The New Age - Emily Potter Se...

De IAmTheChildOfHades

22 years have passed since the Potter twins and their allies vanquished Lord Voldemort at the Battle of Hogwa... Mais

Old Faces Come Anew
Put A Name to The Face
And Watch Them Rise
Chapter One - Radio Silence
Chapter Two: The Annual Brunch
Chapter Three - Rumor Has It
Chapter Four: Weep for The Future
Chapter Five - The Dinner Party
Chapter Six: A Graceful Exit
Family Trees
Chapter Seven - Bottled Rage
Chapter Eight: Better Late Than Never
Chapter Nine - A Teenager In Love
Chapter Ten: A Long Way to The Top
Chapter Eleven - Ghostly Encounters
Chapter Twelve: Life As We Know it
Chapter Thirteen - All The Small Things
Chapter Fourteen: A Frosty Affair
Chapter Fifteen - I Think We're Alone Now
Chapter Sixteen: Breakfast Conundrum
Chapter Seventeen - All That Glitters
Chapter Eighteen: Splintered & Shattered
Chapter Nineteen - The Slug Club
Chapter Twenty: The Magic Within You
Chapter Twenty-One: Rose of The World
Chapter Twenty-Two - Let's Talk About Murder
Chapter Twenty-Three: Something Great
Chapter Twenty-Four - Nobody Compares
Chapter Twenty-Five: Crystal Balls & Overpriced Pillows
Chapter Twenty-Six - To New Beginnings
Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Burden of Growing Up
Chapter Twenty-Eight - The Christmas Ball, Part 1
Chapter Twenty-Eight: The Christmas Ball, Part 2
A/N: The End of A Year
Chapter Twenty-Eight - The Christmas Ball, Part 3
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Controlled Chaos
Chapter Thirty - Women In Power
Chapter Thirty-One: A Witch in The Family
Chapter Thirty-Three: Clean
Chapter Thirty-Four - The Loudest Silence
Chapter Thirty-Five: What Could Be
Chapter Thirty-Six - Toil & Trouble
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Paper Rings
Chapter Thirty-Eight - The Sisters Malfoy
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Wandmaker in The Making
Chapter Forty - Spotlight
Chapter Forty-One: Tolerate It
Chapter Forty-Two: Domino Effect
Chapter Forty-Three - Family Affairs
Chapter Forty-Four: Dearly Beloved
Chapter Forty-Five - Nightcap

Chapter Thirty-Two - Cheers For A New Year

184 10 11
De IAmTheChildOfHades

Freshly fallen snow coated the backyard of the Potter-Malfoy home all too beautifully, the big family almost didn't want to have to shovel it out of the way, but alas, when you have over thirty people for dinner, you can't exactly cram each and every one of them to the confines of the dining room. They had to resort to outdoor dining which pushed through like a breeze all thanks to Molly and Arthur's knowledge of climate control charms and soundproofing spells.

It was similar to the magic used during Bill and Fleur's wedding by The Burrow. A tent was pitched throughout the garden and was regulated to maintain the heating system from the house, soundproofing spells to avoid any breakage of the secrecy statutes, and an additional anti-combustion charm should there be any fireworks lit within the tent premises.

The climate control charms were easy enough to pull off, and it was proven even easier to maintain when they connected the tent to the house by just leaving the sliding glass doors open. It was mostly just the adults that were on-premises, cooking up the last touches for their family meal, setting up the many tables in the garden, and setting up more spells and charms to bewitch self-serving utensils to avoid another mince pie mishap of 2006.

"Oh, we've got another one, mum!" Minerva caught the postcard dropped by the Weasley-Johnson family owl. Emily looked up from the bowl of whipped cream and beamed at the glowing picture of George's family. He and Angelina wore matching burgundy Weasley sweaters with their respective initials while their daughters Molly Emilia and Esmerelda wore matching burgundy cardigans of the same effect. "Right, they're celebrating with Angelina's side of the family. Thank merlin those girls take on after their mother – go ahead and post that one with the others, Minnie darling."

Fred guffawed, clearly insulted. "Um, excuse me?"

Minnie and James stifled a laugh, the pair going on to admire the collection of holiday cards from various families such as the Zabinis, the Greengrass-Beaumonts, and now George's family.

Draco looked blankly at Fred, his face thinly veiled with glee. "She said she's glad that Lia and Elda take after their mum. I second that notion, actually, the world would suffer if there were more people that looked like George. Did you not hear Em right? I know a brilliant ENT that could take a look for you." He said, slowly breaking into a smile, unable to hold onto the joke any longer.

"Maybe while you're at it, look for an eye doctor, you git." Fred retorted, throwing orange peels at the Malfoys. Just then, Emily lit up and turned to her brother, her arm still vigorously whipping cream. "Right! Speaking of gits, I know you're still cross over the whole Dudley thing –"

Harry sights and takes the bowl of whipped cream from his sister and begins to assemble the berry trifle. "Cross doesn't even cover it. But it's fine, do what you must, just don't ask me to speak to him." Emily took a sliced strawberry and stressfully ate it, "Harry, that is literally what I'm asking of you. C'mon now, he's trying."

James exchanged a furtive glance at Minnie and Addy who seemed to know more on the matter at hand, curious, he spoke up. "Who are we talking about now?" He asked his father and aunt. Emily smiled softly at him and then turned to Harry, "Your father and I have a muggle cousin, and he stopped by a few days ago to let us know that his daughter is a witch. And that he would very much appreciate seeing his cousin after all these years." She emphasized word for word while her brother sliced bananas.

"Those years wouldn't have to pile up had he answered my letters and returned my calls." He curtly responded, haphazardly slicing cubes of pound cake. Emily took the knife away from him and motioned for Harry to just assemble the dessert while she did the prep, "And it'll be years more if you keep on being a drama queen."

Draco cleared his throat and finally caught his brother-in-law's attention. "He did look sincere, mate. And he's also surprisingly short compared to what you've described when you last told me about Dudley."

Emily let out an airy laugh while she finished up slicing the last pieces of fruit. "You don't tell your kids about their muggle uncle, but you do with my husband? What, do you two braid each other's hair and share things that have plagued your souls?" She teasingly mocked, grabbing the offset spatula to smooth over the layer of whipped cream before proceeding to let Harry go on with the next layers of the trifle.

"Not recently. Though we do have a date coming up before I have to go back to Hogwarts." Harry coolly answered with a suggestive wink to which Draco warmly responded, Emily rolled her eyes at them and threw banana peels at their faces. The men winced and leaned in forward to let the fruit peels fall off onto the countertop. "While that is very funny and kind of sweet, please take this seriously, Harry – "

"I am taking it seriously, I've spoken to the family solicitor on taking on Draco as my own spouse and - "

"Harry," Emily interjected with a startling warning tone that earned Harry a few "Oh, you're in trouble" looks from his nieces, child, and brothers-in-law. "We're all he's got now. I don't think Petunia and Vernon are amused by the outcome of these events. You know how much they bloody adored Dudley – and how much they despised us. And as much as I want to believe that the years might have softened their cold, prejudice elitist hearts, it might not be the case."

Minnie furrowed her brows at the mention of the peculiar names. "Petunia and Vernon? Who are they?" At that question, Harry smirked at Emily and laughed, "And you judged me for not telling my kids on who Dudley is?"

"I've only met them on three separate occasions," She shrilly explained, "You've lived with that family for over sixteen years!"

Draco sighed and took away the trifle from the Potter twins before anyone of them could over-layer it with strawberries and honeycomb. "To answer your question, Minnie, they are your grandmother Lily's muggle sister and brother-in-law. And don't worry, we don't have to meet them." He then looked at Harry and Emily, suddenly worried, "Right?"

"Right." The twins said in absolute unison.

"What's the harm in ringing up Uncle Dudley, dad?" James asked, leaning over the counter. "It sounds like he's desperate for help, and for our cousin no less – "

"Yes, but don't you think you have enough cousins, James?"

A click of heels stomped in the kitchen right on time. Ginny's eyes flashed in surprise at what she had heard, "Harry!" She yelled scoldingly, marching up to her husband's side, "You're meeting him. And soon. Beatrice turns eleven by the second Sunday of May."

Harry scrunched his nose at the idea but soon came to terms with the fact. "Alright. He named his kid Beatrice?"

"Yeah, why?" Emily confirmed.

"He had this... This horrid, overstuffed bear when we were kids. He named it Beatrice Bunny," Said Harry, flicking his wand at the mess that had accumulated in the kitchen to throw themselves off to the bin. "Treated it like a security blanket for as long as I could remember."

Emily nodded slowly at the odd Dudley tidbit and examined her brother's face. "You're meeting him before the kid's birthday. No objections."

"Yeah, alright."

Ginny pecked his cheek and advanced to the refrigerator where she had stored the sangria she had prepared earlier that day. "Good. Because I've already arranged it, we'll be having lunch at our house." Harry laughed shortly, "Of course you did, I expect nothing less, Ginn."

"Be on your best behavior, you scoundrel."

"Yes, love." Harry returned her kiss and smiled at her once more before letting her pass through the garden to help the others with setting up the scene. His eyes briefly met Ron and Hermione's to which he cheekily nodded to from the kitchen, and when he caught a grin from Fred who was trying to help with folding dinner napkins with his sister-in-law, he had remembered the last conversation he had with Emily.

James scooted closer to his aunt and asked another question about his newfound muggle relative. "Were they close? Dad and Uncle Dudley?"

"Merlin, no," Emily whispered back to him, "But they can be." She then looked over her daughters and then back to her eldest nephew, "You three should join the others and have fun, let the adults do all the work, dears."

Minnie, Addy, and James glanced at one another and soon wasted no time in scurrying off to the other house to meet with kids their own age. Harry bumped Emily's hip and then motioned to where Fred was in the garden, "I've been meaning to ask... How's Fred? He definitely looks better."

Draco nodded in approval, "He does, doesn't he? We don't like bringing up Martina into the conversation, it seems to dampen his mood every time. But Em and I are doing everything we can to keep him sane." He told him, his arm curling around his wife's hip.

"Oh. What happened with the marriage counselor? I thought you gave him a referral – "

"You can't exactly go to couples' therapy alone," Emily blurted, her hand tightening over Draco's wrist, "Besides, if we did manage to grab a hold of Marti, Fred doesn't want to go."

Harry felt like skinning his own scalp out of frustration. This was the price to pay when he spent ninety-nine percent of his attention on Hogwarts, a few days to catch up on the stressful situations that his loved ones had to go through. And since Emily didn't want to talk about her running for Minister, all he could do was focus on something she was focusing on, and that meant worrying for Fred Weasley's marriage. "There must be something more to do to help them both, right? What can I do?"

And what seemed to be the fatal flaw in talking about someone who wasn't in the room was talking about the said person while your back is against the open door. Fred stepped in and caught wind of the conversation, he walked up to Harry and heartily patted his back, "You can fetch the pies from the oven, Harry my dear – and don't worry about little ol' me, alright? I'd hate for anyone to get soppy over this."

A flush of red overtook Harry's face. It was so difficult to watch that even Draco and Emily looked away from the car wreck. "Fred! I didn't mean to – "

"It's alright," The Weasley twin said once more in a cool manner, looking over everyone in the kitchen. "Truly. I am doing well, the shop's doing fantastic – and I have Em and Draco here to keep me from trapping myself in a room full of fifty bludgers. It's going great."

Harry seemed to calm down, the embarrassed blush slowly diminishing from his face, but in its place was swapped with an inquisitive look over Fred, Emily, and Draco. "Speaking of, you three are all over the papers now. Those bloody tabloids are calling it The Polygamous Pureblood Plot Twist, the title itself is a scandal – but I'm glad they finally left Thomas alone. Poor man's name has been dragged in the mud ever since Draco became a Healer."

"Can they stop referring to me as pureblood? The Potters haven't been part of the Sacred 28 since Harry and I were born." Emily commented, leaning into her husband's side. "It's inaccurate and quite frankly just terrible journalism." Draco nodded, appearing almost thoughtful at the notion. "It's not the Sacred 28 anymore, right? A bunch of them died during the war."

"Oh, right." Emily flatly said, beginning to count off with her fingers. "Crouch, Gaunt, Lestrange, Rosier, Rowle, and Yaxley – Well, the list just 22 families left." Fred let out a hum, pensively looking at Draco and Emily, "Cast off the Weasleys and Prewetts, of course. Greengrass, Longbottom, Macmillan, Parkinson, and Malfoy – for not marrying purebloods. Slughorn and Nott, too, for not marrying at all."

That leaves us with a Sacred 13. Emily thought, a bitter taste rooting from her mouth at the unlucky number. She was hastily snapped out of her thoughts when she noticed Harry looking at them oddly. "That's what you lot are chatting about because of the tabloids? Misinformation regarding blood status – not the polygamous marriage everyone thinks you're in?"

She felt a tickle spread along her hip when Draco dug his fingers to her side. Oh, this is going to be fun. "It can be annoying," He began to say, "Some people still assume that I took Emily's last name. Draco Potter? It doesn't quite sound appealing. Now, Draco Weasley? That's intriguing – and it rolls right off the tongue."

Fred strides closer to Draco's side, towering over the couple, "Fred Potter-Malfoy sounds absolutely divine. What branch of the ministry do we talk to in order to make this change?"

Harry gapes at them in disbelief. "You three are idiots."

"All the more sense to be together, then." Emily smartly retorts. Her brother merely laughed dryly, "Please stop joking about it, that's how most things come true to life. Remember when we were eleven and you kept saying how striking Draco's likeness is to an elf? Hm? Look at where that got you – "

"Are you just jealous because I get to be with Draco?" Fred boldly interrupted, draping his arms around Draco's neck while he spoke, his cheek pressed against the Healer's temple. "I know you had a crush on him back then during our school days – "

A string of incomprehensible sputtering flowed from Harry's mouth, and when he finally gave up on maintaining a conversation with the three, he snapped open the oven door and levitated the pies towards the garden. "I did not – You know what, I'm going out to help the others with the table." Harry stressfully said to them, marching off while having four pies floating around him.

Draco felt Fred's arms loosen around him, though his cologne still lingered by his cheek. Emily pulled away from her husband's hold, a sparkling laugh almost threatening to burst from within, "He's so tense."

"He worries me sometimes," Fred spoke, leaning over the counter. "Being a professor really has changed him."

"Did he really have a crush on me when we were in school?" Draco bluntly asked them both. Emily and Fred shared a quick laugh over the question, but she was left to wonder about it. What's to say? "I mean, we've always joked about it, but we never really got a clear answer. Only Harry can say what's what, I suppose, but he does have his type – Oh, your apron's coming undone, mate." She walked over to stand behind Fred, her fingers looping along the loose apron strings.

He looked over his shoulder and gratefully smiled at her. "Thanks! That happens a lot lately, I should get my own since my hips are bigger than yours, Draco." Fred cheekily said, winking over at the Healer who stood idly by, watching his wife tie the strings.

Draco laughs at the comment, though funnily enough, Harry's words kept crawling back to him. He felt his eyes linger over Emily and Fred for far too long, long enough for the sirens to go off within his mind. Maybe we have been hanging out together too much. "Um, right – so," He said as he cleared his throat, breaking the silence that shrouded them.

Emily quickly and awkwardly stepped away as soon as she tied the knot at Fred's waist, the tension sinking in deep to the soles of her feet. "Right! Well, the steaks aren't going to season themselves," She testily announced all too loudly, "Excuse me, boys." Emily made her way to the other side of the kitchen and got her hands busy over the spice rack.

"Yeah, I'll go over to the other house and check with them what pizza they want – it's a tradition, right? The kids always want pizza for New Year's – brilliant. I'm going now." Fred speedily said to the pair, rushing out of the kitchen as fast as he could before either one could say anything. Draco cleared his throat once more and pounded the countertop with his fist, "And I will check on the parents and see if they need their drinks refreshed – Mum and dad should be here soon, in fact, I think I'll wait for them by the fireplace."

Emily nodded and looked over her shoulder just as Draco walked through the hall and vanish out of sight, and when she looked over to the garden and caught Fred's attention, they immediately broke contact. She cursed under her breath and began tenderizing the slabs of meat in front of her, I ought to spike Harry's tea with tar – that might just keep his mouth shut.

~

With their grandparents, parents, aunts, and uncles trapezing all over the grounds, their younger siblings, and cousins roaming the lower floors of both houses, the rooftop was left for the enjoyment of the eldest of children. Or simply those who wanted to relax and have nothing to do with the preparations.

"Thank fuck we got out of work." Victoire cursed after downing her drink. Minnie eyed the empty highball glass in her cousin's hand and despite Vic saying that it was a long island iced tea, Minnie doubted that there was any tea in the drink at all.

"I'm glad for that, too. We saw you on the news before Christmas, you looked like you needed a break." Minerva told her, idly sipping her warm mug of butterbeer. Vic laughed boisterously, her shoulder jostling around enough to bump Teddy, "You have no idea. So, no talking about your mum's case. I know that's why all of you miscreants are here – I repeat, I will not talk about work."

James shrugged, agreeing wholeheartedly to the statement. "Fair enough. Say, Teddy, how's work?"

An aggravated sputtering and a gust of butterbeer came shooting out of Teddy's nose, promptly causing everyone to either laugh or groan at the mess. Teddy, on the other hand, still kept laughing. Victoire rolled her eyes and swiftly sent a spell to clean up the drink from her boyfriend's nose and shoes. "You're a weasel, James."

"Have another drink, Vicky." James smartly popped off the cork from a fresh bottle. Teddy smirked and laughed it off, "I'm not telling you anything that hasn't been broadcasted. No way am I risking a verbal spanking from Auntie Em."

"She runs a tight ship at work, then. Must be stressful." Ariadne wistfully said, hoping to rope in some information. As sincere as her words may have been, they were no match against the Aurors that were literally trained by her mother. Teddy and Victoire shared a look and sighed at the attempt. "Nice try, Addy. I was trained as an Auror before transferring departments. You can't crack me – "

"Your phone passcode is Vic's birthday," Minerva muttered. "That's not very James Bond of you."

Alex lightly chuckled and settled his half-empty goblet down, suddenly aware that they were short of two people, "Hey, I thought Scorp and Ros are going to be here, where are those two?" Alison soon explained that the youngest Malfoys got distracted with a game of in-house lacrosse with their foster siblings, they had been going at it for several hours and didn't seem any closer to stopping, and now especially since Albus and Lily followed suit and joined in on the fun.

Jaime cocked an eyebrow, opening a fresh bottle of warm butterbeer, "In-house lacrosse?"

"They play lacrosse indoors." Minerva plainly answered with a shrug. "It's pretty straightforward. Though rules don't apply – it kind of boils down to a heated game of tag with sticks and a beach ball."

James nodded, smiling wickedly, "And the floor is lava." Minerva let out a soft oh and nodded along with him, "Yes, that too. I always forget that bit. Maybe that's why I always lose the first game in."

Harrison remembers his first game vaguely, this may be due to the fact that back then instead of a beach ball, his brothers had used a football that was very much acquainted with the back of Harrison's head. "It's mayhem." The eldest Malfoy remarked, "I'd lose intentionally if it meant me getting out of a game."

Just then the door leading up to the roof jostled open and out came panting and glistening with sweat were the Lovegood twins, Lysander and Lysandra, their brilliant smiles lopsided and heavily dimpled. She assumed her seat next to Teddy and reached for a bottle of water, "That was a wicked game! Merlin's bleedin' knickers, I've been yearning for a chair to sit down on – those kids are still going at it!"

"You played?" Alex asked, Gobsmacked, but then his surprise fizzled when he realized who he was talking to, "Of course you played."

Lysander kissed Jaime's cheek and thanked him for opening him a bottle of water, "Don't knock it till you try it, Alex – they even upped the game!"

"What, do they use bludgers now?" Harrison joking asked.

"Yeah! How'd you know?"

"You're joking?"

"Of course I'm bloody joking – there are muggle children in this house, how daft do you think I am." Lysander laughed off, his stomach hurting from the amusement he was getting off from seeing Harrison's wide-eyed fear that very much resembled a deer caught in headlights. Lysandra rolled her eyes at her brother and turned her focus back to everyone, "Enough of that, what were you lot up to?

Minerva leaned in forward, her lips upturned in a pleasant smile. "Just talking and catching up. How's work?"

At her question, Alex, Teddy, and Victoire exchanged glances with Lysandra that very much translated to don't fall for it, look away! But Lysandra scoffed and downed the last of her water before responding, "I transferred out of the Auror Office to Legislation. You're not getting anything out of me, Minnie darling."

James groaned and Minerva fell back into her chair, her legs crossed. "Gosh, what's the use of having cousins who work for the Ministry if they won't spill the beans on what the hell is going on out there!" He said in an outburst, dramatically waving his arm up before it limply fell across the armrest of his chair.

"James, it's not as easy as you think," Teddy told him. "We would tell you if we could, but you know how it is."

"You don't have a clue, none of you have an idea on how to track whoever's killing wizards out there in the open." Minerva said, deadpan, "You have nothing to tell us even if you could say anything." Her words stiffly made the atmosphere around them stale and uninviting. Alex softly approached her, his eyes kind and understanding knowing that his sister was only frustrated, "Min, let's cool down here. Please? We can't say anything because it's confidential. It's the rules. Everything and anything that we find that can be useful for public knowledge is already out there. We can't say anymore because that would tamper with the investigation."

Minerva listened intently, her eyes darting from the floor and then to the edge of the roof, "Right. Sorry, that was rude of me."

"That's alright, love." Victoire breezily said, standing up and strolling down to Minnie's chair with her hand outstretched, "How about I fix you a drink downstairs? Have you ever had a gin and tonic?"

"NO ALCOHOL!" Harrison, Jaime, and Alex bellowed in fantastic unison, startling Victoire. She groaned and smiled upon seeing Minnie's blossoming grin. "Christ – Fine! Bloody can't be the cool cousin in front of your narc brothers," She muttered all the while she held onto Minerva's hand while they walked to the door, "How about a jack and coke?"

Alex threw his head back and yelled, "We can still hear you, Vic! She's incorruptible!"

Victoire made a face at him before they disappeared back into the house, making Minnie smile a bit. The girls made detours all over to avoid the ruckus of the game and the overpowering crowd of adults in the gardens, they passed through the front yard instead and went through the front door of the Malfoy home where they then settled down by the bar of the empty kitchen.

"Now that it's just us," Victoire serenely mused, reaching into the refrigerator for a can of raspberry fizz, "Mind telling me how you are?" She began to assemble a concoction of the raspberry fizz, lemonade, crushed berries, and mint leaves. Minerva hadn't heard her question, her brain fused to focus on her muddling the berries at the bottom of the glass before pouring in the liquids and garnishing with the mint.

"Minnie?"

"Hmmm? Oh, yes?"

"How are you?" Vic asked again, sliding the drink to her with a twisty silicone straw. "Doing alright?"

She nodded, taking in the fruity drink, "I'm managing."

"That's good. Taking it a step at a time. Love that – how's that new bird of yours? Vanya, right?"

Minerva beamed at the mention of her new feathered creature. She was a solitary thing much like herself and would soar the skies for as long as it pleased which usually meant the entire day, Vanya only ever spent time with her owner for meals and sleep. "She's fantastic. I don't really need a cage for her, Vanya's perfectly trained and all I really need to do is feed her and leave my window open for when she's tired."

Victoire smiled softly, feeling quite overjoyed with Minnie's new companion. "I read up on those birds, you know, ever since you wrote to me about her. They can imprint on their owners and can match up to their lifespan. Wonderful creatures. You're lucky to have won that academy's heart, Min."

Out of habit, she looked over her shoulder and was relieved to have no one within earshot. Vic saw this and got the message immediately. Minnie swirled the straw around the bottom of the now-empty highball glass, trying to catch the lumps of berries, "It's all flowers and chocolates now, but when the courting period is over, and I have to actually board at their school... That's when the true challenges come. And I know I'll be fine," She said, scrunching her nose, "I wouldn't sign up for something I knew I wouldn't be ready for."

They had been texting back and forth on the matter of Minnie becoming an apprentice at four different schools, Victoire and she had only started talking about it when it was just a wild dream of Minnie's, but now that she had made something out of nothing, it was high time that her parents knew about it. "How did Auntie Em and Uncle Draco react to this, then?"

"About that..." She sheepishly retorted.

"Minnie, no – "

"I'll tell them when we board the train back to school, I promise I will!" She swore, crossing over the figure X above her heart. Victoire stared back at her and took a bottle of bourbon from the shelf, pouring herself a double, "You can't keep avoiding confrontation, Minerva, they will understand with all their hearts."

All too stubbornly, Minerva set aside her glass across the counter, a terrible noise dragging in the air, "Not when there's a serial killer on the loose!"

A still silence washes over them. Victoire rests her elbows on the counter and for a brief moment settles her forehead against the cool tiles. In a heartbeat, she would tell Minnie everything there is to know, because she knew she could trust her to the fullest, she knew that Minnie would never consider betrayal for gain. Often times the girl would be selfish, but even then Vic would admire it about her, how often do we see people demanding what they rightfully deserve?

"Not for long, alright?" Victoire slowly paced, looking up at her cousin. "We're going to find him, and we'll get justice for everything that's been done to us. I promise."

Minnie showed no doubt about her promise though she had another idea cross her mind. "Is that all you're going to do? Lifelong imprisonment?"

"Dementors are illegal now and extinct. And we can't reinforce the death penalty in the Wizarding World," She shared, ruffling the back of her head in frustration at how limited the choices were for punishment. "It goes against our nature, Min. We can't take lives just as much as we can't revive them."

For a moment, it looked as though Minerva had accepted this and moved on. Unfortunately, her mutterings were louder than anticipated. "Then I hope the bastard's a muggle."

"Min, don't say that come on," Vic pleaded, "Capital Punishment hasn't been around since 1965. And let's say that we do have it, then how are we any better than the United States? Do you even see what goes on in their world? Have you any idea how many innocent young lives are persecuted and killed just so they can say they did their jobs? And while we're on it, even if the bastard is a muggle, we won't have jurisdiction over their case. We won't be able to bring those families justice if we can't give him a sentence."

The crackle of flames from the adjoining living room cut through their conversation. Curious, Minerva stepped into the room and saw the fireplace being engulfed in grand emerald smoke that encased her grandparents, Narcissa and Lucius. Minerva smiled as she welcomed them home, her attention swiftly being diverted when the front door swung open and entered Rosamund, her honey blonde hair in a ragged ponytail.

"Grandad! Maman!" The young girl screamed, hugging both grandparents in her arms, squishing them. Narcissa lovingly smoothed down the baby hairs that stuck above the crown of her granddaughter's head, "Rosie! Oh my darling – you look more and more gorgeous every time we see you, how are you my sweetlings?" Narcissa reached for Minnie's wrist and briefly hugged her once Minnie allowed it. Rosamund kissed Lucius' cheek and beamed at them happily, "Great! Albus and I just finished a game next door."

Minerva hugged her grandfather before leading everyone to the kitchen, "How was Germany?"

"Gorgeous." Lucius commented, sharing a smile with his wife before turning to the girls, "We ought to bring you there next time if your parents can spare you for a week."

As the little group passes the kitchen, Victoire greats the Malfoys with a wave before catching a look from Minnie, signaling for their conversation to be put on hold. Victoire joins them on their way to the garden and is pulled immediately to a fairyland of twinkling lights, blooming floral decorations, and overall charming woodsy décor that was seen even in the tiniest details.

Emily and Draco shout out in excitement to see Lucius and Narcissa, settling them down next to Molly, Arthur, and Aunt Minerva. Four tables had been prepped to accommodate everyone; a large table for the parents and grandparents of the families followed by another table for their eldest children that was trailed by two other tables for the mix of the younger children and the foster children Emily and Draco took care of.

Husband and wife sat next to each other at the head of the table, making sure everyone had a seat and a place setting in front of them.

"Erm, Em?" Fred tapped her wrist and pointed at the kitchen where flashes of green light rose on the wall leading to the living room, "Bloody hell – are we expecting more people? Is someone missing?" Loud chatter rose from every direction, shouting that only Bill and Fleur were the only ones still out due to a pizza mishap.

Tall shadows began to head out from the living room, coming into everyone's view were three strapping figures clad in green camouflage and combat boots, Dominique, Roxanne, and Fredrick came running out from the kitchen, dropping their packs on the floor before allowing themselves to be swallowed whole in hugs from their grandparents Molly and Arthur, and Roxanne and Fredrick's father, Fred.

It took Victoire and Louis a minute to process, but eventually, they tackled their sister Dominique to the only patch of grass that was still frosted with fresh snow. Roxanne held her father tightly, looking up at his beet-red face, "We thought it would be a nice surprise!"

"Oh, yeah!" Fred sarcastically started, "Happy New Year, everyone! Let's give dad a big ol' heart attack – bloody idiots, come here – " He pulled in his son for another hug while still holding Roxanne. Freddie tapped out of the hug, clearing his throat while he looked around the tent, "See? I knew you'd get it – where's mum?"

Emily stood up and snapped out of the happy little scene, "How about we get all of you settled down – Fleur and Bill will be back any minute now with the pizza! The restaurant was backed up tonight, so they had to pick it up."

Roxanne frowned, confused, "Mum's not here, then?" She asked Fred who was holding a gentle look for her. "She'll get here, darling."

"Where is she?" Freddie asked.

"Turkey," Draco spoke when he noticed the blank look that took over Fred's expression. "She received a distress call there. Martina will be over the moon to see you two after so long." Fredrick and Roxanne thanked him for the news and quickly settled themselves at the second table with Victoire, Teddy, and the others. Fred quickly stole a look from Draco and mouthed a brief word of thanks.

Another round of screams was yet to unfold when the sound of people trudging up from the driveway into the garden was heard, the gravel and snow crunching under their shoes. Bill and Fleur appeared with rosy cheeks and frosty shoulders, boxes of pizza up to their chests. She looked around the tables and was confused by the number of people still standing up from their seats, "We're here! Why are zome not seated yet? Who arr you waiting for – Dominique?"

The auburn-haired girl who sat next to Victoire beamed and shot up from her seat to run towards the arms of her parents, "Mama!" Bill and Fleur handed the horde of pizzas to the nearest people that could take them and welcomed their daughter with tight embraces. Fleur and Dominique began to speak rapid French all the while Bill had never let go from the hug, his hand still patting the back of his daughter's head.

Finally, after some conversation, the families settled down and began their feast. They had stopped waiting for midnight some time ago when many of them were at the height of their careers, and even now, none of them wanted to wait around that long to welcome the new year. Most of them got sleepy anyway and would fall asleep in the most obscure of places such as the patio, the herb garden, the linen cupboard in the foster home, and the attic of the Malfoy home.

Emily, being in the middle of her husband and Fred debating on new age potioneering techniques, momentarily pulled her attention away from them and saw Minnie's eyes vacantly scanning the room before eventually falling on her, her face just as blank even when pushing a smile to the surface. Family events as big as that always made her daughter overwhelmed at one point during it, and this was that moment. Emily nodded as to say you can go and Minerva gladly took the invite and slipped out of her seat and back to the rooftop of the foster home.

Minerva closed her eyes and relished the crisp blow of the winter breeze flow past her and cool her down from her frenzied internal panic. She sank into her chair from earlier and admired the starless sky above her.

"Mind if I join you?"

Scorpius had tailed in after her with a lopsided grin, his hands stuffed inside turquoise mittens that he no doubt nicked from Harrison. Minerva nodded and enjoyed her alone time even more with her little brother. "Sickle for your thoughts?" She offered with a raised brow.

He chuckled and lifted his feet up on the vacant seat in front of him. "Seeing that you are literally my sister, I'll let you hear my demons for free." Scorpius considered his ideas for a moment before pouring them all out in the air for someone to see. "You're actually the first person I've been wanting to tell this bit to... But pretty soon, Professor Barrack will let us make our own wands – they haven't got cores yet, it's basically just woodwork, but still – you think about that sort of stuff even in the trial runs. It got me thinking about the wand cores we've been using over the ages and how people have been abusing nature just to get a hold of it," Scorpius bitterly said, grimacing upon remembering the article he had read on the Quibbler. "Did you know that in the last five months, ten percent of unicorn sanctuaries have been ransacked? All of them... Dead. It would have been just okay had those people just stolen the unicorns, but instead, they just shaved off their manes and killed them. For what? Unicorn hair can't grow back once shaved because you have to harvest the hairs by hand with a brush. You can't expect magic to behave the way that it did when you abused it – "

"Scorp," Minerva softly said, her hand lightly tapping on his shoulder. "You're rambling."

He took in a deep breath and rubbed his temple to soothe himself. "Right. Thanks – I just want to find a sustainable wand core that won't end up damaging the ecosystem and won't result in slaughter. So far, I've got nothing, and I'd like to pick your brain about it if you don't mind."

Minnie adjusted herself in her seat and pondered on the cores typically used. She herself had a unicorn hair core just like her father. "I'd consider something easily found in all sorts of places. The only reason we haven't come across deforestation cases yet is because wand trees are heavily guarded, and only licensed wandmakers are allowed to harvest their lumber."

"So, I should check out the list of plants that are registered to be protected? That might work – "

"Yes, but you have to be strategic about it," She interrupted, feeling excited about the whole aspect of it, "Magic flows from where it sprouts – you have to source your cores from exemplary creatures. Or remarkable plants. Note that the most well-known cores come from the most powerful creatures out there. You'll have to do the same if you want to work out this idea of yours."

What's the phoenix version of a plant then? Scorpius pondered. "Right. That'll give me something to do when the term starts again. Speaking of which, have you told mum and dad yet?"

Minerva shrugged and looked back at the sky that dwelled above her head, soothing her mind with its nothingness. "I'd rather you ask me another question."

~

Later that evening,

Emily woke up from a bourbon-induced nap that sprouted from several rounds of drinks with Draco, Fred, Harry, Ginny, Ron, and Hermione. While her senses were still booting up from sleep, she looked around the den and remembered that her brother and sister-in-law took shelter in the master bedroom as per their custom that Emily and Draco begrudgingly allowed while Ron and Hermione occupied the spare bedroom at the house next-door, leaving Emily with the company of her husband and Fred.

Where are those idiots? She asked herself, both hands smoothing out the empty spots on her left and right before eventually dragging herself up on her feet to walk to the kitchen for a glass of water. As she drew nearer, shadows were cast against the wall, confirming her suspicions that Draco and Fred were there sneaking dessert.

"Oi, I thought we all agreed that we'd eat that slab together?

Draco, mid-bite, looked over at his wife with the guiltiest expression she had ever seen, it almost made her forget that they were eating without her. Fred reached over to the cutlery drawer and got her a spoon, "We're sorry, love – I needed to stress eat. Draco caught me red-handed."

"I was hungry." He said along with another bite of the tiramisu, "But I wanted to check first if the cake hadn't spoiled – I wouldn't want you to get a stomachache. I might be tried for treason again and this time for food poisoning the future minister for magic." Emily bumped him off the chair and scooched on over in between the men, "Move over."

The three ate in silence, the strong aroma of coffee floating around them the more they ate, their spoons the only things filling the silence whenever they clanged against the plate. Emily sneaked a few looks over to Fred and noted his lost gaze and overly frequent bites of cake, something must have happened.

"I texted Martina." He finally revealed, settling his spoon down, admitting defeat, "Told her that the kids came home and all."

"What did she say?" Emily asked, taking one last bite before stopping altogether. Fred shrugged and eyed the liquor cabinet. "Nothing yet. I texted, emailed, wrote an Owlgram, and left a voicemail about it. I reckon it's been a good four hours since then. And I know that they've all been delivered."

Draco sighed and looked like it was his turn to eat his stress away. "Do you think you should tell Freddie and Roxy?"

From that question alone, Fred felt compelled to take the last portion of tiramisu. He picked up his spoon and gradually ate his feeling away. Emily looked over at Draco who had left the cake alone for their friend to devour, "I think you should, Fred, they're adults after all. They need to know what's happened with their parents."

"I'll talk with Marti first before anything else." He answered, "I don't want to put our kids into a stressful situation if I can fix it, not when they literally just got away from a warzone."

"They will know that something's up, mate. They're smart kids." Draco took away the now empty plate and the three spoons, setting them aside by the sink. Fred nodded along and hung his head back over his chair, "I know... Just give me some time, you two."

~

Meanwhile, upstairs.

After everyone had gone their separate ways with some staying either in the Malfoy residence or the foster home next door and the others such as the Delacour-Weasleys, Molly and Arthur, and Narcissa and Lucius going back home, a massive sleepover ensued in each bedroom.

Roxanne had bunked with Rosamund who adored her stories no matter the boring details and mundane muggle life she led throughout active duty; Roxy was always happy to indulge her fascination with non-magical folk. She had woken up around three o'clock in the morning and wandered down the hall to look for the loo.

She stops in the middle of the hall when she spotted her brother Fredrick standing in the doorway of what used to be Jaime's bedroom. The triplets must be sleeping over at Harrison's if this one is empty. Roxanne approached him and peeked over her shoulder, examining the barely lived-in space that was occupied with an overnight bag, several other pieces of luggage, and a few boxes.

"Freddie, what on earth are you doing here?" She asked, slowly waking up completely. He motioned to the room and finally entered, "It's dad's stuff. All of it, Rox – take a look."

She was about to discredit him as she always liked to do in order to annoy her brother, but when she had taken another look, the room was not as unlived in as she originally thought it was. The wardrobe was ajar and in it were several pieces of clothing that reminded her of her father's joke shop in Diagon Alley. The floor was littered with crates of prototype joke items, fireworks, and other gadgets. Roxanne had walked around her brother and checked the luggage, fully surprising herself to see that it was empty. It looks like someone's been living here for months now –

"This is what he wears to work," Fredrick blandly said, hastily running his hands across the jewel-toned velvet three-piece suits that hung in the wardrobe. He checked under the study table and lit his wand to spot the shoes by the corner leg, "Those are the loafers we got him for his birthday last year, do you see those?"

"Yes, Freddie – "

"And these – " He interjected, looking down at the suitcases, "For merlin's sake, we got these for him. A set for mum as well because they traveled a lot together back then. Look at that, with the fancy monogrammed plating and all." Fredrick callously laughed, turning away from it.

Roxanne followed him out of the room and closed the lights as she had left. "There's a proper reason for this, Freddie. Maybe they're doing renovations for the house and Auntie Em and Uncle Draco offered him this room. Mum's off flying the world again anyway, so she's hopping from hotel to hotel wherever she is right now – "

"I called her."

"Oh?" Her voice fell flat, her chest tingling in anticipation, "What did she say?"

Fredrick sank down to the floor and closed his eyes. "She said she just got home from Egypt. Not Turkey like Uncle Draco had said. Mum told me that she was tired from the flight – enjoy your festivities over there, we'll meet soon when you come home. The usual stuff." Roxanne joined his side and swung her arm around him for comfort. "Mum never liked big crowds, Freddie. She almost never going to parties such as this one, she gets overwhelmed. And dad... Well, maybe he just got the places mixed up. He's not big on geography."

Well, that's truer than anything else I've heard over the last twelve hours, Fredrick opened his eyes and saw the confliction that layered over his sister's eyes, If I remember correctly, dad mistook Alaska as part of the Antarctic. Easy mistake to make quite frankly. "Yeah, maybe it's just that... Whatever – oh my, what on earth are you wearing?" He asked, taken aback by the embroidery and colorful beads on Roxanne's shirt.

She sat up straight and flaunted Rosamund's late Christmas present for her, "Rosy saw it in Hogsmeade and thought it looked like my Animagus form. Isn't that sweet?"

"It's a – something, what the devil is that, a crup?"

"No, you are a bumbling moron, it's a golden retriever!" Roxanne said, defensively while pointing at the dog's snout, "Shut up, it's adorable. What are you going up anyway?"

He shook his head and vaguely motioned down the hall where Harrison's room was, "The demon brothers left my hand in a bowl of water. I woke up just in time to take a piss in the bathroom. Actually, scratch that, it was probably Harrison. Alex is too grown for this and Jaime's got Lysander to tether him into adulthood."

Roxanne laughed and playfully slapped the side of her brother's head. "You'd think by the eleventh time he's done it you'd be immune by now. Sleepover at Scorpius' next time, the worst you'll get is that sassy little corn snake of his slithering in your sock."

~

Meanwhile over at Minerva's Bedroom,

Oh Merlin, now what? She had been staring at her phone screen for over two minutes since reading Chloe's response. Her hands were frozen in place with no clue what to do despite initiating the call. Minerva Lilian Malfoy, what on earth have you gotten yourself into?

It was well past three o'clock and she was still awake with no hope of going to sleep anytime soon. Minerva had her bedroom all to herself and seeing where the night was going to take her, she was glad that no one else was going to bear witness to her call with Chloe.

To hell with it, she jabbed her finger at the phone icon and felt her heart twirl around her ribs when Chloe's name magnified on the screen, the line ringing for only half a second until the call was answered.

Chloe: Hello?

Minerva: Hi. I hope I wasn't getting in the way of your evening.

A rustle of bed sheets and pillows came through the phone lines. It somehow soothed her mind to know that she was in bed like she was right then.

Chloe: No, of course not – I couldn't sleep. I'm glad I texted you at the right time.

Minerva: I'm glad, then. I'm looking forward to seeing you again, too, and I apologize for not visiting over Christmas.

Chloe: That's alright, Min. I understand.

Minerva: Really?

Chloe: Of course. I don't like being overwhelmed, and I know that you'd avoid anything that would cause you any stress – I'm happy as it is to have you like this, all to myself... Hearing your voice is – it's quite nice.

Minerva: O-Oh, thank you. Yours is nice as well.

A little pause went in between them, and in that spare second, Minnie could see Chloe like she was right there laying in front of her with her cheek pressed against her pillow.

Chloe: Minnie?

Minerva: Yes?

Chloe: Do you mind if we just... You know if we could stay like this until we both fall asleep? I feel very comforted knowing you're here with me.

Minerva: I'd like that too, sure.

She then put her phone on speaker before propping it up next to her on the other pillow by her head. With each other, they didn't feel the need to fill the bare silences in the air, their presence was enough to comfort each other. Without a minute to waste, both girls felt their eyes droop with sleep, their bodies sinking deeper and deeper into their beds.

Suddenly, from a grand distance, Minerva heard fireworks being launched, great bright lights painting the night sky with luminescent celebrations. None of them compared to the heart-melting sound of Chloe's laugh when she heard them through the phone. Minerva smiled and finally gave in to her sleepiness.

Minerva: Happy New Year, Chloe.

There was another small pause from her like she had something else in mind to say, but just as Minnie was losing grasp on their call, she heard the last message.

"Happy New Year, Min."

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

121K 3.9K 79
Alastor X Female Reader You and Alastor have been best friends since you were 5 years old. With Alastor being the famous serial killer of your time...
125K 5.1K 93
a sister who's actions are untamed, and a brother who's feelings are untamed. With complete different personalities, yet an awesome bond, the sibling...
136K 3.7K 54
Daphne Bridgerton might have been the 1813 debutant diamond, but she wasn't the only miss to stand out that season. Behind her was a close second, he...
172K 6.2K 92
Ahsoka Velaryon. Unlike her brothers Jacaerys, Lucaerys, and Joffery. Ahsoka was born with stark white hair that was incredibly thick and coarse, eye...