๐“๐–๐Ž ๐†๐‡๐Ž๐’๐“๐’ , bucky...

By trgdycoils

โ โ โ ๐•ฟ๐–๐Ž ๐•ฒ๐‡๐Ž๐’๐“๐’ , โ•ฐโ”€โ”€โ”€โžฃ we're just two ๐’ˆ๐’‰๐’๐’”๐’•๐’” standing in the ๐’‘๐’๐’‚๐’„๐’† of you and ๐’Ž๐’† try... More

โ› ๐ญ๐ฐ๐จ ๐ ๐ก๐จ๐ฌ๐ญ๐ฌ โœ
๐ ๐ซ๐š๐ฉ๐ก๐ข๐œ ๐ ๐š๐ฅ๐ฅ๐ž๐ซ๐ฒ.
๐ ๐ซ๐š๐ฉ๐ก๐ข๐œ ๐ ๐š๐ฅ๐ฅ๐ž๐ซ๐ฒ ๐Ÿ.๐ŸŽ
๐ž๐ฉ๐ข๐ ๐ซ๐š๐ฉ๐ก.
โ”€โ”€โ”€ ๐ฉ๐š๐ซ๐ญ ๐จ๐ง๐ž
one.
three.
four.
five.
six.
seven.
eight.
nine.
ten.

two.

2.3K 153 201
By trgdycoils

˚ ༘ 𝕿𝐖𝐎 𝕲𝐇𝐎𝐒𝐓𝐒 彡
꒰‧⁺ ⇢ ❝ 𝒞𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝒯𝚆𝙾 ¡! ❞ ˊˎ
- ̗̀ ๑❪( ◌⁺ ˖˚ ಿ our last night.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

𝕽𝑨𝒀𝑴𝑶𝑵𝑫 𝑾𝑨𝑺 𝑨 RARE BREED OF HUMAN WHO DIDN'T BOTHER TO WORRY ABOUT THE FUTURE YEARS, AND WHAT MANKIND WOULD ACCOMPLISH IN DECADES TO COME. Not his time, not his problem. Right now, he had enough in the present to worry about . . . including how this triple date Bucky had set up for the three of them would go.

"I don't see what the problem is." Bucky directed to Steve as they walked their way through the exposition, chuckling lightly under his breath as they went. "You're about to be the last eligible man in New York. You know there are three and a half million women here?"

"Well, I'd settle for just one," Steve states, hearing Raymond sniggering to his right side as Bucky scanned the crowd.

His blue eyes lit up as he spotted Connie and two other girls waiting in front of the Modern Marvels Pavilion waving them over, the Sergeant waving back with a huge grin. "Good thing I took care of that."

"Hey, Bucky!" Connie greeted, her smile as cheery as always with her curled brown hair framing her delicately pampered face. She looked pretty in her long dress that ended just below the knees, and Raymond couldn't say he blamed his friend for taking an interest in her. She was beautiful.

"What'd you tell her about me?" Steve inquired in a low voice as they grew closer to the girls, his jitters visible from a mile away as he fixed the front of his blond hair.

"Only the good stuff," Bucky smirks, side-eyeing Raymond; who he noted to be uncharacteristically quiet this evening around them - him especially. "Same goes with you, Ray."

"Great. What did you tell her? That I'm a soon-to-be serving soldier?" Raymond admitted guilt to sounding so bitter towards Bucky when all he was trying to do was enjoy his last night in Brooklyn, and make sure he did too. But Raymond could be swimming in all the pleasures in life, and he still wouldn't be happy tonight. His happiness stood nonexistent tonight; which was no one's fault but his.

Bucky didn't take his words to heart, thankfully, knowing that his friend was only grinning and bearing this for his sake. "No. I just promised her it was a sight worth seeing." He winked, turning around as he missed the flushed expression on his friend's face that was tainted by his smooth compliment.

Bucky was first to greet the ladies, Steve and Raymond standing awkwardly offside as they watched their friend speak to them with an innate charm. "Why did you agree to this?" The blonde inquired discreetly, his hands filling the insides of his trouser pockets as he rocked on his feet apprehensively.

"I didn't even know I did until it was too late." The Fossum boy informed casually, shrugging and elaborating when his friend gave him a quizzing look. "Spaced out."

Steve broadcasted a deep chuckle, shaking his head at the antics of the boy beside him and his common incidents of dispersing. "Try not to do that on the job." He jabbed, his jovial mockery going appreciated by his friend.

"Don't worry, I'll be making sure he doesn't," Bucky announced as he reached them once more with company this time, the three girls sticking to him like honey with Connie tucked under his arm. He beamed with overweening intent, his gaze drilled on Raymond.

"Right, because I suddenly have to obey to your every command with your sudden new title, Sergeant." The Fossum boy fooled, the Barnes boy giving him a touché head tilt as he raised his hand to one of the three girls. "Hi. I'm Raymond."

She was a brunette, her hair darker than Connie's with accommodating blue eyes that were as clear as a summers day. Her yellow summer dress with white polka dots was bright amongst the bland crowd, standing out as her inherently long lashes tickled her speckled cheeks. "Judith."

They talked for a while, exchanging civil conversations and forth before Connie was practically yipping at Bucky's heel to explore the exposition and its futuristic wonders.

"Ladies and gentleman," the thick voice of the Public Address Announcer echoed in through the building, attaining most's attention. "welcome to the Modern Marvels Pavilion and the World of Tomorrow. A greater world. A better world."

Women were clamouring around in their high heels, some squeezing their partners in a spirited enthusiasm; Connie included. She giddily leaned down to whisper something to her blonde friend - who Raymond had learned to be named Bonnie. "Oh, my god! It's starting!" They giggled, Connie, dragging Bucky along with her to the centre stage where lights were in the process of glowing for a presentation and display of sorts.

They pushed through the crowd, Raymond and Steve lagging as the Rogers boy misstepped over a few people's feet; apologising profusely as his friend made sure he didn't get misplaced in the crowd by keeping a tight grip on his jacket.

"Ladies and gentleman," Five females dressed in top hats and stripes were already lined up on the stage, a glossy red 1942 Cadillac displayed behind them. The one on the far end held a microphone and got the show started with a broad, exciting smile. "Mr Howard Stark!"

Said man came parading onto the stage, a swagger in his strides as he propped off his hat. He handed it to the girl who entertained him with a smirk, the lady gladly taking it from his hands as he leaned down and smooched her hard on the lips.

"I love you, Howard!" A woman shrieked in the audience, Raymond's reaction to the praising yell making Bucky laugh as they turned to the front to pay attention to Howard Stark.

"Ladies and gentleman, what if I told you that in just a few short years, your automobile won't even have to touch the ground at all?" The man with the moustache kicked off, intriguing many as the lady assistants took off the wheels of the car beside him; gasps galloping through the audience. "Yes. Thanks, Mandy. With Stark Gravitic Reversion Technology - "

"That's a mouthful," Raymond muttered aloud, Judith hearing and giggling. They gazed at one another for a brief moment, Raymond friendly smiling at her; resulting in redness to be caught in her cheeks as she looked down; nipping her lip.

"You'll be able to do just that." Howard finished as he turned up a dial of sorts, mechanical humming ringing out as slowly but surely, the car began to lift until it hovered over the solid ground!

Mouths were open in astonishment, Bucky included as he gawked at the vehicle in wonder. "Holy cow."

Sadly, the glory was short-lived. One of the engines keeping the car afloat lighted up with sparks, breaking down. Like the domino effect, if one goes down, the others go too. Unable to support the weight, the experiment came crashing back down to the heavy floor as many watched.

Connie jumped, Bonnie and Judith, sharing a look of turmoil. Steve and Raymond didn't look stunned, the Fossum boy rolling his eyes when Bucky glanced at them with a cheeky smile.

"I did say a few years, didn't I?" Stark kidded, recovering from his failed attempt as he received a round of applause from his spectators. He chuckled, smiling despite Raymond knowing he felt fairly embarrassed.

"Hey, guys, what do you say we treat these girls . . ." Bucky chased off when he spun around to find Raymond standing there, but not Steve. The Barnes boy glanced everywhere dumbfounded, his friend providing him with a knowing look which made him sigh. "Please tell me he isn't doing what I think he's doing."

"He's a stubborn man, Bucket." That was all Raymond said as they excused themselves from the girls, scampering off to find their wandering friend. "You know he's not going to quit. As the old Stevie saying goes "he can do this all day"." He mimicked, detecting the closest recruitment building in the distance and bounding over with Bucky close by his side.

"I can't believe him sometimes. He's got the whole of Brooklyn in the palm of his hand, and he still wants to go to war." The Barnes boy shook his head.

"If it fitted him, I would give him my outfit. Save me the trouble." Raymond jested as they recognized Steve, the blonde standing next to a mirrored booth with a glimmer of desire in his eyes. "Ditching us so soon, Rogers?"

"Come on. You're kind of missing the point of a triple date." Bucky pats his shoulder, swerving him away from the tall display of photos. "We're taking the girls dancing."

Raymond's blue eyes enlarged, pivoting round to focus on his friend confusedly. "We are?" The Barnes boy nodded. "I can't dance for shit!"

"All part of the learning experience, Ray." Bucky grins, revelling in the boy's misfortune and surprise. "To sweeten the deal, we can maybe even get chocolate soda afterwards."

"You guys go ahead. I'll catch up with you." Steve notifies them, the mood shifting wholly as the two boys gaped at him with depressing looks.

"You're really going to do this again?" Bucky asks, both him and Raymond already knowing the answer. Steve Rogers wasn't one to give up, and that probably was the most admirable and infuriating thing about him.

"Well, it's a fair." Steve shrugs, not even attempting to hide it from them. "I'm gonna try my luck."

"As who, Steve from Ohio?" Bucky was quick to question, his tone sharper than before. "They'll catch you. Or worse, they'll actually take you."

Their friend eyes them both carefully, sadly looking down. "Look, I know neither of you think I can do this." He began with a grim smile, but neither of the pair let him finish.

"This isn't a back alley, Steve. It's war."

"Or have you forgotten that?" Raymond matched his friend's tone, his more disgruntled with the single-minded Rogers. "People kind of die yearly from it; including our own family."

Steve bit his lip at Raymond's words, treading carefully. "I know it's a war."

"Why are you so keen to fight?" Bucky asks in annoyance, he and his friend both getting a bit more heated now. It all came from a good place. They just didn't want Steve in the same boat they were in, not when he had a choice. "There are so many important jobs."

"What do you want me to do? Collect scrap metal -"

"Yes!" Bucky and Raymond cried in unison, eyes wide.

". . . in my little red wagon?"

"Why not?" Bucky incredulously shrugs.

"I'm not gonna sit in a factory, guys!" When his two friends opened their mouths to protest, Steve proceeded. "Guys, come on. There are men laying down their lives. I got no right to do any less than them. That's what you two don't understand. This isn't about me."

"Right. 'Cause, you've got nothing to prove." Bucky says, the mood sombre as the three girls make their way over behind them.

"Hey, Sarge!" Raymond inwardly cringed at the war-themed nickname bestowed to his friend, Connie lending him a flirty look as her dress swung by her knees with a light twirl. "Are we going dancing?"

Bucky veered around, Steve assigning Raymond an attentive look whilst his back was turned to them. The boy averted his gaze. "Yes, we are."

When Bucky twisted back around, the tension was coarse. It was time for goodbyes. Raymond's face was crestfallen as they struggled for words to say, Bucky managing before he could. "Don't do anything stupid until we get back."

"How can I?" Steve smiles lightly, looking down at their uniforms. "You guys are taking all the stupid with you."

"You're a punk," Bucky tells him as he walks over one last time to give him a goodbye hug.

"Jerk." Steve pats him on the back, turning to a silent Raymond next to him. "Am I coming to you, or are you coming to me?"

"You're an asshole," Raymond derides before he closed the distance between them, hugging him tightly as he felt his eyes begin to sting; his inner mind warning him that this could be the last time he hugs the boy. "but I'm proud to be your friend, Steve."

"Be careful," Steve advises his two best friends as they begin to slowly walk away, Bucky draping a comforting arm around Raymond's shoulders as they went. "Don't win the war till I get there!"

The officially accepted soldiers spun around and gave the blonde a sarcastic salute, the action provoking a smile.

"Come on, girls. They're playing our song." Bucky allures as they join them once again, Connie binding herself to the Sergeant.

Before fleeing, Raymond peers at Steve one last time; making sure his skin-and-bones appearance was fresh in his memory for tomorrow, when he would be leaving Brooklyn.

Steve was still watching them, him and Raymond staring at each other before he mouthed two words of advice to his friend; two words he would never forget when leaving for England tomorrow.

"Tell him."

The words rang in his skull as Raymond, Bucky, and the three girls fled the World Exposition; heading for the dance hall. Bucky had a genuine appeal as he talked to the girls, his friend watching them fawn over him whilst he stalked behind.

"So, Connie tells me you're leaving tomorrow." He didn't even realise Judith was wandering beside him until he gave attention to her voice, kindly-looking his way to make passing conversation.

"Yeah. Shipping out for England." Raymond's tone was strained; he could tell all by himself. He wasn't keen on talking about his shipment on his last night in Brooklyn, but he chose to endure it for the sake of not being rude to a woman who had pleasant with him all evening.

"I would love to leave Brooklyn one day; explore the world." Judith cherished the sights their home city had to offer as she spoke, giggling faintly to herself. "I mean, I'm not getting any younger."

"Well, I sincerely hope that one day you can." Raymond meant his words. If a war was to happen, he wanted something to come of it in the end; something good. Nothing would make up for the mess made to get there, but he thinks the people deserved that much; dead or alive.

"Thank you, Raymond." A fierce earnestness promenaded in the pupils of Judith's eyes as she stopped in her trails, facing Raymond in front of the dance hall they had now reached. She read up on his look, running along with every stitch of fabric conforming to his skin with a conclusive nod. "You're doing a very brave thing; serving your country."

Bravery. Was it bad to not feel such emotion for this situation? Raymond felt more hopeless than brave. He was going because he reached a dead end and didn't have a choice, and he would be staying behind with his family in Brooklyn if given the choice. Were soldiers brave? Absolutely. But Raymond didn't consider himself a soldier, nor did he ever want to . . . so what did that make him?

"I appreciate that." Nevertheless, Raymond preferred not to overcomplicate things. Taking the compliment with a grain of salt, he noticed a newfound pressure on his arm; smooth fingers galloping along with the cotton fabric of his uniform in a consoling rub. "Uh -"

"Hey, are you coming to join us, Ray?" With Connie and Bonnie now sitting comfortably off to the side in the dance hall, Bucky went to fetch his friend. He hesitated at the scene in front of him, his blue eyes narrowing at the pair as he glanced between them both.

"I - I'll get us some drinks." Raymond proposed, stepping away from Judith and clapping his hands together. He felt the hot, sweaty, slickness of his palms slapping against each other as he did so. "What're you guys wanting?"

"Surprise me." Judith shrugged, giving a sign with her thumb to Bonnie and Connie over her shoulder. "I'll just wait by the table."

"Okay," Raymond sent her a kind smile, which was reciprocated as she faded into the crowd. He headed towards the bar, Bucky following. "If you want a drink, I can always just bring it back to our table. Go hang out with the girls. I know you want to."

The Barnes boy just laughs, leaning against the bar as his friend orders a round of drinks. "Don't you want me to accompany you?"

"Something tells me there's going to be a lot of that happening over the next few months." Raymond didn't answer his question, blue eyes trained on the shelf of alcoholic fluids in front of him.

"Damn straight." Over the choruses of loud banter and chattering, they heard the three girls gossiping contemptibly amongst themselves; sharing a few laughs. Bucky's gaze bore into them as he spoke. "She's pretty, isn't she?"

"Who? Judith?" He nodded, Raymond shrugging. "Yeah, she's pretty." He agreed, drumming his fingers along the wooden table. "Why do you ask?"

Barnes donned a wobbly smile. "Connie said you two would get along well."

Catching onto what he was implying, Raymond rolled his eyes with a breathy sigh. "I don't want a girl, Bucky."

"Right. Because you don't want to leave anyone else behind." His friend mocked, fixing his sergeant hat on top of his head as he swivelled his full body to his friend; Raymond following him. "I just don't want you pausing your future because of this."

"What future? Like the one we just saw?" Bucky could not look less entertained at his stab at a joke, inducing Raymond to huff. "Life isn't always going to be flying cars, Bucky."

The drinks then came, the two boys making their way to the table where the girls were waiting. Hearing them approach, Connie stood up to eagerly grab onto Bucky's arm. "Come on, Bucky! You promised we'd go dancing!"

The man chuckled, looking down at the brunette with a smirk as his friend passed everyone their respective drinks. "And that's a promise I'm going to fulfil." He looked to the other three, his eyes solely on Raymond as he asked. "What do you say, guys? Fancy a bit of dancing?"

Both Bonnie and Raymond shut the offer down, taking a sip of their drinks. Judith stayed silent for a bit, inspecting the ice cubes as they swirled around in her drink before emptying her throat shyly. "No. No thanks."

Bucky didn't push, Connie dragging him to the dance floor to mingle with the other couples before he could utter a single word; leaving the three to drink the night away.

Raymond Fossum wanted to cry - for Judith's or his sake, he didn't know. His mother's words of courtesy and manners rang like a warning alarm in his head. For good measure, he downed the remains of his drink before rounding the table to where Judith sat, putting forth his hand. "Would you like to dance with me?"

"But . . . But I thought - "

"Eh, it's my last night. Might as well make a fool of myself on the dance floor." Raymond shrugged, lips branching out in an artful grin as he cocked his head; Judith seeing a flicker in his eyes. "Shall we?"

Her hand slipped into his like a loose knot tying, hauling herself up to stand by his side as they walked to the dance floor; excitement twirling in the eyes of the female as she scanned all the other couples.

Bucky was first to notice them, swirling Connie as he shot Raymond a grin; being close enough to teasingly blurt out. "Try not to step on her feet, Ray!"

The Fossum boy's eyes rolled, but with a smile as he held his date's hand tighter while they sauntered close to them. "You're right. I should step on yours instead."

A mutual smile was shared between the two friends as they held their respective dates, twirling them and dancing the night away with every song that passed.

It felt like a godsend to Raymond that he was enjoying himself by the second song of the night. His smile less forced, and his feet more receptive to move along to the beat of the forties music that played in the background.

Judith was a great dance partner, pardoning all the times he would slip up or bump into her; even standing on her toes a few times. She would help him know where to put his feet and stay focused; that last action being the hardest to learn for poor Raymond.

He couldn't help it. A ravenous animal would gnaw at the underside of his stomach, clawing all his nerves and insecurities of him making a clown of himself to the earth; unprotected. It is then he would slip up, step on the poor woman's feet as he profusely apologises just like he had done back when he was six and broke his mother's favourite vase.

Six-year-old Raymond felt so mortified, so stupid. His mother's reaction to him standing amongst the shattered pieces of glass made it worse; so worse that he ran out of the house in fear that his mother wouldn't want him anymore. Yeah, he overreacted a lot when he was a kid.

Bucky was the one to find him, knowing where he was the minute the Fossum family knocked worriedly on the Barnes household door; asking if they had seen their eldest son.

Six-year-old Raymond couldn't place it, but he instantly felt better when he saw a relieved Bucky running over to him in the field he had decided to lie low in; hugging him tight until he decompressed from all of the suppressed feelings he had been consuming since running away from the mess he had made.

He later walked home with Bucky, back to the waiting arms of his family. The Barnes boy was a few years older than him, and taller too; meaning he acted as a security guard for the uncertain Raymond Fossum when they knocked on the door of his house concurrently.

Raymond had never felt so happy being suffocated in the warm embrace of his mother and father, who reassuringly whimpered their forgiveness in rushed tones; holding him so tight his cheeks smooshed against their clothed shoulders as he looked to Bucky; who toothily smiled at him with a look that read "I told you so" under the dimly lit house lights.

It all felt like déjà vu for Raymond when he looked over Judith's shoulder, only to see Bucky smiling at him from across the dance hall; just like all those years ago. His face hadn't changed at all with age. Raymond could still see every single detail because he had wrongfully made the mistake of studying them for too long. Too long for him to look at him and not feel anything other than the feelings he knew he, a man, shouldn't have.

For god's sake, he was his best friend; the two of them leaving for England the next morning to fight in the war. How could he even have the capacity to still feel such things, knowing that the chances of them both returning to Brooklyn together being slim?

"Raymond? Raymond?" His eyes flared with a focus as they shifted to meet Judith's doe-eyed gaze, catching sight of how close their noses were when he looked down; only to find her already looking up.

The back of his throat surged with a clogging sensation, his tongue feeling too big for his mouth all of a sudden as he wrung for words. Why was she so close? "Y - Yes?"

"You need to relax your shoulders." Her hands were as steady as silk as they operated over his uniform, smiling a tad as she bit the corners of her painted lips. "You've never done this before, have you?"

"You would be very correct in that statement, miss." Raymond chuckled under his breath just as a slow song began playing, his back tensing when he felt the end of her hand slide up his spine. "I - I apologise. My dancing experience is poor."

"Don't apologise. It takes a good man to respectfully dance with a woman." Judith commented as she casually intertwined their hands, giggling when her dance partner tensed even more. "Maybe you can pick it up once all of this is over."

"I doubt anyone would want to dance with a wounded soldier who appears to have two left feet." Raymond quips, concentrating down at his feet as they shuffled; maintaining a safe distance from the pair of the nicely shined heels across from him.

"I'm sure there's someone out there." Her fingers felt like rain on a windowsill with every pitter-patter her digits tapped to. "I, for one, would be more than happy to."

What does one say to that? Raymond doesn't know, an uneasy smile slipping past him. "Th - Thank you. That's - That's awfully kind."

There was a moment in silence, like the music enveloping them became an echo against its force. Judith held his gaze as if looking any harder would allow her to dive into his irises, and see what was truly unveiling behind them. Her round lips that curved into a soft heart - mainly on the top lip - came closer, and closer, and closer . . . until Raymond could practically taste the vibrant scent of liquor on her tongue as she whispered a breathy. "Kiss me."

Raymond didn't move, he was frozen in time. His eyes were on hers, but his reflections weren't. He couldn't place what exactly he was feeling; it was too iffy too, but he knew, as she drew closer with lips so wild they would drive any man crazy, that it was wrong. "P - Pardon?"

"Come on, soldier." A protest would've been made about the nickname, had his date not suddenly tugged on the collar of his uniform; pulling him closer by the chest. Their foreheads grazed over one another's as Raymond's - once regaining from his cry of surprise - heart stabbed in his chest; and not for reasons he wished to be positive. "Don't you want a goodbye kiss?"

"I, uh -"

Eruptions of surprise came out when two bodies abruptly clashed with the pair, their arms detaching from one another as they stumbled back. Raymond managed to catch his footing just in time, confusedly darting his eyes around until he heard a feminine groan.

"Bucky!" Connie whined, now on the floor as she looked up at the guilty soldier with a scolding look that was stern yet somewhat maternal. "I told you to be careful. What happened?"

"Sorry, doll." Bucky full-heartedly apologised as he bent down to graciously help the woman back to her own two feet, his blue eyes appearing absent as he smiled at the brunette. "I don't know what came over me."

Raymond gaped at his friend in puzzlement. He looked so disturbed as if the act committed just took him completely by surprise; which, to be fair, it did for all of them - but none on the same level as James Barnes.

"Maybe that's enough dancing for one night." Judith laughed it off, a feathery hand on her stomach as she did so.

"R - Right. We've probably left Bonnie for too long also." Raymond agreed with her, not meeting her eyes as he fixed the hat on top of his head; despite it not needing to be moved.

"I'd say she's having a grand time." Normal Bucky seemed to return as he caught something in the distance, smirking at it as all his peers swerved to see the female blonde avidly conversing with a redheaded fella by the bar.

The man looked categorically doll dizzy for her; clinging onto every word like it was a poem you had to memorise for school in one evening. His look was not to be mistaken for lust, for there was too much adulation for her prominent intellectuality that any lust-given thought simply perished.

"We'll tell her we're heading out, see if she wants to come." Connie states with a smile. She walked in between the two boys, her soft shoulders rubbing against their arms. "You going to walk us home, soldiers?"

"We sure are."
"I, uh - "

Both Raymond and Bucky's heads snapped as they looked at each other, clearly stunned as the Barnes boy went on; smiling sweetly at the girls. "We'll walk you girls home. No problem."

Connie and Judith gave them pure smiles of gratitude before striding over to the bar, their flat-heeled shoes clacking the floorboards as they passed. Once out of earshot, Raymond spoke.

"Bucky, I promised my mum I wouldn't be home late." He murmured lowly, staying close by his friend's side as their dates talked to Bonnie and the redheaded man.

"And you're not," Bucky assured, wrapping a nonchalant arm around his shoulder and jerking him close as they strolled. "We'll just quickly walk the girls home, and be on our way! Come on, Ray! Where's your gentleman spirit gone?"

"He's dying with the war." Raymond droned, the hand blanketing his shoulder only fastening its hold around his arm in response as the girls walked back over; leaving Bonnie with the man.

"Bonnie is just going to stay and hang out with Robert. They went to the same high school, so they've got some catching up to do." Connie informed them, her smile unwavering as she linked arms with Bucky; his other arm still around his friend. "Let's go!"

Bucky was then separated from Raymond as Connie led out of the bar and into the street, chatting his ear off with every step as he listened intently; looking over his shoulder now and again until his friend and his respective date emerged from the bar.

Judith and Raymond didn't talk as they wandered behind the two brunettes. Instead, they kept their gazes on the concrete ground, their lips nervously shifting between their teeth now and again.

It was fortunate that Judith and Connie didn't live far from one another, or far from the dance hall either, for that matter. They split off at their respective streets, each boy accompanying a lady to her door with the intent of meeting up later; so they could have a goodbye before everything changes tomorrow morning.

"Thank you for walking me to my door, and especially for not pressing me up against it." Judith credited as she looked back over to the young man, who had respectively stopped and waited at the foot of her front steps.

"No thanks should be needed for such a thing." Raymond softly shook his head, sensing her nerves when he roamed next to her. He didn't mind, nor did he blame her. The keys jingled in her hand as she hugged them tighter, seeing the soldier nod to himself. He had other things to say, but he knew it was time to go. "Just before I leave you, . . . about what happened back at the dance hall. I -"

He was stunned when he heard a laugh, cutting his apology short as Judith shook her head; appearing more relaxed. "It's okay, Raymond. I'm not mad. I'm just glad I now know for sure."

The Fossum boy's brows slotted together. "Know what?"

"Why you were staring at your friend for such a long time." His complexion must've paled along with his horrific expression, for his face was somehow comical to the female as she barked a laugh before it morphed into an almost prideful grin. "Your eyes didn't close. You can always tell how a man feels before a kiss from his open eyes."

Like a fish out of water, Raymond's mouth hung agape like an open tin can. Even his breathing was taken by surprise, catching in the back of his throat. "And, uh, just - just what were my eyes saying exactly?"

"That you, my friend, have a lot to wake up and look forward to." Her words struck a curious cord as her lips soothed in a gentle smile; one that had a sense of knowledge about it.

That insight was lost upon Raymond, for his scoff was rather splenetic as he replied. "What? In war?"

"No. What you'll hopefully learn from it."

Learn? In war? What could Raymond possibly learn in war? How to shoot a man and feel nothing afterwards? How to sleep under territorial twilight skies? How to stay alive long enough for him to at least send one letter out to his perturbed family?

"Well, I don't want to keep you long. You need a good rest for tomorrow." Judith didn't let him defend or shut down her words, leaning mellowly against her front door as her smile pacified the world around them when she saw him off for tomorrow. "So long, Raymond. Best of luck."

Luck. Oh, what a feeble word. It sounded like such a last resort of reinstating faith because there was nothing else to say. No one could guarantee anything in the world, primarily in war's unceremonious' affairs. Raymond Fossum could live to tell the tale of his time, or he could die and become a stationary body in a pile of men hunching at death's doorstep; waiting days just for identification.

Raymond didn't want luck. He craved a secure sense of security and an assured blanket of protection that would last him for the entirety of his enlistment. But, he didn't have any of that. All he had was luck; a stroke of luck he couldn't say he felt given the risky circumstances.

But, Raymond smiled in thanks anyway; bidding her a kind, final goodbye, making sure she got into her house safely, before walking back to the street where Bucky was waiting for him.

The Barnes boy was leaning against a streetlight, living under a beam that made his outfit gleam as he looked around absentmindedly. His blue eyes beamed when they sighted Raymond walking back. "How'd it go?"

The avidity in his voice didn't go amiss by the Fossum lad, causing him to roll his eyes. "Not as good as how it went with you apparently."

Bucky furrowed his eyebrows in confusion even more intrigued. "What do you mean?"

"You have lipstick on your cheek."

Bucky hand instantly went to touch his cheek, rubbing the lipstick kiss mark that belonged to Connie with an embarrassed look. "Oh. I didn't even notice."

"Are you going to see her again?" Raymond wondered, falling into step with his friend as they walked in the direction of their homes; Bucky's being the closest.

"I don't know. I don't think I'll have much time for the ladies." Bucky laughed meekly, shaking his head as his eyes cast downwards.

"Oh. That's a shame." Raymond didn't mean for his tone to be so cold-blooded, but Bucky laughed before he could correct it.

"What? You don't want me to find a girl?" Bucky smirked, his friend chewing his lip to hide his smile. The Sergeant wrapped his arm around the soldier, pulling him close as his hand tore his hat off to start furiously disarraying his hair. "Huh? You don't want to find a doll and settle down?"

"The James Barnes settling down with someone? Ha! That's a thought." Raymond and Bucky's antics echoed off the back alley's hard, brick walls as they teasingly whacked one another;

"Oh yeah, because seeing Raymond 'never dates anyone' Fossum living a domestic life is easier to visualise." The Barnes boy laughed loudly when his friend only provided him with the middle finger in answer to his sarcastic retort. "Kidding. You'll find someone who sweeps you off your feet. I heard that the nurses who applied this year are a sight for sore eyes."

"That'll be good, considering they'll be looking over our broken bodies when we meet them." Listening to Bucky's lamenting sigh, Raymond kept going; giving him a pointed look. "You know I'm not going to say anything positive about tomorrow."

"I know, and I don't want you to; not if you don't mean it." Bucky declared as they stalled in pace, the taller one of the two reaching to a halt with a clack of the shoes. "I just wanted you to have some fun on our last night."

"I had fun," Raymond expressed in verification, catching onto the pang of regret written on his friend's face as he smiled a fresh smile. "And I can't believe I'm saying this, but thanks for forcing me to go. I'm sure Mum will be sending her thanks to you tomorrow."

"Oh god, that poor woman." Bucky huffs an excessive sigh in a fabricated tone of pity before he broke character; his lips lifting by their corners. "Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have Mr Boring as a child."

"I'm not boring, I'm naturally concerned by nature." Was the young man's defence as they proceeded with their pace once more, identifying the similar street signs.

"So . . . boring?"

"Well, this Mr Boring, keeps you out of jail and potential death." Raymond jabs, knowing that - had he not intervened from time to time - the Barnes boy would 100% not be standing in front of him as a sergeant today.

"And, oh, how thankful I am." Bucky falsely swooned, leaning into him. "You know, we balance each other out nicely, Ray."

"Yeah. I'm smart, while you're just plain stupid."

"Who's the one with the Sergeant title here?" He didn't have to look to know that Bucky's face was smitten with smugness as his walk swayed to a swagger; confidence in every step.

"You; that's why you're stupid."

"You have to admit, the uniform comes with its perks." Said Bucky as he looked down at his uniform, brushing it for effect.

"Yeah, for the ones who have a normal-sized uniform." Gesturing down to his clothes, the Fossum boy looked less than amused.

His resentment towards the size made Bucky bark a laugh. "Hey! You look great!" He attempted to motivate the doubtful, dreary boy. "Just think of how big it would look like on Steve."

This did stir a positive reaction, Raymond laughing through his nose at the image of their skinny friend in clothing one too many sizes big for him. However, his moment of elation was deflated as he asked with a rather perturbed look. "Do you think he'll be okay on his own?"

"Well, the punk has survived this far." Bucky's reply didn't exactly aid in his worries as he shrugged. "Beats going where we're going, I guess."

". . . Can you promise me something?"

His tone of voice was differentiating from his previous one, gaining Barnes' attention right away like some alert dog. "Yes." He rushed, his eyes suddenly fusing with unsettlement. "Yes, anything."

". . . Promise me that I'll be your favourite soldier in the camp. 'Means I'll get special treatment." Raymond's earnest look suddenly became pleasant once more as his pearly whites said hello, his blue eyes squeezed at their corners.

It took Bucky a few seconds to reply, most likely to digest his friend's unforeseen reason for his grave question. When he did speak, it was through a hearty laugh "You know being my friend doesn't make you invincible, right?"

"Oh, I know that. But better a Sergeant being your best friend than a cook or something." Raymond shrugged before humming in thought. "Although, that would probably get you more food."

"You're ridiculous." Bucky smiles, not shocked that Raymond Fossum was already trying to cheat his way through the war system. "But you have my word. You already know I'm going to be by your side during all of this, Ray."

"Sure you won't ditch me for some hot nurse?" Raymond posed with raised brows, his scoff a whisper from the corner of his pink lips.

"And miss out on Raymond Fossum going down as one of the bravest men in history? No way." Bucky's reply came with no additional hesitation, Raymond feeling his face flush a timid pink. "You've got me 'till the end."

They soon reached the road in which they separate, the air thick like wool as they stood across from one another at step length; the inevitable etched on both boy's faces. Neither spoke for a moment, their eyes still staying bound like a string of yarn as Raymond finally spoke; his feet doing an awkward shuffle as he jammed his hands in his new trouser pockets.

"Well, I would say goodbye, but seeing as -" His words were cut off by himself abruptly when the feeling of someone's arms encircling around him struck his mouth dry. The boy instantaneously requited his friend's embrace. In his comforting hold, his eyes broke down their walls and simmered with hot tears threatening to spill; affecting his voice as he croaked. "I'm scared, James."

"We'll be fine. We'll be back home before you know it; both of us, like we never left." Bucky did not lessen his hold on him as the moon began to ascend; covering them like a cloak as the countdown till morning light started.

Raymond could only nod against his shoulder, his fingers tightening around his suit for one last savouring moment before he pulled away. His enervated smile was glum as he nodded in acceptance to himself; his blue eyes meeting Bucky's awaiting ones. "I'll see you tomorrow, Sergeant Barnes."

Raymond then turned and walked down his street, hearing Bucky's steps fade away as he did the same. The night air felt stuffy to Raymond as he thought of home, and what would be welcoming him for perhaps the last, normal time.

He pictured his mother laid out on his father's favourite, aged chair in the living room, sleeping soundly and undisturbed when her son returned. He would admire the sight and the stability it brought him when he tenderly leaned down to kiss her forehead; reaching over to drape a blanket over her dozing form.

His second stop would be his little brother, Dennis' room, finding him snoring across his bed in a sprawled out position. Raymond would once again smile, and whisper a tender "night, buddy" as he shut the door to conceal the light in the dim hallway as to not wake him.

He would then stride over to his room, where he would happily strip himself of his uniform with a sigh of contempt. Once changed into his most comfortable pair of nightwear, Raymond would then tiptoe back into the living room and lie out on the couch closest to his mother with his blanket in hand.

He would stare at her for a while, memorising every angelic characteristic she adorned as he wished for time to stop; to cease around him and let him live his life in this day in Brooklyn. The day where he has no place to be. The day where he has those of whom he loves within arm's length. The day where he has Steve, and Dennis, and Bucky, and his mother.

The day where Raymond can rest peacefully, knowing that he could see their faces tomorrow morning when the time calls him to open his eyes - and do his very best to survive if he wishes to see a day like this ever again.

: : ❛ 𝓐𝙐𝙏𝙃𝙊𝙍 𝓝𝙊𝙏𝙀 ❜ : :
╰───╮; i am not trying to make judith and connie seem desperate or anything in this chapter. this is a female-hate free zone people! and, if anything, bucky was the desperate one.

and that whole "you can always tell how a man feels before a kiss from his open eyes" thing may be utter bull crap ( probably is ) but i needed some material to work with.

hope you liked this chapter! the next one will be them going off to war, so things will ( hopefully ) kick off from here! since this follows the story of raymond, steve's transformation won't be included in this fic - so you may want to brush up on your first avenger movie knowledge just in case. i'll try to make it as clear as possible for both myself and you :)

thanks for reading!
love you all!

∴ ✪ ❱ · TRGDYCOILS !! ━━━━
( 7.3k words )

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

139K 4K 42
โ†ณ๐˜/๐ ๐’๐“๐€๐‘๐Š is just as presumptuous as her father, and nothing will ever stop her from proving to him that she is worthy of being an avenger; u...
896 19 18
๐‡๐š๐ณ๐ž๐ฅ ๐๐š๐ซ๐ญ๐จ๐ง ๐š๐ง๐ ๐๐ข๐ž๐ญ๐ซ๐จ ๐Œ๐š๐ฑ๐ข๐ฆ๐จ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ two teens who find out that saving lives isn't the only thing that comes from being a...
4.1K 196 11
"๐™”๐™ค๐™ช'๐™ง๐™š ๐™œ๐™ค๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™ฉ๐™ค ๐™ฅ๐™–๐™ฎ ๐™›๐™ค๐™ง ๐™ฌ๐™๐™–๐™ฉ ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช ๐™™๐™ž๐™™ ๐™ฉ๐™ค ๐™ข๐™š. ๐™€๐™ซ๐™š๐™ง๐™ฎ ๐™ค๐™ช๐™ฃ๐™˜๐™š ๐™ค๐™› ๐™ฅ๐™–๐™ž๐™ฃ, ๐™š๐™ซ๐™š๐™ง๐™ฎ ๐™ฃ๐™ž๐™œ๐™๐™ฉ๐™ข๐™–๐™ง๐™š ๐™ฎ๐™ค๏ฟฝ...
8.7K 366 29
๐˜ผ๐™ซ๐™š๐™ง๐™ฎ ๐™’๐™–๐™ก๐™ ๐™š๐™ง, ๐™ค๐™—๐™ก๐™ž๐™œ๐™–๐™ฉ๐™š๐™™ ๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™ฉ๐™ค ๐™๐™š๐™ง ๐™—๐™ง๐™ค๐™ฉ๐™๐™š๐™ง'๐™จ ๐˜พ๐™–๐™ฅ๐™ฉ๐™–๐™ž๐™ฃ ๐˜ผ๐™ข๐™š๐™ง๐™ž๐™˜๐™– ๐™ฌ๐™ค๐™ง๐™ก๐™™, ๐™Ÿ๐™ช๐™œ๐™œ๐™ก๐™š๐™จ ๐™จ๐™š๐™˜๐™ง๐™š๐™ฉ๐™จ...