The Other Side Of The Lens

Af kjocelyn81

"That was weird, but I can't stop my heart beating ten times faster than it should be. Laying down on the bed... Mere

The Other Side Of The Lens
Prologue
01. The Infamous Trio
02. Hall Passes On The First Day
03. Alison And Alejandro Sitting In A Tree
04. Officially Meeting Mateo
05. Unknown Number
06. Let's Hangout This Weekend
07. He's Outside
08. Good Luck
09. Conversations At The Diner
10. A Thousand Thoughts
11. Brotherly Love
12. Roller Coaster Of Emotions
13. Unexpected Visits
14. Stay
16. Sweetheart
17. Butterflies
18. Alone
19. I Missed You
20. Apologies
21. My Person
22. Officially Official
23. Meeting The Parents
24. Thanksgiving With The Hernandez's
25. Catching Up
26. Spend The Night?
27. Jealousy
28. Time To Talk
29. Photoshoot
30. The "L" Word
31. Advice
32. Gifts Of Love
33. Reuben's Car
34. New Year, New Argument?
35. Morning Talks
36. Parties And Pillows
37. Marisela
38. Girls Trip...Plus Boys
39. Safe
40. When In New York
41. Can't Wait
42. Always
43. Permission
44. Drunk Mateo, Fun Mateo
45. Lovely Night
46. New Beginnings
Epilogue
Bonus Chapter: Oh Baby!

15. I Need You

7.2K 204 109
Af kjocelyn81

Opening my eyes, I'm met with cream colored walls instead of my grey ones. The sun is shining through the windows which makes the room look alive. I stop looking around when someone sighs next to me.

Veronica is sound asleep, her head on my bicep, the blanket pulled up to her nose. She looks so calm and peaceful. Her skin looks smooth as ever. Her dark wavy hair pulled up against the pillow. Her eyes are still puffy from last night. All I can think about is how beautiful this girl is.

My beautiful girl.

I slowly reach over to the nightstand trying not to wake Veronica up. Once I pick up my phone, I look at the time and see that it's 8:37am. If only we can stay like this forever. Last night was a mess. I didn't intend to start that argument with my parents but it happened. The worst part was that Mariana was watching the whole thing. She looked scared and upset when I turned to face her. I couldn't even comfort her and tell her I would never yell at her. I just walked out of the house and drove to the first person I thought of. Veronica.

Sighing, I put the phone back onto the nightstand and look back down at Veronica. God gave me an opportunity to meet this amazing girl and I am not planning on letting go soon. We might still be friends right now, but what matters to me is that she likes me for who I am. Marisela always told me to give my heart to someone special, and I'm planning to give my heart to this girl right here.

"Veronica," I whisper while shaking her lightly. "V wake up. It's time for me to go." She turns around so she's facing my chest now and sighs, but her eyes are still closed. "Veronicaaa," still shaking her. "Come on sweetheart, wake up." Her eyes start to flutter open, she brings up her hand to rub the sleepiness out of them. Once she's awake, she looks up at me and I smile at her. "Good morning," I beamed as she just blinked. She's literally just blinking at me and my heart feels like it's going to explode.

"Good morning Mateo," she smiles at me while moving to sit up. I have the sudden urge to just pull her back down and hug her till we fall back asleep. The things I would do just to leave this world and be on my own with her. "What time is it?" She questions as she turns around to look at me. I feel my cheeks heat up as she stares at me. God this girl is even making me blush. Grabbing my phone off the nightstand once again I read the time.

"8:45. I would've let you sleep more but I didn't want to leave without saying bye." Her cheeks start turning into a rosy peach color that makes my heart go wild.

"Thank you. For last night I mean." She clears her throat and continues to talk. "Whenever I have breakdowns like that I always call Alison but whenever she doesn't I'm alone." I start to rub her back gently that way she feels some sort of comfort. Although I don't know her secrets, I know for a fact she feels alone. Just like me.

"I'm always going to be here if you need anything." Bringing her into my embrace, I hear her sigh as I continue to rub her back. "Are your parents home?" I ask her, actually wondering if they're home. "Yeah, but they're most likely knocked out. They went to a banquet yesterday for my Dad's job." I nod my head in an understanding manner. I then reluctantly pull back from our warm embrace, I instantly miss the feeling of her in my arms. But I have to head home and see if Mariana is okay.

"I should probably head home. Thank you for letting me stay, it was really nice." she nods and sends me a smile. "It wasn't a problem. I need you," she looks at me while I try to contain my smile. I don't think she realizes what she just said. A few seconds after her eyes go wide and her cheeks turn red. "I- I- I mean I don't need you. NO THAT'S NOT WHAT I MEAN. I mean I'm glad you were here with me because I needed you." She covers her face with her hands and I chuckle at her awkwardness. I pull her hands off of her face and hold on to them for as long as I can. "It's okay. I need you too."

We stay like that for a couple minutes. Me holding her hands. Her staring at me with a small smile on her face. I wish life was always this peaceful. She takes my problems away temporarily. She's like my own Advil. Taking away my headaches and pain. With a sigh I let go of her hands and started standing up from her bed, slipping on my shoes. She stands up as well putting on her Crocs.

Without saying a word she walks to the door and opens it. She waits outside in the hallway for me while I get my keys. We walk silently down the stairs, careful not to wake up her parents. Once we successfully get to the front door she steps outside with me and shuts the door quietly behind her.

"Don't avoid me again please." She tells me while looking down. When her pretty face looks back up at me I give her a confusing look. "Sometimes you just disappear. I would rather you not anymore, I could tell something was up last night but I didn't want to push you about it. Just know that from now on I'm here for you. No matter what." My heart melts at what she tells me.

At that moment I realize, I'm falling for her.

No. That doesn't justify how I actually feel.

I already fell.

Pulling her into a hug, her arms wrap around my torso while mine are around her back. My chin rests on her shoulder and I breath in her scent. "I promise I'll tell you when something is wrong. Okay?" I feel her nod against my chest. I push her back but still keep my arms around her. God, she's beautiful. I just can't get enough of her.

Clearing my throat, I let her go and fiddle with my keys. "I'll see you tomorrow at school V." I say as I run a hand through my hair. "Okay, I'll see you tomorrow." She grins at me as she puts her hand onto the door handle. "Text me when you get home please." I nod and start to walk off to my truck. Once I'm situated and turn it on, I glance through the window and find Veronica waiting for me to leave. I send her a final wave and head home.

As I'm pulling up to the driveway I'm hoping Mari talks to me. I hope that argument doesn't change the way she sees me.

My parents brought up the idea of cleaning Marisela's room and I completely lost it. She's been gone for three years and no one has moved or even touched anything from her room. Just the thought of all her stuff being gone makes me sick. I started yelling at my parents not realizing the things I was saying. When I'm upset I don't think before I say. The argument consisted of "You don't care about her anymore" or "We just want to move on but not forget her." Now I understand why they thought it would be a good idea. But I'm not strong enough to cooperate with that.

Before stepping out of my truck, I send Veronica a quick text letting her know I'm home. I lock the truck and walk to the front door. Once I unlock it, I walk in to see Mom drinking her tea in the living room. She looks at me with sad eyes and my heart breaks. How could I yell at her like that. I enter the living room and give her a big hug.

"I'm sorry Mom," I kiss the top of her head. "I didn't mean to yell at you like that. I'm so sorry." She squeezes me back and takes a deep breath before pulling away. "It's okay baby. I know you didn't mean any of it. You're still hurt by the accident and that's fine, we won't go through with anything until you're ready." She grabs my hand and gently rubs it. My Mom has always been a kind hearted woman. She never means harm to anyone, so when Marisela passed it broke her heart into a million pieces.

"Is Mari awake? I have to talk to her."

"Yes she's up. She's just in her room playing with her toys."

I nod my head and start making my way towards the staircase. But before I start heading upstairs, I see my camera sitting on the table by the front door. I quickly grab it and head to Mariana's room. My mind is focused on Mari so I don't stop at Marisela's door. It takes everything in me to not stop. It's hard waking up, going to bed, walking downstairs knowing her room is just a few steps away from mine.

Shaking my head, I push those thoughts to the back of my mind. Mariana's door is closed which is very rare for her. She usually always keeps it open or slightly ajar because she always likes running out. I knock three times and open the door. My eyes soften at the sight in front of me. She lays in her bed with the teddy in her hands. She looks up at me and smiles a little. Well that's a good sign.

"Good morning Mari," I step into the room and take a seat next to her on the bed. "I missed you last night." She looks down at the teddy bear in her hands and then back at me. "Are you still mad?" My heart breaks at the thought of her thinking I'm still mad. "No I'm not. I wanted to say I'm sorry for yesterday. I know you don't like it when people are upset and I promise I won't be mad anymore okay?" I hold up my pinky since she highly believes pinky promises last. She wraps her little pinky around mine and smiles widely at me.

"It's okay Mateo. Mommy said you are sad." I nod at her comment and look down at the camera in my hands. I come up with a great idea that will change the subject and make us both feel better. "Hey why don't we have a photo shoot?" Once I say that she jumps out of bed and starts giggling. "Yes!" She exclaims and I laugh at her excitement.

"Okay, let's go find something to eat first and then we can go to the back yard and take pictures," I let her know and she started running towards the door. "Wait!" She stops in her tracks and turns around with a confused look. "Let me take a picture of you before we head downstairs." I hold the camera up as she poses with her teddy bear. I make sure that she is centered and focused. Once it's ready, I push down on the button and the flash illuminates the room for just a quick second. While I look down at the picture, Mari runs out of the room and calls Mom.

The picture turned out just the way I wanted. She's by the door wearing her light blue pajamas, her hair messy due to her waking up from sleeping, and lastly her smile just as bright as Marisela's used to be.

I stand up from the bed and make my way through the hallway. Stopping right in front of the door, that was my best friends room. She would know how to deal with all my problems. She knew what was right for me. If only there's a way for her to come back.

I need her.

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

266 11 9
Evie was a wild child. She was at (almost) every party, did every dare, and lived the way she wanted to. All so she could pour it into writing. She w...
393K 12.2K 49
"You are mine now. Just remember one thing nobody gets the privilege of bringing that smile on your face and touching you" he clenched his fsts and m...
4.3K 93 29
COMPLETED✅ Two high school teenagers finding themselves, analyzing this ever changing world, and building love. This is the type of love you wish you...
25.2K 405 57
"Fuck." He whispers into my neck, sending a thrill of excitement through my body. His lips still smothered kisses over my neck and his hands roamed...