The Call to War

By Azazel0886

It's been over two years since Summer Break, since Arthur's friends saw him leave to be trained by the Asura... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38

Chapter 6

3.7K 94 54
By Azazel0886

Arthur followed Virion as they ran down the corridors on their way to the teleportation gate. Before they could even see the room, they saw severely wounded adventurers being carried on stretchers to the infirmary, while those with less severe wounds sat on the floor treating themselves or by others.

Virion and Arthur made their way through everyone, both looking for one person in particular, Tess.

"Damn it where is she?" Virion asked, his voice laced with concern.

"Maybe she hasn't made it through yet," Arthur guessed as he feared the worst.

Arthur continued to make his way through the sea of faces as he looked for someone familiar. As he approached close enough to to actually see the gate, he saw Theo lean up against one of the walls before sliding down to the floor.

"Theo!" Arthur yelled as he pushed his way through everyone.

"Arthur?" Theo said between breaths as he saw him approach, sweat pouring down his face. Beside him were one of his teammates, as well as Tess' team.

"Where's Tess?" Arthur asked, his voice near panic from seeing the rest of her team.

"She was right behind us. She was helping Clare carry Jerry while I carried Thomas," Theo replied.

"There," Stannard said as he pointed. "There's Tess."

Arthur looked in the direction Stannard pointed, and saw Tess and Claire helping get Jerry on a stretcher.

"Tess!"

Tess looked around and saw Arthur pushing his way to her.

"Damn it, why does he have to see me looking like this?" Tess thought to herself. Her clothes were torn and filthy, her hair was a mess, and a combination of mud and blood was caked on any exposed skin.

Upon reaching her Arthur quickly took her into a tight hug. "You're alive," Arthur breathed out as he was finally able to calm down. "Are you ok?"

"Nothing major, but a lot of others weren't as lucky," Tess replied as she looked around.

"What happened?"

"An ambush," Helen said as she walked up. "There must have been another tunnel they were hiding in, because no sooner than the camp walls were down they attacked."

"It was chaos. Captain Drogo managed to organize a large enough group to form a defensive line and ordered everyone else to retreat through the gate you guys left," Claire added.

"Tessia!" Virion called out as saw his granddaughter. He raced over and took her into a hug. "Thank the gods you're alright."

"Commander Virion," Arthur said, significantly louder than was needed. "There are still troops pinned down so everyone else can evacuate. Permission to relieve them so we can save more lives!"

Many eyes were on Commander Virion now as they awaited his decision. Arthur purposely spoke so loud that everyone could hear as to force his hand. Arthur's rage had been boiling, first Elijah, then the fleet. A duel wasn't going to make him feel any better, he needed to kill some Alacryans.

"Just so you know, that wasn't necessary," Virion quietly told him, seeing right through his plan. "Permission granted Lance Arthur, under the condition you make those bastards think twice before ambushing us again!" Virion yelled, making sure everyone knew who he was.

"Let's go Sylvie!" Arthur called out through their bond, and started running.

Everyone that heard what he was about to do got out of his way, as Sylvie jumped onto his shoulder. Arthur jumped up, and flew over everyone and into the gate.

—————————————————————

"Move!"

"Hurry!"

"We need an emitter over here!"

"Conjurers! We need more conjurers at the line!"

Many of the adventurers were pushing and shoving as they tried to get through the teleportation gate. By order of Captain Drogo, the wounded and younger soldiers and Adventurers were to go through the gate, while everyone else held the Alacryans back. They would then slowly back off as groups broke from the defensive line to escape. However enough of these adventurers chose to keep to the dungeons to avoid the Alacryans, so given the situation many ignored the plan and ran to the gate causing utter chaos.

As many pushed their way to escape, something no one else expected happened, someone came back through. Arthur flew over everyone's heads as he sized up the situation. No one knew who just flew in, but thought they must have been crazy. Arthur landed close to the defensive line with a stomp, and immediately a wall of stone and ice erupted from the ground. Alacryan soldiers that were too close were either crushed by the wall when it hit the ceiling, or were completely cut off from their forces and easily killed.

"EVERYONE EVACUATE THROUGH THE GATE NOW!" Arthur yelled while using sound magic to amplify his voice.

Very few questioned Arthur and turned and ran to the gate.

"What the hell is going on here?!" Captain Drogo demanded as he looked for the source of the voice.

"Nice to see you again captain," Arthur commented as he walked over. "By order of Commander Virion, I am here to relieve your unit so you can retreat."

"Just you?" Drogo questioned.

"No," Sylvie jumped down from his shoulder and began transforming. "My bond is here to help me."

As Captain Drogo and several others gawked at the sight of Sylvie in her full sized dragon form, Arthur's eyes widened at a horrific sight. Jasmine was dragging someone off the line, someone with long red hair. She was clearly calling for an emitter, but not one soul was running her way.

"Sylvie come on!" Arthur dashed over towards Jasmine as Sylvie followed.

"Jasmine!"

"Arthur?"

Arthur slid in to confirm what he feared, Jasmine was dragging Adam, with a stone spike running right through his abdomen.

"Hey," Adam said with a forced smile. "So the little monster came to see me off?"

"Not funny you idiot," Arthur replied, then looked up to Sylvie. "You can heal him right? I was told you were taught some healing magic."

Sylvie shook her head. "I'm sorry, my healing isn't powerful enough to heal this."

"Maybe you can with more emitters. Jasmine, try and find someone."

Jasmine nodded and ran off

"Don't worry about it," Adam forced out before coughing up blood. "I had a hell of a time. Just do me one favor."

"Name it," Arthur replied.

"Name your first son after me," Adam managed a smirk.

"Like hell I'll do that, but hang in there and I'll make sure he calls you uncle Adam."

"Do you really want me around your kids?"

"No not really," tears began streaming down Arthur's cheeks. "But if you survive I'll deal with it."

Adam smiled as he laughed a little, before coughing up more blood.

"All the emitters are already gone," Jasmine said as she returned.

"It's ok, just give them hell for me," Adam said with a smile, before he breathed his last breath and his smile faded.

Arthur wiped the tears from his eyes. "Jasmine, get to the gate." Art then removed his sword from his dimensional ring. "I'll finish things here."

Jasmine wanted to protest, to stay and fight with him, but everyone could feel his killing intent, and wasn't about to argue, as it felt as if death itself was holding its blade at their throats.

"Don't do anything too reckless. There are a lot of people waiting for you to come back," Jasmine said, before running to the gate.

"Captain," Arthur said in a dark tone to Captain Drogo who was behind him. "Get your unit out of here."

Without a word the captain ran off to direct the evacuation.

Arthur then encased Adam's body in ice, before standing up and facing the ice and stone wall. Arthur stared at the wall, looking down its length.

"Looks like they're trying to come through down there," Arthur commented as he sensed a great deal of fire mana at one spot.

As he and Sylvie approached the area Arthur prepared a spell that even the adventurers evacuating could feel. Once in position Arthur unleashed a powerful stream of sound and lightning magic, looking as though a storm had erupted from his hand as lightning cracked and thunder boomed. The spell blasted away a hole in the wall, as everyone in its path was killed. As several Alacryan soldiers looked around the opening, they were greeted by the sight of Arthur and Sylvie rushing in to attack.

Captain Drogo continued making sure all of his people made it through the gate as the sounds of screams and spells being cast echoed through the dungeon. After ten minutes he was the last one there, and during the entire time not one Alacryan soldier came through the opening in the wall, and screams never ceased. He looked back one last time, tempted to run and yell to Arthur that they were done, but knowing Arthur probably wouldn't leave anyway, and stepped through the gate.

—————————————————————

"Commander this is ridiculous, he's just one person. We need to close the gate," Bairon pleaded to Virion.

Back at the castle, it had been nearly an hour since Arthur left, and no one had returned since Captain Drogo. Dozens of knights and soldiers lined the hall facing the teleportation gate. Many of the adventurers that were still able to fight were mixed in, including the Twin Horns and Tess. Even Arthur's parents were there, his father still wearing some nicer clothes with gauntlets ready to fight, and his mother worrying to no end as she was prepared to heal any injuries he may have sustained. Commander Virion stood in the middle with Bairon to his left, Aya to his right, and Varay in front.

"The gate will stay open. I won't close it until either Arthur walks back through, or Alacryan soldiers do," Virion replied as his eyes never once left the gate.

"And what if one of these, retainers or scythes come through?" Bairon asked.

"That's why I have you three here."

"But commander..." Bairon started before being interrupted from someone a few feet in front of him.

"Honestly general, it almost sounds like you're scared of them," Tess commented, causing a few to have to contain their laughter, including the other two Lances. "But of course we all know that can't be true."

Tess had long since disliked Bairon, his behavior towards Arthur in the past was unbecoming of someone of his stature. While Arthur was in training with the Asura he went as far as belittling Arthur by saying training him was a waste, and that a proper soldier would have been a better choice than a child.

"Princess," Bairon said with his teeth clentched, annoyed that he was being made a fool of. "I don't expect you to understand due to your young age, but I am simply thinking about this logically. These mages of theirs are at least as powerful as a lance, which means they could cause a great deal of death and destruction upon the castle and everyone in it before we could hope to defeat them. If Arthur survives his engagement with those Alacryan soldiers, all he needs to do is get to a teleportation gate or notify us and we could..."

"SOMEONE IS COMING THROUGH!" A soldier yelled.

"EVERYONE GET READY! DO NOT ATTACK UNTIL THE TARGET HAS BEEN IDENTIFIED, AND SHUT DOWN THE GATE AS SOON AS HE'S THROUGH!" Virion yelled.

Weapons were at the ready, the tanks up front lowered their center of gravity as they braced themselves, conjurers began chanting spells, if an Alacryan were to come through that gate they were all ready to kill him.

A figure could be seen in the gate getting closer and closer, until he finally emerged.

"Arthur!" Alice cried as she began rushing to the front, Rey, Virion, and Tess close behind.

The gate was shut down as the soldiers looked at Arthur in horror. From head to toe Arthur was covered in blood, as if he had bathed in it. He continued walking with a body over his shoulder and Sylvie walking beside him, as everyone got out of his way. His face was expressionless as he continued, and stopped right in front of Helen and the Twin Horns.

"It didn't feel right to leave him there to rot," Arthur said as he lowered Adam's body.

Durden took Adam, as tears began to stream down the faces of him and the other Twin Horns.

"Thank you," Helen said. "He can have a proper burial now."

Arthur nodded and turned to walk away.

"Arthur!" Alice had just arrived at her son and began to look him over. "Where are you hurt, I'll patch you right up." She said in a panic.

"I'm fine, none of this is my blood," Arthur replied emotionlessly.

Many looked at him in disbelief, but they soon realized he had to have been right. His cloak was missing, but there wasn't even the slightest tear in his clothes.

Arthur noticed Virion arriving and turned to face him. "I'm sorry commander, I failed to follow your orders."

"Failed?" Virion questioned as he looked confused.

"None of the Alacryan soldiers survived, so there won't be anyone to think twice about ambushing us again," Arthur replied coldly.

"T-t-that's fine Arthur," Virion stuttered slightly. "You completed your main objective, you saved the Trailblazers from being wiped out. Many people are alive today thanks to you."

In that moment everyone but the Lances, his parents, and Virion bowed in respect to what he had done.

"I need a shower commander, which way to my room?"

Virion grabbed one of the castle knights and told him what room was Arthur's. "He'll show you the way."

Arthur nodded and walked off, not acknowledging anyone else. Tess reached out for him, but was stopped by Rey grabbing her shoulder.

"No. The battles not over for him yet," Rey stated as he watched with a pained expression as Arthur walked away.

"What?" Tess questioned, not understanding what he meant.

"He's right Tessia," Virion said as he placed a hand on her other shoulder. "I've seen this before, despite his incredible skills and that he has killed before, this battle was different. He just learned that people he cared about died, something he's never experienced before. This was a battle of revenge for him. He needs to work through this on his own right now. Just give him some time."

—————————————————————

Arthur followed the knight down several corridors and down a flight of stairs to his room.

"Here is your room General," The knight said as he gestured to a set of wooden doors.

"Thank you," Arthur replied then walked in.

"Well doesn't that bring you back?" Said a deep voice.

"Shut up and go away!" Arthur demanded.

"Unfortunately I can't do that and you know it."

Arthur turned to face him. He was in his mid thirties, had sandy blonde hair, was clad in black armor with a red cape, and topped with a golden crown.

"I've been fine for the last sixteen years without hearing you, so why now Grey!" Arthur demanded in a threatening tone.

"It's hard to find a child threatening," Grey commented as he walked closer. "Especially since I'm not actually here."

"I kind of knew that. You're some figment of my imagination, stress from the battle, or..." Arthur paused.

"Or you're crazy?" Grey taunted. "Maybe, actually probably. But that's not why you're seeing me now." Grey said as he examined the room.

"Then why are you here?"

"Because you need me."

"I don't need you. I have the skills I gained while I was you, and that I gained as myself. You have no purpose here!" Arthur replied angrily as his eyes followed his former self.

"But you are missing the one thing about me you need most now," Grey said as he stopped to face him.

"I don't need that," Arthur replied as his eyes narrowed on Grey.

"Oh really? Let's see, Elijah is dead while you were away, and Adam died because of you" Grey taunted

"No, Adam was not my fault," Arthur argued, trying just as much to convince himself.

"Oh really? What are the odds that they would have been attacked just a few hours after you arrived?"

"We don't know that. They could have just been waiting there, they probably were," Arthur replied sounding less confident. The odds were too great, so Arthur had already suspected that they somehow knew he had arrived.

"Regardless, the wars just started and you've already lost two people you care about. How many more friends do you think will die?"

"Shut up."

"Do you think you'll be able to protect your parents?"

"Shut up.

"Your sister?"

"Shut up!"

"How about that pretty elf girlfriend of yours, Tess"

"SHUT UP!" Arthur yelled as he snapped, charging at Grey and throwing a punch, only to smash a mirror.

"Done with your temper tantrum?" Grey asked with a smirk from across the room.

"Just go away," Arthur said more calmly.

"You won't survive."

"I don't care."

"I mean mentally. As all those people you care about start dropping like flies you'll slowly lose yourself, and eventually just become me again."

"No, I'll never become you again."

"It'll happen one way or another, you can't stop it." Grey stood tall right in front of Arthur. "But you can make it easier on yourself."

Arthur looked down as he listened.

"Just embrace it, cut everyone off, close yourself to everyone. Only when you don't have them, those weaknesses holding you back, can you truly fight this war at your peak."

"No, l-I won't," Arthur hesitated. He knew Grey was right. If he didn't care he could become more effective in combat, he could lead and make the hard decisions that he wasn't sure if he could make now.

"Trust me, they might hurt at first, but they'll be better off living than as corpses. Just embrace the part of you that is me."

Arthur shook, he didn't want to be Grey again, but he didn't want those he loved to die either.

"Arthur!" Sylvie cried out as she burst into the room. "Where is he!" She demanded angrily.

"No one else is here Sylv, it's just me talking to myself," Arthur replied, not wanting to sound too crazy.

"No, I know he's here! I can hear him!" Sylvie argued as she started sniffing around.

"You can hear him?" Arthur asked, shocked.

"Yes, but only through our bond," Sylvie replied as she sniffed, then looked up at Arthur. "What is that?" She jumped up onto Arthur and began sniffing him. "It's you?"

"Me? What's me?"

"You stink," Sylvie said as she worked to pinpoint the sent.

"Wow, thanks Sylvie," Arthur replied sarcastically.

"I think you should pay attention to her, I think she's on to something," Grey commented.

Sylvie suddenly stopped and shook her head. "It's your tunic! There's something on it!"

"Something on it?" Arthur repeated as he lifted up his tunic and took a sniff. At first he didn't notice anything over the scent of blood, but then he became a little light headed and dizzy.

"And there you go, you found it," Grey commented.

Arthur shook his head and ripped his tunic off and ignited it with a blue flame.

"Was that really necessary?" Grey questioned.

"No clue, but better safe than sorry," Arthur replied as he leaned up against a wall and slid down to the floor, then began taking deep breaths. "So, at some point during the battle I got some kind of hallucinogen on me."

"Nice to see your mind hasn't dulled much," Grey commented in a superior tone.

"Which means you're just a by-product of that, and you'll be leaving soon," Arthur replied with a triumphant smile.

"More or less. You see I'm just the personification of your subconscious, given form because of the hallucinogen. So yes you won't be seeing me, but I'll always be there in your head."

"I know." Arthur then looked up at Grey. "But don't forget, you gave up everything because you realized you wanted what I'm fighting for. A family, friends, love, you wanted all of it in the end."

For the first time Grey smiled. "That's right, but things were also different. You're going to war, and at some point you'll have to make sacrifices, and decide if you'll become me or not." Grey went down to a knee to face Arthur. "You may be physically stronger and more powerful, but so are your enemies. You may never see me again, but we definitely will talk again, everytime you even consider that I'm right."

As if blown away by a breeze he disappeared.

"Finally," Arthur breathed a sigh of relief. "Nice that that's over with."

"Arthur," Sylvie sat down beside Arthur facing him. "Were you really him in your past life?"

Arthur's face shot to Sylvie, his eyes wide. "How did you know that?"

"I think I always knew, but I didn't understand until recently. So were you him?"

Arthur sighed as he hung his head. "Yeah I was. I was an orphan, and the closest thing I had to a parent was the orphanage director. After she was murdered I went on a path for revenge, even finding a mentor who was able to help me refine my skills. She told me personal connections were a weakness, and as the foolish teen I was I listened to her. I discarded my friends, and didn't realize my mistake until it was too late."

"Don't become him again, please, "Sylvie pleaded. "I got more through our bond than just his voice, he was so cold, like he was incapable of loving anyone or anything."

"I won't Sylv."

"Promise?"

Arthur gave a weak smile as he reached over and petted Sylvie's head.

"I promise."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.3K 682 32
{Spoiler warning for entirety of The beginning after the end novel written by TurtleME93} After having been captured by scythe Nico, princess Tessia...
148K 3.8K 131
Jude Bayer was a warrior who fought against the Overlords of Hell until his last breath. But his story did not end there. He was reborn as Jude Leywi...
1.7K 113 6
In this "The Beginning After The End" fanfiction, we delve into an alternate reality where Arthur Leywin arrives at Xyrus Academy without any memorie...
4.5K 326 41
Pain. The story of an apathetic teen in the world of tbate The usual warnings of violence, gore, and curses Don't expect much from this fic becaus...