Yours truly, Gilbert | 𝐆𝐈𝐋...

By malfoysocean

❝ isn't it romantical, how we fell in love twice? ❞ [ gilbert x my fem!oc ] [ completed || 11/19/23 #1 rubygi... More

yours truly, gilbert
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty

fourteen

1.2K 34 3
By malfoysocean

"A boy?! But that's- that's against the rules." Diana sputtered, quickly shaking her head.

"I know! But Mr. Phillips made the mistake, and if he actually cared about this activity, he'd be able to see it. The boy and I... we just played along."

Diana looked up from her shoes and licked her lips. "You don't know who he is?"

I shook my head embarrassed. We wanted to keep it a secret from eachother and with my feelings out there now, there's no way I'm telling him anytime soon. "We both respect eachother's privacy and boundaries... And I don't think I'm ready to know yet. He really is such a gentleman, unlike any boy I know in our class. If I find out it's Billy or someone like that, it'll be different. But whoever it is... I do think I love him."

Diana's nervous look fell, and a warm smile grew across her lips. "Well I have to admit that is quite romantical. Two unknown lovers brought together on accident. Forbidden from the truth because of the risk of being found out and punished for cheating." Diana had this dreamy smile and glanced up at the sky. "I wish I had gotten a boy."

I laughed softly. "I think Anne is rubbing off on you."

"Oh Anne! Could I please tell her this? She could write a wonderful story-"

Before she could finish I interrupted her. "I'm sorry Diana. But I don't want anyone finding out about this. Especially the other girls and everyone in the class. I need to know that I can trust you."

Diana sighed slowly and a serious look went across her face, she nodded. "This is obviously important to you, I should respect that."

I smiled and embraced her. Hugging her tight. It's been awhile since I've had one of those.

"Could I read the other letters?" She asked eagerly. I laughed. Diana was keeping one of my biggest secrets. The least I could do was humour her.

"You have to promise to give them back before the school day ends." I said sternly, and she nodded.

***
DIANA'S POV

The letters were beautifully written. I could see how well the two connected. His words were charming and poetic. We didn't do the pen-pal activity today because Gilbert wasn't here. Really he hasn't been here for awhile and I could tell it was annoying Mr. Phillips.

Afterschool, he asked Harley to stay behind. I lingered in the doorway to hand her back her letters. It looked like they were having a tense conversation before Mr. Phillips slammed his hand on the desk, silencing Harley. She forcefully grabbed a handful of books and rolled her eyes.

Then she turned back towards me and started walking fast. "I have to drop these off for Gilbert. Will you come with me?" She asked quickly.

We stepped off the porch onto the perfectly white snow. She had already started walking, then I paused.

I nodded without thinking, but then something hit me. "W- wait Harley. Josie's rule, I can't- I can't break it."

She sighed impatiently, and whirled around towards me. Some locks of her hair flying in the sky. "Please Diana. If we go together it will seem like a school-friendly thing, but if I just go, it'll seem like I'm the one breaking it."

I bit my lip and quickly glanced around. "Well... well what about Henri?"

"He's sick. He's been sick the past 2 days."

I looked around once more before reluctantly walked towards her. I sighed and locked my arm in hers. "Okay. But just this once."

Harley squealed happily and I leaned into her. We let the sound of the snow below our feet fill the silence and made our way towards Gilbert Blythe's house.

Halfway there, Harley started talking. "I still can't believe out of all the people in our class he chose me to do this."

I didn't say anything, but I nodded to show I was listening.

"I mean... why not ask one of the boys! Gilbert's friends!" She asked loudly, looking at the sky like it was it's fault.

"What do you have against Gilbert? I mean- besides Josie's rule. It seems like you two were close."

She glanced over at me with a knowing look. "It's a long story."

Before we knew it, we were here. His house was nice, it had a homey feeling. I had never seen it before. Harley knocked on the door, and there was no answer. Seconds later, she knocked again, groaning frustratedly. "Gilbert open up!" She shouted towards the door.

I would've giggled if it wasn't for her serious expression. Finally, an old man opened the door. He looked weak, fragile, but despite that, he still had a warm smile greeting us. Harley looked taken aback, as did I.

"Oh my word, I'm so sorry sir." Harley quickly said. "You should be resting."

He shook his head, shrugging. "You were waiting out here in the cold, I couldn't simply leave you out here.

Harlu fumbled over her words. "You're- You're too kind sir, but please let us help you."

He did look awfully ill. I stood behind Harley to the side and nodded too.

So, Mr. Blythe took Harley's hand and she slowly walked him back towards his bed. While I followed awkwardly behind.

"Make sure he's comfortable." Harley said to me, walking towards the kitchen.

I walked into Mr. Blythe's room and awkwardly smiled. There was a stack of books next to his nightstand. "Do you like to read?"

His gaze followed my hand and he nodded. "Oh yes. Very much."

I grazed the worn out book covers with my fingers and read each title. Jane Eyre. "My Aunt Josephine has this one!" I exclaimed excitedly, which Mr. Blythe chuckled at.

Harley came in with something fragile in hand. A cup of tea. "I apologize for my hastiness. I just wanted you to drink it while it was warm."

Mr. Blythe took Harley's hands in his. "Bless you girls, thank you."

Harley smiled and turned towards me, seeing my hand on the stack of books. "Are all of these yours?"

He nodded. "Well, they're Gilbert's now. He likes to read to me sometimes."

"That's very kind of him." Harley said softly, keeping her eyes on them.

"Would you like to read?" He asked.

Harley hesitated. "We really should be getting back..."

"Harley." I hissed, and she looked at me. There was a silent understanding between us both our mothers taught us when we were young. Don't reject to do something the host offers. It seemed she remembered this when she inhaled sharply.

"Where is Gilbert?"

"Gilbert? Well he's working down at the farm. He hasn't been back at school. I try telling him-" He was interrupted by a cough attack, Harley kneeled by him. When it stopped, he took a deep breath. "Anyways... Gilbert shouldn't be back for another hour or so."

Harley nodded and plopped down onto a nearby chair. "Splendid."

Mr. Blythe chose a book, and Harley began reading the first chapter.

I let the words drown out and made my way towards the kitchen, examining pots and spices. Just then, the door we entered from opened, letting the bright snow shine in and a gust of wind along with it.

Gilbert sighed and shut the door behind him, he took off his scarf and looked up. His eyebrows creased. "Diana? What are you- Who's in there?" He beckoned towards the open bedroom door, and walked in. "Harley?"

She stood up quickly. "Gilbert I- I'm sorry for intruding. Diana and I wanted to help your dad."

He looked at each of us, then he hesitantly nodded. "It's alright. I suppose I was just... taken aback."

There was silence for several seconds before Harley turned to me. "We should probably be going, wouldn't want to give your parents a fright."

I nodded quickly and now Gilbert looked at me. "Are your parents easily worried?"

"Very." Harley mumbled before I could say anything.

"Well then, I'll write them a note explaining this mishap and a thank you for letting their daughter help my family."

"Oh no, you mustn't-" I started, but Gilbert cut me off.

"I insist. Please."

So, I nodded and followed Gilbert into the kitchen, while Harley stayed to finish the page she was on in the book.

"I'm guessing it was Harley's idea to come in here?" Gilbert asked, but it seemed he already knew the answer. He was leaning over a piece of paper and writing quickly.

Once she sees someone she can help, she'll set her mind to it. I remembered that day of the fire. She punched a hole through the glass window to get her and Ruby out.

Of course, she doesn't fully think before acting, like how that small impact did nothing but grab our attention, but that doesn't mean she's not determined.

"We came here first to drop off your school work. When Harley saw your father, well... you know."

"Ah." Gilbert nodded and slid the note across the counter to me. "She can be very... hard-headed."

I smiled, knowing it was 100% true. Then, I glanced at the note to see what I was going to give to my parents. But when I saw it, my eyes widened. I almost dropped it right there, and I swore I could've felt my heart stop.

The handwriting. I've seen it before, and I knew exactly where.

From Harley's letters.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

662 12 5
Gilbert can never escape Anne Shirley Cuthbert, he's reminded of her wherever he is. But, how far is he willing to go to get her back after a misunde...
53K 1.7K 29
in which two youtubers fall in love. social media au. (-ᴅʀᴜɴᴋᴇɴʜᴏᴜʀ|©𝟸𝟶𝟷𝟿) COMPLETED!
190K 3K 42
♡ "𝑾𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒍𝒐𝒗𝒆 𝒎𝒆 𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒏 𝑰 𝒈𝒐𝒕 𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒎𝒚 𝒂𝒄𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒔𝒐𝒖𝒍" ♡ {gotta love quoting the amazing...