Away with the Fairies

By SilviaKrpatova

☆ONC 2021 Honourable Mention and Shortlister☆ ☆One of Round Two Top Five Winners☆ ☆Multiple times featured☆ ☆... More

Author's note
*°•○Part One○•°*
*°•○Part Two○•°*
*°•○Part Three○•°*
*°•○Part Four○•°*
*°•○Part Five○•°*
*°•○Part Six○•°*
*°•○Part Seven○•°*
*°•○Part Eight○•°*
*°•○Part Nine○•°*
*°•○Part Ten○•°*
*°•○Part Eleven○•°*
*°•○Part Twelve○•°*
*°•○Part Thirteen○•°*
*°•○Part Fourteen○•°*
*°•○Part Fifteen○•°*
*°•○Part Sixteen○•°*
*°•○Part Seventeen○•°*
*°•○Part Nineteen○•°*
And in the end...

*°•○Part Eighteen○•°*

97 25 168
By SilviaKrpatova

The snow kept falling gently all night and when the group of travellers woke up in the morning, both the plain and the lake were buried under a new layer of white fluff, firm ground and frozen water dangerously indistinguishable. However, they did not have to wait for too long before it stopped snowing suddenly, and the birds and their hungry and cold passengers could continue on their journey above the perfectly white flatlands towards the seashore.

It was dark when they soared down the tall cliffs, and found their way towards the Wild Swans' cave, where the rest of the creatures who they had freed from the Snow Queen's icy prison were awaiting their arrival.

The tiny Mushroom Elves had created a comfortable refuge here with their magic-- the large cavern was dry, warm and bright thanks to several small fires burning in well-chosen spots, and there was enough room to sleep and food to eat for everyone.

"What do you want to do next, Princess?" one of the swallows asked Rosalind after dinner, when she, Hans, Louise, all the birds who had carried them from the Snow Queen's castle, and even Blue-- who was not much help as he still remembered nothing, but trailed after Rosalind wherever she moved-- sat around one of the fires to plan the next part of their voyage.

Rosalind looked thoughtfully around the large room, her gaze skipping from one sleeping creature to another.

"I was going to beg you to take us across the sea because it will be days before the Wilds Swans return to this coast. We can not wait here until the next night of the full moon, it would be too late... " The fairy glanced from Blue, hanging on her every word, to Hans, who pretended not to hear her at all. The Human Boy would be back in Odense, alone, by then, and he didn't want to be reminded about it.

"Very well. Let us rest tomorrow, Princess. Then, if the weather is clement enough, we will take you and your three friends home. We will leave the rest of them here," the swallow said, indicating the sleeping elves and animals with its gracious black wing, "to wait for the swans. They are safe and comfortable enough..."

"Yes, it seems like the best thing we can do. Thank you all. We could never do this without your help," Rosalind said, and the three friends and Blue stood up and walked to the corner of the cavern where the Mushroom Elves had prepared their place to sleep.

"You remind me of someone, Princess Rosalind... but it can't be... she could do magic... and her dress... the colour..." Blue muttered as he laid down next to Rosalind and pulled a blanket over her shoulders.

Hans and Louise exchanged a pained look in the semi-darkness that filled the cave after most fires had been banked for the night, as the two of them settled down to sleep nearby, on a nest of blankets spread thickly on the cool, rocky floor.

"Hans, I decided. I will come back home with you," Louise whispered the moment she was sure that Rosalind and Blue were asleep and could not hear her.

"No, you won't, you must stay here, you know that as well as I do!" Hans whispered back decisively, not leaving space for argument.

"Then... stay here with me..." Louise begged, shifting closer to him. She stared in his eyes through the tenebrosity filled with soft breathing of all the resting creatures and the low crackling and hissing of the only fire left burning for a long moment, imploringly, then put the palm of her hand on his cheek. How was she to ever part from him...

Hans didn't want anything more than to stay with her. But he knew that it was impossible. "Louise... " he said finally, leaning into her caress and closing his eyes, "you heard Berenice. If I don't leave this place, Rosalind will never get her magic back, even if Blue remembers her on time. I... we can't do that to her. And there are our parents to think about, too..."

The girl nodded, feeling worried for their parents as well. At least they would have Hans to help them... she mused as the sleep took her, leaving Hans alone to observe her sleeping face while he held her hand pressed to his cheek, covered by his own, for a long time, before he followed her to the land of dreams.

The following day, they all tried to rest as much as they could in preparation for their upcoming journey across the sea. Yet, the weather had other plans-- it kept snowing heavily for several days and the three friends and all the other creatures remained trapped within the cave, feeling anxious because they were running out of time, and even food.

With the heavy snowfall and frost reigning outside, all the fare that the Mushroom Elves could produce with their magic were raw chestnuts, which they had to roast for a long time over their fires before eating them, and sloes, so sour that they were setting their teeth on ends.

The travellers lost count of the days they spent waiting in the cave without a proper sight of daylight, but, finally, one morning, the sun managed to disperse the heavy, snow-filled clouds. Rosalind, Louise, Hans, and Blue took their leave quickly from the other inhabitants of the cave and rushed outside. Here, each of them mounted one of the waiting swallows.

It would not be an easy or short journey, the birds reminded them one last time. They could not fly directly across the sea like the Wild Swans had, because they would not be able to reach the swans' island before the nightfall, and they needed to rest more often than the larger birds. So, the swallows decided to follow the safer but longer route along the coastline.

"Rosalind, could we fly to the top of the cliffs first? I was thinking... You said that we should try to stop the Snow Queen, or at least slow her down. I might have an idea how to do that," Louise said before they took flight.

Rosalind and Hans exchanged puzzled looks, but the Rose Fairy asked the birds to carry them to the top of the cliffs nonetheless. There, Louise dismounted her swallow. Producing the tinderbox from her pouch, she opened it, and they all watched the small, woodless fire burn directly on the snow for a while before the black dog appeared.

"Your last wish, Mistress," he said, materializing out of nowhere and bowing to Louise.

The girl approached him and stroked his fluffy head. "I've been thinking about your powers. They seem to be... connected to this fire... Could you, somehow, melt the snow? Here, and in the whole Terra Sonalis?"

The dog replied after a while of thoughtful silence, during which he seemed to be listening to a voice only he could hear, "Berenice sends her regards, Mistress, and yes, I may do that. It won't stop the Snow Queen forever, but it will weaken and slow her down a great deal."

Louise thanked and curtseyed to the dog, and leaving the tinderbox lying on the snow, she mounted her swallow again. Then they all watched in awe as the small wooden case disappeared in a puff of smoke and all the snow and ice melted in the black dog's wake as he ran across the vast plain, away from them.

"Louise, that was a great idea," Hans muttered, looking at his friend admiringly.

"Really, I have never thought of anything like this," Rosalind said, taking her winter coat off and securing it around her waist. It was suddenly so much warmer.

"The dress... Blue whispered, staring at Rosalind's azure gown unhappily. "I remember a ruby red dress..."

The friends swapped despairing looks as Rosalind asked the swallows, "Well, shall we go?"

"Wait, Princess!" a strange voice reached them unexpectedly from the distant trees.

They all turned towards it and watched a large group of Snow Goblins flying towards them, their bat-like wings shimmering blindingly in the bright sunshine.

"Be careful, Princess," her swallow warned, apparently not trusting the bluish creatures.

"You will never make it to the other side on the swallows; it's too far. We can help you... if you promise to take us back with you, and permit us to live in your realm again."

"But I did not send you away. We apologize for our ancestors," Rosalind said, looking at Blue who nodded in agreement, not really understanding what was happening but getting the hint when Hans nudged his foot, not very gently, with his. "We would be happy if any of you, who want to come back to live in Terra Sonalis, would come back with us now."

"Thank you, Princess. In that case, let us help you." The Snow Goblin waved towards another group of his friends who, as on cue, pulled out a large shiny sledge from behind the trees. "Our flying sledge will take you back as fast and safely as the Wild Swans."

Not quite believing their luck, the four travellers hopped off the birds and all of them, the swallows and at least a dozen of Snow Goblins included, settled comfortably on the sledge made of glass and mirrors.

They flew the entire day and night above the surprisingly tranquil sea and reached the butterfly camp, now free from the protective magic as summer seemed to have returned everywhere, early the next morning.

The swans left immediately after Rosalind told them about the creatures awaiting them in their cave, even as the very helpful and friendly Snow Goblins scattered among the tents to help the butterflies and moths with their patients, and Blue's parents welcomed back their lost son.

Unfortunately, he did not seem to remember them or his sister, either.

"What shall we do with him, Rosalind?" Celeste asked the desperate Rose Fairy as she pulled her, Hans, Louise, and Roslav to the side while her parents kept Blue busy.

"I really don't know. But we only have a handful of days left before..." the fairy said, looking at Hans, who was staring at Celeste and Roslav in surprise. The two were holding hands...

"I think you should try the memory spell, Celeste. Then, whether it's successful or not, we will continue our journey towards the lake," Louise said practically, taking Hans' hand in hers to direct his attention to their conversation.

"That's the best idea," Orangebeak chirped, as he and the other two birds landed nearby, and Rosalind's two elves hopped off his back.

After Rosalind let everyone embrace her quickly, Celeste tried the memory spell on her brother. It did work, but not entirely. Blue recalled his parents and sister, the butterflies and moths in the camp, and even his magic, but not Rosalind.

However, the following morning, he insisted on leaving the camp with her, Hans, and Louise. And so did Roslav and Celeste.

Saying their goodbyes again and promising to return soon, they left the butterflies in their camp to wait for the swans' return and set off one more time, for what was to be the last part of their long voyage.

Hans and Louise mounted Orangebeak and took flight first, followed by Rosalind and Blue on Brownie. Then it was the turn of Roza and Rolo carried by Skylar and, in the end, Roslav and Celeste's on Bianca, Roslav's crow, who soon overtook the other three birds. They followed the large black bird in the direction of Captain Garrett's lake, their final destination.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 111 30
This is a first and foremost Omegaverse BL novel but it includes Wizards, Magic, Dungeons, and Monsters. ~ It was said that if you're still a virgin...
20 0 5
What if Cinderella were a mechanic? What if Snow-White were ugly? What if Rapunzel ran away on her own and became a magician? What if The Little Merm...
72 3 18
What if all the myths are real? Monsters, witches, faeries. Well NEWSFLASH! They are. And I've been thrown into the deep end. Before I was a normal g...
1.8K 42 9
Heather Westergaurd was a true princess. She was beautiful, kind, and ever gentle, for these where the values her father taught her to be, at least i...