Love is a Fight

By lovely_minds

Ryder Russo. But most people call her 'Temper'. Tough. Rebellious. Much more of a fighter than a lover. Liter... More

cast list
Chapter 1
Chapter 2 (Part 1)
Chapter 2 (Part 2)
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43

Chapter 31

950 34 5
By lovely_minds

Ryder's P.O.V.

As I laid in Grayson's arms I felt him softly rub his his hands up and down my back. Get up Ryder. Don't let him see you vulnerable.

After what felt like an eternity Grayson and I finally got up. How would things be when we got back to school? How did I want them to be?

I know I told Grayson that things should go back to how they normally are between us, but I can't help to feel a sense of security and comfort around him. But I can't let myself fall for that. He's going to leave. They all do.

"You okay?" he asked. His voice rang through my ears as I felt something odd bubble in my chest. I want to say no. I want to say that I need someone to stick around in my life.

"Like you give a fuck" I snapped. I didn't mean to. I'm just so fucking scared.

I heard Gray sigh as he got up and left the room. Probably to go check on his mom again. I wonder how long she'll last. It's morbid but she's slowly dying and it's only a matter of time. I wonder how Grayson will handle it. Maybe all this, between his mother dying and his asshole father cheating, is the reason why he acts so goddamn bipolar.

"Hey, I'm ready to go when you are" he popped his head back in. How are we getting there? Am I going to drive you then have to fucking drive you home again cause you'll probably be fucking drunk? Calm down Ry. Stop being a bitch.

"Alright let's go" I said calmly, walking past him. I watched as he grabbed a water bottle from his bag and took a long sip of it. I stopped walking and leaned against his door frame. When he finally looked at me, I raised my eyebrows.

"What? Am I not allowed to be thirsty?" he snapped obviously annoyed that I was watching him.

"How bout you drive to Nick's? I'm all hungover so it's probably not the best idea for me to be driving" I smiled politely.

"You drove here. That doesn't even make sense Ryder" he rolled his eyes. Fuck. He's not wrong.

"Well, we'll just take separate cars. That way I don't have to drive you back here" I smirked. One point Ryder.

"Ya know what? If you're just going to be a raging bitch, I'll just walk. It's nice out anyway" It's cold out. We're in the middle of October dumbass.

"Whatever, it's fine Grayson. Just get in my car" I muttered making my way downstairs. He's using alcohol to cope. Just like my fucking dad. This fucker is going to get confronted on it by me sooner or later. It's only a matter of time.

Since I was already moody, I came to a halt when I saw Grayson's dad walk in the door just as I was about to walk out.

"Riley" he had an awful smirk on his face.

"Ryder" I growled. Grayson wasn't downstairs yet even though I assumed he was right behind me.

"So pretty" he smiled. He had a prominent black eye. Looks like Grayson got some good hits in. I clenched my jaw wanting to attack the man in front of me. As I felt my hands form in fists at my sides, I prepared to lunge at the man. He seemed to sense it too as he took a step towards me, a sickly smile inches away from my face.

"Do it pretty girl. Let me see what you got" Asshole.

Just as I went to bring my fist back to make contact with that disgusting excuse of a man, I felt myself being picked up and thrown over someone's shoulder.

"Nope. We're not doing this. Not today" Grayson spoke from below me. "I'll deal with you when I get home" I assume he was talking to his dad. I couldn't see much as I stared at Grayson's cute butt. When I looked up I saw Grayson's dad's figure getting smaller and smaller as we walked towards my car. I flipped him off to which he just smirked yet again.

Finally, Grayson put me down by the driver's side of my car. He saw as my chest rose up and down, anger consuming me. He put his hands on my hips trying to get me to look him in the eyes.

"Fuck him alright? He's a piece of shit. You punching him is exactly what he wants. He wants to get a rise out of you" he spoke rather softly. When I didn't respond, he placed two fingers under my chin to bring my blue eyes to meet his gray ones. "I'll take care of it. I don't want you getting hurt"

I crossed my arms over my chest. "I can take care of myself"

He chuckled lightly placing a hand on the back of my head bringing me forward. He placed a simple kiss on my forehead and then walked to the other side of the car, leaving me standing there speechless.

I got in the car obviously grumpy.

"What's wrong sweetheart?" he sent me one of those charming smiles with a hint of amusement.

"You just— You can't just— Ughh" I quickly put my keys in the ignition and drove off before I fumbled over even more words.

As I drove back to Nick's I glanced at Grayson out of the corner of my eye. He stared out the window, watching the trees and houses pass by. I guess he felt my gaze because his eyes met mine and he smiled lightly.

"Eyes on the road Ryder" he motioned in front of me. I rolled my eyes but went back to focusing ahead.

Eventually, we got back to the house. I'm surprised Nick hasn't called Grayson a million times considering we've been gone for so long. I didn't mean to stay in his arms for as long as I did, it's just simply comfortable.

When we arrived I opened the door quietly in hopes of scaring Nick.

"What are you doing?" Grayson asked but I quickly shushed him.

"I'm gonna scare Nick"

"You're such a child" he said yet still was quiet in his footsteps alongside me. When I saw he wasn't in the living room I tip toed into the kitchen. As I peaked around the corner I saw Veronica had returned and was sitting at the counter doing work while Nick stood above her.

"Babyyyy" Nick whined pressing a kiss to the side of her head as he wrapped his arms around her from behind, "Me no want to study"

"Nick," she sighed turning the spinny chair around so she was facing him. This caused him to smirk and place both hands on either side of her leaning forward, "You've been doing so good! Your grades have improved so much. If you keep studying hard, you won't be behind in any classes!" she wore an excited grin on her face.

"How did I get so lucky to have you?" He asked smiling. He leaned forward slightly causing Veronica to stiffen. Nope. No way I'm letting this douchebag try and seduce my best friend.

"Boo!" I jumped out from behind the wall causing Nick to scream and instantly jump back. Veronica turned in her chair and looked at me with wide eyes as she placed a hand over her heart. I wore an accomplished smirk on my face and looked at Grayson who just shook his head and rolled his eyes.

"You're an asshole" Nick muttered, probably because I ruined their little moment. I just smiled sweetly and walked into his kitchen, hungry for a snack. "Please! Make yourself at home!"

"I will, thanks" I laughed as I pulled out a bag of chips from the cabinet.

"What took you guys so long anyway?" Nick asked moving his eyes back and forth between Grayson and I. Grayson just laughed and rubbed the back of his neck. I rolled my eyes but also couldn't come up with an explanation.

"Oh. My. God. I'm gonna be an Uncle!" Nick shouted clapping loudly.

"For the love of God, we didn't have fucking sex, you idiot!" Grayson rolled his eyes and gave Nick a shove. The two boys started to wrestle in the kitchen while I looked at Veronica with a blank expression causing her to giggle.

"Just admit you banged and I'll stop!" Nick was currently tickling Grayson as that seemed to be his only defense mechanism,

"We didn't fuck!" Grayson yelled back putting Nick in a chokehold. Suddenly Veronica spoke up from her seat at the counter.

"Ryder, as much as I would love to hear those two argue about your and Grayson's sex life, can you please break them up?" I shot her a glare considering we did NOT have a fucking sex life. Still, I put down my chips, walked over, and made my way between the pair. I grabbed each of their ears and pulled them away.

"Ow, ow, ow, bitch!" Nick whined as I dragged him away with my left hand and held a tight grip on Grayson's ear with my right hand.

"Let goooo" Gray complained like a child. I finally let the two go who were both sheepishly rubbing their ears. Veronica giggled and turned her attention back to her homework.

"I'm going to shower" Nick grumbled still moody about his fucking ear hurting. He gave Veronica a kiss on the forehead before turning to face me and Grayson.

"Nooo" I warned dragging out the O. He laughed and quickly hugged me giving me a long kiss against the side of my head. I pushed him away with disgust but he was already moved on to Grayson, wrapping his arms tightly around the stiff man.

"C'mon, give me a kiss" Nick smirked as Grayson aggressively shoved him away.

"I hate you" Gray rolled his eyes then walked into the living room and sat down. Nick rolled his eyes to mock Grayson and then happily trotted up the steps. I shook my head lightly laughing and walked towards the living room.

I wasn't going to sit with Veronica's nerdy ass and study so I guess I had no choice but to sit in the living room with Grayson. When I walked in, Grayson had some movie on that I didn't recognize. I looked at him but he just shrugged and turned his attention back to the TV.

I felt a yawn escape my mouth as I realized how tired I was. This hangover is really killing me. I grabbed a blanket that was draped on the back of one of the couches and stumbled over to Grayson. I stood in front of him with the blanket wrapped around my shoulders. I knew I was blocking the TV as he kept trying to look around me.

"Move!" he yelled but there was no actual anger laced in his voice.

I just laughed and laid down on the couch he was sitting on, resting my head in his lap. He seemed to stiffen at first but was quick to relax. My eyes were daring to close shut as Grayson's fingers found my hair, running through it gently.

I'm acting way too soft around this motherfucker. But still, as I laid there comfortable as fuck I felt myself falling into a sense of security. A few minutes had passed and I was convinced nothing could ruin my peaceful state, not even Nick's dumbass.

I was definitely fucking wrong.

The doorbell rang causing me to lift my head slightly. No one moved as it was none of our places to open the door. Yet, the doorbell rang again, this time followed with a knock. I rolled my eyes but eventually got up considering no one else seemed to want to get the door.

"You got it?" Grayson asked with furrowed eyebrows.

"Obviously dumbass" I snapped causing him to shake his head and look at the TV.

I walked over to the door and opened it not knowing what to expect. Boy was I fucking surprised.

In front of me stood a girl with dark black hair and bright green eyes. It felt like she was looking into my fucking soul. We both wore similar facial expressions as our faces dropped at the sight of one another. All she wore was a tank top and jeans in this cold ass weather. I assume she thought she would be coming into this house right away.

"Who are you?" I crossed my arms. She put her hands on her hips. I noticed she had similar nails to Kylie except hers were a bright green, a neon color compared to her eyes.

"Who are you?" she shot back at me.

"I asked you first" I countered.

"And?" she asked expectantly. This bitch.

"Okay, anyway bitch you can leave now" I felt my patience running thin.

"The name's Chelsea and I'm coming inside"

Do you know what happened next? This dumb bitch just stepped around me and walked into Nick's house. What the actual fuck.

"Who's here?" Grayson asked finally deciding to join, "Who're you?"

"Chelsea" she rolled her eyes as if answering the question a second time took fucking breath out of her. "I'm here to see Nick. I don't give a fuck who you people are. Where is he?"

Grayson looked at me shocked not believing this girl was serious while I just shrugged. When neither of us answered she sighed dramatically and walked away. She seemed to know her way around this house.

Unfortunately, she walked right into the kitchen where poor Veronica happened to have her face buried in a book. At the sound of footsteps, she glanced up, eyebrows quickly furrowing.

"What is this? A fucking line of bitches waiting to get with Nick?" Chelsea threw her hands in the air obviously annoyed.

"Um hi" V pushed her glasses up onto her face to rest better, "I'm Veronica"

"And I don't give a fuck. Where's Nick?" she barked.

"Watch yourself" I growled in warning but Grayson was quick to put a hand on my arm to try and calm me down. Yeah, not working.

"He's in the shower" Veronica spoke softly still visibly confused as to what is going on.

"Why would he shower? He's just going to get sweaty again" Chelsea stood there inspecting her nails, "He usually showers when we're done fucking, not before" the girl looked genuinely confused.

Veronica's mouth dropped open as did mine. This man had a fucking booty call over right now.

"Why are you doing work? It's a Saturday" judgment filled her tone as she looked Veronica up and down.

"You need to calm it the fuck down" Grayson now stepped in. Both of us protective over our nerd. Only we can pick on her.

"You guys are so annoying--" she cut herself off when she heard footsteps descending down the stairs, "Nevermind" she waved her hand in dismissal.

Nick finally stepped off the last step. He wore a random plain t-shirt and sweatpants. He held a towel in one hand drying his hair. He glanced up to meet the girl's bright green eyes. His own eyes widened as he looked between all of us. His eyes lingering on Veronica lastly but she refused to look up and meet his gaze.

"I was starting to think you forgot about our session today" Chelsea smirked grabbing him by the shirt and pressing a kiss to his lips obviously not caring that other people were in the room, "Why would you shower beforehand? That doesn't make sense--Whatever, c'mon"

She slipped her hand down to enclose it in his and began to drag him back up the steps.

"Wait, wait" Nick halted as if finally processing what is happening, "No, Chelsea you need to leave. We can't do this today"

"Are you fucking kidding me? I drove all the way here Nick"

"I know, I know. I just--I can't today. Just get out" he sighed still trying to meet Veronica's eyes but apparently, the pencil in her hand was the most interesting thing in the world.

Chelsea's eyes flickered between the two before realization lit up in her face.

"Ohhh. Okay, okay I see now. You forgot we were supposed to fuck today and now your little tutor stalker is over. That's just pathetic really" she laughed then turned her attention to Veronica "Hey babe, he needs someone who can please him, not some virgin that's going to woo him with fucking math equations" her tone was condescending.

"Chelsea, get the fuck out!" Nick snapped pointing towards the door. Yet, she still just smirked and slowly made her way out.

"Call me when your stalker leaves" she smiled.

I lost it grabbing her by the shirt as she tried to walk by and slammed her against the wall.

"I'll stick those daggers through your fucking eyes bitch" I threatened but was pulled off the girl by Grayson. He grabbed my hands forcing me to let go of my grip on her shirt.

"You're a psycho" she laughed yet again and finally fucking left closing the door behind her.

We all stood in silence. Grayson's arms were still wrapped around me as he held both my hands in his. But that was the least of my worries. And suddenly my hangover was nonexistent.

"Veronica" Nick started obviously not knowing what to say. She was silent and didn't cut him off, almost waiting to see what he has to say. But no words escaped his mouth. "I'm sorry"

"No need to apologize" she smiled lightly, "It's not like I'm your girlfriend or anything"

Damn. I could feel my own heart breaking.

"I know but you have this crush on me—"

"Yeah sorry about that I'll try to be less of a stalker" she said with slight sarcasm in her voice. I haven't seen this side of her. I kind of like it.

"Babe, it's not like that. She was just trying to bother you, that's all"

I rolled my eyes. He clearly didn't know how to make her feel better.

"Sorry" she muttered looking embarrassed that she came out of her character a bit. "You didn't do anything wrong"

Nick sighed running a hand down his face. Although it's true, he doesn't owe Veronica anything as they aren't together, he is certainly playing with her emotions.

"I'm going to watch some TV, why don't you come with me V?" Grayson spoke up. I smiled lightly but I looked down to hide. That was actually pretty sweet of him.

Veronica seemed hesitant but then glanced at Nick and let out a soft sigh, closing her textbook. She stood up and followed Grayson into the living room.

As soon they left Nick snapped his head towards me.

"Please don't punch me" he said quickly already guarding his face.

"I'm not even mad Nick—"

He cut me off, "Please don't tell me that you're disappointed"

"I'm disappointed" I finished causing him to groan and hide his face in his hands, "For someone who actually wants to be with her, you sure as hell don't act like it"

With that, I walked away as Nick stood there with wide eyes.

Walking into the living room I saw Veronica curled up on one of the couches while Grayson sat on the other, his arm thrown lazily across the back of it.

 I hopped over the couch and landed softly next to Veronica.

"Hi cutie" I nudged her arm offering her a smile

"Hey Ry" she smiled back. Once again, she was just going to act like she's unbothered by the whole situation.

"I'm sleepy" I yawned laying my head on her shoulder.

"You should sleep. We went to bed really late last night and woke up pretty early.

"Mhmm" I hummed.

Within seconds I was knocked out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up to the sound of Grayson laughing. It was a nice noise to wake up to.

I tiredly rubbed my eyes sitting up to gather my surroundings. Gray seemed to notice as he glanced over at me and smiled cutely.

Cutely?

Oh God Ryder, shut the fuck up.

"Good morning" he laughed then looked over at a clock hanging on the wall, "Even though it's 5 o'clock"

"How long did I sleep for?" my eyes widened as it was still near morning when I fell asleep.

"A few hours. You looked peaceful so I didn't want to wake you"

Why is he being so fucking nice to me?

"What happened that I'm missing? Are you guys dating now or what?" Nick spoke up causing my eyes to dart to the other couch. I hadn't even noticed him before. Why was I so focused on Grayson?

"Of course we're not dating you idiot" I rolled my eyes causing him to hold his hands up in surrender. "Where's Veronica?" I instantly looked at Nick thinking that she probably went home because of him.

"She's just in the kitchen studying more. Easy tiger" Nick smirked as I growled at him.

"I don't like that stupid bitch that was here" I folded my arms across my chest.

"Me neither," Grayson joined in the conversation, "But you can't just fight everyone that pisses you off. You're still healing from a broken nose"

"It's not broken! Just bruised a bit" I muttered. "Besides I don't fight everybody, just bitches who deserve it"

Grayson scoffed, "yeah sure".

Stupid fucker.

"You two are like an old married couple" Nick shook his head in amusement. I looked at Grayson with a disgusting face while he just winked slyly at me. I rolled my eyes and groaned throwing my head back into the couch pillow.

The three of us sat in silence for a while as some unknown movie played on the TV. It was about some mom who was a drug addict and treated her kids like shit, never being home and stuff. Eventually, the kids had enough and ran away. Currently, we're watching a scene when the mom finally finds the kids cause the cops took them to the police station after finding them under a bridge.

"Oh my babies, my babies" she cried.

"Fuck you" the youngest of the children growled.

"You want to start acting like a mother now? You're nothing. You're nobody to us. Not fucking parent. Not a fucking mother" the older child pointed his finger at the skinny drug-filled woman.

"Officer please help me, they treat me horribly. My own kids!" she exclaimed, "But I still love them. I'll always love them. Please my dears, come home with me. We can start over" there were tears in her eyes yet not one of the children believed her.

Silence fell among them as Nick, Grayson, and I stared intently at the TV.

"I hope you fucking die bitch" the oldest spat.

Damn.

I glanced at Grayson who was bouncing his leg up and down. He seemed...anxious? He stood up abruptly causing me and Nick to look at him.

"I got to use the bathroom" he said quickly. Before he walked towards the steps I watched as he reached in his pocket pulling that same, stupid fucking water bottle out. He took a long swig as he walked towards the stairs.

That's it. I've had enough.

I stood up and followed him before he reached the first step. He was taken off guard as he wasn't expecting me to be right behind him. I snatched the water bottle from his hands throwing it across the room. Since it was still open, the contents flew everywhere.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" Nick yelled standing up as well.

"Ryder what the fuck" Grayson exclaimed turning towards me with angry eyes.

"You want to be a fucking drunk? Drinking away your fucking emotions? Huh?" I screamed getting as close to his face as my height allowed me. 

His eyes widened slightly as I watched him swallow deeply.

"You don't know what the fuck you're talking about" he growled, his voice dangerously low.

Veronica emerged from the kitchen with a worried look on her face.

"What's going on? Why are you yelling?" concern laced in her voice.

"After everything I told you. After everything I fucking  told you" I dropped my voice no longer yelling.

I felt tears threaten to fall but I quickly pushed them away. I won't dare cry in front of him. 

"Ryder it's not like that. I would never be like that" he spoke trying to speak more softly. 

"You already fucking are" I growled, "Don't pride yourself because you never laid a hand on me. There are other ways to hurt someone. And you meet the fucking description"

I backed away slightly feeling overwhelmed by the situation. 

"Ry," he stepped towards me reaching for me which I matched it, taking a step back. 

"Find your own way home" my voice was the lightest I've ever heard, shocking myself. 

I was quick to grab my keys and head quickly out the door before anyone could stop me. 

"What the fuck did you do?" was the last thing I heard from Nick as I assumed it was directed towards Grayson. 

I got in my car quickly driving away. As I drove a decent distance away from Nick's house, I stopped to pull over. 

Tears cascaded down my face. I punched the steering wheel hard. Once. Twice. Three, four, five. Lost count. 

I screamed a painful cry finally resting my head against the thing I just punched.

I cried for Grayson being just like my fucking father.

I cried for my dad who will never know the pain he caused me.

I cried because I'm alone. And I always will be.

I cried. And I cried. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hi guys! what do you think of this chapter?

poor ryder :(

thoughts on any of the characters?

what do you want to see more of?

vote, comment and message me if you want! i love hearing from you guys

love you all always <3 thank you for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.2M 146K 39
Rose Addams was born to be a fighter. She grew up to become the strongest boxer. But after the death of her father she gives it all up. All her tim...
398K 10.3K 57
"Her troubled eyes held fire. The kind of fire that was capable of burning me to ash." ***** I grabbed her chin with my free hand, making her look at...
760K 17.3K 48
MATURE CONTENT: some may say a smut overload EDITING/REWRITING One night. A night filled with passion and longing. The annual ball has finally come...
445K 7.8K 31
Braylon Ryder is 15 years old and lives the perfect life. Beautiful, athletic, smart, good grades and lots of friends. Or so everyone thinks. What...