This Unconventional Kind of L...

Bởi NikkiBLourie

Janessa Iro isn't what one would consider normal. She suffers from narcolepsy. Fiercely sheltered by her pa... Xem Thêm

Chapter 1: Here's the Situation
Chapter 2: The New Assistant
Chapter 3: Sorting Out Emotions
Chapter 4: Stand Your Ground
Chapter 5: A Sense of Normalcy
Chapter 6: Learning to Fight
Chapter 7: When Feelings Start Brewing
Chapter 8: When Competition Arrives
Chapter 9: What Chaos Feels Like
Chapter 10: Opening Up
Chapter 11: The Law of Attraction
Chapter 12: When it All Begins
Chapter 13: Start the Preparations
Chapter 15: All Good Things
Chapter 16: Making Proper Changes
Chapter 17: Breaking Down Walls
Chapter 18: A Little Problem Solving
Chapter 19: Overcoming Fear
Chapter 20: Overwhelming Success
Chapter 21: A Step Closer to Forever
Chapter 22: What Love Looks Like
Chapter 23: Living Again

Chapter 14: The Perfect Romance

83 7 10
Bởi NikkiBLourie

Copyright © 2020, Nikki B. Lourie if you are reading this work on any other domain than Wattpad, it has been plagiarized.

Janessa admired her hair for the hundredth time in the mirror. She looked beautiful and felt beautiful. Her Senegalese twists stopped in the middle of her back and matched well with her natural hair color. They swung freely whenever she moved and she loved it. When she was younger and often saw the other little black girls her age with their platted hair and pretty bows, she was jealous. She wanted to have pretty hair bows and beads. Her mother never took the time to do her hair so intricately. She often sported a ponytail or a French braid.

Now she had the opportunity to relive her childhood. Granted she had gotten the pretty gold braid ornaments instead of beads, but she still loved her look nonetheless. Wrapping half of her hair up into a bun, she ambled out of her room in search of Lana. They had gone to the nail salon yesterday and all that Janessa could say was that having fake nails was an experience. Her fingers felt awkward and heavy. Writing with longer than usual nails was an odd task. Not to mention typing was a feat in itself. She had complained to Lana about it earlier and was reassured that on her next visit she could get gel polish on her own nails.

Janessa liked that idea more. She kept her own nails long and well-trimmed. She had never painted them before because her mother never wore nail polish and was often rushing off to perform more surgeries, but she had often longed to try. By the time she had become an adult, she was too preoccupied with sneaking out of the house than running into a local drug store to buy nail art. This was another part of her childhood that she had missed out on. Being able to enjoy it in her adulthood was just as nice. Today they would be delighting in a spa day before her date tomorrow. She was just as excited.

"I'm ready," Janessa announced with her arms up in the air. Leslie entered the kitchen and grabbed an apple before continuing on his way. Usually, she would have followed after him and see what he was up to, but the sound of his harp made her smile. Since planning his trip to Vienna, Leslie had been practicing incessantly. His hard work was paying off. He sounded even better each and every time he played.

"Come let us go," Lana told her, ushering her towards the door. The trip to the spa didn't take too long. Lana filled her in on the ins and outs of what to expect. By the time they arrived for their appointment, Janessa was more than ready for her massage. They would be sharing a room which made her feel at ease about her new venture.

"Do we have to get completely undressed?" she inquired once they made it to their private room.

"Yes, but don't worry, you'll have a towel around you and you'll be lying on your stomach," Lana explained. They undressed and prepared for their massage therapists to enter the room both of them climbing onto the massage table and patiently waiting.

"Hello, I'm Howard and I will be your masseuse for the evening," Janessa heard by her left shoulder.

Her eyes bulged as large hands firmly gripped her shoulders and upper back. Her eyes darted to Lana who was thoroughly enjoying her massage. Her heart sank thinking about ruining the experience for her friend. She squeezed her eyes shut in an effort to drown out her discomfort. Men gave women massages all the time. This was normal. Besides, it wasn't as if Lana was privy to her past or knew that she felt wary around men. Telling Lana of her sordid story never crossed her mind, but the thought of doing so and being seen differently made her think twice about it.

Lana turned her head to the side to check on Janessa and frowned. She did not appear to be relishing this experience. As a matter of fact, she was too tense for someone who was supposed to be getting relaxed from a day of pampering. She couldn't have a pleasurable time if Janessa wasn't sharing the sentiment. Tapping her masseuse, Maxwell, on the hand for him to stop, she sat up and waved for him and his companion to follow her to the door.

"Gentlemen, there is no doubt that you two are doing an amazing job, but my daughter-in-law is experiencing some physical discomfort. Do you mind if we ask for two women to come and tend to us? A softer touch may help her feel better," Lana politely requested.

Janessa sat up somewhat confused. What were they talking about? Where were the masseuses going? She watched them nod in understanding and finally leave the room. Lana offered her a soft smile as she sat beside her and gently squeezed her hand. "Janessa, you don't have to say anything unless you want to, but just know that I understand. I'm sorry for putting you in a tough spot."

Her bottom lip quivered as their eyes met. Before she could stop herself, she was boohooing in Lana's arms and allowing her to pat her back. "Thank you."

The door to their room opened revealing two female massage therapists. Janessa stretched out once more on the massage table determined to have a good time with Lana. The unease she first experienced was gone and she was able to enjoy the experience with Lana. Once their hour was up, they both had a seaweed aloe vera wrap applied to their arms and legs while they napped for thirty minutes.

"Sweetheart, it's time to wake up," Lana whispered, patting her back again. She smiled at how angelic Janessa appeared. Maybe she should let her sleep a little longer.

Janessa stretched herself awake and greeted her friend with a soft sigh. "I needed that." It felt good to fall asleep naturally without the help of an episode.

"Everyone should experience a day of pampering," Lana agreed. We're going to get this seaweed wrap removed and then head to the sauna. Once we're done, we'll do our facials and grab a bite to eat."

"Sounds like a plan."

"Will you stop practicing and come get some food," Raymond begged Leslie for the umpteenth time.

Frustrated, Leslie's hands dropped down to his sides before he completely lifted his head in his companion's direction. "Why do you insist on torturing me?"

Despite his comment, Leslie followed Raymond into the kitchen where they ate honey glazed wings, fresh-baked yeast rolls, and crisp celery and carrots with a ranch dip. His empty stomach sang out in approval, but he remained quiet, intent on eating his food before Ray said anything. He wasn't sure, but he felt like he was being watched.

Raymond's eyes continuously wandered to Leslie waiting for him to spark up a conversation that never happened. "Fine, since you insist," he started, slapping the kitchen table.

"Huh?"

"Are you ready for your date tomorrow?"

Leslie chuckled, "Yea, more than ready. You've helped me choose a nice venue and an outfit. Thank you."

"No need to thank me," Raymond waved him off. "It was fun hanging out with you. Plus, I promised to take you to my home boy's restaurant. I won't be going with you, but this way I've kept my word and you'll have the pleasure of eating great food with a beautiful woman."

His cheeks flushed thinking about having an intimate dinner with Janessa. "She is quite beautiful, isn't she?"

Raymond like the dreamy look in his friend's eyes; for some reason it made him feel all bubbly inside. "Yea, you two make a nice couple." Leslie snorted his disbelief and rolled his eyes. "I'm dead serious!"

"Whatever," he muttered, polishing off another wing before gulping down a large drink of cold water.

"Leslie, do you not know how attractive you are? Janessa complains about all of the women who throw themselves at you all the time."

She complained about women hitting on him? Women hit on him? He cleared his throat, his cheeks burning like an open flame. "What good is that going to do me? The last time I saw my reflection I was a child. How am I supposed to know what I look like now as an adult?"

"You don't touch your own face?"

Shrugging his shoulder, he buttered a roll and thoughtfully took a bite. "I mean, yea, I wash my face...sometimes I give myself a nice trim..."

"Trim?" Raymond snorted, looking at Leslie's full beard. With his long, curly hair and his thick beard, even Raymond knew that women were practically falling all over this man for attention. He was handsome.

"I can shave once in a while if I really want to. I just prefer to have a beard. It keeps my face warm and I think people take me seriously," Leslie reasoned with another shrug. "Besides, what good do looks do me? It doesn't change my situation none."

"Was it difficult growing up blind?"

"I used to get bullied a lot when I initially went blind. I would often return home in tears. My mother would often show me tough love. It was a shock to me because my mother had always been so loving and kind but at times she seemed harsh toward me. She made me practice using my cane when I absolutely hated it. She would make me count my steps from my bedroom to the kitchen or pace the house. She would walk the grounds of the school with me and make me memorize the distance. I hated my mother at times, but she didn't want me to be blind just because I was blind. I just knew I was going to run away from home if she kept it up.

"Then one night I had a bad dream. I fumbled my way to my parents' room and I overheard my parents talking about some of the things the other parents were saying about my condition. They blamed my parents for what happened to me which was completely ridiculous. But hearing my parents cry about my mistreatment made it real for me that I couldn't go back to the little boy I once used to be. I stopped crying and started learning to be more independent. I took my mother's lessons to heart and now...let's just say I can see clearly without the use of my eyes."

Raymond agreed. At times he wondered how Leslie knew where certain objects were or which room he was in. To think that Lana had shown so much tough love to her little boy who needed her when she was such a loving woman. It must have been hard on both of them.

"So yea, at times it was difficult growing up, but my mother was there with me every step of the way. She made it feel as easy as breathing."

"Well, I want you to have a fun date with Janessa. I'll make a nice home-cooked meal for Lana and take her to the home theater to watch a film. It'll be a mother-son date," he chuckled. "It's something I've always wanted to do with my mother if she were still alive."

"I'm sorry for your loss." Leslie frowned, thinking about losing his mother.

"It's okay. She passed away from birth complications, but I had a great father and grandparents who doted on me. My dad told me that my mother loved food. She enjoyed trying new cuisine and trying to create different twists on her favorites. Cooking makes me feel closer to her. It's like she's watching me from above with a smile on her face every time my food makes someone happy."

Leslie grinned imaging the smile on Raymond's mother's face. She must be a truly cheerful person because his food definitely made them happy. "Have as many mother-son dates with my mother as you'd like. She has a lot of love to go around."

"Hi guys, what are you doing?" Janessa greeted, grinning from ear to ear. "Are those wings?! I want some!"

"Help yourself," Raymond offered, standing to his feet to acknowledge their presence.

"I think I will too," Lana salivated. Although they had eaten during their spa day, the smell of Raymond's cooking was overwhelming. Her greedy stomach had rumbled as soon as she had stepped foot over the threshold.

"Hi Leslie," Janessa shyly greeted.

"Beauty," he softly replied, listening for her to join him at the table. She didn't disappoint and he smiled as their shoulders accidentally touched. "How was your spa treatment?"

"Wonderful."

"Should we leave them alone? I feel like we're intruding," Raymond told Lana.

She quickly hushed him, gently patting his arm while pretending not to be gawking at them. "Just enjoy the show. We're watching them fall in love," she gushed, pinching his cheek. "Once I'm done with them it'll be your turn."

Raymond guffawed, drawing the duo's attention. "Sorry," he mouthed to Lana. She shrugged, standing to her feet and pulling him along with her. "Goodnight children."

"Night Mother."

"Night."

"Don't stay up too late. You need your beauty sleep for your date tomorrow," Lana teased, disappearing from the kitchen.

"Ignore her," Leslie smiled.

"So then I don't need my beauty sleep?" Janessa teased, inclining her head to the side. She watched his cheeks flush as his plump lips slightly parted to release a huff.

"You're already so beautiful..."

She leaned closer with a smile on her lips and said, "How would you know what I look like? You haven't touched me yet."

She was right. He had touched Raymond's face, but in spite of all the time he spent working beside her or just talking to her, he still didn't dare to touch her. Without the help of his hands, he knew that Janessa was beautiful. He didn't need proof. "Beauty, everything you do is beautiful."

Their hands link in her lap and Janessa accepted the little currents of electricity he always caused to course through her body whenever they had some form of skinship. It was terribly easy for him to leave her speechless. What was she to do with this man? "If you've finished teasing me," he softly stated. "Let's eat and call it a night."

"Okay."

"Okay."

The next morning Leslie woke up with an overwhelming sense of rightness. Janessa was still sleeping with her head on his chest and the soft sound of her breathing was like music to his ears. Today was the day of their date and he was more than ready. Since asking her, he had thought of over twenty scenarios on how it would all take place.

He wanted to pull out her chair and hand her a dinner napkin. They would enjoy a nice romantic meal together and linger in the restaurant exchanging flirtatious banter before ordering dessert. Hand in hand, they would leave the establishment after he paid the bill, and he would take her to the large water fountain. Raymond had ensured him that it would be the perfect place to sit at night and look up at the dark, night sky. He sighed from the thought of it all.

He wanted her to have a memorable night. He wanted her to go to sleep thinking about their date and wake up reliving it. His toes wiggled anxiously. If only the day would fly by. Mentally assessing his schedule, Leslie smiled. He had a busy day, but his wish would be granted. By the time he had finished with his appointments, it would be time to prepare for the date.

Janessa often talked about their chauffeur Parker and his wife. He knew that she was excited about making a new friend. Yesterday while she and his mother were off on their spa day, he had arranged for Parker's wife to accompany Janessa and his mother to go dress shopping on him. He had decided to give her the day off and to work from home virtually. It was an easier setup for him and he needn't worry about Janessa trying to find a last-minute replacement.

"What are you smiling about?" she questioned. Sleep made her voice sounded even more wonderful. He could hear her own smile in her voice which made him grin from ear to ear.

"I'm thinking about tonight."

Unable to help herself, Janessa leaned up and gently kissed his lips. His smile shone even brighter. "I couldn't help myself."

Flushed, Leslie cleared his throat, "It's all right." They sat up in bed together and Janessa stretched away the rest of her remaining cobwebs. "Go have some fun. I'll have a chauffeur escort you to our restaurant."

"But what about work?" Janessa protested.

"Go have fun. Mother will be waiting for you." With a pat on her knee, he exited her bed and made his way out of her room. He completed his morning rituals and waved the two women off to enjoy a day of shopping starting with breakfast at his mother's favorite diner. With them gone, Leslie was able to focus on his work. His mother would have found more than one way to disturb his efforts and with Janessa being so close by, he would have distracted himself with excuses to bother her.

He ate his breakfast and prepared for his virtual lectures. He had two in the morning and a virtual speaking engagement in the afternoon. Afterward, he needed to practice a new piece he had composed for the concourse in Vienna. He would double-check his schedule on his downtime and rearrange a few programs in order to ensure more practice time.

Raymond was a helpful distraction, but most of the day he kept quiet and watched Leslie share his knowledge on being a harpist. Like Janessa told him, Leslie had the hands of an angel. He loved listening to him play. Twice he interrupted him, once for lunch and the second time to inform him it was time to start preparing for his date. Leslie had been so engrossed in his work that he was shocked the day had really flown by so quickly.

He sent a chauffeur to wait for Janessa and his mother after learning their location and finally went off to get dressed. In the shower, he washed and deep-conditioned his hair. He wanted to smell masculine and refreshing for Janessa. He applied moisturizing curl retainer and left his hair to air dry while he carefully ironed his outfit for the night. Keeping Raymond calm was a whole other task. He had never seen Leslie press his clothing before and nearly had a conniption.

He dressed, regarding Raymond smugly as if to say, "I can do it all by myself." Raymond adjusted his tie and applied light cologne which he promised Janessa would adore. Leslie gave himself a mental pep talk to alleviate his growing nervousness. He was more at ease in the planning stage of their date, but now that they would be alone together, his fears were starting to eat him alive.

"You look handsome. Janessa's jaw will drop once she sees you," Raymond reassured him. "Get out of your head." He handed him his collapsible cane and pat him on the back as they walked to the front door together. "I've already told Jean-Pierre that you're my esteemed guest. He has a private booth for you. Take things as slowly as you'd like, but you better not leave that restaurant without eating dessert. J.P.'s tarts are so good they'll make you wanna slap yo mama."

Leslie laughed, finally feeling at ease. "I'll see you later, Raymond. Have fun with Mother."

"I will," Raymond called after him, wiping away a fake tear as he watched his friend leave the house.

The car ride to the restaurant was filled with pleasant humming. He double-checked his pocket for his wallet and his cane, patting the contents as if that would make it more real to him. The dividing window cruised down as the car began to slow. "Sir, we've arrived."

"Thank you, Henry." Grabbing his wallet, he caressed the crisp bills until he arrived at the opposite end. Counting backward, he removed three crisp hundred dollar bills and handed them to his driver. "Will you give us at least an hour before you come back? Go and have some fun."

Henry looked at the money in surprise then back at Leslie. Did he mean to give him three hundred dollars? "Sir—"

"I meant to do it," Leslie answered before the question could be asked. He had a nice little system in his wallet. He made sure that he always had five of every bill and he kept them in increasing order to ensure that he chose the correct one. Confidently, he made his way inside of the restaurant and the hostess, having been forewarned that he was an important guest, quickly led him in the direction of his private table.

"Excuse me, young lady, were you able to acquire the three dozen peonies I requested?" he asked.

"Yes, sir, everything is exactly how you requested."

"Thank you," he smiled gratefully. The scent of the fresh flowers wafted to his nostrils before he sat down. Peonies were usually downplayed because of roses, but they represented so many good things including a prosperous romance and a happy life. He wanted his relationship with Janessa to continue to build and grow, leading to a successful courtship and eventually marriage. He wanted to make her a happy, beautiful, blushing bride.

"Leslie, this is beautiful," Janessa gushed, her eyes instantly tearing up from the beautiful pink peonies to the chilling bottle of rosé and the glistening silver candelabra in the center of their table. She watched him stand and hold out his hand to her which she eagerly grasped. His soft lips blessed the back of her hand and Janessa leaned in for a hug.

They deeply inhaled each other's scent, lingering a bit in their hug before Leslie assisted her to her seat. Unfortunately, the restaurant didn't have braille, but Chef Jean-Pierre personally came to their table to see about them. His restaurant was French fusion and though Leslie could speak French, he surmised that Janessa couldn't do so. He asked the chef to make a thoughtful selection for them and sipped on wine while munching on a buttered baguette while the executive chef served them tableside.

Janessa loved the table-side service. The chef gave them little tastes of what was to come. She learned that in French it was called a un goûter. Leslie was a charmer. He catered to her emotionally, physically, and mentally. Though he was quick to blush, he didn't mind being affectionate. He would hold her hand or gently squeeze her arm. Sometimes when his head was turned in her direction, Janessa felt as if he was really seeing her.

They discussed anything and everything and the time slowly drifted by until their main course and dessert ended. It was as if they were in their own little world and nothing could break them out of it. "I was very nervous because this is my first date," Leslie confessed, taking Janessa's arm and guiding her toward the water fountain.

"Me too. It's crazy how we're so much...alike..."

"What's wrong?" he furrowed his eyebrows hoping that she was still enjoying herself.

"This fountain is amazing...and huge. Do you hear that? It sounds like summer rain. Do you smell that? Like chlorine at the pool." She took his hand and pulled him along gently until they were sitting on the circular stone bench around the fountain. "This fountain reminds me of you."

"Really?"

"Yea. The statue is a lion standing on hind legs with his mouth open in a roar. Like you, he's tall and proud, very fierce. The perfect representation of protection and strength just like you are to me. Every once in a while the colored lights right beneath the surface will reflect a pale blue, a soft red, or a mellow yellow. And like you, I'm still discovering the many colors of you. What makes you smile, what worries you, what melts your heart. And although at times you may appear as hard as stone, your love, like the waters gushing forth from its mouth, continuously flows and pours out all over those you adore—all over me until I feel surrounded and I'm drowned in the sound, the feel, the sight, and the smell of yo—umh."

His lips felt perfect. He tasted like the chocolate raspberry tart they just had for dessert. They fumbled a bit with their kiss, both being very inexperienced, but once they found their rhythm chemistry quickly took over. He didn't know how he had managed to kiss her. Before he could realize that he was gripping her face and pulling her closer, it was already too late. He tested the waters, nibbling on her bottom lip, suckling on the tip of her tongue, swallowing up her sighs until neither of them could breathe anymore.

He knew now with a certainty that he loved her. Inexplicably, unequivocally, irrationally he loved her.

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

186K 11K 48
*COMPLETED* Fresh out of foster care Maya Scott is finally ready to live life on her own terms, she has her own apartment, a job that she loves, and...
836 21 19
Ironically the one time Brielle tries to commit to a man for the long haul, he both cheats on her, rips open a terribly deep emotional wound and leav...
112K 7.1K 26
[The Fiction Awards 2020 Winner in Diverse Fiction!] Jesse is paralyzed from his waist down, but he makes sure he gets what he wants, for he has alre...
BEYOND Bởi Mandy

Lãng mạn

3.4K 397 39
He'd gone beyond his player ways for her. She'd grown beyond her traumatic past for him. Together, their love was beyond. Until one fatal accident. _...