the end is just another begin...

By gayforyosanoakiko

Set after the Queen of Nothing. A one-shot containing four parts in which Jude and Cardan overcome the strugg... More

~The end is just another beginning~

2.4K 55 12
By gayforyosanoakiko

Hello to the people reading this book. Before you read this, just so you know there is death at the end of this book. Be warned in case that triggers you. Also, if someone actually reads this and there are any typos or problems please let me know (I take constructive criticism not rude comments)

She was so peaceful. His wife lay there in his arms, breathing slowly and evenly, her heart rate was less powerful than the fae but Cardan found it beautiful all the same.

Her chestnut hair was splayed out and her mocha coloured skin gleamed in the sunlight. Her rosy complexion was so different from the gas and Cardan half wished she would open her eyelids just so that he could see those gorgeous amber eyes of hers.

She murmured something in her sleep, too quiet and too fast for even Cardans hearing.

He wondered what she could be thinking of. He wished he knew.

Jude's brain was a treasure full to the brim of things ranging from facts and battle strategies to ball gowns and etiquette. But most of all, Jude's brain was thoughtful and kind. Although it came up with the most scathing remarks, Cardan had often been the subject of those, it held compassion for those who she loved.

He pressed a kiss to her forehead and her eyes fluttered open.

There they were. Those beautiful eyes. They were more fascinating than any eyes of the fae. Cardan could stare at those amber eyes for ages.

He was shaken from his trance by a grumpy "What are you staring at, asshole?" from his sleep deprived wife.

Cardan chuckled quietly. "Only you, my sweet nemesis."

"Well stop. I'm trying to sleep."

It had been a stressful couple of days for them both. Ruling over Elfhame was still as hard as when his murderous brother and Jude's adoptive father was planning to kill them, only now, it was more tedious.

"Cardan?"

Jude's lilting voice brought him back to reality once again.

"Yes, my sweet Jude?"

"What are we going to do now? It feels like the end. There are no more wars to be won, no more evil brother-in-laws to be killed, what do now that we've reached the end?"

"Well, my darling, the end is simply just another beginning. We get to start over."

He pressed his lips to hers. "Together."

"That is so cliche..."

Cardan snorted.

"...I love you so much," Jude whispered softly.

"I love you too, my queen."

~~~

When Jude found out that she was with child Cardan was ecstatic.

Suddenly 9 months didn't seem that long. It was a flurry of trips to the mortal world for baby supplies (it seemed to be the only thing the Duarte sisters agreed upon), baby names (something the Duarte sisters did NOT agree upon), Jude's pregnancy cravings and everything in between.

One night, when Jude was 6 months pregnant, Cardan came back into their bedroom after a long day of paperwork and meetings to find Jude crying on their bed, three empty packets of m&ms lying beside her.

Cardan climbed upon the bed and enveloped her into his arms. "My darling Jude, what seems to be the matter?"

"I'm scared." Jude sniffled into his body. "What if we're not ready? What if the baby hates me?"

"Oh my dearest, our baby could never hate you." Cardan was shocked. How could she think such a thing? Jude was the most perfect person in the whole of Elfhame and the human world! And he wasn't just saying that because she was his wife and she slept with a dagger under her pillow. Jude was the reason they were standing here today. Jude was the reason having their baby was possible. She was kind, brilliant, witty, smart, menacing, intimidating, beautiful and strategic. Was she joking? It didn't seem like that. Jude's eyes were puffy and red from crying.

My darling Jude, our baby could never hate you. No matter what."

"How are you so sure?"

Because I am the child's father and I could never hate you even if I wanted to, and believe me, I wanted too. I never hated you, not in school, not when you kidnapped me, not when you held a knife to my throat, not when you tricked me onto the throne. I have never hated you because it goes against every fibre of my being and if the child has simply the tiniest drop of my blood in them, they could never hate you."

"I love you."

"I love you too."

Jude nestled into Cardan and was soon asleep. Cardan was then left with his thoughts once again.

Though he had meant every word of what he had said, Cardan wished more than anything that the child held all of Jude and none of him, for he was a coward. He stood by when Jude and Taryn and the others were bullied, he stood by when Jude was force fed faerie fruit. Yet Jude never faltered, never wavered. She always stood tall and strong, even when she was at her lowest. Their child wouldn't hate her, they would hate him.

"Stop that."

Cardan looked down and saw his wife staring up at him, her eyes shining with sadness.

"You're doubting yourself again."

Cardan opened his mouth, but Jude then started speaking again.

"We've been married for 5 years, I can tell when you're doubting yourself. In case you've forgotten our child also shares parts of me, and I love you so very much. Sure, you can be insufferable at times-" Cardan laughed. "-But your heart is pure, not shabby, not rotten. You are so confident and have a way with words like no one else. You're poetic and romantic and-" she leaned in very close, as if inspecting something on his face. "-SO GODDAMN HANDSOME!"

Cardan jumped at this outburst.

"Sorry," Jude said sheepishly. "Our child will love you. I'm certain of it."

Cardan simply laughed again and pulled her in so close that their foreheads were touching. "I believe in you, and you believe in me, therefore we can do this," Cardan whispered determinately. "After all this is our new beginning."

3 months and 12 days later, a smiling baby girl with pointed ears was born. She loved both her mother and father equally and learned many things. Her name was Eva Duarte Greenbriar.

~~~

Six years later, Jude fell pregnant once again. For the second time in their life, the couple was swept up in baby preparation.

Due to this unexpected news, the thread holding everything together slowly began to unravel.

Having been so caught up in the baby planning, Elfhame fell into a deep catastrophe. Floods.

The stress affecting the royal couple had begun to seep into the roots of Elfhame, at least that was the most obvious explanation.

"Cardan," Jude said to him one night while rubbing her belly and studying books on the magic of Elfhame.

"Yes my love?" Cardan asked.

"Do you believe that our stress levels are causing the floods?"

"What do you mean?"

"We were just as stressed when I was pregnant with Eva. What makes this any different?"

"Maybe the land has hit a breaking point?"

"Is that possible?"

"Anything is possible in Faerieland."

"That's not an answer."

"Seemed like one to me."

"I know what this means."

"Do you though?"

Jude slammed the book shut.

"Cardan, my wonderful husband, light of my life, wonderful king, please, for the love of all things Mab, please give me a straight answer."

"Jude dearest, I do not know."

His wife sighed and rubbed her temples.

Suddenly there was a knock on the door.

"Come in." Cardan called.

Eva toddled in, rubbing her wet eyes. Cardan immediately started panicking. What had happened? Had someone done something to her? He would tear whoever made his children cry limb from limb.

"Baby what's wrong?" Jude asked soothingly.

"I-i-i-it's all my fault," Eva broke down again.

"What is darling? Cardan asked concerningly, regaining his composure,

"T-t-the floods."

Cardan and Jude both looked at each other.

"Eva, what are you talking about?" Jude asked, a slight edge in her voice.

Eva must have noticed that and began wailing more.

"I-I-I-I didn't want any siblings. We wouldn't be a proper family anymore. That's what Nesryn told me."

"Nesryn? As in Nesryn Orlagh? As in Nicasia's daughter?" Jude balled her fist as Eva nodded and Cardan could feel the heat rising in the room. He lay a hand on her fist and she relaxed a fraction.

"Eva, you must know that Nesryn is wrong. Just because you'll have a sister or brother, it doesn't mean that we won't be a proper family or that you won't be able to spend time with us. It'll be better, you'll have someone new to play with and boss around. Because goodness knows your mummy and I are getting too old for dress ups and faeries and mortals."

Eva sniffled as wiped her nose.

"O-okay. I just got really mad and upset, and then the floods started."

Jude and Cardan turned to face each other. 'What could this mean?'

"A-a-am I going to get in trouble?"

"No." Jude said firmly. "This can wait till morning."

Eva smiled and jumped into the four poster bed that Jude and Cardan share.

The couple smiled at each other and crawled into bed.

"Eva?" Cardan said.

"Yes daddy?"

"Just because something is ending doesn't mean it's gone. It just means there will be a new beginning. And new beginnings aren't bad, they're a fresh start, a way to re do your mistakes. So we welcome new beginnings, okay?"

"Okay."

~~~

She was so peaceful. His wife lay there in his arms, her breathing slow and raspy, her heart rate weakening by the second but Cardan still found her beautiful, even in her old age.

Tears slowly drip down his cheeks. She had lived a long life, for a mortal that is, but cardan still had many, many years ahead. 'How could he go on without her?' How could he survive?' 'Please' Cardan begged. 'Open your eyes again, if only for the last time.'

As if answering his prayers, his wife opened her eyes.

"Cardan," she rasped, her amber eyes as bright as always.

Everyone had already paid their respects, but Cardan could not leave.

"I wish we had longer," he sobbed. His head resting on her fragile body. "I wish it didn't have to end."

Jude simply smiled. "I love you with all my heart Cardan, but we need to welcome new beginnings." She then closed her eyes for the last time.

"I love you too." Cardan whispered, his heart cracking into tiny pieces. He pressed a shaky kiss to her head and held her limp hand. The body already turning colder.

He stayed like that for a long time, but he knew that eventually, he'd have to welcome the new beginning...

~~~

Is it poetic that the sun was rising when I finished the story?

Well that's it folks. I really hope you enjoyed this (but if you enjoyed the last part then I am concerned for your sanity.) if you did maybe you could leave a vote... :)

~ casper

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

681K 6K 75
Hellloooooooo This book will be full of one shots for the HARRY STYLES . DISCLAIMER: The fics that aren't mine will have NM, and credits to owners. ...
Fake Love By :)

Fanfiction

137K 3.1K 46
When your PR team tells you that we have to date a girl on the UCONN women basketball team and you can't say no to it... At first you don't think too...
128K 2.7K 20
"I've been warned in my ten years in Faerie to never make bargains with the Folk, but I am the one who can lie. The Folk should be warned to never ma...
30.7K 797 6
A One Piece fanfiction where many characters from One Piece watch Luffy's memories. I do not own any of these One Piece characters just my OC. These...