Angelfall (Skyfall #2)

Door marcyswales17

"Oh what an adventure it would be to die..." Meer

Ch.1 Lover
Ch.2 Play Along
Ch. Baklava
Ch.5 Green with Envy
Ch.6 The Human Brain
Ch. 7 Innocence
Ch.8 Onions
Ch.9 Sounds
Ch.10 Good Girls
Ch.11 Play the System
Ch.12 All things nice
Ch.13 Little Fairy
Ch. 14 Take me home
CH.15 Gifts
Ch.16 Be Nice!
Ch.17 A family Effort
Ch.18 Ruby Red
Ch.19 Trust in me
Ch.20 Leave a message
Ch.21 No cream, one sugar
Ch.22 Autura
Ch.23 Bees and Honey
Ch.24 Just a drop
Ch.25 The night changes
Ch.26 And there she was...
Ch.27 Puzzle Pieces
Ch.28 Strangers
Ch. 29 Thunder
Ch.30 Vestal
Ch. 31 Clay Doll
Ch.32 Caveman
Ch. 33 Cry me a river
Ch.34 Introductions
Ch.35 Fresh start and flowers
Ch.36 Heart to heart
Ch. 37 Time out
Ch.38 Soul's Solace
Ch.39 Like it's your last day
Ch.40 Promises of Forever
Ch.41 Bath time
Epilogue

Ch. 4 Undress

6.2K 548 190
Door marcyswales17

Chapter 4

Kiara had no concept of time. She floated in and out of sleep as her body was moved around from place to place. In desperation she tried to search for Killian in her dreams but he always seemed to be just out of reach.

After sometime, her ears began to pick up sounds of hushed voices. They grew louder and louder until it felt as if she laid in the middle of a bar table, surrounded by many hands that moved all at once.

Someone lifted her neck and she felt the pressure around her head lessen. She still couldn't feel her legs and the needle that had been placed in her arm earlier was beginning to itch.

"Good morning, Kiara," Dr. Verma's voice came through all the other sounds.

Kiara slowly opened her eyes. Her throat was as dry as the desert. She could feel her lips, stuck to each other. Her body had no strength to move anything other than her eyes.

"We're giving you some fluids," Verma explained.

Kiara turned her head and found an IV tube in her arm.

"We've started you on Prenatal vitamins," Verma leaned over and checked Kiara's eyes.

"Why are you telling me all this?" Kiara managed to ask.

"Because we want you to know that we mean no harm," Verma said. She had a neck brace on along with a sling that she rested her arm inside. "We want to take care of you and your baby."

"What do you want from me?" Kiara asked, feeling her body slowly wake up as the fluids in the IV rushed into her body.

"We just want to know how your brain works," Dr. Verma said.

"What?" Kiara asked in confusion.

"We want to study your brain waves," Dr. Verma pulled up a stool and took a seat beside the bed.

For any outsider, the room resembled a polished high tech hospital. It was kept in peak condition as if only the elite could afford to stay in such luxury during their recovery.

But the closer one got, the more they noticed how wrong everything was.

For example, the chains around Kiara's ankles that were hidden under the bed. Or the two way mirror that hung across from her. And not to mention the lack of windows.

"You have a very special mind," Dr. Verma said. "We want to see your brain activities when you...."

Kiara narrowed her eyes, "when I take lives?"

"Some people think magic and science are two different things," Verma smiled slowly. She looked down at her hand as her words reached Kiara's ears. "We believe they're one and the same."

"They're really not," Kiara shook her head.

"What can magic do that science can't?" Verma tilted her head and lifted her lids. "Maybe at times we are limited by technology and resources. But everything magic can do, science can replicate."

"Science can't bring back the dead?"

"Can't we?" Dr. Verma laughed. "Doctors all over the world save people from the hands of death daily."

"You really can't save them when Killian or I decide they have to go."

"Maybe we can't...." Verma paused. "Yet."

Kiara narrowed her eyes, "What do you mean?"

Dr. Verma stared into Kiara's brown eyes. She had a strange smile on her lips as a nurse in the room fussed around and checked all the wires placed all over Kiara's body.

"You want to see how my brain works because you want to stop death?" Kiara felt the words form in her head as she stared at the woman.

"No, of course not," Dr. Verma shook her head. "We do not want to stop death. We need you. To keep balance on Earth."

"Then what do you want?"

"We want to stop violent death."

"What?" Kiara was baffled by the woman spinning the situation.

"There is no need for violent death," Verma said. "Just imagine a world where everyone could die in peace."

"Yes, it's beautiful but that's not how the world works,"

"Says who?" Verma asked. "The gods?"

"Yes!" Kiara tried to sit up. "The cosmos! The universe! Nature!"

"You can not present any argument that justifies a violent death for anyone."

"Criminals," Kiara argued. "Psychopaths."

"Innocent children in war torn countries, young families in car accidents, people caught in the wrong place at the wrong time," Dr. Verma shook her head.

"So you want to get rid of me?" Kiara felt her pulse quicken.

"No, no," Verma let out a long breath. She paused for a few seconds and tried to compose herself. "We want to help you...by eliminating violent death. We want to separate it from you. You can go on living your life."

"You want to...eliminate.....death," Kiara wondered if she had hit her head. "Are you....are you guys okay? Do you realize that is not something you can do or control? You are not gods! Not even the gods can control this!"

"Why can't we try?" Dr. Verma's eyes lit up. "There is no harm in trying. If we succeed you get to go back to your old life and live without this responsibility."

"And if you don't?"

Dr. Verma took in a long deep breath, "There have been countless times when people said science couldn't do something. They thought man could never reach the moon, but look at us now."

"This is beyond the moon!" Kiara yelled in frustration. "This is magic beyond your understanding and control. I don't think you people have any idea where to even start. Do not mess with things you do not understand."

"Maybe that's precisely why we need to study you," a voice suddenly said.

Kiara's head turned towards the door. Her head spun for a few seconds due to the lack of energy in her body before her gaze landed on a tall man with black and silver hair. He had hard lines on his face that seemed to really stand out on his forehead. He stood with his feet shoulder width apart and his arms folded over his chest. For a man who seemed to be in his late forties, he was well built. His arms bulged under his shirt as his eyes narrowed.

"Kiara, this is Commander Bram," Dr. Verma said. "He takes care of all operations on this base."

"We're on a base?" Kiara arched a brow as a slither of hope began to creep into her heart.

"A base Ares won't find," Bram crushed the slice of hope. "No one....not even your father or Zeus himself can find this base."

"Don't be so sure about that," Kiara said. She wasn't going to let them mess with her. "When my family gets here...."

"Kiara," Dr. Verma frowned. "Once again, we mean you no harm."

"No harm as long as you cooperate," Bram added.

"And if I don't?" Kiara looked at the man. "Your idea is stupid and baseless. It makes no sense."

"That's what people always say when science proposes a new theory," Dr. Verma said gently.

"This is insane! I do not want any part of it," Kiara shouted. "No, you can not study my brain activities. You can not hold me here against my will."

"Then leave."

Kiara narrowed her eyes and looked at Bram.

"Go ahead," the man said. "You're thinking about killing me, aren't you?"

"Commander...." Dr. Verma slowly rose from her seat.

"We're already monitoring your brain," Bram didn't look away from Kiara. "Kill me and we have more data. The more you kill here, the more data we have. The project won't stop if I'm not around."

"I can kill everyone on this base," Kiara challenged.

"Then how do you get out of your chains?" Bram raised a brow. "If everyone on this base is dead, who will release you?"

"You'll be surprised at what people are willing to do when death is standing in front of them," Kiara said through her teeth.

"We're on an island," Bram smiled. "Surrounded by hundreds of miles of ocean. No one can teleport in or out of here."

"You're really over confident," Kiara tilted her head. "That will be your biggest downfall."

"Kiara..." Dr. Verma took a small step forward. "Think about your baby. You can not exert that kind of strength without harming your baby."

"My baby will be fine!" Kiara snapped. "You must truly be crazy if you think I will ever let any harm come to my child."

"Do you really want to test that theory?" Bram asked.

"It's not a theory," Kiara felt her skin begin to heat up.

"We have hundreds of people on this base," Bram motioned with his hand. "Have you ever killed that many at once?"

"There's always a first time for everything."

"Kiara, please," Dr. Verma took another step forward. "We truly mean no ha-"

In a blink of an eye, Dr. Verma's head twisted backwards as the shocking sound of all the bones on her neck snapping at once like bubble wrap echoed through the room. The woman let out one last gasp as her limp body hit the floor like a plank.

Bram immediately pulled out a small remote the size of a car key and held it up in the air as he spotted Kiara's gold eyes.

"Stop," he said. "Look at your stomach."

Kiara didn't do as he asked. She glared at him as her eyes began to burn and the energy around his body vibrated.

"I pressed this button and it will release a high voltage shock wave," Bram said. "We have you wired, Kiara. One button and your child will pay the price."

"You're sick in the head," Kiara said.

She didn't wait for the man as her mind grabbed onto the waves of energy around his hand. His fingers gripped the remote and he pressed down on the small red button.

At the very last second, Kiara tugged with her mind and pulled his thumb off.

But she wasn't fast enough.

Bram's finger had been on the button for half a second. Half a second was all it took for Kiara to feel a soul wrenching shock crawl over her skin as if she had been struck by Zeus' lightning. Her focus shifted as her lower back screamed in pain and she felt her body shudder.

The moment's distraction was all it took for Bram to jump out of the room and vanish from Kiara's sight. He left her gasping in pain as she placed her heavy hand over her stomach.

Hot tears began to roll down her face as she felt warm blood trickle down her legs. The thin hospital gown she wore soaked up the blood as she scrambled to do something....anything...

No, no, no, Kiara cried as her mind began to go over the edge of sanity.

Why had she done that? Why had she tested Bram's words? If anything happened to her baby...

"Kiara," Bram's voice suddenly came over the loudspeaker.

Kiara looked up, her face stained with tears and clouded with hints of fear. Her toes still buzzed with the aftershock of the blast and she was beginning to taste blood in the back of her throat.

"I'm going to send in someone to help you," Bram announced. "Do not kill them. If you want your baby to be born, you're going to cooperate."

Kiara wanted to scream. She shielded her belly with both her arms as she fell sideways onto the bed. Never had her heart worked so hard to keep her going. All the energy and anger left her body, leaving behind a scared little girl who just wanted her baby to be safe.

A second passed as Kiara stared at the door Bram had slammed shut. She held her breath and kept herself from gagging at the taste of blood as the door knob slowly turned. A woman, dressed in green crumbs and a tropical bandana around her short hair hesitated at the entrance.

Her eyes met Kiara for a brief second before she looked to the side at someone in the hall. Kiara's bottom lip began to quiver as more hot tears rolled down her face. She could see the woman hesitating to come in. Dr. Verma's body lay between them and any sane human would think twice before entering into a room with Kiara.

But Kiara needed help. Not for herself but for her child. Her heart twisted with fear as she felt the warm blood between her legs. With desperation, she let out a small sob and lifted her hand. The woman in the green scrubs immediately stepped back in fright.

Kiara let out another sob.

My baby....not my baby...

"Help..." she said, her voice so small she wasn't sure if the woman heard. "Please....help me..."

_________________________

Nora stood in the middle of the office as Hayden moved around, shoving things into a small duffle bag. He grabbed stuff off the bookshelves, his desk, the closet...he was moving so fast Nora couldn't see what he was even taking with him.

"Do you need help?" she asked, not knowing what to do or say.

"No, but thank you," Hayden muttered.

"So....can I leave?"

"Yes," Hayden nodded.

"Okay, great," Nora took a small step back. "Thanks. Have a safe trip."

"Thank you," Hayden didn't even bother looking up as he flipped through a small leather bound book he had pulled off the shelf.

Nora quickly grabbed her bag and turned towards the door. She glared at the boxes of sweets one last time before shaking her head and biting down on her tongue.

Don't say anything, don't say anything, don't say anything. I hope he drowns in the atlantic. Don't say anything, Nora chanted in her head.

Just as she reached the office door, the knob turned on it's one. For half a second Nora's eyes widened as she wondered if she was suddenly gifted with telekinesis. But just then, Thea, the blonde from earlier, poked her head into the office and smiled.

"Hayden, Clare wants to see you," she announced.

"Give me a second," Hayden said, tucking the book into his back pocket.

Thea nodded as she pushed the door open and took a small step inside. Her beautiful almond shaped eyes landed on Nora and the smile on her face brightened.

"Hi, we haven't met yet," Thea held out her hand. "I'm Thea, Apollo's daughter."

"I'm Nora..." Nora took the girl's hand. "The accountant's daughter..."

Thea let out a melodious laugh. Her eyes shimmered and the light from the lamp caught her in all the right places on her face. Nora couldn't look away.

"Jesus," she gasped. "It's like you're photoshopped. What highlighter do you wear?"

"I'm not wearing any highlighter," Thea shook her head.

"So the light just bends for you like that?" Nora stared in awe.

"She's Apollo's daughter," Hayden said, walking up to stand behind Nora. "Even the sun bows to her."

Thea immediately blushed, making her perfect face become even more flawless with the rosy hue. Her thick blonde hair hung around her face like a glossy mane.

"An angel..." Nora couldn't look away.

"Um..." Thea tucked her hair behind her ears, feeling extremely coy. "Thank you."

"Clare's office, right?" Hayden asked, moving his bag from one hand to the other.

"Yes," Thea nodded. "She wants you to wake up Killian and have him ready. And then something else."

"Got it," Hayden said as he squeezed past the two girls and stepped out into the hall. "Nora?"

"Yes?" Nora looked away from Thea.

"I thought you were on your way home?"

"Right," Nora nodded. "Home."

Hayden didn't reply as the girls walked out of the office. He began to head towards Killian's room with them following behind.

Nora watched Thea from the corner of her eyes. She took notes on how the girl's long legs carried her gracefully, as if she was floating on air. Some people just had all the luck...

Thea's beauty was so distracting that Nora had no idea when Hayden had stopped in front of her. She ran straight into him, crushing her nose on his hard back. Instantly, she let out a curse as sharp pain shot through her nose, making her eyes water.

"What on Earth did god use to make you?" she complained, holding her nose and wiggling it. "Cement?"

"Oh no," Thea's hand shot up to her mouth. "Are you okay?"

"My poor nose," Nora blinked and the water in her eyes spilled over.

"Are you seriously crying?" Hayden asked as he turned just in time to see the light bounce off the tear on her cheek.

"I'm not crying," Nora said, her voice nasally due to the face she was pinching her nose.

"Let me get you some ice," Thea patted the girl's shoulder and rushed over to the infirmary.

"Let me see," Hayden took a step forward.

"No, get away," Nora backed up.

"Let me see if it's broken," Hayden huffed.

"It's not broken," Nora said. "I would know if it was."

"Are you sure?"

"Don't worry," Nora laughed. "I won't sue you even if it is. I'm not Nick Cuni."

"How do y-" Hayden started before he stopped. Nora raised a brow as the jinn lowered his hand. "Oh right."

"Yes," Nora laughed once more. "I was in your class, Hayden. I remember Nick and his broken arm."

"I didn't break his arm."

"I didn't ask."

"Nora," Thea's voice called out as she ran down the hall. "Here. I found an ice pack."

"It's really fine," Nora let go of her nose. "I'm okay. It's not that bad."

"Sorry," Thea frowned as she held the ice pack to Nora's nose. "I get worried when one of your kind gets injured. You're all so breakable."

"My kind?" Nora asked.

"Mortals," Thea said.

"Ah yes," Nora nodded. "The bottom feeders. The wiggly worms of the wiggliest lowest form."

"No," Thea's frown deepened. "That's not what I meant. My mom is human....or at least she was."

"I'm kidding," Nora took the ice pack. "Thank you, honestly. But we are a bit tougher than we appear. I'm afraid stubborn jinns aren't enough to break our noses."

Hayden rolled his eyes, "I don't have time for this."

Nora snorted as if she was offended. She looked at Hayden but he had already pushed Killian's door open and disappeared inside. The door shut loudly behind him, leaving the girls alone in the hall.

"He's not always this crabby," Thea apologized.

"He's not?" Nora asked, skeptically. "I've only ever seen him like that."

"No," Thea shook her head. "Hayden has his moments. He just has a lot on his plate."

"I've been hearing people say that for years. What does that actually mean?"

"What do you mean?" Thea asked.

"We went to school together and I remember he would get into fights like every other day," Nora said. "The teachers would always say he has a lot on his plate. It was like his pass to get away with everything."

"He does," Thea shrugged. "He....has a lot going on."

"Yeah, but what?"

"You don't know?"

Nora raised a brow, "Know what?"

"I'm surprised Clare didn't tell you...." Thea frowned. "I mean you're human....that puts you in a greater risk."

"Risk for what?" Nora's eyes widened. "Oh my god! Is he a serial killer?"

"What? No!" Thea shook her head. "Where did you get that idea?"

"He has guns," Nora whispered. "Like.....a lot of guns."

"Oh," Thea's eyes widened. "I did not know that."

"Can I be honest with you?"

"Of course," Thea smiled and nodded.

"I don't really know what I'm supposed to be doing here," Nora confessed. "I mean...Clare said I was here to help Hayden with his work. But I don't know what his work is...."

"He's a teacher at the school, isn't he?"

Nora snorted, "I have never seen that man grade a single piece of homework."

"That's odd," Thea's brows knit together.

Before Nora could tell Thea about the strange surveillance photos Hayden sometimes has her develop, the door opened and Killian rushed out. The girls looked up and jumped out of his way as he looked around, not really seeing them.

"Killian," Hayden followed him out into the halls. "This way."

Killian turned without a word. Nora watched the boy who had grown pale as paper right in front of her very eyes. His dark hair was messy and the blue of his eyes swam in hints of red as if he had been drinking himself to death for days.

"Go change," Hayden said, placing a hand on Killian's shoulder. "Eat something and then w-"

"No, no, no," Killian muttered as he shook his head. "We need to go. I'll eat later."

"Killian," Hayden frowned. "I just woke you up from a spell. Man, look at yourself."

"We need to get to Florida," Killian said, shaking off Hayden's hand from his shoulder.

Nora felt her heart contract. The look of heartbreak and desperation was crystal clear in the boy's eyes. Kiara was the luckiest girl in the world to have someone who's heart beat for her like that.

Well, maybe not that lucky....Nora smacked herself in her head.

"Killian," Thea took a step forward. "Hayden is right. You should eat something before you leave."

"I can't," Killian shook his head. "I have to find her."

"Killian," Clare suddenly appeared at the end of the hall.

All eyes turned towards her as she slowly made her way over to the small gathering. Nora stood up straight and hid the ice pack behind her back as Clare came to a stop in front of Killian and placed a hand against his cheek.

"You need to get ready," she said, her voice so smooth and gentle you would think she was speaking to a scared little child. "We're going to bring her home. But you need your energy."

Killian's face twisted in pain. He nodded his head before dropping his gaze.

"Thea," Clare looked to the blonde girl. "Can you see to it that he eats. We're leaving in 20 minutes."

"Okay," Thea nodded. She walked up to Killian and took his hand. "Come."

Hayden stepped out of the way as Thea led Killian towards the small breakroom at the end of the hall. They all stared at the pair as Thea rubbed her hand up and down Killian's arm and spoke soothing words to him.

After a few seconds, Clare took a long deep breath and let it out slowly. She turned to Hayden and then at Nora.

"Are we all ready?" she asked.

"Yes," Hayden nodded.

"Nora?" Clare frowned. "Where is your kevlar vest?"

"My what?" Nora asked.

"I'm not taking you out into the field without proper protection."

"Wait, hold on a second," Hayden stepped forward. "She's coming with us?"

"I thought it was pretty clear," Clare looked irritated.

"No," Hayden pushed. "It wasn't. Clare....she's a human. No offence."

"Too late," Nora said before turning to Clare. "I'm sorry. But I don't have a kevlar vest. I didn't know I had to go with your all."

"This was your research," Clare said. "We can use your expertise on the field. Don't worry, you won't be in direct contact with anyone. You'll have your own van with your computers and everything else you might need. But Ares insists we all go in with protection."

"This is ridiculous," Hayden shook his head with frustration. "She is not needed there. It'll just delay everything."

"She's going," Clare said.

"Why?" Hayden demanded.

"I do not know, Hayden," Clare's voice hardened. "All I know is that she has to come with us."

"This is bullshit. Absolutely ridic-"

"Find her a kevlar vest and have her ready," Clare said. "She will be your responsibility on the field. And that is not up for debate."

Nora stood back silently. Her eyes bounced back and forth between Hayden and Clare as she bit down on her bottom lip with worry. No one said anything for a few seconds. Hayden's eyes were clouded with anger as he glared at Clare.

"Now, Hayden," the woman said as she turned on her heels and walked off.

Nora was terrified to even breathe. She moved her eyes to Hayden and feared he would snap her in half and melt her into soup. She couldn't hear anything other than her loud heart panicking inside her chest like a bird in a trap.

Ever so slowly, Hayden's eyes moved up to meet Nora's gaze. She gasped silently and wanted to hide behind her ice pack.

"This is unbelievable," he muttered. "I can not believe this. Absolutely stupid. You're gonna get yourself killed."

"Thanks for the vote of confidence," Nora frowned.

"Not not," Hayden warned.

"Hey, this was not my idea," Nora's fear suddenly melted and gave birth to anger. "Stop taking it out on me. I'm not thrilled and jumping at the opportunity either."

"Why are you so loud?"

"Why are you so mea-"

Nora didn't get to finish as Hayden lifted his hand and snapped his fingers.

An invisible force knocked Nora back a few inches as she felt her clothes suddenly grow tight and hug her body like gloves. She gasped as her hair got pulled out of her face and into a high ponytail. A heavy weight descended around her torso as her comfortable sneakers got replaced with black booths.

"What the hell?" Nora shrieked as she looked down at herself.

Her clothes had disappeared and were suddenly replaced with form fitting combat gear. She wore head to toe black with her hair pulled out of her face and her kevlar best tightly wrapped around her chest.

Kiara stood in the halls, stunned. Even her bra had been replaced....what the hell?

"Did you..." she looked up at Hayden. "Did you just...."

"It's faster than you changing manually," the jinn shrugged.

"So you took my clothes off?" Nora gasped in disbelief.

"Whoa!" Hayden's eyes widened and he held up his hands. "I did not take your clothes off!"

"No?" Nora snapped. "Then what did you do?"

"I....." Hayden looked for the right words. "Helped you change."

"Oh my god," Nora paled. "This is wrong! You undressed me!"

"Stop staying that!"

"Well, you did!"

"I didn't see anything!"

"I don't care!"

"Why are you shouting?"

"Because you undressed me in the middle of the hallway! Who does that?"

"For fuck's sake, stop saying that!"

"What the hell is going on?" Birdie poked her head out of her room.

"Birdie, go back inside," Hayden snapped at his sister.

"Why?" Birdie did the opposite and walked out of her room. "Nora, are you okay? Hayden what did you do?"

"Nothing!"

"He undressed me!"

Both Nora and Hayden said at once.

Birdie's eyes widened as she stared at her brother and then at Nora. Her mouth opened but no words came out other than some unintelligible sounds. Nora waited for the girl to speak as she placed her hands on her hips.

"I mean..." Birdie shrugged. "You look really good in all black?"

Nora's eyes narrowed.

"Like Natasha Romanoff," Birdie smiled. "Except you wear glasses....and have brown hair...and are kind of short."

"I can't breathe in this contraption," Nora tugged at the collar of her vest.

"Stop that," Hayden snapped, reaching out and strapping the girl back in.

"I can't breath," Nora wheezed.

"Why are you so dramatic?" Hayden muttered. "You're fine. The vest is perfect for your measurements."

"How do you even know her measurements?" Birdie raised a brow.

"I have eyes, bird head."

"How do I move around with this on?" Nora squatted and then stood back up. "Goodness, it's like an extra 10 pounds."

"5.5 pounds," Hayden corrected her. "Luckily, you'll be in a van. So don't worry about having to run around."

"Wait, she's going?" Birdie's eyes widened. "That's not fair! I wanna go."

"This isn't a field trip," Hayden said.

"But I ca-"

"Okay!" Ares voice boomed out in the hall. "Everyone, look alive! Chop Chop! It's showtime!"

"And I didn't even rehearse," Nora groaned as Hayden pushed her forward. 

What do you think will happen? :) 

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

506 48 6
i wanted to die. but death wanted me to live. and got our fates entwined _
20 1 1
 Forever, young old, to be forever, young young young
13.5K 922 22
"Can I face my problems alone or die trying?"
1M 33.2K 53
" I will fuck you whenever and however I want to, and you will take it like a good wife you are."