Angelfall (Skyfall #2)

By marcyswales17

"Oh what an adventure it would be to die..." More

Ch.1 Lover
Ch.2 Play Along
Ch. Baklava
Ch. 4 Undress
Ch.5 Green with Envy
Ch.6 The Human Brain
Ch. 7 Innocence
Ch.8 Onions
Ch.9 Sounds
Ch.10 Good Girls
Ch.11 Play the System
Ch.12 All things nice
Ch. 14 Take me home
CH.15 Gifts
Ch.16 Be Nice!
Ch.17 A family Effort
Ch.18 Ruby Red
Ch.19 Trust in me
Ch.20 Leave a message
Ch.21 No cream, one sugar
Ch.22 Autura
Ch.23 Bees and Honey
Ch.24 Just a drop
Ch.25 The night changes
Ch.26 And there she was...
Ch.27 Puzzle Pieces
Ch.28 Strangers
Ch. 29 Thunder
Ch.30 Vestal
Ch. 31 Clay Doll
Ch.32 Caveman
Ch. 33 Cry me a river
Ch.34 Introductions
Ch.35 Fresh start and flowers
Ch.36 Heart to heart
Ch. 37 Time out
Ch.38 Soul's Solace
Ch.39 Like it's your last day
Ch.40 Promises of Forever
Ch.41 Bath time
Epilogue

Ch.13 Little Fairy

5.5K 509 228
By marcyswales17

Chapter 13

Kiara sat scrolling through the files on her laptop as she stirred her tea. It had gone cold hours ago, but she paid no mind. Her thoughts were occupied by the picture of the Livia Murd on the screen.

Every time she read the words skyfall, her skin prickled up as if someone had shocked her. Her bones chilled and her stomach turned. She could still hear Bram's voice in her head, mocking her, threatening her. The feel of the silver cuffs around her ankle was still very prominent in her mind. Some nights, Kiara was too afraid to move her legs out of fear the shackles might make too much noise.

But along with all the heartbroken emotions also came anger. And what an anger it was. Kiara had never felt the kind of rage pump through her veins. It was urgent and impatient. Fire from the darkest pits of hell ignited in her eyes every time she thought about the island.

That's what they do...

That voice again. Kiara couldn't stop hearing that voice in her head. It was constantly there. And it made so much sense...

They hurt you...

"They do," Kiara felt her chest tighten.

When do you get a say in what happens in your life?

Kiara's fingers began to tremor over the keys on her laptop. She tried to move them and hold the steady but it was no use.

They all want to possess you just to use you...

"I know..." Kiara's voice cracked.

Suddenly, the door to the room opened and Killian walked in. His face immediately lit up as he looked at Kiara. The light in his eyes made her heart tumble down hills. All she ever wanted was for him to look at her like that.

Do you think he would still love you?

Kiara's heart froze. The smile on her lips dimmed as she stared at Killian.

Does he love you?

"Hey, baby," Killian walked over to the bed and leaned down to kiss Kiara's head. "What are you doing?"

"Nothing," Kiara sighed, shutting off the laptop and tossing it aside on the bed.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, why?"

"You look a bit...lost," Killian tilted his head. "What's wrong?"

"I'm fine," Kiara lied. "I just....I don't think I slept enough."

"Why don't you take a nap right now?" Killian began to move the pillows back. "You look exhausted."

"I'm fine, Killian," Kiara said firmly.

Will he still love you?

Killian hesitated slightly. He peered at Kiara for a few seconds as she fussed with her hair and the front of her dress. Her brows were knit together in irritation as if she was growing angrier by the second.

"Kia," Killian reached out and took hold of her chin. He tilted her head back and stared into her brown eyes. "I'm worried about you."

"Why?" Kiara raised a brow.

"Because you haven't really been acting like yourself," Killian frowned. He felt all the emotions of the last few days rise up in his throat as he moved closer and pulled her onto his lap. "And then the other night....with you teleporting."

"I just," Kiara shrugged, not knowing what to say. "I think there's just a lot going on right now."

"We should go to the fates."

"No!" Kiara jumped off Killian's lap. "Stop saying that. I am not going to them! They're evil and heartless."

"Evil?" Killian asked in confusion. "What are you talking about?"

"They wrote this into our lives," Kiara argued. "They know everything that's going to happen but they will never give us a heads up. Why should we help people like that? They knew about Lila and yet they still let Bram take me! They put my baby in harm's way and I will never forgive them."

"Our baby," Killian corrected her. "They put our daughter in harm's way."

"You didn't even know about her!"

"I can't read mind, Kiara," Killian shook his head. "Yeah, I didn't know about her but that was the situation we were in."

"The situation the fates put us in," Kiara said. "I hate them. I can't look at them. I can see it in their eyes. They know what's going to happen but they will never tell us."

"But that's life," Killian tried to take her hand.

"I don't want that," Kiara yanked her hand away. "All of this is their fault. This mess with project skyfall and everything...they're letting it happen."

Killian didn't know what to say. He stared at Kiara with worry in his eyes as she stared back with anger and resentment. He didn't want to admit it but parts of him knew she was angry with him. She wouldn't let him touch her belly. She calls Lila her baby. She looks at him with so much...emptiness in those eyes at times.

Some days he thought he saw a glimpse of Kiara. When she wakes up or when she's in his arms laughing. But the moments pass too quickly. It was as if he had her right beside him, yet she was always somewhere far far away in her head.

With a deep sigh, Killian ran a hand through his hair. His lungs didn't function properly as he looked up at his girl standing before him with her angry eyes.

"How are things going with Dr. Trystan?" Killian asked. "When you see her next?"

Kiara suddenly laughed, "Why? Is my crazy showing, Killian?"

"No," Killian's eyes darkened. "Stop that."

"I can see the way you look at me," Kiara took a step back. "The way all of you look at me. You're making me go crazy."

"Kiara," Killian got up from the bed and took a step towards her. "No one is making you go crazy. We want to help you."

"Is that what Clare told you?" Kiara raised a brow. "She's the one doing all this isn't she?"

"No," Killian tried to reason with her. He was beginning to grow worried about how she was acting. "Kia, come here. Stop this right now. No one is doing anything. We all want you to be safe. I want you to be safe. You and Lila. Both of you. If anything ever happens to either one of you then I don't know what I will do."

"Then let's leave," Kiara said.

"What?" As Killian stared, Kiara's eyes began to water. Her bottom lip trembled and her cheeks grew pale.

"Killian, I heard what Clare and Dr. Trystan said about me," she held her hands close to her chest.

"Wh..what did they say?"

"They think I'm crazy," tears began to fall down Kiara's face. She locked her eyes with Killian as she took a small step forward. "They keep asking me all these questions. They're trying to get me to confess to something."

"No, kia. They're trying to help you."

"No!" Kiara shook her head. "They think I'm crazy and I'm dangerous. They're going to take me away. They're going to take Lila away from us."

"Kiara, I don't think that's what's happ-"

"I heard them, Killian," Kiara said. "They don't trust me. I see the way Clare looks at me. It...it scares me. I want to leave. Please, can we leave?"

"We can't leave," Killian shook his head. "We're having a baby. We need to stay here."

Kiara slowly gasped. She took a step back and wrapped her arms around herself.

"They've convinced you I'm crazy too, didn't they?" She asked.

"No," Killian shook his head. "I know you. You're not crazy."

"Can we please leave?" Kiara begged again. "I don't like it here. They make me feel unsafe. Please, Killian. I want to leave."

"Kia," Killian held up his hands. "Relax, babe. I'm here. No one is going to hurt you."

"No," Kiara sobbed. "Clare will change your mind. If we stay here, she'll convince you I'm crazy."

"You're not crazy," Killian said, taking her hand. "No one is going to convince me you're crazy."

"I want to leave," Kiara sobbed harder as she walked into Killian's arms.

She buried her face in his chest and gripped his shirt with her small hands. His warm arms wrapped around her tightly as he held her head and kissed her several times. Beneath her hands, Kiara could feel Killian's heart humming wildly. She pulled back just a little and looked up into his dark blue eyes.

"I want to leave," she said once again.

________________________

"So Enzo," Nora cleared her voice as she observed the guy in front of her.

At first she had seen only the brown in his hair. But as she looked closer, she started to pick up small traces of blonde playing hide and seek in between the dark curls.

"What are you?" Nora asked.

"I'm half jinn and half human," Enzo smiled. "My father is a jinn and mother is human."

"Oh nice," Nora nodded, feeling a strange bitterness in her chest. "How do you know Mr. Heyder?"

"I used to work for Ali," Enzo explained. "But last week, I was informed I was being transferred."

"Ah, just like me," Nora said. "I used to work for the palace. But then Clare had me come here."

"Why are you leaving? If you don't mind me asking?"

Nora gave a nervous laugh before leaned back slightly in her chair, "It's a bit of a long story."

Enzo just started, waiting for the story.

"You see, my boss....our boss, isn't the nicest person to work with," Nora said with hesitation.

"Really?" Enzo frowned, reaching up to adjust his glasses. "He seemed polite."

"Noooo," Nora shook her head. "Hayden is not polite. He's.....vicious. Devious. Cunning."

"But that's how all jinns are..." Enzo muttered quietly.

"But Hayden really takes it up a notch," Nora leaned forward and lowered her voice. "Did they make you sign the non disclosure forms yet?"

"No," Enzo shook his head.

"He will," Nora whispered. "And once you sign those forms...you are in for life, buddy."

"Did you sign them?" Enzo leaned forward and whispered.

"Yes..." Nora nodded. "Oh the things I've seen. The things Hayden does."

"If it's for life, then how are you leaving?" Enzo wondered, his voice still a whisper.

"Because...." Nora scrambled to think of something. "I've seen too much. I've started to ask questions. And he doesn't like that."

"Well, what does Hayden do here?"

"No one knows..." Nora looked around the empty office. "But whatever you do, do not sign any contracts with Hayden. And even if he scares you into signing them, make sure you read every word."

"Nora."

Nora screamed as Hayden's voice called to her from the door. Enzo jumped back in his chair, his breaths coming out in small puffs.

"What are you doing?" Hayden raised a brow.

"Nothing," Nora jumped up from her chair. "Nothing at all, Mr. Hayden."

Mr. Hayden, Hayden wondered.

She had never called him that. What was she up to?

"How can I help you, sir?" Nora asked.

The smile on her face made Hayden hesitate. He stared at her big round brown eyes and could almost see his reflection swimming in them. She was full of mischievous energy. Like a small fairy, up to no good. If she had wings, they would be fluttering away behind her, casting colors of all sorts to be dancing over the room.

Hayden looked down at the file in his hands and frowned. Fairies most definitely didn't aid with assassinations.

"Enzo," with a deep breath, Hayden looked up at the new boy. "Please look through this file. I left instructions inside."

"Yes, sir," Enzo jumped up from his seat and took the file.

Nora frowned as she watched the guy rush over to his bag and pull out his laptop. He was about to settle in on the armchair when Hayden spoke up once more.

"Nora, let him use your desk," he said.

"Where will I sit?" Nora looked around.

"You can go sit at my desk or something," Hayden pointed. "I won't be in here today."

"And what do I do at your desk?"

"You can...." Hayden looked around the room for a task. "Ah! Birdie wanted me to look over her essay for English. You can do that. And then input the grades for my history class. I already graded the assignments."

"You want me to edit English essays?" Nora deadpanned.

"Shouldn't be too hard," Hayden smiled. "You were the star student in AP English in school, right?"

Nora narrowed her eyes. Was he mocking her? He had to be. She had a whole degree in computer science, making her one of the best technical analysts at the palace but here he was! Making her edit high school papers.

"Birdie's paper is in my download folder," Hayden said when Nora didn't reply.

Enzo's typing filled the room as Nora narrowed her eyes and glared at Hayden. His mouth twitched with amusement as he tried to keep a straight face. Gone was the mischievous fairy. Nora was now in full on raging pixie mode.

Despite the obvious anger in her eyes, Hayden wanted to walk up to her and tug on her ponytail. She would lose it if he dared to tease her. But he wanted to do it so bad. His palms were practically twitching to poke her.

"Enzo," Hayden said, not taking his eyes off of Nora. "I'll need that file by tonight please."

"Yes, sir," Enzo nodded.

"Thank you," Hayden walked out of the room.

Nora whirled around to face Enzo as soon as the door closed. She slammed her hands down on her desk and leaned closer to the boy.

"You see," she whispered. "I know too much. That's why he's not letting me do anything. I've started to put together all his shady business."

"This is just a background check..." Enzo held up the file.

"What?" Nora paused.

"He wants me to find out her schedule and personal information."

"Let me see that," Nora took the file from the boy.

Her eyes scanned the file and the notes Hayden had scribbled down with his annoyingly neat handwriting. He needed to know where she would be for the next two weeks. He needed the blueprints of her house and her office building. Her medical records and list of business rivals...what was Hayden up to?

Kiara flipped the page over and made her way to the front of the file. Her eyes fell on the picture at the stop along with the very familiar name.

Livia Murd.

Why is this name so familiar? Nora wondered as she scanned the details.

Livia Murd, Livia Mord, Livia Murd....

"Um...Nora?"

"Yes?" Nora looked up at Enzo.

"I...I have to get back to work," Enzo pointed to the file.

"Oh right," she was about to hand back the file when her brain prickled with ideas. "Actually, Hayden forgot to tell you that he likes copies of his files."

"What?" Enzo asked.

"Yeah," Nora nodded. "He's very big on that. I had millions of copies my first month here. I suggest you do it right away. If he comes back and doesn't see a copy..."

"But he didn't tell me to make a copy."

"That excuse won't fly with him," Nora shook her head. "He expects us to be mind readers."

A deep stressful frown formed on Enzo's face. He looked down at the file and then at Nora.

"Don't worry," the girl said politely. "I'm here to help. Here, let me make the copies for you."

"Thank you," Enzo sighed with relief.

"Of course," Nora smiled.

As if I would ever let you outshine me, she snorted in her mind. I read your resume, Enzo Greens. Not impressive at all, buddy.

Nora quickly made a copy of the file along with all of Hayden's notes. She handed Enzo back the originals and went over to Hayden's desk to get started on her own research. Birdie's essay would have to wait. She was going to prove to Hayden once and for all why she was the best of the best.

__________________________

Turns out Nora still had it in her to surprise herself every now and then. By the time Enzo finished his task, she had completed all of Hayden's requests on the file and read over Birdie's essay. As she commented and made corrections, her eyes watched Enzo over the edge of the laptop.

You're not going to win. She thought to herself. Who takes a whole day to complete one file?

Finally, what seemed like an eternity, Hayden finally made an appearance at the office. Nora smiled brightly upon seeing him and leaned back in her chair as Enzo handed Hayden the file.

"Thank you," Hayden said. "Great first day. Why don't you take the rest of the evening off?"

"Thanks," Enzo said gleefully, feeling proud of himself.

Nora felt a ping of guilt in her heart at the thought of having to rain on his parade. But boy was she ready to make it pour. She held her excitement in as best as she could while watching Enzo gather his things and leave for the day. Hayden held the door for him and wished him good night as the boy headed out.

"How's the essay?" He finally turned to look at Nora once they were alone in the office.

"It's fantastic," Nora grinned.

"Great," Hayden said. "I guess you can head out too if you're done."

"Yeah, that's a wonderful idea," Nora nodded as she rose from behind Hayden's desk. "But before I go, do you want to check over Enzo's work?"

"Why?" Hayden narrowed his eyes in suspicion.

His gaze stalked her as she walked around the desk and made her way over to the back of the office by the coffee machine. The dim light made it hard to see the glint in her brown eyes, but Hayden liked the way it made the space feel smaller and more...intimate?

"Just to make sure you don't need me to do anything else," Nora shrugged. "It's his first day. It's always good to check things over."

"I'm sure he did just fine," Hayden muttered as he opened the file and began to look over all the documents.

Schedule? Check.

Blueprints? Check.

Medical records? Check.

Address of all properties owned? Check.

"Oh, what's that?" Nora asked curiously, walking over to where Hayden leaned against her desk.

"Blueprints," Hayden muttered without looking up. Everything seemed to be correct.

"I hope they're from the right year."

"What?" Hayden looked up.

Nora's smile widened on her face. Hayden didn't understand why it made him feel so giddy to see her act so sneaky. She held the coffee mug in her hands and wrapped her fingers around it, twiddling her thumbs.

"Oh, nothing," she shook her head. "Just...the Murd office renovations."

"What are you talking about?" Hayden raised a brow.

"I'm sure it's in the file," Nora said. "Enzo must have seen that the blueprints are from two years ago. Since then the Murd office underwent two renovations where they extended the third floor. There was a big party for the grand reopening."

Hayden couldn't stop that laughter that rose to his lips. He dropped his gaze back on the blueprints and sure enough there was no trace of the third floor. If he had gone in with the paper on file, he would have been blind sided.

"It's....not in here," Hayden said, looking back up at Nora.

"Oh?" Nora frowned. "What a shame? You would have really liked the Laser beam security system they installed. OH! And the biometric eye screening locks. Which only allows two failed attempts before a silent alarm goes off and the laser beams come out."

Oh what a devious little fairy you are, Nora Kennedy, Hayden thought to himself as he sat the file down and gave her his full attention.

"Tell me more," he said.

"Coffee?" Nora handed him the mug. "No cream, one sugar."

"Thank you," Hayden chuckled, taking the mug.

He took a sip as Nora rushed over to his desk and pulled out another file. She hurried back over to him and sat down on the edge of the desk right beside him.

"Okay, this Murd lady is really sketchy," Nora said, flipping through her paper. "The building had no permit for the new constructions. When locals complained, the permit randomly showed up half way through renovation. And the staff she hired? All their files are locked. No record of anyone officially working for her. Which is suspicious because look at the size of the revenue the company brings in. There is no way she's doing all this work on her own."

"What else did you find?" Hayden asked, setting the coffee mug aside.

"She does not have any medical history, but.."

"There's always a but."

"Yes, of course," Nora laughed. "Look at this. Livia Murd has no major medical history in the U.S. Just a few heart medications. But she spent three weeks in a private clinic in South Korea. When she came back, the heart medications stopped. All the medications stopped. But she gets a regular expedited shipment of packages from Korea every two weeks."

"What kind of heart medications were they?" Hayden asked, leaning over slightly to get a better look at the file on Nora's lap.

"For heart failure," Nora said. She looked up and the dim light in the room caught her brown eyes, "Hayden....I know this sounds a bit crazy. But I think....I think she might have gotten a heart transplant in Korea."

"What makes you say that?"

"Livia is a heavy drinker and smoker," Nora said. "There was no way she would have been prioritized on the donor list in the U.S. North Korea has a very large underground black market for organs..."

"You think she went to Korea and got a heart from the black market," Hayden stared into her eyes. "And the packages she gets are her meds to keep her going."

"I know you think I'm crazy."

"No," Hayden shook his head with a small smile on his lips. "I think you're very brilliant."

Nora's face slowly lit up in the most extraordinary way possible. It was as if she won the lottery. Hayden reached up and pushed back a few pieces of baby hair that were starting to come over her forehead.

For the first time, he began to notice how close they were. She sat on top of her desk with her legs folded in front of her like a pretzel. He sat only a few centimeters away, his long legs stretched out in front of him as he leaned closer to her.

"Who is she?" Nora asked, pulling Hayden out of his head.

"What?" He cleared his throat.

"Livia Murd," Nora said. "Why are we looking into her?"

And there is it, Hayden thought to himself. He knew her curious mind would ask that question.

Tell her, Hayden, a small voice mocked Hayden in his mind. Go on, tell her why you are looking into Livia Murd.

"Nora," Hayden frowned. "Why did you do this?"

"Do what?" Nora asked in confusion.

"I didn't give you this task," Hayden looked down at the file. "This was supposed to be Enzo's job."

"But I did a better job!" Nora laughed.

"I know you're brilliant," Hayden sighed, rubbing his face. "But stop getting into my business."

"Getting into your business?" Nora's voice dropped. Her face fell and the light in her eyes dimmed. Hayden looked at her and felt his chest shiver with regret.

"I just..." Nora looked utterly confused and baffled. "I wanted to help."

"You can help with everything else," Hayden slowly took the file from her lap. "Just not this."

"Why not?"

"Because...." Hayden didn't know what to say.

Because you're good? Because you have a normal life, a guilt free conscious? Because you will look at me differently if you knew what I would be doing with the information you so eagerly gathered for me?

"Because it's not your job anymore," Hayden said instead.

"You never let me do my job," Nora frowned. "This is the first time I did an-"

Just then, the door to the office opened and Clare walked in. Her eyes landed on Hayden and Nora sitting on the table with just the coffee mug between them. After a split second, Hayden slowly straightened up and cleared his throat.

"Can I speak to you for a second?" Clare asked. "Outside."

"Yes," Hayden nodded.

Nora watched as he sat the file down and followed Clare out of the office. She watched the lady close the door but it remained slightly ajar. Just enough for Nora's ears to pick up bits and pieces of odd conversations.

"I thought we said it had to be clean?" Clare said to Hayden.

"What are you talking about?"

"Livia Murd," Clare said. "It's all over the news, Hayden."

"I haven't even gotten to her yet."

Nora reached out and took the file once more. Every time she heard the name, her mind prickled. As if she was forgetting something. Who was Livia Murd?

"Her whole family," Clare said. "In their family home. Her kids, her husband."

"I've been here," Hayden said. "Nora and I were just going over the file."

Suddenly, Nora's head snapped up.

Livia Murd.

With a loud gasp, she hopped off the table and ran out into the halls. Hayden and Clare stilled as Nora skidded to a stop in front of them.

"Livia Murd," she said, slightly out of breath. "I know her."

"What?" Clare blinked in surprise.

"Well, I don't know her. Like not personally. But I know where I heard her name before."

"Where?" Hayden arched a brow.

"Kiara," Nora said. "She came to me yesterday with her laptop. She needed some help transferring files over and I accidentally opened one of them."

"Livia Murd's file was on Kiara's laptop?" Clare asked.

"Yes," Nora nodded. "I was wondering why the name was so familiar. I kept thinking and thinking."

Clare slowly paled. Hayden watched her as Nora quieted down and observed the situation.

"Is everything okay..." Nora looked to Clare and then to Hayden.

"We need to call Tobias and Posey," Clare shook her head.  

How do you think Killian will react? 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24 2 29
Horror. Vampires. Love. Death
158K 7.2K 27
"You're a killer, a monster. There is no 'master' for you. Everyone that loved you is dead. Because of you! Don't flatter yourself. No one will ever...
141K 4.2K 41
I should be living my life like every second was my last, Not wishing it was, But when I'm with her, I forget the difference.
86 0 197
:)))))