Power & Legacy || Steve Rogers

By areyoutonystankk

Aurelia Stark, the girl with everything. Only daughter of billionaire, Tony Stark, she has anything a girl co... More

0 || intro
∞ || destiny
1990 || aria's arrival
0.5 || media
1 || the beginning of the end
2 || happy birthday to me
3 || what happens in vegas
4 || doesn't stay in vegas
5 || jets with you are the worst
6 || not the girl i used to be
7 || all in black
8 || robbed by a pirate
9 || kidnapped by a pirate
10 || exploring a government agency
11 || home.
12 || he's back
13 || spontaneous crying
14 || aria: billionaire, socialite... surgeon?
15 || conflicting interests
16 || champagne & business
17 || just a girl
18 || die
19 || ice-cold veins
20 || gone
21 || iron man...
22 || spy things
23 || mojitos & burritos
24 || end-credits
|| iron man 2 ||
1995 || the good ol' days
25 || stark expo
26 || dads, am i right?
27 || jets with you are still the worst
28 || ceo
29 || the importance of family
30 || sun's out, guns out (literally)
31 || private jet talks
32 || apologies
33 || happiest place on earth
34 || goodbye malibu
35 || the big apple
36 || another weapons demo gone wrong
⎊ || end-credits
|| Space Girl ||
37 || the assignment
38|| me and my badly timed jokes
40 || brooklyn
41 || under the mistletoe
42 || stark tower
|| aria's future ||

39 || cap'n

532 14 1
By areyoutonystankk

And I can't find the patience
For all the conversations
And all of these blank faces
I should leave, I haven't yet
But when you smile, I just forget
But I can stay a while, I guess
-Down For You, Cosmo's Midnight

June 10th, 2010
Manhattan, New York

Steve sits on the edge of his bed, staring at the laminate floor. He does that a lot.

Head cocked to the side as I watch him, I hover in the doorway. I know he heard me enter but he doesn't move to acknowledge me- he never does. Ever since he woke up, he's been a ghost of the man I thought I knew after many history lessons.

He barely eats, barely drinks, barely talks; he simply sits and thinks; people above me have Steve staying at S.H.I.E.L.D. until he's ready to be released into his own apartment. It's been more than a week since he woke up and I'm not sure he's made any progress. Then again, I'm not exactly sure what progress looks like. Surely, they can't expect him to laugh at my jokes or chat away easily. He's woken up in an entirely new world, with no semblance of the life he knew save my relation to an old friend of his. Even that must be offputting. The granddaughter of a 20-year-old playboy.

I take a couple of steps into the room, "How are you feeling?"

He glances up, his turquoise eyes meeting my dark orbs; he hesitates in responding before letting out a simple, "Fine."

I don't pry. I'm not sure why he tells me he's fine every day. Maybe he's uncomfortable opening up to me or maybe he thinks I just don't want to here. I know he's not fine.

"Can I get you anything?"

"I'd like to leave."

He doesn't hesitate with that response.

"Steve, that's above my authority."

"So talk to the people in charge."

"I don't know if you're ready."

"I am."

"Steve," I quickly and firmly interject, "the world outside this room is nothing like what you know."

"I don't care. You're going to have to let me out sometime, you ought to just get it over with."

"I'm afraid it's not my decision to make." I look at his face, so dejected and after a few moments, I sigh. He doesn't trust me and I really need him tp. After all, he's right, one day we will have to let him out into the world and if he doesn't trust me, who knows what'll happen? "I'll try my best for you."

Maybe for the first time since I met him, a smile finds its way to his face, "Thank you."

And I did. Fury was reluctant, very reluctant. It took a lot of arguing, and begging, and well-structured persuasions but after another week, he caved.

So, here I am, a week later, pushing open the door to his small apartment. The whole car ride here, he's been as pale as a ghost. He tried not to stare out of the window, the sight of flashing billboards, cars speeding through the city, and the dozens of glass towers kissing the sky, enough to send him into another seventy-year sleep.

"Well, this is your apartment," I announce opening the door and stepping aside to let him in first.

He barely takes a step into the room before he stops in his tracks and looks around, his features warped into the same awed, yet heartbroken expression he's been wearing all the way here. His arms hang at his side and he breathes in slowly through his nose.

The apartment is fairly basic; to the right of the door, there's a kitchen, which is sectioned off by an L-shaped counter. It consists of a stove and oven, a white fridge, a dishwasher, and a few cupboards. Next to that, there's a small dining table with four seats and a vase of flowers in the middle of it (courtesy of me). Directly in front of us, there's a small living area with a grey sofa and two matching armchairs. There's also a relatively small TV, with a DVD player, and also a stereo. There are a couple more doors dotted around the room, leading to a bedroom and a bathroom.

"It's very... modern." is all he says.

If he thinks this is modern, he should see Dad's house in Malibu.

After pulling the door shut and locking it behind me, I take a few steps forward, so I'm next to him, "You just need time. You'll get used to it." I walk towards the kitchen, "You hungry?" he shakes his head, "Thirsty?" he shakes his head again. I sigh, "Well, I'm just going to assume that you're lying and make you something." He just kind of stands near the doorway awkwardly, whilst I open the fridge, "Take a seat, make yourself comfortable. This is your home."

"Right." he nods, then walks over and awkwardly perches on the edge of the sofa.

"Are eggs and bacon any good?" I ask. He simply nods, so I get on with cooking them, deciding it's best to give him a bit of peace and quiet.

When they're finished, I split them between two plates and place them both down on the table. Hearing the noise of the plate being placed on the table, he silently gets up and sits down opposite me.

"Thank you," he says, picking up the knife and fork I laid out and tucking in.

"You're welcome." I pause, "You know if you need anything, I'm here. Anything. Advice, help, or even just to talk. It's my job to help you out.". He just nods, "Steve, I can't even begin to imagine how hard this must be for you. Maybe talking about it would help you."

He doesn't reply or acknowledge me for a few moments, instead staring blankly down at his plate. A few moments pass before he quietly says, "Howard, your grandfather, I can't imagine him settling down."

"Well, I've heard he was very different back in the day. The Howard I knew was a bit more... serious." I smile to myself, "I never really knew him that well but I know my father and I've heard they're just alike."

"He was a good man. Maybe a little selfish sometimes, but he had good intentions," he tells me.

"Yeah, I know a guy like that."

"And your dad, what's he like?"

I shake my head, laughing breathily, "We don't need to get into that just yet. I don't want to make your brain hurt even more."

He furrows his brow, "What?"

"Let's just say you're not the only superhero anymore."

He chuckles, "I'm not a superhero."

"They wrote comic books about you. I think that's the sole criteria."

"So Betty Boop is a superhero?" he pauses and his face falls, "Sorry, I forgot you won't know-"

"Oh, we still have Betty Boop." I tell him, "But no, obviously not. But you're different. We learn about you in history classes, kids dress up as you, you're a legend."

He hesitates, seemingly thrown off by my words, "So, your dad, he's a superhero?"

"We'll get into that another time. Trust me, it's for your own good." I sigh, "Just picture Howard Stark but with more money, more technology, and more facial hair."

"Well, that's all Howard really had going for him." he jokes half-heartedly.

By now, we've both finished eating, so I take the plates and put them in the dishwasher. He peers over the counter and looks very confused, "What's that?"

I follow his gaze down to the dishwasher, "It's a dishwasher. You put your dishes in it and it cleans them for you."

He nods with interest, "That's... very useful."

"Well, what can I say? The twenty-first century is very... lazy.", I shrug.

We chat a bit more, avoiding the topic of what he's been through. I just tell him about different technology and how it works- cell phones, laptops, microwaves, and other stuff. Before we know it, the sun's setting and we're both sat on the couch.

I try and fail to stifle a yawn, which he (unsurprisingly) notices, "Sorry.", I say, "I had to fight an army of drones the other night."

He gives me a funny look but doesn't pry any further, "You can go home. I can take care of myself."

"Nope. I'm under direct orders to stay with you.", I tell him.

"Well, if you must stay here, you can go sleep in the bedroom. I don't need the rest anyway. I just had a seventy-year long nap.", he chuckles slightly.

"No, really I'm fine.", I lie, feeling another yawn come on.

"Aria, go to sleep or I will have no choice but to literally carry you into the bedroom.", he tells me.

I mean, fine by me, if you know what I'm saying.

"Ugh, fine.", I grumble, getting up, "But if you need anything, and I mean literally anything, wake me up and I will be there."

"Okay, okay.", he nods, laughing.

I walk to the bedroom door, "Anything!", I yell behind me.

"I know!"

A message from the author:
HSLOT WAS INCREDIBLE I CAN'T!!!!! Anyways, hope you all had a good week! Remember to vote and comment! See you all next chapter! (;

- Hannah xoxo

Word count: 1266

Date published: June 17th, 2022

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.8K 105 19
This story takes place during the MCU's Iron Man 1 8 year old Stephanie Stark is Tony Starks adopted daughter. The two aren't necessarily close, but...
39.7K 666 28
This is part 2 of 'Starks daughter'. So if you didn't read the first one, do it now before you read this. You want to live a normal life after the cr...
10.8K 425 36
❝Who am I?❞ ────────────────── ❝You're my daughter.❞ ────────────────── ❝Then how come your never there for me?❞ ────────────────── ˏˋ°‒*β€βž· ...
681K 17.5K 67
BOOK ONE OF THE TONY STARK'S DAUGHTER SERIES (OCxLoki) ~ "I can't remember who I am... who I was! Do you know how that feels!?" I exclaimed with tear...