Angelfall (Skyfall #2)

By marcyswales17

"Oh what an adventure it would be to die..." More

Ch.1 Lover
Ch.2 Play Along
Ch. Baklava
Ch. 4 Undress
Ch.5 Green with Envy
Ch.6 The Human Brain
Ch. 7 Innocence
Ch.8 Onions
Ch.9 Sounds
Ch.10 Good Girls
Ch.11 Play the System
Ch.12 All things nice
Ch.13 Little Fairy
Ch. 14 Take me home
CH.15 Gifts
Ch.16 Be Nice!
Ch.18 Ruby Red
Ch.19 Trust in me
Ch.20 Leave a message
Ch.21 No cream, one sugar
Ch.22 Autura
Ch.23 Bees and Honey
Ch.24 Just a drop
Ch.25 The night changes
Ch.26 And there she was...
Ch.27 Puzzle Pieces
Ch.28 Strangers
Ch. 29 Thunder
Ch.30 Vestal
Ch. 31 Clay Doll
Ch.32 Caveman
Ch. 33 Cry me a river
Ch.34 Introductions
Ch.35 Fresh start and flowers
Ch.36 Heart to heart
Ch. 37 Time out
Ch.38 Soul's Solace
Ch.39 Like it's your last day
Ch.40 Promises of Forever
Ch.41 Bath time
Epilogue

Ch.17 A family Effort

5.4K 524 339
By marcyswales17

Chapter 17

Piper stared at Nora as the nurses adjusted few of the last tubes for the IV and heart monitor. The girl's aunt sat beside her holding her hand as tears ran down her face. The woman muttered prayers under her breath nonstop ever since they had bought Nora out of surgery.

"Dr. Radacovick?"

Piper looked up as the man standing by the door called to her. She gave him a nod and walked over to Lidia.

"Hi," Piper said, slowly lowering herself to look at the woman's face. "I'm going to step out for a few minutes. But if you need anything, just call the nurses, okay?"

Lidia nodded, "Thank you."

"We're not going to let anything happen to her," Piper assured the woman before she straightened up and headed for the door.

"Let's talk in my office," she said, pointing to the room across the hall.

Dr. Banks, the man who had called to her, nodded and followed her. He held Nora's file and anxiously wiped his brows as he took off the hair cap he was wearing and took a seat.

"What the hell was that?" he asked as soon as Piper closed the door. "Did he drop her out of the sky?"

"Hayden is a hybrid," Piper sighed. She sank into her chair and rubbed her forehead. "Whatever happened between them....Nora was in the direct line of fire. She absorbed his energy like a damn sponge."

"With the amount of blood she lost...." Banks checked his charts again. "We could be looking at brain damage or organ failure. It's a miracle this girl didn't drop dead instantly."

"We're starting her on healing clay soon," Piper sighed. "That should help with something."

"We have to be careful," Banks looked at Piper with a frown. "Her body is already weak. Even an extra drop of healing clay and she's gone."

"I'll be monitoring it," Piper assured the man. "Don't worry."

"Okay," Banks nodded. "I'll take this shift. If anything changes with her condition, I'll page you."

"Thanks," Piper smiled.

_____________________

Across the world, in the silent woods of Main, Heyder sat beside his son's bed. The jinn channeled as much of his energy as he could into Hayden's body to make sure he healed completely.

The field outside their house was still burned. Maya stood outside on the desk summoning rain clouds to put out the raging flames that had burned through the wild daisies and grass. Birdie stood beside her, moving the clouds to wherever they were needed the most.

"Mom," the girl looked at her mother as thunder cracked overhead. "Is Hayden...."

"It's okay, baby," Maya touched the edge of Birdie's face and kissed her cheek. "He's going to be fine."

"Why is he not waking up?"

Maya took in a deep breath and said a silent prayer the girl was speaking to her and not her father. Heyder wouldn't have been able to lie to her and Birdie didn't need the stress on her mind. With a small smile, Maya tucked in a strand of Birdie's silver hair behind her pointy ears and ran her thumb over the girl's pale cheeks.

"He's just tired, baby," she said. "He exerted a lot of energy this time. He's going to need some time to recover."

"What happened?" Birdie asked. "What caused this?"

Maya flinched as she heard her son's voice in her head.

Mom....I can't live without her....

"We're not sure," Maya looked up at the rain clouds. "Do you think we need more?"

"I can do this."

"Are you sure?"

Birdie nodded, "Yes."

"Okay," Maya took in a deep breath. The smell of smoke filled her lungs as she turned towards the house. "I'll go check in on baba."

As Maya entered the house, the rain clouds outside multiplied. Birdie scattered them over the forest and commanded them to drop the water they carried. Maya watched her daughter for a few minutes before heading upstairs.

Her thoughts were clouded and her eyes tired. She tried to appear calm for Heyder's sake but she couldn't muster up the energy. Hayden's words ran through her mind, causing her to want to scream. Slowly, as she neared Hayden's door, her eyes landed on Clare standing outside.

"Birdie is getting good at this," she said, pausing as thunder boomed outside.

"She is," Maya nodded. "She's been working with her dad at court."

"I'm glad."

Maya didn't say anything else as they entered the room together. Heyder looked up and his gaze locked with Maya.

I won't let anything happen to him, he mind-linked her immediately. I made a promise, birdie.

I know, Maya nodded.

Heyder shifted his eyes to Clare, "How's Nora?"

"She's out of surgery," Clare said. "Piper is watching her."

A muscle jumped in Heyder's jaw as she stared at Clare, his eyes hardening. He knew he should stay silent, but the girl could already feel what was running through his body.

"Not now, Heyder," Clare shook her head. "Nora is still in danger."

"We could have avoided this," Heyder said.

"We did!" Clare snapped. "Nora moved to the palace. Hayden followed her."

"Because you pushed him towards her!"

"I only did what I was shown. I never wanted this to happen."

"Well, it did, Clare Bear!" Heyder said in anger. "And now if she dies, Hay-"

"No," maya shook her head. "She can't."

Heyder and Clare turned to Maya. they watched as she shook her head and lifted her teary eyes.

"You heard what he said in the hospital," Maya looked at Heyder. "If anything happens to Nora, Hayden is not going to survive it."

"Give him some credit," Heyder rolled his eyes. "He was panicked. He probably didn't even realize what he was saying."

"You weren't the one looking at his eyes, Heyder,'' Maya snapped. "I saw it....we need to save Nora. We'll figure out everything else later. But our first priority should be Nora."

"Maya, our so-"

"Even if he's not head over heels in love with her," Maya stopped the jinn. "If Hayden wakes up and Nora doesn't, he's going to hold that with him forever. It's going to crush him."

"Maya is right," Clare nodded. "You can talk Hayden out of this once they both wake up. You need Nora."

"How are we going to do that?" Heyder ran a hand through his hair. "The girl is as fragile as a bubble floating in a cactus field."

"You can heal her," Clare said.

"She's human," Heyder reminded the girl.

"You healed Fiza before," Maya stepped forward. "You were able to control how much energy you sent out. You can do that for Nora."

"And if I can't?" Heyder asked. "I'm going to toast her."

"You can do it," Clare said. Her eyes shifted to Hayden on the bed. "Heal him first. I'll recharge you and then we go get Nora."

The room grew silent. All eyes were on Hayden and all thoughts on Nora.

________________________________

Kiara sat on her bed staring down at the baby dresses Birdie and Macy had sent for Lila. She ran her hands over the small pieces of delicate fabrics and the detailed lace as a tender smile crossed her lips.

"I think..." she said, as she scanned all the dresses. "I think Lila should wear this first."

Killian looked up as Kiara held up a small red dress, "Red? I could have swore you were going to pick the black one."

"No," Kiara shook her head and admired the dress. "I like this one. What do you think?"

"I like it..." Killian smiled. "It's so tiny."

"Babies are tiny," Kiara laughed. "But isn't this so cute? I have to thank Macy and Birdie. They got the cutest things for Lila."

"Did you open the box Ezra sent?" Killian asked as he slowly sat up and leaned back against the headboard.

"Yes," Kiara nodded. "Did you see what was inside?"

"No," Killian shook his head. "What did he send?"

"A silver spoon," Kiara laughed.

Killian rolled his eyes with disapproval, "Of course he did."

"It has Lila's name engraved on the handle."

Killian was not impressed. He did not like his family and he never tried to hide it. He couldn't stop them from interacting with Kiara but if they were up to him, he would have cut off all communication with them.

As if on cue, the door to their bedroom opened and Tobias stepped inside. The god's eyes fell on the pile of dresses on the bed and then on his happy daughter.

"Look!" Kiara held up the small red dress. "For Lila."

"It's beautiful," Tobias smiled. He cleared his throat and waited until both Killian and Kiara looked up.

"Is everything okay?" Kiara asked, setting down the dress.

"Azazel is here," Tobias announced.

"Oh," Kiara frowned and looked at Killian.

"Why?" Killian's eyes darkened.

"Ezra told her about the baby," Tobias said slowly. "She wants to give a gift."

"We don't need her gift," Killian said. "I don't want her anywhere near Lila or Kiara."

"She's at the door."

"Turn her away," Killian frowned. "This is the underworld. Not a church. We're supposed to keep out visitors."

Tobias took in a deep breath, "Okay...I'll tell her to leave."

"Thank you," Killian said.

"No, wait!"

Tobias paused at the door just as Killian raised a brow.

"Kiara," he looked at the girl. "No."

"Killian," Kiara reached out and took his hand. "She wants to be a part of Lila's life."

"She's a psychotic murdering lunatic!"

"We're not letting her babysit Lila," Kiara pointed out. "You'll be there. And bad and mom. She's human now. I don't think she can hurt Lila."

"No," Killian said stubbornly. "I don't care what she is. I do not want her anywhere near my child. Never."

"Killian, please?" Kiara begged. "Just this once. We'll take the gift and say thank you and that will be the end of it."

"We don't need what she has to give."

"Like it or not, she is your mother," Kiara said. "And Lila's grandmother. I know she is not who we want around our daughter but she has a right to see her....at least once."

"Why are you doing this?"

"Because!" Kiara got off the bed and ran a hand through her curls.

"Why?" Killian asked again, getting up. "You know she's horrible. What possible reasoning can you have to want to see her, Kia?"

"Because she blames me for taking you away from her!"

Killian stilled, "What?"

"And she's right..." Kiara's chest tightened. "I didn't understand it before....but.....I think....I get it now. I mean..."

Killian's eyes narrowed, "Kia?"

"If I lost Lila....to anyone....and didn't get to see her grow up..." Kiara's throat tightened.

"That wasn't your fault," Tobias said from the doorway. "She herself drove Killian away."

"I get that," Kiara said in frustration. "But she was a mother....and she had a right to watch you grow up. I took that from her."

"You didn't take anything from her," Killian shook his head.

"Killian...." Kiara frowned. "Please....I don't....I don't want her to miss out on Lila too...this could be good for us. She's trying to make amends."

"People like her never change," Killian said slowly to make sure Kiara heard every word.

"Maybe...." Kiara looked into his eyes. "But that doesn't mean we should give up on them."

Her words cause Killian to flinch. He knew Tobias felt the same hit.

"Killian..." Kiara closed the gap between them and took his hands. "She's all alone right now. I know we can't forgive her....but we can give her some hope."

Killian didn't reply. He looked away as Kiara bought his hand up to her chest and held it tightly.

"Please," she said. "For Lila...for me?"

Feeling sick to his stomach, Killian slowly looked at Tobias. He held the god's gaze for a few seconds before looking back at Kiara.

"Please?" she said again, her eyes filled with hope.

Every slowly, Killian nodded his head.

"But I want Tobias there the whole time," he added quickly.

"Of course," Tobias said.

"And Posey and me and Cerberus."

"You'll scare the poor woman," Kiara laughed.

"Yeah, sure," Killian rolled his eyes. "That would be the day."

Kiara didn't say anything else as Killian took her hand and led her out of the room. They followed Tobias down to the main hall where Posey waited anxiously with Cerebra laying at her feet. She looked up as Kiara came down the stairs and held up a hand to ask her to come sit beside her.

"If she says anything nasty, she's out of here," Killian said to Tobias. "Forever. For good."

"You don't need to tell me how to take care of my daughter," Tobias said. "Worry about your daughter."

"This is about my daughter," Killian said. "I don't want her near Lila."

"You two are giving me a headache," Kiara said looking over her shoulder. "Be quiet and let's get this over with quickly and calmly."

"Cerberus," Killian called the dog. "Up on your feet."

"She came with a gift," Kiara reminded him again as Tobias stepped outside and portaled to the boundaries of the underworld where Azazel waited.

"I don't like this," Posey said as Kiara moved to stand beside her.

"I know," Kiara sighed. "But let's all be on our best behavior."

"I hate the woman," Killian muttered, earning an elbow from Kiara.

The main hall grew silent as they all waited for Tobias and Azazel. Kiara could feel her heart beating wildly as Posey and Killian sat with stone faces. Cerberus had all his ears on high alert as he stood beside Killian.

The two minutes that they sat felt like an eternity. For a brief second, Kiara began to question herself. Did she do the right thing? But before she could dig deeper, her father entered with the tall red head who was notorious for turning worlds upside down.

"My my," Azazel's smile grew like the Cheshire Cat. "Look at you. You're glowing!"

Killian growled under his breath.

"Congratulations!" Azazel clapped her hands together as she stepped forward to kiss her son's cheeks.

Killian stood as still as a statue before the woman moved on to Kiara. He was tempted to hold her back, but he knew Kiara would give him an earful.

"How far along are you?" Azazel asked, touching Kiara's bump.

"About three months," Kiara said.

"Have you started to crave watermelons yet?" Azazel laughed. "When I was having Killian, that's all I ever wanted."

"No," Kiara shook her head. "No watermelons....just blood oranges."

Azazel paused for a split second before laughing, "That's wonderful."

"Why are you here?" Killian asked, irritated.

"When Ezra told me I was going to be a grandmother, I was over the moon," Azazel looked at her son. "A bit disappointed too. Why didn't you tell me? You could have called, sent a card, something Killian."

"I didn't want you to know."

"Good things never stay a secret," Azazel shook her head. "And this is the best thing in the world!"

"Yay you know our deep secret now," Killian said. "Now, please leave."

"Killian," Kiara elbowed him once more.

"Oh I'm not leaving yet," Azazel shook her head. "I have so much to give to my little Lila Pea."

"We don't want it," Killian said.

"Killian," Azazel's smile faded. "Change your nasty attitude. You're not a child anymore. You are about to be a parent. Behave like one."

"Like you did?"

"Oookay," Posey stepped forward. "Why don't we all sit down?"

"Excellent idea," Azazel said, noting looking away from her son.

Kiara tugged on Killian's hand as they all made their way to the sofas. Posey and Tobias took a seat and Cerberus went to go rest beside them. Killian wanted to guide Kiara to one of the empty seats beside Posey when Azazel swooped in and took the girl's hand.

"Come sit with me," she said. "I have something to show you."

Killian's eyes darkened as he took a seat across from them. He watched like a hawk as Kiara and his mother sat down and the woman pulled out an old photo album.

"These are Killian's baby photos," Azazel said. "I wanted to give them to you."

"Oh," Kiara's heart fluttered. She looked up at Killian and smiled.

Posey grabbed Tobias' hand as they sat holding their breath. They sat silently as Azazel began to show Kiara the photos. Kiara laughed and asked questions as she ran her fingers over the photos and picked out her favorites.

"You can keep all of them," Azazel said. "I would love for Lila to see them when she grows up. And maybe you can make one for her."

"Of course," Kiara beamed as she looked at the photos of baby Killian.

"I got you a little something to get started," Azazel said.

Kiara looked up as the woman pulled out a blush pink baby album. Lila's name was embroidered across the top in little roses and green leaves. Azazel sat it down on Kiara's lap and then looked up at Killian.

"I also got her this," she said, taking out a small velvet pouch. "Hold out your hand, Kiara."

Kiara did as she was told. She held still as Azazel dropped a small gold bracelet from the pouch. A small red ruby dangled from the chains along with a diamond rose.

"A pomegranate seed," Azazel said as Kiara touched the ruby. "And a diamond rose."

"Wow," Kiara looked up. "Thank you.."

"She is my first grandchild," Azazel laughed before reaching into her purse once more. "Last one."

Kiara placed the album and bracelet aside as Azazel pulled out a pair of yellow knitted socks. She dangled them over Kiara's palms before setting them down.

"I knit them myself," Azazel said, with a hint of pride in her voice.

Killian snorted, "You knit?"

"Yes, Killian," Azazel's face fell. "I knit. I learned when I was pregnant with you. I had made you a blanket that you carried around everywhere. Do you remember it? It was yellow too. Your favorite color."

Killian did remember the stupid blanket. He used to hide underneath it when his parents would fight downstairs. Suddenly, he didn't want Lila to have anything yellow.

"They're beautiful," Kiara said, looking at the socks. "Thank you."

Azazel slowly nodded and turned away.

"Thank you so much for all this," Kiara looked around. "You really didn't have to."

"I would have bought more. But I wasn't sure if you would see me," Azazel frowned. "But enough of that. We have more important matters to discuss. What will Lila's surname be?"

"Oh," Kiara's eyes fluttered to Killian. "We haven't really talked about that."

"Traditionally, it should be Azuree," Azazel said. "It should be her father's name."

"Kiara and I are not married," Killian reminded her. "She doesn't have to give Lila my name."

"Nonsense," Azazel shook her head. "This is your child. Of course, it should be Azuree."

"We really haven't talked about this..." Kiara looked to her parents.

"Killian, may I speak to you for a second?" Azazel raised a brow.

"No," Killian shook his head.

"Yes, Killian," Azazel rose to her feet. She glared at her son as he sat still without moving. "Kiara, dear...."

"Don't drag her into this," Killian said bitterly.

Azazel paid him no mind as she stared at Kiara, "He will listen to you."

Kiara slowly turned her eyes towards Killian.

"No," Killian said even before she could open her mouth.

"Killian," Kiara frowned.

"I just want to talk to you," Azazel said firmly.

"Killian," Tobias stepped in to keep the peace. "Go."

With anger in his deep blue eyes, Killian climbed to his feet. He glared at his mother as he turned on his heels and headed towards the library. Azazel began to follow without a word.

Posey and Kiara waited until they heard the door close to let out the breath they had been holding. Kiara leaned back against the seat and sighed as she put aside the socks and album.

"It's not so bad, right?" she asked, looking at her parents.

"I don't like her in my home," Posey muttered.

"She'll be gone soon," Kiara said, slowly rising to her feet.

"Where are you going?" Posey looked up.

"To the bathroom," Kiara said. "I swear I pee like a thousand times a day. Keep an eye on them for me. Stop them if they start fighting each other."

Posey nodded as Kiara made her way to the hall and turned towards the bathroom. She held her belly protectively as her shoes clicked loudly against the floors of the house. Once at the bathroom, Kiara opened the door and paused.

She looked over her shoulder at Cerberus, who had followed her out into the halls. She smiled at the dog and held her finger to her lips to signal him to be quiet. One of Cerberus' heads tilted as Kiara slammed the bathroom door shut as if she had stepped inside.

Taking off her shoes, Kiara tucked them under her arms and silently tiptoed over to the library doors. She pressed her ear to the wood and held her breath as Azazel's voice started to come through.

"You have to give Lila your name," she said. "That is your daughter."

"I don't have to do anything," Killian shrugged. "And I don't see why this is any of your concern when you didn't give me my father's name."

"The properties have already been transferred to you and Lila, you idiot boy!" Azazel hissed. "If she doesn't have the Azuree name, she will get nothing after my death."

"What property?" Killian asked in frustration. "We don't want any of it."

"What property?" Azazel asked as if it was a ridiculous question. "You didn't think I would let you or my granddaughter stay here with a diagnosed psychopath, did you?"

Killian's eyes darkened, "Who told you this?"

"Ezra did," Azazel said.

"She's not a psychopath," Killian said through his teeth. "She's better now. She's been good."

"Oh, wonderful. Give her a cookie," Azazel smiled. "Not my granddaughter."

"Lila is staying here," Killian said. "With me and her mother."

"No," Azazel argued. "I will never let that happen. I didn't plan this for years to have you and Lila stuck here with a psychopath."

"She's not a psychopath!"

"Then why is the Underworld in lockdown?" Azazel asked. "Why are their boundary spells as thick as ice bergs all around? Don't you see how this is just another prison for Kiara?"

"It's not," Killian argued. "It's to keep her safe."

"Or to keep others safe from her," Azazel shook her head. "This must be Tobias' wildest nightmare come true."

Killian narrowed his eyes as he stared at his mother. Who was this woman? Why couldn't he get away from her?

"You knew..." he said slowly. "You knew from the start, didn't you?"

Azazel smiled.

"That's why you made her drink from the calix," Killian shook his head with disgust.

"Of course, I knew, Killian," Azazel rolled her eyes. "What six year old walks around hell fearlessly and walks into Pandora's box? It was all in her eyes....they were so empty."

Killian couldn't have disagreed more. Kiara's eyes were anything but empty. They were always filled to the brim with curiosity and love. They calmed his storms and battled his nightmares. They centered him, anchored him, loved him...they were not empty.

And he was about to tell his mother how wrong she was when he heard a heartbreaking gasp come from the doorway.

Killian's hands froze like ice cubes as he turned and saw the shadow moved from behind the door. He looked at his mother and of course the woman appeared unbothered. Outraged and terrified, Killian rushed over to the door and yanked it open.

The flickering glow of the amber in the fireplace reflected off of the tears running down Kiara's face. She looked up and her gaze met Killian's. Her lips parted, letting out a silent sob that crushed whatever hope had been building in the boy's chest.

"Kia..." Killian reached for her hand.

"Killian," Kiara spoke his name in a meek voice. More tears rose to her eyes as she struggled to breathe through them. "I'm not a psychopath."     

How will I ever fix this mess heheheh          

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

151 6 13
It was cold and dark. I had to find shelter. I saw an abandoned restaurant and thought that that'd be a nice place to wait out the storm at. Little d...
8.3K 550 7
❝IF I COULD BE HONEST FOR ONE DAY, EVEN JUST FOR A SPLIT SECOND, I'D TELL YOU THAT I'M HURTING. AND I MEAN REALLY HURTING.❞ ALL RIGHTS RESERVED | 201...
141K 4.2K 41
I should be living my life like every second was my last, Not wishing it was, But when I'm with her, I forget the difference.
1M 33K 52
" I will fuck you whenever and however I want to, and you will take it like a good wife you are."