The Queerest [🗸]

By -hayle-

Being queer isn't the easiest shit. Being queer and living in small town South Dakota is by far the most diff... More

f a c e c l a i m s
my fist and ryder's jaw
so i'm antisocial as fuck
yin, yang, and weird shit
concealer 'n bruises
dancing is thoroughly impossible
my hatred for wednesdays
so detention sucks ass
soren choi, detention, and shitty elevators
dahlias 'n gender roles
skating keeps my heart beating
my craigslist breakfast club
so i'm obsessed with petrichor
art, hozier, and self portraits
spartans 'n punches
glitter works for evelyn perez
my first dance lesson with riya khatri
so it's ezra choi's birthday
parties, rings, and almosts
injuries 'n injustices
bosom buddies make an iconic duo
my tipping point
so there's a dumb list
thoughts, realizations, and coming outs
names n' fruity shit
evelyn perez is everything and more
my day with riya khatri
so damien cortez is art
macky's, hangouts, and breakfasts
jeans 'n justice
evelyn perez is music
my girlfriend and my queer-ass family
so damien cortez is my muse
tia gina, arguments, and peace
me 'n fruit
infinity and more

epilogue n extras

3.2K 172 2K
By -hayle-

asjhj i'm so excited

also pls list any ideas for more extras/bonuses bc i will consider them !!

***

***

accounts/ aesthetics

* * *

***

epilogue

one year later

We have a reunion spot.

Its a stretch of beach, really fucking beautiful, blue enough to carry a glossy sheen beneath the sunlight. Since we're spread about different states, this one beach is the one constant place to always return to.

I mean, it's fucking beautiful. The type of place where you could wear a cottage core-esque dress and a flower crown as you ran along the sand because, really, that's all you need in life.

So, it's an escape.

A beautiful, salty scented, wide expanse of beach escape.

Evelyn and Riya have been long distance for a year, an entire twelve months. But they own it. They always have each other, love each other so fiercely that you can feel the power residing beneath their bond.

Rock solid, that's what they are.

Soren and Damien aren't much different. They're both studying different subjects. Damien's diving into political science and law, Soren's into digital and graphic design, not to mention photography and every other type of art you could conjure.

And even though it's been obvious since about forever, they're in love. It's the type of love that pulls you in and swings you around until you're all in it, no way to escape how fast and how far you're falling.

The type of love where you work hard because shit isn't always a dreamboat, but you know that it's enough for you because that's what it means to love. It means to give if your all and feel like you're enough as you are.

It makes me think of Liyah and her girlfriend, Maddy Wilson. They met during their freshman year at college. They were roommates— utterly script-worthy— and well, the way Liyah explains it is that her heart pounds so fucking hard around Maddy, has since she met her.

But that was just the first glance, you know? The meet-cute. Simple, not utterly surprising. They'd met at the dorms and then they eventually fell. So fucking hard. As in, you could cue the Hayley Kiyoko and King Princess blasting from the speakers because that was them.

When Riya introduced the rest of us Aspen High Queers to her skating trio, we clicked. So, I'm essentially filled on about everything occurring, every update. Like Andre and Skyler.

Now, fuck, that's a type of love. Skyler was themself, utterly and completely themself and had known Andre since they were in middle school. Naturally, Riya claims she saw it coming from a mile away. Either way, they're queer and in love, and when all the queers get together at the skating rink, the sparkle in Andre's eyes as he talks to his partner is literally heart-wrenching.

My feet wade into the ocean, shirt a pale blue, shorts swaying with the breeze. I exhale, my lips twitching as I hear all the sounds around me, the ocean inhaling and exhaling. It's a beautiful melody.

"Hey," and then arms are swung around me as I turn around to meet forest eyes and a lopsided grin.

"Toni," I exhale, and I'm laughing, just because he's here and I love him. And loving someone is a pretty feeling to have.

"Blue," he echoes my tone, swings his arms around my neck, mine slung around his waist. And I want to say it. But I'm not sure how to. His smile is so wide and genuine and pretty, his cerulean hair in curls.

Before I can say anything else, though, I'm tackled.

At least, someone deadass pounces onto me. But it's more than one, possibly two, possibly three. I'm laughing. 

I'm nineteen today.

"Happy birthday," and I'm not sure who's saying it. Maybe it's my boyfriend of exactly a year or the brown skinned bisexual or the Latina lesbian or the chaotic gay or the intellectual-ass bi. Because they're all here.

I recognize their laughter, the flashes of their smiles. Damien's holding a huge-ass cake and a wider grin, Soren's bouncing from foot to foot in bright red shorts, Riya's arms are still slung around my neck and Evelyn's soft laugh is carrying throughout the wind.

Antonio sets up a little table, and everyone sort of shifts in. There are camping chairs in reds and blues and greens, and everyone pulls theirs up to the quaint little setup in the center. At some point, Toni's hand finds mine and Riya places candles on the ice-cream cake that sits in the middle of the table.

She places about nine, sending me an apologetic look when she's done. "So, I deadass couldn't find any more candles, like, they ran out—"

"—because she procrastinated," Evelyn says, nodding a head of curls that stops just above her shoulder  as her girlfriend kicks her foot from where she's standing.

"—because I might've procrastinated," she says once more, shrugging the sleeves of her oversized t-shirt that stops just above her bellybutton. "Anyway, you're nine now!"

"Happy ninth birthday!" Soren cheers from across the table, legs strung onto Damien's lap, and I genuinely wonder how he managed to accomplish that when they're on two separate chairs.

"Does it feel any different that eight?" Damien asks, eyes bright as I exhale an incredulous laugh.

So, we laugh. Evelyn managed to get her hands on some quaint little table cloth with pretty designs around the corner, so as Soren cuts the slices of cake and places them on plates that are even quainter, I set my plate back on the cloth.

"Guys," I say, head shaking, "I'm literally crying. I feel like I'm in a little cottage in the woods somewhere. I love you."

Damien's lips twitch as his head juts over to Antonio who is seated next to me, foot nudging mine while the warmth of his hands in my own takes over. "Antonio's idea."

Because, Antonio.

Because he remembers every little thing I ever tell him, even the useless shit. Because he's my boyfriend. Because he never forgets shit when it comes to me. Because he's him, and I have so fucking much to say to him that my words don't come and I stare at him instead.

Everyone gets back to eating, at some point leaving the table to screw around by the ocean. They're laughing, and Soren is finding a song from his playlist, one hand slung around Damien's waist, the other scrolling through his phone. Evelyn is sitting at the edge of the beach, swearing as Riya splashes her from the depths of the ocean.

My gaze returns to Antonio who's staring at me too, lips pulled into that tilted grin and fuck is he beautiful.

I slide my hands on either side of his face, and I murmur a silent question, and he nods, and then he's pressing his lips against mine.

This isn't the first time we've kissed. Not the second time, not the third. But every time it feels nice and calming and right. We have a rhythm and easily fall into it. 

So, when I pull away, I decide to say it, the words.

"I love you, Antonio."

There, there it is.

It's so simple. If asked, I could go on a long spiel about how I've fallen in love with him more and more as time passed, or how his smile deserves an award, or how I'm in love with color of his eyes and the shine to his piercings and everything.

But he knows.

It's been a year, after all.

So, really, it shouldn't take me aback when he responds, voice soft, gaze unflinching, "I love you, Blue." He searches my eyes and I nod.

Then, he's leaning forward, kissing me once more before pulling away.  His lips twitch. "Happy birthday. You're nineteen," his hand rests on his chest, "they grow up so quick," and I'm cackling and he laughs too.

And before I can respond, he's tugging me to my feet, pulling me toward the others where the ocean is licking at their feet and the mood is more mild but no less happy. Evelyn and Riya share a drink, Damien's head rests on Soren's lap as his eyes take in the sky.

Antonio lowers us somewhere in the middle of our friends, and we laugh and talk and he makes his usual shit jokes and my lips won't stop curving into a grin.

Everyone seems to scream in liberation, at the ocean, at each other. Almost stating that yes, we're fucking here. Yes, we love each other. Yes, we've grown and moved and  shifted. But we're still those kids we were one year ago.

And I think about how we aren't simple. Never have been. We're nuanced, tragic people with massive dreams and soft smiles. We're people that have seen shit and experienced shit and fought for better shit.

In high school, we were once called the unfuckables because our very existence was a challenge. That feels like forever ago. 

But fuck, no matter how many miles and years placed between us, we're still us. We're still the queerest.

And the future belongs to us.

***

omg

so we're here,, we did it joe !!

i love these characters in case u haven't noticed n they turned out even more amazing than i'd initially planned. i think i fell in love with them bc i got emotionally attached PLS

i did it !! this is it !! this is the queerest !!

also even though u probably already know,, i adore all of you.

you being here, reading, commenting, correcting my errors (bc i don't edit asjdhj </3) means the world to me

- hayle ❤

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.3K 2.9K 12
**This is an Out of My Control spin off!! If you haven't read OoMC, you might not understand everything that goes on! I highly recommend reading that...
830K 37.2K 36
-KIND OF MATURE- "I wouldn't fuck you if you paid me." Well, at least my question is answered. He can get more punchable. We glare at each other, I...
318 25 22
Vinny is a quiet kid. His dad thomas is a lawyer , his mom Alice is a nurse and his twin brother Xavier well.. he's a real asshole. Vinny's parents h...
2.6K 205 17
"When something terrible happens to someone, everyone feels sorry for you at first, they take your hand and cry fake tears and say how 'special' you...