A Collection of Short Stories

By DaughtersofAthena_

This is a collection of many short stories. There will be many short mysteries and if I think it may be confu... More

Main Street
Shadows
The Murder of the Mayor
Golden Leaves
Dragons: Part 1
Dragons: Part 2
Asleep
Sick Girl: Preview
Locked
Twins
Monsters in the Mist
The Deadly Songwriter
The Not-So-Great Detective
Lost
The Guilty Ones Always Get Away
Hipparchos
The Colors Outside My Window.
perfect

15 Days of Romance

15 2 12
By DaughtersofAthena_

I wouldn't go as far as to say I was popular. 

I mean, yeah, I have found myself the subject of rumors and gossip, but it's not like I go around asking for it. I tend to stick to the background of things, blend into the crowd as some would say.

And that's why I am the perfect mystery.

I don't have friends, go to parties, or go out of my way to socialize. I've never had a significant other or anyone close to that point because none of the people I've met sparked my interest. My life consists of my Mom, dog, and little brother.

As the mystery girl, all the guys take turns trying to figure me out. I have practically turned down all of the teenage male population in my grade and the grades below and above mine. It is so frustrating! I don't understand their logic, but it seems they have a running bet on who I will date first.

Three days ago, the talk of the town was the big breakup between the only high school's power couple, the captain of the football team, and the leader of the cheer squad.

It was pretty much the cliche American teen movie relationship. The cheer captain was cruel and came from the richest family in our small town. The cheer team backed up anything their bully of a leader did and got her out of trouble.

The sports player wasn't actually that bad. He was pretty nice, but obviously had terrible taste in who he wanted to date. He got decent grades though.

Everyone knew what was going on at lunch when the now ex-girlfriend screeched about how he can't do this and you'll regret it. She then burst into sobs and ran from the quad while the football captain apologized for the niose before sitting down and finishing his lunch.

For the rest of the day, the blonde cheerleader was spewing out sob stories to anyone who would listen. Everyone knew none of it was true but sympathized with her anyway.

To get back at him, she started going out with her ex's friend. The friend actually asked if the captain was okay with it. He agreed but warned him about her, so her plan didn't work as there were no hard feelings.

So, news of the century, not all high school football players are douches like the movies lead us to believe.

When her "master plan" didn't work she went into denial. She flat-out denied they had ever broken up even though there were about fifty witnesses. Her friends all agreed that it was a fluke, but the football players backed up their captain.

Now that the goggle of country girls caught wind that the town's most wanted bachelor was now eligible, they crowded him after the last bell. He politely made his way over to the field for practice and sighed as the crowd followed him to the stands.

Here in small-town Texas, football is everything. Parents hold their children back several grades just so they can be bigger when football season comes along. Brawls have been started by insulting a fan's team. Most of the sports budget fuels the team with new uniforms, inflatables, and practice dummies. Team members get free passes in academic and disciplinary issues so they don't have to be kicked off the team. Every team fights for the state title.

I've never really understood what the fuss is about. I'll occasionally go to a game, but the huge crowds and screams usually deter me from coming back for another couple of months. I'm fine with letting others enjoy the game, but I prefer to watch it from home with my younger brother who ropes me into seeing the game. He loves football along with the rest of the population.

And the team captain is the star of every winning game.

This leads to now. Where the team captain is standing on my doorstep on a random Saturday afternoon. He is dressed in grey sweats and a red school T-shirt as if he needs to remind anyone where he goes to school. There is only one high school in this town, but many in the surrounding districts. A black backpack was slung over his broad shoulder.

"Hey, Marly."

He sticks it out and I shake it. Everyone in this town knows everyone else and their business.

"Hey John, can I help you?"

"Yeah actually." He runs his hand through his blonde hair, "I need to help to study for the biology test and you get the best grades in the class. I'm-er- not that great at bio and need to pass this test."

"So you are asking me to tutor you? In biology?"

"Um, yes. Is that alright? Only if you want to, I don't want to intrude."

"Yeah, I'm free. Come on in. We can study in the living room. Just let me tell my mom."

"Great Thanks!"

I led him to the leather couch and once he was set up, I fetched my biology notebook from my school bag in my room down the hall. I stopped in the kitchen where Mom was making Charlie, who was playing with dinosaur figurines at the table, lunch.

"Hey Mom, John is here. I am helping him study for a biology test."

"John as in John Smith?"

"The quarterback!?"Charlie grinned, showing off his missing tooth.

"Yep."

"Oh! He is nice. I saw him the other day working the register at the general store!"

"Mom. " I drawled out the mom so it was obvious I was ending the conversation to prevent what would ensue.

As I walked out of the kitchen, I could hear the conversation as it continued in my absence:

"He did an amazing throw last Sunday! Can I meet him?!"

"Let's leave them alone for a little bit, Sugar."

I could practically see the wink Mom gave my younger brother.

I sat opposite John on the matching leather recliner. He was organizing the material needed for the test.

"Ok, so this test is covering our unit on DNA replication, mRNA transcription, and amino acid translation, as well as the parts of the molecules, made and organelles forming the final product. Let's start with anything you know you don't understand, so we make sure we go over it."

"Okay, so, I don't understand the tRNA and anticodons. The process and structure confuse me every time."

"Got it." I pointed to a diagram I drew in my notes, "So the tRNA is a complementary strand to mRNA. It collects the correct amino acids for the desired protein that is coded in the mRNA"

********************

The lemonade was cool against my dry throat. The Texas heat beat down on us as we took a break on the back porch of my one-story home.

I tried to fill the awkward silence, "So, John, how is the situation with Celine?"

"Oh. It's fine. I wish she would just respect my decision so we can go our separate ways. I never realized she was so mean and I didn't want to string her along as I knew it wasn't going anywhere."

I snorted at the 'mean' comment.

"Yeah, and I wish the dumb bet was off."

"What bet?"

"You haven't heard?" he shook his head.

"Some of the guys, including your friends on the team, decided I was a mystery prize, and the first person to date me wins. So guys keep asking me out even though I've told everyone no, kinda like you and Celine. I just don't want to date any of them."

"That's just wrong." he pressed his lips together as he took in the information.

My eyes widened as pieces flew together. What if...we could solve both of our romance problems at once. Kill two birds with one stone as Mom says.

"Ok, this is kind of crazy, but hear me out."

"I'm a teenager, I live for crazy. Shoot." John joked.

"What if we were to fake a relationship. It would show Celine you moved on and the dumb contest would finally end. It's a win-win."

He contemplated as I continued, "It wouldn't be forever, just long enough for people to stop breathing down our necks. A plus, you would get some peace from the other girls for a while."

"That offer is so tempting" he furrowed his brows, "It would have to be not too long that people suggest that we are really into each other or start lasting rumors, so less than a month, but long enough to show everyone it is real, so over a week."

"Fifteen days. I will give you fifteen days of a fake romance, but no kissing, only hand-holding is acceptable."

He held out his hand and we both smiled as I shook it, "Deal."

******************************

The following Monday, after a win at the football game yesterday, John and I waltzed into the school. He had an arm draped around my waist.

Students immediately turned to their friends to gossip as soon as we passed. Their whispers and stares followed us through the halls. Celine's jaw dropped to the collar of her tight cheer uniform as we passed her. The guys snickered and moped about losing any form of contest.

Fourteen more days to go.

Thank you for reading this chapter! I usually don't write romance, but @Thisisnotakidsshow challenged me to do a romance short story. I tried my best to keep the rating PG and not exceed any boundaries. If anything is found to be offensive to anyone please contact me and I will change it immediately. If you see any mistakes, please don't hesitate to correct me. Thanks again!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

744 140 27
First Book! Kind of Hasty but hope you enjoy!
38 5 13
You know what we say, couldn't mention their name until we find their dark side. Narrator: me WARNING: The following scenarios in this story may co...
13.9K 161 18
I wrote some short stories out of enjoyment. None are connected in any way. Some are dark, others have suicidal actions and thoughts, a few deal with...
259 1 10
**WARNING-THESE STORIES ARE A LIL TWISTED NOT MEANT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART** A good mix of short horror stories varying from paranormal to just creep...