose aside, only to come face-to-face with the former masters of earth and crystal.

"Right here, of course," Kira responds, smiling innocently. "Where else could we have gone?"

The cultist harrumphs and turns away, dragging everyone else with him as they continue on to the factory. When everyone arrives as the sun rises, Cole and Kira are suddenly quite cheerful, humming and smiling as they work together to make a batch of fortune cookies.

"What's got you two so happy?" Ivan asks, raising a brow.

"Things are lookin' up, Ivan!" Cole tells him. "We came here to find a friend, and we found him! All we gotta do now is get to Zane and bust him out."

"Zane?" Samuel's eyes widen. "As in...the Ice Ninja? He's alive?"

"Yeah, I thought he exploded," Taylor adds. Ray nods in agreement, looking confused.

"He did," Kira says. "But he survived! Must've rebuilt himself."

"So how exactly are you going to free him?" asks Rose. Her gaze shifts warily to the guards posted around the room. "Chen's made it nearly impossible to escape this place."

"We're still working on the details," Kira admits. "But Zane's practically a walking computer. If we can get to him, I'm sure he'll be able to solve anything Chen throws at us."

"First order of business, though," says Cole, "we gotta let the others know we're busting him out." He scribbles something on a slip of paper and slides it into a fortune cookie, placing it on Kira's tray.

"A message in a cookie?" she eyes him. "Smart...but risky."

Cole shrugs and takes the tray of cookies from her, handing it to the nearest guard. "Special order for the banquet's ready!" he chirps. Everyone watches as the tray is carried out of the factory.

"I hope we have the good fortune for it to end up in the right hands," Kira murmurs.

"You and me both. Now all we have to do is figure out how to get out of here."

"Um..." Katlain arches a brow. "With all of us, right?"

Kira smiles. "Absolutely."

——————————

In Chen's throne room, the remaining fighters gather at a table, feasting on the most luxurious breakfast they've had all tournament. Kabuki dance around in flashes of colorful kimonos, and soft, traditional-sounding music plays over the speakers.

"Congratulations to you eight for making it to the second round!" Chen says from his throne. "I hope you all appreciate the celebratory banquet I have prepared for you."

"Oh, we do," Lemon says as she stuffs her face. Melody, Razhai, Apollo, and Rain look equally content, but Lloyd is uneasy, picking at his food.

"You can relax, Lloyd," Kai tells him. "Even if there was a fight, now that we told the others about Chen's plot to steal our powers, we're safe in our secret alliance."

"We'll need to act soon," Garmadon warns them. "Each fighter that loses gives Chen strength. Soon, he'll be too powerful for even all of you combined to overcome."

At the head of the room, Clouse murmurs something to Chen. The old master listens intently, then stands and starts to speak. "It has come to my attention that there are rumors floating about that I am stealing everyone's power. I am."

Everyone gasps.

"But it's all for this staff!" He claps his hands and is instantly flocked by Kabuki. "No, no, not you, staff! I mean my real staff!"

Clouse approaches, holding something the Ninja are all too familiar with. "Behold, the Staff of Elements!" says Chen. "It holds the power of your fallen foes, and soon it'll hold all but one. For the last standing in my Tournament will win this prize, and be the greatest fighter in the history of Ninjago!"

Everyone instantly gets to whispering, eyes flickering to the staff with interest. There's no doubt how much such a prize could be worth, and even with money taken out of the equation, who wouldn't want that much power?

"You lie!" Lloyd jumps to his feet, glaring daggers at the old man. "What about the spell?"

"Spell? What spell?" says Clouse.

"Everyone, don't believe him. It's just another trick. Lemon read Clouse's mind and saw it. Tell them what you saw, Lemon."

Every pair of eyes in the room locks on Lemon. The little blonde hesitates and shifts in place, looking incredibly uncomfortable with the sudden attention. She opens her mouth, only to choke on her words as Chen and Clouse both shoot her dangerous glares. Their eyes both hold a warning: "say the wrong thing, and there will be consequences".

"I...I don't remember," she stammers, tugging at a lock of hair.

"Come to think of it, why should we be so quick to believe everything you say?" Melody asks, arching a brow at Lloyd. "How do we know you're not lying to get the staff for yourself?" The others murmur, their expressions ranging from pensive to flat-out distrustful.

The Green Ninja bristles. "I—"

"Oh! By the way," Chen adds, "I was going to give all of you fancy jewels and untold treasures, as a thank you for participating in my Tournament. But then, in this morning's battle, Masters Lloyd and Kira tried to undermine me by refusing to fight...and that made me very upset." His grip on the staff tightens, eyes darkening. "For their insubordination, all of your fancy quarters will be taken away, and tonight everyone must sleep together in the chow house. That is all!"

If the other Elementals weren't already ticked at the Ninja, that little tidbit did the trick. The room fills with sighs and grumbles of annoyance, and Lloyd flinches as he's slammed with more than a few dirty looks.

"So much for the alliance," mutters Garmadon. "Seems they believe Chen over you."

"It's not their fault," Lloyd mutters. "Chen's deception did this. They're here to compete, after all...it makes sense they'd want to win."

One of the Kabuki approaches. Jay attempts to speak, only to grunt with irritation as she starts fanning him a little too closely. "If we're gonna convince anyone, argh, we need proof. Ugh! We need too, oof, find that spell." He finally loses his patience and glares at the servant girl. "WOULD YOU CUT IT OUT?!"

"Jay, it's me." She moves her fan, revealing a familiar face adorned in makeup.

"Nya?" Everyone gasps.

"Lower your voices!" she whisper-hisses. "I'm undercover, and to be completely honest, a bit out of my element." Her face softens. "I heard what happened to Cole and Kira. I'm so sorry."

"Don't worry," Lloyd responds."We'll make it right...I hope."

"It's wonderful to see you again, Nya," says Garmadon, "but why have you come here?"

"I was worried about where you all had gone, so I did a little tracking. Found out you were here and figured you could probably use some help, so here I am!"

Her brother's eyes spark with concern. "Please tell me you didn't come alone."

"I didn't. Dareth's also on the island, and in contact via a mobile base."

"Whaddup, Ninja?" Dareth says from her bracelet.

"Hey, if you're undercover, that means you can get close to Clouse's spell book. All we know is that it's on page 149. I think he might have it in his quarters."

"I'll look into it. And it sounds like you have your work cut out for you too."

"How so?" asks Jay.

"How do you think they found out about your little alliance? You might have a spy in your circle of trust..."

"A spy?"

At the loud exclamation, Clouse's head snaps toward them. Nya quickly hides her face and scurries off to join the other Kabuki. Jay sighs and dejectedly cracks open his fortune cookie. His entire face brightens as he reads the little slip inside.

"No way!" He gasps. "My fortune says that Cole, Zane, and Kira are breaking out!" He sniffs, looking ready to cry tears of joy. "They found him, guys! Zane's alive!"

"Oh, thank the Master!" Kai manages a smile. "So coming here wasn't a total bust."

"Yes, but let us not lose focus," Garmadon warns. "If Nya is right, we have more pressing issues than finding Zane."

"Right...a potential spy." Jay's eyes narrow. "Who do you think it could be?"

Lloyd's gaze shoots to Apollo, who's sitting beside Melody. He says something to her, prompting her to snort with laughter and sock him playfully in the arm.

"I have my suspicions."

——————————

"It's time."

Cole looks up with a glint in his eye. The other former Elementals gather around him, trying not attract attention from the guards.

"You all know the plan, right?" he asks them.

"'Course." Katlain smirks. "Let's do this."

Cole nods. With that, he takes off across the factory, reaches the noodle machine, and does the one thing he's been longing to do since he first got to the factory: eat.

"Oh no!" Kira cries with plenty of dramatic flair. "The earth ninja's eating the merchandise!"

"Somebody stop him!" Taylor calls, trying her hardest not to laugh.

The guards snap into action, growling and racing toward Cole. The black ninja hops off the noodle machine and flees.

"You all are way too slow!" Rose shouts to the cultists. "He's getting away!"

Cole reaches a conveyor belt, this one overrun with fortune cookies. "LET THERE BE FOOD!" he hollers as he hurls the cookies at the guards, who yelp and shield themselves. Katlain whoops and whistles, the others joining her in cheering him on.

The former earth ninja keeps going. He grabs a rope of noodles, tethers it to the ceiling, and starts swinging across the room like Tarzan on a vine.

"Go Cole!" Samuel calls, beaming. Noodle pokes his head out from the pocket of their jumpsuit, wiggling eagerly, while Ray smiles and claps his hands.

The moment quickly ends as the noodle rope snaps. Cole falls, landing right in the arms of a guard.

"Oh, hey there!" he chirps. "You got any cake?"

The guard proceeds to drag him out of the factory. Kira watches with a smile on her face. Ray gives her a quizzical look, wondering why she seems so happy.

"Trust me," she says. "He knows what he's doing."

——————————

Cole isn't the least bit worried when he's thrown into the dungeon. The moment the guards leave, he whips out the keys (which he'd managed to steal during the altercation) and makes his move.

He unlocks the door and sneaks through the tunnels, retracing his steps to Zane's cell. He finds it fairly quickly, unlocks it, and hurries inside. His titanium friend is exactly where he'd left him. His eyes are screwed shut as he shifts and shudders, his chains jingling with his movements. Cole hurries over and gently shakes him awake.

"Zane! Wake up!"

The nindroid's eyes snap open, the glowing blue almost blinding in the darkness. He perks up when he finally sees his friend. "Cole! You came back for me..."

"Of course I did." The earth ninja frees him from the chains and helps him to his feet. "Are you okay? You seemed stressed when I came in."

The nindroid hestiates. "I was...having a strange dream, that's all. Think nothing of it."

"Well, in that case..." Cole practically pounces on his friend, squeezing him in a tight bear hug and patting his back. "Can you feel the love?"

"Um...no. But...the others. Are they alright?"

"They're fine, just...well, split up at the moment. It's a long story, but I'll explain on the way."

"On the way to where?"

"To the noodle factory." Cole clenches his fists. "We have to go back and free the rest of the Elemental Masters. Their powers were stolen, just like ours, and now they're being put to work."

"I understand. Please, lead the way."

They set off through the tunnels together, on a mission to free their fallen allies.

——————————

At Lloyd's request, the remaining fighters gather in a spare room that evening. Tension boils in the room like noodles in a pot; everyone stands a good distance away from each other (save for Melody and Apollo), and suspicious glances are cast all around.

"Thank you all for meeting us here," the Green Ninja says. "I would've had us meet in my room, but...well, we don't have those anymore."

"Yeah, thanks for that." Apollo folds his arms across his chest. "Look, I don't know about everyone else, but I ain't joining your little alliance. I'm gunning for that staff."

"This isn't about an alliance," Lloyd tells him. "We have reason to believe someone may be passing information to Chen, and no one leaves this room until we find out who it is."

"Why are you looking at me? I'm not your spy."

"We'll see."

Apollo scoffs indignantly. Melody scowls, looking less than pleased at the accusation.

"Maybe I can help." Lemon uses her mind powers. "Okay, I can say this much...someone here definitely bears some ill will."

"How do we know we can trust you?" Razhai challenges.

Lemon bristles. "You're not calling me a liar, are you?"

"Hate to say it...but for all we know, you could be."

"Hey, enough!" Lloyd interjects. "There has to be a more civilized way around this."

"There is." Garmadon speaks up for the first time. "Everyone who's ever worked for Chen has an Anacondrai tattoo on their back. Find the tattoo, find the spy. Does anyone object?"

The lack of response answers his question.

Razhai is the first to volunteer. She tugs down the collar of her shirt, just enough to show that she doesn't have a tattoo. "Am I allowed to leave now?"

"Not until we check everyone," says Lloyd. "Who's next? Rain goes, revealing herself to be tattooless. Melody goes after her, followed by Lemon.

"Your turn, Apollo."

The words are spoken just as the master of void disappears into a portal. He reappears at the doors, glaring daggers at Lloyd. "I'm not your spy, and I'm not your friend either, Green Ninja. That staff will be mine." He disappears through another portal, this time teleporting out of the room.

"There's our answer," Rain growls, ears flattening. "Apollo must be the spy."

"You don't know that!" Melody blurts. "Don't you all have anything better to do than throw baseless accusations at people? How do we even know there is a spy?"

"What other explanation is there?" Kai hisses. "And who else could it be? He's had it out for Lloyd since he got here, so why are you defending him?"

"Because you don't know him! Not like I do!"

"How exactly do you know him?" Razhai steps toward her, looking somewhere between curious and apprehensive.

"I..." Melody hesitates, teeth snagging on her lip. She heaves a deep breath and exhales, forcing herself to relax. "You know what? I won't argue with any of you. Believe what you want." She spins on her heel and heads for the doors.

"Mel, wait!" Lemon reaches for her friend. "Come back, let's talk this out—"

The girl's already stormed out of the room.

"Lemon, you can read minds." Kai rounds on the little blonde. "What was she talking about?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Lemon replies, turning slightly pink. "She and Apollo, they're—" she hesitates. "Never mind, actually. It's not my place to say."

She leaves the room before anyone else can question her. Razhai follows suit, and Rain trails after them, tail lashing. Before long, the Ninja and Garmadon stand alone.

"What happened to our alliance?" Jay croaks.

Lloyd laughs joylessly, feeling as if all hope has just disappeared down the drain. "What alliance?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.7K 417 35
Long Description, read the whole description please: After the time brothers and Sensei Wu's dissapearance, the ninjas dispanded and Lloyd remains th...
254K 4.6K 63
COMPLETED , DISCONTINUED | you might be asking urself, 'what's it like dating a piece of lego who is an elemental master and is also a ninja?' well...
299K 7.4K 25
(MY FIRST WRITING PROJECT, WILL CONSIST OF CRINGY WRITING + PLOT, SOME CHAPTERS ARE EDITED TO WORK BETTER. BUT, PLEASE BARE WITH ME, AS I HAVE MANAGE...
1K 20 12
Violet and her friends have been invited to participate in Master Chen's Tournament of Elements and find their friend. But, the tournament is a ruse...