The Untamed Princess

By JudeBelinda

***THE WATTYS 2021 & 2022 - SHORTLISTED ENTRY*** The fragile peace between the two ancient kingdoms of Han a... More

Author's Introductory Note
Chapter One: The Princess Spy
Chapter Two: The Mission Begins
Chapter Three: The Suspicious Prince
Chapter Four: The Burgeoning Sentiment
Chapter Five: The Sudden Journey
Chapter Six: The Violent Intervention
Chapter Seven: The Senseless Death
Chapter Eight: The Unwelcome Intrusion
Chapter Nine: The Exhilarating Chase
Chapter Ten: The King's Dilemma
Chapter Eleven: The Unexpected Promotion
Chapter Twelve: The Anticipated Outing
Chapter Thirteen: The Thrilling Duel
Chapter Fourteen: The Important Project
Chapter Fifteen: The Awkward Entanglement
Chapter Sixteen: The Queen's Wish
Chapter Seventeen: The Strategic Solution
Chapter Eighteen: The Enjoyable Evening
Chapter Nineteen: The Deadly Encounter
Chapter Twenty: The Unexpected Ally
Chapter Twenty-One: The Lucky Escape
Chapter Twenty-Two: The Unforgivable Violation
Chapter Twenty-Three: The Astonishing Aftermath
Chapter Twenty-Four: The First Truth
Chapter Twenty-Five: The Belated Realisation
Chapter Twenty-Six: The Slow Recovery
Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Suspenseful Evening
Chapter Twenty-Eight: The Second Truth
Chapter Twenty-Nine: The Interesting Aftermath
Chapter Thirty: The Impending Summit
Chapter Thirty-One: The Overt Recognition
Chapter Thirty-Two: The First Impression
Chapter Thirty-Four: The Instinctive Sacrifice
Chapter Thirty-Five: The Risky Reunion
Chapter Thirty-Six: The Tearful Apology
Chapter Thirty-Seven: The Promising Introduction
Chapter Thirty-Eight: The Unlamented Demise
Chapter Thirty-Nine: The Puzzle Solved
Chapter Forty: The Inevitable Confrontation
Chapter Forty-One: The Third Truth
Chapter Forty-Two: The Fourth Truth
Chapter Forty-Three: The Formal Proposal
Chapter Forty-Four: The Egregious Gift
Chapter Forty-Five: The Unorthodox Treatment
Chapter Forty-Six: The Ordeal Ends
Chapter Forty-Seven: The Dangerous Plan
Chapter Forty-Eight: The Looming Departure
Chapter Forty-Nine: The Difficult Separation
Chapter Fifty: The Game Afoot
Chapter Fifty-One: The Evil Unmasked
Chapter Fifty-Two: The Happy Union
Chapter Fifty-Three: The Final Confrontation
Epilogue: The Story Ends

Chapter Thirty-Three: The Stealthy Intrusion

1.6K 170 7
By JudeBelinda

The jealousy that had been burning inside of Weisheng had quickly given rise to a different kind of emotion, and he was struggling to exercise any kind of self-restraint now that they were alone together in the dead of night, and when he tightened his grip around her and lifted her off the floor, Ming Yue felt her own resistance seeping away.

"Weisheng," she murmured, as his mouth explored the exposed skin at the base of her throat.

He suddenly stopped and brought his head up to look her directly in the eyes.  She was momentarily startled by the intensity of his gaze, then he rested his forehead against hers in a soft gesture.

Before either of them could speak again, a sudden sound captured their attention.

Luo Jian strode into the prince's quarters in his usual way, without announcing his presence in advance, only to be met with the sight of Weisheng and Ming Yue frantically adjusting their clothing.  He raised a disapproving eyebrow, and the two culprits had the good grace to look at least a little sheepish.

Tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear, Ming Yue was the first to move.  She walked quickly towards the exit, mumbling a good night to each man, before slipping out into the darkness.

Luo Jian turned to Weisheng, who was staring at his friend in disbelief.

"Luo Jian, your timing is..."

"Impeccable!" Luo Jian shot back.  "Just be thankful it was me and not Eunuch Wang.  Can you imagine?"

No, Weisheng definitely could not!

***

The following day had been set aside for negotiations between the two kingdoms regarding proposed trade routes.  Unfortunately for Ming Yue, the late finish to the day meant she overslept, and had no time to eat before making her way to the main tent to ensure that the furniture had been rearranged from the banquet the night before, ready for the more serious matters at hand.

Of course, it had completely escaped her notice that her lengthy discussion with Eunuch Song the previous day had lasted well past her usual time to eat her lunchtime meal and, while she would normally have eaten after last night's banquet, she had instead gone straight to the prince's tent.

Consequently, it had now been over twenty-four hours since Ming Yue had consumed any food at all, and she was now starting to feel a little light-headed.  Still, she quickly became oblivious to her condition as she continued with her task for that morning, only leaving the main tent when she was completely happy with the layout.

As she made her way through the camp towards her tent, a wave of dizziness suddenly came over her, and she swayed on her feet.  Stumbling to her right, her hand found a wooden beam being used for tethering the horses, and she leaned against it gratefully.  Only then did she realise that she had, once again, gone for over a whole day without eating, and she cursed inwardly at her stupid tendency to disregard one of life's essential activities.

It was Ming Yue's good fortune that Luo Jian was approaching from the other side of the camp and witnessed her predicament.  However, it was horribly bad timing that, at the same time, her brother Zhixing was entering the camp from an early morning ride, and also saw his beloved sister close to losing consciousness.

Both men rushed towards the young woman from different directions as she crumpled to the floor, no longer able to stave off the effects of an empty stomach and the searing heat, which was punishing even in the early morning.

Luo Jian was the first to reach Ming Yue's side.  He satisfied himself that she was breathing normally, and that she was not feverish, then picked her up.  However, before he could turn around and walk back towards her tent, Prince Zhixing was in front of him, an alarmed expression on the young man's face.

"Is she alright?" he asked, breathlessly. 

Luo Jian looked at him intently, noting his unusually high level of anxiety.

"It does not appear to be anything serious, Your Highness," he said, slowly. "Perhaps just the effect of the unseasonably warm weather. Thank you for your concern, but please do not let it worry you. We will take good care of her."

"She might not have eaten.  You should check.  Sometimes..." Zhixing tailed off, realising that he was about to make a potentially fatal mistake as he saw Luo Jian's eyes narrow.  Instead, with great effort, he composed himself.

"Anyway, irrespective of the cause, I am glad it is nothing major.  If I can be of no further assistance, I will leave you to it."  He gave a brief nod of respect to Luo Jian and walked off towards the Jin delegation's cluster of tents, his shoulders tense.

Luo Jian reached the young woman's tent, then placed her gently on top of the bed.  He called out for one of the junior maidservants and instructed her to bathe Ming Yue's face and neck with damp towels until she woke up, then get her whatever food and drink she could manage from the camp kitchen.

He had already resolved not to tell Weisheng about Ming Yue's condition, nor the young Jin prince's obvious concern for the woman.  His friend was unable to think clearly when it came to her, and today, the most important task was building up Han's relationship with Jin.

Luo Jian felt no guilt for keeping it from the prince.  He knew that Ming Yue would have said the same thing if she had been able to, and the young woman would not be missed, as her presence in the main tent was not expected that morning.  It had already been decided that only the princes and their bodyguards, the ministers, and the two chief eunuchs as notetakers would be party to the negotiations, to allow both sides to speak as freely as possible.

Throwing one final glance towards the unconscious woman, Luo Jian strode out of the tent to find Weisheng.

***

Weisheng was in a good mood.  The day of negotiations had gone well, even though it had taken a considerable length of time to iron out the finer details, and the princes of both kingdoms had eventually arrived at a landing.  Weisheng had expected some interference or objection from his ministers, but that had been far from the case.

True to form, Minister Shen had offered constructive advice, and Ministers Deng and Xie had stepped in only to provide assistance on matters which would benefit from their particular areas of expertise.

Little did he know that one of the three of them had been advised by his co-conspirators to do nothing at all out of the ordinary, as the fireworks which were to come later would permanently resolve the issue of the second prince in any event.

The newly negotiated agreement was that three trade routes between the two kingdoms would be established.  One each to the north and south, and one which was the most direct route between both capitals.

Items which would be moving between the two kingdoms included various herbs and spices, fine silks and other fabrics, precious metals, and earthenware.  If the arrangement proved to be successful, no doubt other goods would be added to the list in future, leading to a fully realised trade network between Han and Jin.

Now, the hour was late, and both delegations were having a belated meal in their respective areas of the camp, the prince having correctly assumed during the planning process that a relatively relaxed dinner each with their own countrymen would be much more welcome than a second, formal banquet.

Weisheng's meal had been served and, as usual, he ate with Luo Jian.  However, he was surprised that Ming Yue was nowhere to be seen.  She would not always eat with the two of them, as often she had other things to take care of, but it was unusual not to have sight of her for an entire day.

"Is Ming Yue with Eunuch Wang?" he asked his friend, innocently.

At this point, Luo Jian felt a little guilty.  He perhaps should have told Weisheng as soon as the negotiations had concluded, but he had been receiving regular reports on Ming Yue's health and, by all accounts, she was much improved since that morning.  In spite of the potential consequences, he resolved to tell Weisheng the truth now as, as a general rule, he avoided lying unless it was absolutely necessary.

"No," he said.  "She forgot to eat again.  I found her collapsed in the camp this morning and took her back to her tent.  She's fine now, just a little weak."  Luo Jian didn't mention Prince Zhixing's response to Ming Yue's condition.  After all, it wasn't lying.  Just omitting certain details.

Weisheng jumped to his feet, his expression incredulous.

"And you didn't think to tell me this sooner?" he asked.

"You needed to focus on the trade negotiations," he answered, calmly.  "Ming Yue would have said the same thing.  You know this."

Weisheng's anger subsided as quickly as it had arrived.

"You're right, of course," he said.  "That silly, silly girl.  She thinks of everything else except her own health.  I will go and see her now."  He started to walk quickly towards the tent opening, but before he had taken even a few steps, a eunuch entered.

The young man looked at Luo Jian, then looked at the prince, hesitating.  Weisheng frowned.

"Spit it out, man."

"Your...Your Highness," he stammered.  Captain Luo asked me to report on the health of the young lady."  He looked again at Luo Jian, who nodded for him to continue.

"She has eaten a light meal and retired early.  She asked me to deliver this letter to you."

Weisheng almost snatched it out of the servant's hand in his haste.  Opening it, he scanned it quickly then, to the eunuch's great relief, indicated that the young man could go.  With a wry smile, he tossed the paper across to Luo Jian to read.

"Your Highness, my deepest apologies that I could not serve at your side today.  I was unfortunately inconvenienced, and I fear that if I were to be in your presence this evening it would be hazardous to both of our health, so I beg your forgiveness in this regard.  In my absence, I respectfully remind you that you have an early ride planned with Their Highnesses the Jin princes tomorrow morning.  Secretary Li."

Luo Jian smirked at the excessive formality of the missive, a stance which had of course been long abandoned in their face-to-face interactions.

Weisheng sat back down, his worries now abated.  They were however replaced with a sense of frustration at Ming Yue's reckless disregard for her own well-being.  Still, there was little he could do about it that night.  Instead, he resolved to have a long talk with the young woman the following day.

***

Ming Yue's eyes flew open.  She had woken suddenly, but there was no noise.  Instead, she had been pulled from her sleep by an almost crushing sense of foreboding.  The air around her felt heavy, and it was if the very fabric of the earth was whispering to her.

"Danger!" it said.

Rising to her feet, she pulled on her boots and made her way to the entrance of her tent, not bothering to throw anything over her nightwear.  She looked out at the two royal guards on duty in front of Weisheng's larger tent, clearly visible by the flames of torches that would burn all night.

A sudden movement caught her eye, and she adjusted her gaze to her right, towards the back of Weisheng's accommodation, where the light from the torches did not quite reach.  She peered into the darkness until her vision adjusted, and she could just about make out a tall figure.  It was a man wearing the uniform of a royal guard, stood close to the fabric of the back wall of Weisheng's tent.  She visibly relaxed.  This must be part of Luo Jian's enhanced security measures, she thought.

She turned to make her way back inside her own tent, then suddenly stopped.

The man had been alone.  But other than Luo Jian, the royal guards were always in pairs.  She turned again, looking back.  The man was not there. She frowned.  She had only looked away for a moment.   There was nowhere he could have gone without her seeing him walking away.  Unless...!  She froze for instant then, suddenly, turned on her heel and dashed towards the entrance to Weisheng's tent.

Luckily the royal guards on duty were part of Luo Jian's trusted few, and they were well used to Ming Yue's comings and goings at all hours, so she met with no resistance as she hurtled headfirst into the large room, despite her unusual attire.

On the far side, she saw a figure stood over the prince's bed with his arm raised.  The weapon in his hand was glinting in the faint torchlight.

"Weisheng!" she shouted, as the man's arm started to descend.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

502K 55.8K 65
When Xu Zhijian becomes a full-fledged demon hunter, he is given a talisman to summon his familiar. However, he ends up calling forth the sleeping 'D...
21.1K 2K 37
*WATTYS 2018 SHORTLISTED* *FEATURED ON WATTPAD JANUARY 2018* NATASHA BLACKMORE is barely hanging onto her crown after all five of her suitors have be...
Tears Of Kai Yuan By Avigayil

Historical Fiction

75.6K 3.1K 35
Location: Ancient China Date: T'ang Dynasty During the most flourishing era in Ancient China, all seemed to be well for the people. The kingdom was g...
138K 4.7K 21
"You are the Empress of China. Never ever forget who you are. From the day you were born, your fate has already been written. To rise as a Phoenix." ...