Journey of the Heart (Camila...

By BefallenChains

You are Alexandra McKenzie. The sole heir to a multi-billion dollar enterprise. You're the typical privileged... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter 8
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Author's Note *Not an update*
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty-Six:
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four

Chapter Twenty

3.5K 132 83
By BefallenChains

A/N: As promised. Here's another chapter. I felt bad for not updating soon enough so this for you guys. :D Hope you enjoy! 

Like always, share your thoughts through comments, votes, or anything else. 

Have a nice day! You're loved, strong and worth it ! 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Camila's POV:

You have got to be kidding me?! 

She was going to be on tour with us. The WHOLE entire tour. 

I was just about to go on stage when I heard Ally squeal Alex's name. I stayed out of sight and listened in as Liam explained the situation. I couldn't beliebe what I was hearing. Seriously. Why was she everywhere I turned?

Don't get me wrong. I was reasonable. 

I expected her to make a couple of appearance during the tour. According to everything pop culture, Dinah brought up the fact that Alex and Harry were linked together for a long time so it was a very good chance she would come to all of the Los Angeles concerts. It was even more evident that she would come to some of the concerts when the media had covered their blossoming relationship as of recently. They were coined the new 'it' couple. 

Not that I cared. Cause I didn't. I was simply annoyed.

I got over the fact that she was in every single entertainment news magazine. She was the main topic of every single talk show and radio stations. She was even the top trending worldwide. I understood why. I mean, she did just come back from a miracle. People thought she was actually dead. She was in a month coma. And to top it off, she co-founded one of the most talked about foundations of the year. 

Beside the media, I even got over the fact that she was invading my personal life. Heck. My mom seemed to take a personal interest in the heiress as well. She even went to the extent of befriending Charlie while visiting the hospital, which I could understand. They had various similiarity when it came to those they cared about. 

Aside from my mom's personal interest, my subconscious seemed to take an interest of the heiress as well. Ever since I met her at the charity event she was all I thought about in my sleep and occupied my curious mind outside of my slumber. I didn't know why and that was what really frustrated me.

She had a hold on me and I didn't know where it was coming from. 

I was pulled away from my thoughts when the door opened to our dressing room. I didn't pay much attention to whoever entered because I thought it was one of the girls or the moms coming in to grab something. Boy was I wrong.

"Oh, sorry, I thought this was the boys' dressing room," her melodious voice sounded through my ears, bringing my attention off of my book and towards the entrance of our dressing room. 

Her long slender body was dressed in simple casual wear but still looked stunning. Her long dark hair was combed off to the side of one of her shoulders. Her simple makeup brought out her natural and gorgeous beauty. The simple black eyeliner bringing attention to those bright amber eyes. She was beautiful... Wait. What was I doing?

"Uhm, it's the door across the hall," I breathed, hoping she didn't notice that I was totally and completely checking her out. 

"Thanks," she shyly smiled before turning to leave.

"My name's-" I nearly shouted. "Sorry," I coughed and brought my voice down to normal level. "Hi, my name is Camila." 

I took the leap and finally introduced myself, lending out my hand for her to shake.

She stared down at me for a bit. Hesitation seemed to be clouding her thought as the air seemed to get denser. Finally, she ended the tension and brought her hand into mine. Immediately once her fingers gingerly wrapped around mine I felt that warm feeling and buzzing sensation throughout my entire body. I felt so warm through just that one touch and i didn't want to let go.

"I know," she broke the trance. Her famous smirk placed upon her face. "I'm Alex McKenzie." 

"I know, I smirked bac, repeating the same words as her.

I stared into those amber eyes and never realized how someone could ever get lost in eyes, until now. They were so mesmerizing.

"Oh Alex, there you are." 

We broke out of our trance and released each other's hand, not realizing that we were still hoding onto each other. We even took the extra step back.

"Hi Charlie, I was just coming to get you," she coughed as she readjusted herself. "I got a little lost," she added bashfully, sending Charlie a charming and bright smile.

"That's all right kid. Let's get you ready," Charlie smiled and lifted his arm up awaiting for Alex to walk into them, which she did without hesitation as she smiled up at Charlie. If I didn't know any better, I would think they were actually father and daughter. "Hey Camila, glad to see you and the girls again." 

"Hi Charlie, glad to see you too," I waved.

"I can't wait to see you perform. Not going to lie, I'm quite excited," Charlie laughed while Alex looked at him confused. "Oh, don't give me that look. I can be into a different genres of music."

"No, I'm just confused on how you guys know each other," Alex revealed, looking between the two of us. 

"Oh, I met her one night. We just randomly bumped into each other while I was out grabbing our dinner. Plus, they did perform for your charity event," he replied back.

Alex didn't say anything else but contemplated the answer in her thoughts.

"She also came to visit you at the hospital after you collapsed."

Damn. I was hoping he didn't mention that. 

"Oh, thanks. For that. You didn't have to," she stumbled over her words as she went through her waves of shock.

"No need to thank me. Honestly. Don't." I was ashamed to admit that I was internally battling myself that day on whether or not to go. I didn't deserve her gratitude. "I-uh. I should probably get going. The girls wanted to meet up before the meet and greets," I excused myself from the awkward situation that was building up in our conversation. 

Charlie and Alex stepped aside as I made my way towards the door. My hand gently stroked against her arm and the sparks emitted throughout my entire body. When I looked towards her, it seemed like she felt the same. Did she? 

Ugh. These feels. She definitely got me feeling some type of way. 

The girls and I enjoyed watching the boys perform during their sound check. Soon after we had to get ready for our meet and greet. I was a bit nervous to be doing the meet and greet because this would be the first interaction with our fans since everything. I was scared on how they were going to perceive me. They knew I was the main reason for the long break. 

Thankfully all my concern was for nothing. Hours of fan interaction was exactly what I needed to put myself at ease. The harmonizers were nice and understanding. They even brought words of encouragement and presents for all of us, knowing that I didn't like to be the center of attention. Plus, the girls had my back throughout everything. Whenever they felt as if I was getting too anxious or nervous about an interaction or conversation, they would come to the rescue and stir the attention away from me. I loved those girls. 

Our set for the concert was just as smooth. The only hiccup during our performance was some of the crowd members trying to grab our attention by throwing random things. Some were nice; such as stuff animals and a jar of nutella, which Lauren surprisingly caught as it soared right towards Normani. Her softball skills definitely do come in handy. Some things that were thrown at us were funny, but kind of weird. Here was to hoping that they were clean.

It was now the boys turn to take the stage and the crowd was going wild. Just before the boys went on stage as we were heading off the stage I caught a glimpse of Harry and Alex hugging at the sidelines. When my eyes laid upon the scene I couldn't help but feel a little heated at the gesture between the two supposed lovers.

"You all right there, Camz?" Lauren pulled me aside.

"Yeah, never better," I grumbled before leaving the stage and moving swiftly passed the hugging couple. Seriously? How long does it take to wish him luck? How long does your hug really need to be? 

"Woah, what's got you all seeing red?" Dinah asked as she noticed my facial feature and body language.

"What?" 

"You look like you're sending laser beams with your eyes. Who are you trying to target?" She reiterated. 

"No one. It's nothing," I stated, entering the dressing room closely behind Dinah and Ally. 

"Whatever you say girl. Just saying. You look jealous," she said before she walked off into the bathroom to take a quick shower. 

I waited until it was my turn for the shower and contemplated what Dinah had just said. Was I really jealous? Of Alex? I mean, I used to have a fangirl crush on Harry but we had become such great friends that I didn't think of actually having a romantic relationship with him. We were just too similar and I feel like we wouldn't fit. Then why was I jealous of seeing Alex with Harry? 

Was it Harry I was jealous of ??? 

The boys just wrapped up their set and the concert was completely over but we were still on an all time high as we kicked off our grand tour. The boys invited us over to their hotel room for a celebration late dinner. I wasn't too keen to it, but the girls were more than happy to accept their offer and that was where we were currently standing outside of, wondering if we should knock and just wait a couple of minutes. I mean, this was One Direction. 

"Just knock, DJ. I am sure Liam will be all too happy to see you," Lauren nudged the Polynesian. 

Dinah sent her a glare before raising her hand to knock on the door. Before she could even make contact with the door, the door swung wide open to reveal a shocked Alexandra McKenzie. 

"Hey, perfect timing girl. We were just about to knock," Dinah smiled. 

"Oh, yeah, sorry. I can't stay. I have something to attend to," Alex said as she side stepped around us. "Have fun. The boys have been preparing for the night," she called out before she turned to walk towards the elevator. 

"Wait," Lauren called. "You're not going to celebrate with us?" It came out more of a question than a statement.

"Sorry, I have business that needs to be settled before we move on to the next city," she explained, shining a smile towards us. 

I knew it wasn't a genuine smile, though. I saw her truly smile when she was Charlie. This one was one that was perfected for the cameras and the interview. That smile hid so much more.

Just like that, she disappeared behind the elevator doors and we were left, still, outside of the hallway in front One Direction's suite. Which was soon fixed once Liam appeared and allowed us inside. The boys were more than amped knowing that the party was about the begin. And it did.

For awhile I was fine with being in the room with my friends, watching from the sidelines as they danced silly and did dares here and there to make things fun. It was all innocent fun that young adults could do without getting a call from the hotel security about noise and potential damages. But soon the scene was a little too much from me and I decided to retire to our own suite. Lauren volunteered to come with, but I didn't want to ruin her fun so I told her to stay. She shouldn't have to leave just because I wasn't feeling in the mood. 

As I walking down the lonely hall, it was in the middle of the night afterall, I made a detour towards the roof. I wanted to see the night sky before I fell asleep. I wanted to feel the air as it went through my hair. I wanted to be close to Sofi once again.

I opened the door and was greeted by the cold chilled air and braced myself as I neared the edge. I was surprised to see that someone had already taken refuge on this roof as well. I figured any normal person would be fast asleep.

I neared closer and saw that it was Alex. She was deathly close to the ledge as she watched the New York life zipped through from under us. She hadn't even taken notice to me as I stepped closer and closer to her.

"Thought you would still be celebrating with the others." 

I almost didn't hear her due to the wind and the traffic. 

"I was getting tired. I was headed to bed," I replied edging closer to her, eventually nearly side by side but I was a little bit scared of heights so I didn't go as close to the edge as she was.

"Wrong turn, isn't it?" 

Something was definitely about her. I could hear it in her voice. I could see it in the way she stood. She wasn't even dressed warmly as she stood still in the night light. She was dressed in her sleepwear that consisted of a tank top that hugged her bodily curves and sweats. I was cold and I was wearing a jacket and jeans. She must have been freezing but she didn't show any sign of shivers. It was also the way she stared down at everyone beneath us. Her eyes were distant as if she was in another world. 

"I could say the same to you. I thought you had a business meeting or something," I replied.

At my reply she chuckled, still not turning her attention towards me. 

"I lied."

"Why?" I asked, not really knowing if I wanted to hear the truth or not. I just wanted to hear her.

I could tell she was hesitant to answer by the way her hands clasped hard into itself. What could she be fighting within herself so much that it was nearly turning her fists white? 

I instinctively grabbed onto one of her hands and held onto it. Her body tensed from the sudden warmth of the contact. She finally turned towards me and her eyes were brimmed with tears. 

"I shouldn't be happy," she revealed. 

She jumped down from the ledge and landed safely beside me. The proximity was so close I could feel her breath hitting my face. I could feel her warmth. I had the sudden want to feel more of her but I had no clue where it was coming from. I barely knew her for Pete's sake.

I noticed the tears had now fallen onto her tears and, just like before, my free hand raised itself and gently brushed the stray tears away. My hand staying upon her cheek.

We stayed like that for what seemed like forever. She didn't stop staring down at me and I didn't stop staring up at those amber eyes that were glistening from the night sky. Just then, I felt her lean away from my hand and slowly leaned towards my face. What was happening? Why wasn't I running away or turning away? I was glued on the spot. I was frozen. 

Right before she closed the space between us the roof door opened and out came Harry and we both stepped apart from each other. I was suddenly missing the warmth she held over me.

"Charlie said I would find you here," Harry said right before he noticed the scene before him. "Camila? What are you doing here? The girls said you were headed to bed." Confusion was evident in his face as well as something else. 

"Ye-yeah I was. I just wanted to see the night stars beforehand. I bumped into Alex here," I explained, refusing to look at the taller beauty to my left.

"Hey, here, you're going to get cold," Harry turned his attention to the heiress and wrapped his jacket over her shoulders, rubbing his arms up and down hers to bring her more warmth.

I turned away when she looked over at me. I couldn't get trapped by her eyes again. 

"I'll see you later. Good night," I stated before turning to leave. 

"Wait," she exclaimed, breaking away from Harry's embrace. 

She walked towards me and, surprisingly, brought me into our own embrace. 

"Please, don't mention this to anyone," she whispered just before she broke away. 

She then turned to Harry and motioned to leave. Right before her and Harry disappeared through the doors, she shared that same fake smile she gave us before. Practiced and perfected. This time I knew what that smile hid away. 

She was hiding the hurt inside.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.6K 358 5
Walking back to your college from a bank you get caught in an impromptu Truth or Dare session. It was innocent at first but now what was a simple dar...
238K 7.6K 23
Lauren's parents were murdered when she was just fifteen years old. At school she is the badass who stays by herself, till one day of her senior year...
55.7K 2.3K 53
It was a story of an average girl named Lauren. She graduated from college and started a job that people thought was one of the most boring jobs in t...
41.4K 1.1K 16
*(lauren/you/camila)* gxg Y/n had never understood the world's obsession with romantic relationships, no matter how hard she tried. Lover after love...