Red Whispers || Wanda Maximof...

By andshesweird

"You didn't see that coming." Now it's my turn to tilt my head. What's she getting at? "My brother used to s... More

Chapter 1||Red Eyes
Chapter 2 || Didn't See That Coming
Chapter 3 || That's My Kid Sister
Chapter 4 || Sorry For Choking You
Chapter 5 || Memories
Chapter 6 || The Mind Stone
Chapter 7 || I Just Feel You
Chapter 8 || Sparring
Chapter 9 || Rumlow
Chapter 10 || We're A Family
Chapter 11 || Control
Chapter 12 || Mission
Chapter 13 || Should I Be Scared?
Chapter 14 || Shut Up
Chapter 15 || Vision
Chapter 16 || Too Far
Chapter 17 || Yes I Did
Chapter 18 || Hold Your Hand
Chapter 19 || Could've Fooled Me
Chapter 20 || Whatever It Takes
Chapter 21 || Ready To Comply
Chapter 22 || Who The Hell...
Chapter 23 || I Was Told
Chapter 24 || Lucid
Chapter 25 || You're Awake
Chapter 26 || If She Chooses You
Chapter 27 || Telepathy Sucks
Chapter 28 || The Decision
Chapter 29 || The Song
Chapter 30 || You Chose Her
Chapter 31 || Date Night
Chapter 32 || This Isn't You Talking
Chapter 33 || Happy
Chapter 35 || BARF
Chapter 36 || The Sokovia Accords
Chapter 37 || Charlie Spencer
Chapter 38 || Earn It
Chapter 39 || Vienna
Chapter 40 || Angry Sokovian Girlfriend
Chapter 41 || Paprikash
Chapter 42 || Game On
Chapter 43 || Hands Off
Chapter 44 || To The Raft
Chapter 45 || Beginning of The End
Book 2 || Blue Inferno

Chapter 34 || Lagos

12.3K 340 297
By andshesweird

Your POV

"Lagos? What's in Lagos?"

After my question, Steve pulls up an image of a large building.

"The IFID Headquarters, aka, the Institute for Infectious Diseases. We have reasonable suspicions that Rumlow is headed there. There's a bioweapon inside that we think he's trying to get his hands on. We're deploying a team to head over there. We see Rumlow, we take him down."

I can feel peoples' eyes on me, clearly concerned for my reaction to his name but I just keep the most nonchalant expression pasted onto me.

"So who's going?" Nat says and Steve lists the names. Himself, Sam, Nat, Wanda, "-and Y/N. If you think you can handle it."

Ignoring the concerned glance from Wanda, I only pull the corner of my mouth upwards into a sly smirk, leaning onto my clasped hands on the table in front of me.

"That's not even a question. I'm a Stark, remember? We can take anything on. No fear," My eyes shoot over to my brother who just nods at me, crossing his arms over his chest in acceptance of my response.

"Great, you got a little team. Stick to the mission, find Rumlow, try to be discrete."

Tony leaves with the others not joining and Steve smiles at us.

"Alright then. Avengers!"

Nat smirks, knowing that this is Steve's favorite thing to say in the world, we know it makes him feel proud and strong.

"...Assemble."

He leads us out of the room to suit up, Nat slinging an arm over my shoulder.

"Do me a favor?"

Looking up at her, she focuses on my eyes for a moment, lips curling towards the sky briefly before she notices Wanda walking over, then clears her throat, dropping her hand from my shoulder.

"Don't try and get yourself killed this time?"

Chuckling, I shake my head and nudge her, "Please. I'd miss me too much."

With a roll of her eyes, she catches up to Sam and Steve, leaving Wanda and I to walk to the jet alone.

"You sure you can actually do this? After last night?"

"Wanda, if I wasn't sure, don't you think I would tell you?"

I meet her gaze, only to see that she's staring at me with a look of distrust, an eyebrow raised in slight amusement.

"No. You wouldn't tell me."

My arm wraps around her shoulders, pulling her in so I can kiss the temple on the side of her head.

"You know me so well Red Eyes."

* * *

We're seated in a little coffee shop, Wanda across from me at the table, Nat all the way to our left at a table beside the window.

Steve comes in over comms, "Alright, what do you see?"

Wanda stirs sugar into her coffee, sipping as she turns to look out the window in her "incognito" baseball cap. It's my hat, first of all. Plus I'll give it to her, she looks hot as hell. I pretend to be reading the paper, only stealing a slight glance outside to follow Wanda's gaze as she speaks.

"Standard beat cops. Small station. Quiet street...It's a good target."

She turns back to meet my eyes, both of us feeling a disturbing quiet chilling our bones. Something isn't right about this mission.

"There's an ATM on the south corner, which means?"

I respond now to Steve, pretending to be talking to Wanda as I do so, "cameras."

"Both cross streets are one-way," he leads again, leavin Wanda to finish, "so compromised escape routes."

We both look down at the newspapers now, seeing Rumlow in his Crossbones mask plastered on the front page.

"Means our guy doesn't care about being seen, he isn't afraid to make a mess on the way out."

I breathe out a sigh before taking a sip from my coffee, "so much for being discrete."

Wanda smiles smally before Steve speaks up again, "You see that Range Rover halfway up the block?"

Wanda steals a peek, "The red one? It's cute."

Her accent sounds so attractive right now, have we established that yet?

"It's also bullet proof, which means private security, which means more guns, which means more headaches for somebody, probably us."

I snap my eyes to Nat, warning her to drop the attitude with Wanda. I can feel the tension from here seeping out of her pours. I go to speak but Wanda beats me to it.

"You guys know I can move things with my mind, right?"

My face lights up at that, wanting to laugh but I keep it suppressed for now. Especially since Natasha's response is anything but impressed.

"Looking over your shoulder needs to become second nature."

Her eyes are trained on me, eyebrow raised in a bounce back manner, but I don't stand for it. I smirk and look back at the newspaper.

"Anybody ever tell you you're a little paranoid?" I quirk an eyebrow up now after I say that and notice Nat smiling as she looks down at her own paper.

"Not to my face. Why? Did you hear something?"

I chuckle until I feel Wanda kick my leg, making me wince and look up at her with confusion. She just narrows her gaze and sips her coffee, eyes still resting on me, making me grow more uncomfortable the longer she looks at me like that. It's her intimidation tactic, and in all true honesty? It works. Consider me intimidated.

"Eyes on target folks. This is the best lead we've had on Rumlow in a while, I don't wanna lose him."

I can hear Sam in comms laugh at Steve, "If he sees us coming, that won't be a problem. He kind of hates us."

We hear honking outside, and Steve tells Sam to tag a garbage truck. He uses Redwing's X-Ray view and notifies that the driver's armed and it's at max weight.

"It's a battering ram," Nat and I both say in unison.

Wanda picks up on the sudden change of pace as Steve mutters, "go now."

She looks at me, then says, "What?" into comms.

"He's not hitting the police," Steve says and I grab Wanda's hand, tugging her outside.

We run and I superspeed us to the truck, only to see the driver dive out and the truck to ram into the entrance, breaking any barrier in front.

Big yellow trucks follow suit, pulling in. The second I see Hydra agents jump out I grab Wanda and speed us behind a wall, my body shielding her as bullets start to fly. I press her up against the concrete wall, closing my eyes to await impact as my back faces outwards, my entire frame covering her small one.

When nothing hits me I turn to look at the scene unravel. Agents shoot some kind of gas bombs into the windows of the IFID Headquarters before marching their way inside. Steve makes his way in, using his shield to protect himself as he fights agents off.

"Body armor, AR-15s. I make 7 hostiles," Steve says and I see Sam landing to attack others. Wanda and I look at one another before I pull her into a kiss.

"Don't get killed," she says and I nod, "same to you."

We fly upwards and head to the scene ourselves.

"I make 5," Sam says.

Wanda lands in front of me, using her powers to trap a guy in place.

"Y/N," she says and tosses him my way. I superspeed over to him and close-line him so he launches forward and knocks out.

"Four," I say.

"Rumlow's on the third floor!" Sam shouts to all of us. Steve approaches and points at Wanda.

"Wanda, just like we practiced."

She looks at the building, "What about the gas?"

"Get it out," He says and Wanda kicks into gear, hands glowing with energy as she lifts Steve and glides him into the building.

Wanda and I work together to pull the gas out, swirling it upwards to the sky, away from any civilians. Sam protects our backs from any agents shooting and we keep pulling the gas out.

"Rumlow has a biological weapon," Steve says into comms.

"I'm on it," Nat responds. I can hear agents grunting and crying out in pain on her end, only making me smirk in pride.

"Thatta girl, Romanoff."

I hear her starting to struggle, "Nat? What's going on?"

Nothing. All I hear is her fighting, then Rumlow shouting, "I don't work like that no more!" Then a clanging noise.

"Nat! Do you copy?" I try again.

Wanda turns to me, "Just go. Go get her."

I nod and start to run to where Nat is. I use my watch to locate her and see a truck. I hear people being beat up. I super speed over and rip the back door off just as an explosion goes off.

I see Nat briefly and grab her, speeding us away as quickly as I can but the blast still hits us, sending us launching a few feet until we hit the ground.

Groaning, I roll over onto my back and sigh, "thought we said no getting ourselves killed?"

She chuckles and stands, reaching a hand to pull me to my feet.

"I told you not to. Never said anything about me. Thanks for saving my ass though. Almost got barbecued." She pats my arm and winks before we hear Steve saying that Rumlow's in an AFV heading north.

"Let's go," I say and reach my hand out.

She accepts and I grab her, then speed us off to follow Rumlow. Nat goes off alone, grabbing a motorcycle to follow the agents running off.

Sam says they're splitting up, to which Natasha claims two on the left and I claim two on the right.

"Where's Wanda?" I question as I chase the goons down.

"Right behind you," I turn my head and tilt it up to see her flying towards me. I smile and reach my hand, allowing her to grab it so I can speed us to the guys.

"They ditched their gear. It's a shell game now. One of them has the payload," Steve announces. I hear an explosion and slow us down to see Steve shieldless, Rumlow attacking him. Seeing Rumlow this close again makes my nerves pick up and my heart race in fear. Wanda must notice because she squeezes my hand, "I got this. You find the weapon."

I breathe heavily for a few moments before she grabs me, pressing our heads together. I feel a warmth and safety fill my body, I feel her relaxing me. I look at her face that is gentle and kind, "go."

Nodding, I jet off to find the other agents.

"Hiya fellas," I say, stopping them in their tracks. They raise their guns but I just smile smugly, "you're too predictable."

I superspeed to them, everything moving in slow motion around me. I twist their bodies so they're facing each other and when I get back to my original spot and time seems to speed up again, they both shoot each other in the face.

Smiling proudly, I nearly skip over to them, "too easy."

I reach into their pockets and duffle bags but find nothing.

"They don't have it."

"Same here," Sam says back.

I go back to where Wanda and Steve are, hearing that Nat got the bio weapon and hear Rumlow speaking to Steve about Bucky.

His eyes flicker over to me, where they light up.

"Well, well. Look who it is."

I gulp and clench my fists at the sight of his face.

"You know she knew you," he continues on, eyes landing on Wanda who stands defensively. Her head tilts slightly and Steve has him by the throat.

"Your girl, your home, your Y/N."

I can feel that same voice in my head, the anger piling up again being this close to Rumlow but I choke it down as Steve grunts, "What did you say?"

"Bucky remembered you too, Steve. Both of them. I was there for both. She got all weepy for the witch and he got all whiny about you. You know, until we put their brains back in the blender."

Grunting, blue mist surging from my fists I walk forward but Wanda grabs me. I look over at her and see her own eyes now at a raging scarlet.

"Bucky though. He wanted you to know something. He said to me... 'Please tell Rogers...

when you gotta go you gotta go'...and you're coming with me."

My eyes snap down as his hand moves, clicking an explosive device.

"NO!" I shriek but once it goes off it's contained in this ball around him, suppressed by a circular red forcefield. Steve and I both snap our attention to a very angry Wanda. Rumlow screams as civilians cry in fear at what they're seeing.

I stare at Wanda, noticing her face contorting into worry as her arms start to shake trying to hold him. She grunts as she lifts Rumlow up, but loses control, him flying through the side of the building, the entire thing starting to light up until it destroys nearly 10 floors. People around us scream and run while Steve and I watch the building in shock.

Wanda watches in horror when she sees what she has done, her hand shakily moving to cover her mouth. I walk over and take her into my arms, "It's okay. It's okay."

"Sam...we need...Fire and rescue on the south side of the building."

Wanda shakes in my arms, looking all around at people in pain, burned or injured greatly.

"Y/N, we gotta get up there," Steve says. I look at Wanda and then back at Steve. My eyes land on the burning building, hearing innocent people cry in pain. I nod and release my hold on Wanda, taking one last look at her terrified body language before I follow Steve in to get as many people as we can out.

This didn't end well.

___

A/N: I think we all know what's going down soon :)

Just remember: I love you.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62.1K 1.9K 21
"You're a sly one." he says, clutching his side. I hold my arms up with a shrug. "I am the daughter of a trickster after all." "Mhm, I can see why my...
44K 1.2K 39
Just because I carry it so well doesn't mean it's not hard. I don't get to hide my bad side just so that she will stay. It's not how this world works...
9.1K 386 28
Y/n is part of the avengers, but her whole world changes when she is sent away for special training with the infamous Scarlet Witch. She focuses on t...
70.8K 2.2K 15
"What happened?" Nat's voice was so low Wanda could hardly hear what she was saying. "Why did you do that to me? Ghost me, no clarity, not a word?" s...