Hope - A Lord Of The Rings Ch...

By Elbereth43

Have you ever had something happen to you, so crazy that you couldn't describe it? That it made your heart ha... More

Biff, Cran and Skinner
A Very Angry Aredhrel
Gannedir the Healer
An Unexpected Arrival
A Tense Moment
Leggy and Co
Arwen Undomiel
I Could've Eaten That
The Dam of Rivendell
"It's about to burst!!"
"Raina!"
The Return of Skinner
Frodo's Late Night Visit
Awakening
The Past Holds Painful Memories
Hearts on Sleeves
"Who braids your hair?"
Spotty and Whisper
The Terrible Twins
A Late Arrivlal
Rilben and Hartha
"Ten Companions."
It Will Be Worth It
Gil and Galad
"Woah Bill!"
Frenemies Forever
In the Beginning
More Than Friends
Worse than Radagast
Just A Dream
Piggyback Races
Out There
If Only He Knew
The Watcher
Before My Mother Passed
I Hate Being Sick
Goodbye
The Flame, The Wizard and the Balrog - Part I
The Flame, The Wizard and the Balrog - Part II
Caras Galadhon
"Hobbits will put us all out of jobs!"
There's nothing more lonely, than a life without love
Almost Perfect
The Feast
Do you love me?
She Gave Me
What a Dwarf Needs
Its Taking Him
I'll Miss You
No Return
One Thing Burning True
Thank You!
UPDATE

The Mirror

429 12 0
By Elbereth43

I woke up, feeling different. I felt renewed, emboldened, like I had a new sense of purpose...

It was already mid morning when I finally rose from my bed, and Tûrdir walked inwards with a steaming bowl of oats.

"Aur vaer Raina!"

"Good morning Tûrdir." I yawned heavily. The elf smiled at me as I received the bowl gratefully. I was never really a porridge person, and preferred rice krispies any day, but it wasn't as bad as i thought, and with both cinnamon and sugar, I managed to stomach it.

Tûrdir checked my temperature as I ate diligently. I wasn't sneezing or coughing, and my throat although raspy was not constricted in pain.

"How are you feeling my lady?"

I coughed

"Fine Tûrdir." I replied, surprising myself with how smooth my voice sounded after such a long time "Though I must admit my throat is still a it tickly."

"Aye. That I'm afriad will take a few days to mend, but I'm pleased you are well. Your nose doesn't seem blocked and your airways clear. I am pleased with your recovery." He smiles, so proud of me, as if I'm his daughter rather than his patient.

Like Gandalf used to smile at me.

I sighed, staring down at the white gruel.

"I will inform Lady Galdriel of this. She wished to see you as soon as you were well."

A lump of porridge drops on my nightgown. I look down, and pull a face. Tûrdir hands me a tissue.

"Me?!" I scrape off the gruel, though remaining are traces of a stain. I sigh. "Whatever for?"

"I do not know. Perhaps she wanted to get acquainted with you. That is for you to find out."

I raised an eyebrow, puzzled.

Why would Galadriel need to see me? I'm not anyone special.

"Don't worry Raina." The elf places a hand on my shoulder "Lady Galadriel is neither malicious nor contemptuous. She is the epitome of motherhood and wisdom. She is our Lady of Light, and it is as if her heart is made of gold also."

I nod.

"In the mean time eat," he replied "You will not get much better if you are malnourished."

I manage to scrape the bowl clear quickly, since my nervous condition enabled me to do so. I wondered what Galadriel coild possibly want with me. I mean, I had seen a couple fanfics where girls ended up in Middle Earth because of some prophecy some old/dead person wrote - but that seemed implausible to me because if there were such a thing I would have heard of it by now. Nothing seemed to make sense. But then again, the never did these days.

I pushed the feeling of guilt away.

Once I finished my porridge, I walked around aimlessly. I know it was likely she wouldn't care, but I didn't exactly want to meet Galadriel in my nightgown. Especially not with that porridge stain.

Footsteps sounded.

I sighed in relief once I heard it was only Maerwen.

"Oh. It's you." I breathed heavily.

"Yes. Who else would it be?"

I smirked.

"I thought it would be Lady Galadriel. I know she wouldn't mind but I don't exactly want to meet her in a nightgown with a porridge stain."

I point to it and Maerwen winces.

"Sorry about that." I reply "I uh...I'm not a messy eater well I can be when I'm in private but I usually only spill crumbs and not stains and well I got a shock and that's how I ended up with this on my gown."

"Right." She gulps politely "Turdir sent me to escort you to the bathing pool

Maerwen led me to the bathing water’s of Galadriel’s royal wing. At least I thought it was only for guests, since I had been treated like a queen since I got here, though I wasn’t anyone of significance.

The room was intricately and beautifully designed, with marble stone and bubbling water, that seemed to come spurting forth from the tree itself. A mist hung in the air, and there were mosaic pictures of elves and fauna.

“My lady.” Maerwen said, moving forward and allowing me inside. I stepped inside, the marble floor cooling my moist feet. Sucking sounds came from my feet as I inched forth to the bath. It looked as if it had been built into the tree, and was both amiable and comfortable.

I turned around, but Maerwen was still there.

“Umm...”

“Yes, my lady.”

I didn’t exactly feel comfortable with people seeing me undressed. Although Beririel had, that was because I hadn’t had a choice. She needed to help me get into the bath at Rivendell. But it would seem that Maerwen had been assigned to me, so I had better get use to the feeling.

I walked up to the water, bending down and letting the warm water sweep past my fingers. I stood up, shaking them off.

“I just...would you mind turning around for a second? I uh...”

She seems to get the gist.

Trying to ignore my pounding heart, I undo the lace on my nightgown, and leave it in a puddle on the floor. Next I take off my underwear, and clamber into the bath, leaving the bubbles to almost submerge me.

I sigh, comforted by the familiar lapping of water against my skin.

"You can turn around now." I say, realising that she was still facing the other way.

Maerwen turns around and walks toward me.

“Do you require any assistance?"

"No." I reply smiling "Thank you. Oh wait."

I gulp, slightly embarrassed at what I'm about to ask.

"Will you braid my hair with daisies again?"

She smiles.

"It would be my pleasure."

"I am outside. Just knock once you have finished and I will lead you next door to get dressed."

"Ok."

Once the door clicks, I sigh, leaning my head back against the edge. This isnt even a bath tub, it's more of a cross between a jacuzzi and a pool. I'm sure myself, the hobbits and Gimli could fit in here - though it might be a bit of a squeeze.

Still I had never been treated like this before. Back home I wasn’t anyone special, just another care kid lost in the system. I wanted more than that - I always wanted a home where I'd be more. I wanted...I don't know, maybe one of my favourite actors to happen to stumble into my care home and whisk me away to a better life. Sure it would be pretty cool to have everything you ever wanted - but I tried my hardest not to think about that. All I wanted was to be loved by them and figured they could offer it.

Figured they could fix me.

I sighed.

It didn’t seem fair. My life that is. Then again I guess it never is for anyone. I suppose it could be worse. I could be a victim of abuse or caught up in a war that has nothing to do with me. But that thought never took away the pain.

Maybe I tried to hard. Maybe I should just forget about it, pretend it wasn't there. But how could I? My brain seemed hardwired to think on my past and only my past. It was like a record, stuck on the same cycle, going over and over again in my mind. I sighed, my neck beginning to ache. I decided to lie flat among the water and soap, letting the water completely soak into the back of my head. As I lay upon the water I held the edge of the bath, careful of floating off unexpectedly. I wondered what my friends were doing now. Did they miss me?

Part of me wanted them to, but I knew they didn't. I doubt they were even worried about me.

'Why should they though? You're no one special.'

I sighed. Here they come again.

I decided to wash my hair, firstly because it looked like I've started to grow dandruff from my scalp and secondly because it's a way to forget. To forget every bad thing that has happened, and all that will follow. The warm water seeps into my tendrils of hair, and I gently begin to massage it.

"Maerwen? Where is the shampoo?"

"I'm sorry?" She asks through the door handle.

"The shampoo? It's the stuff you use to wash your hair with?"

"Oh the soap? The lavender one, I left it by your other soap."

"Thank you."

"You are most welcome my lady."

"Raina."

"Raina."

I chuckle to myself. It seems everyone here gets everything right except my name. My fingers massage in the rest of the lavender soap, and after I bathe myself, I rinse my thick curls carefully, before clambering out of the bath. The only thing I hated after long baths, is that you always felt like your body weighs a 10000lbs after them. I groaned, heaving myself outward. I wrapped the luxurious robe Maerwen had left me, drying my hair with a towel and knocked on the door.

"I'm ready."

I hear Maerwen shift to the side, and I take that as the opportunity to open the door. She leads me to the next room, with a small hearth and amiably furnished. Their is a small arm chair by the fire, a desk and mini bookshelf, and a comfortable bed covered with blue sheets. My favourite colour.

"This will be your room from now on." Maerwen smiles "And the bathroom is yours and yours alone; fit for whatever purpose you so wish."

I blink.

"Really?"

"Yes."

"Oh gosh wow! I've never had anything like this done for me. Ever."

I dry the unruly curls of my hair, a small fringe tickling my brow. My hair reaches past my shoulders - strands sprouting everywhere in a magnificent fro. I wondered how Maerwen was going to be able to handle it. If she was going to be able to handle it.

To be honest I had no reason to fear. She wasn't inexperienced with hair and braided mine perfectly. I sighed, standing up. She braided my hair into a bun, weaving in daisies, and had clothed me in a blue dress which fell elegantly, the silk skirt rushing against my skin.

I sighed, feeling extremely self conscious

I prayed Legolas didn't see me like this.

"Are you ready?" Maerwen asks "I am to lead you to Lady Galadriel."

I was grateful she hadn't paid me a compliment. It would’ve made me feel even worse. My porridge wouldn’t settle in my stomach and I could feel my brow breaking out with sweat.

I nodded, too nervous to speak.

"This way."

I followed Maerwen among the trees, trying to take my mind off my present situation. I couldn't stand the idea of running into Legolas so I hurried along, forcing myself to find interest in the surroundings. It was beautiful here. The mellorn trees towered around the flets and the stone walkways indicated careful planning and a creative mind.

I sighed, running my hand along the railway. I had visited this place many times in my dreams but it wasn’t anything to the real thing.

We came to the edge of a walkway, and Maerwen led me down a long set of stairs. I wondered what Galadriel was to ask me. I hope she didn't dread up some of my past but, I had a feeling she would, much to my dismay.

I just wanted to pass my time here as comfortably as possible. In the book, the fellowship remained here for a month, but this timeline seemed a combination of the book and movie vers so I was confused as to how that was to work. In all honesty it was up to Aragorn. At least now that Gandalf was gone.

I sighed. We had reached the end of the steps. My heart caught in my throat. I wasnt ready to meet Galadriel. What if she didnt like me? Saw something in me that I didn't. What then?

As we walked through Caras Galadhon, other elves stopped and stared at us, but some continued walking on, as if thheu had seen sights like this before. I chose to keep my eyes anywhere but theirs. I knew they weren’t trying to be rude, but their staring didn’t make me feel better.

I followed Maerwen for about five minutes, before we came upon a small garden with an iron gate. She stopped.

“I shall leave you here.” She smiled

I nodded.

“Where exactly is she?” I quickly covered up my mistake “I mean Lady Galadriel.”

She pointed past an archway with thick with vines and leaves wrapped around it, towards an inner garden, where I could see various species of plants and towering mellorn trees. I nod.

“Namárië (farewell).” She replies, and I’m left alone.

My hand grips the gate in anticipation. I wanted to go in and meet Galadriel, but that the same time I didn’t. But, I knew that the idea of Legolas finding me here like this was even worse, so finally, I pushed forward on the gate, which creaked obnoxiously. I jumped a little, looking around to see if anyone had seen me, before I walked into the garden. My face lit up at the daises growing towards the fountain, and I stopped, running my hand through the water. Someone had left the heads of daisies in the water, so it looked like they were dancers, floating across the current. I smiled, before moving on, through the stone archway. It was decorate with the joyous faces of an elleth and elf, but they had a way of looking like they were  boring holes into my soul, so I moved on quickly. I entered the inner garden, which seemed even more enchanting than the last.

I weaved my way through quietly, before settling down on an alcove, certain I was lost. Where exactly was Galadriel? And where exactly was I? Should I have taken that right turn five minutes ago? Or maybe the left. As I rested, my head drifted upward toward the statues of small elf kings above me. I smiled gently, before my gaze shifted to some flowers and I reached to touch them.

‘Quite beautiful are they not?’ A voice reverberated and I jumped.

Did I just hear that in my mind?

I whipped round to see an older elleth of magnificent statue, with waves of blonde hair that billowed in the light breeze. Everything about her spoke wisdom and purity - her simple white dress with golden stitching trailed down to her bare feet, her nails were immaculate, not a speck of dirt. I looked at mine, which although were clean, were nothing like hers. She seemed to emanate some of sort of magical glow, and even her crown seemed twinkle more than most would in the sunlight. I couldn’t lie, I was intimidated.

She smiled, bowing her head.

‘Welcome Raina of Yorkshire, England, to Caras Galadhon, the heart of Lorien. I am Galadriel, lady of this fair realm.’

She paused, and I quickly stammered as I realised she was waiting for my reply.

“Oh.” I blinked, speaking it out loud “Um...thank you.”

She bowed her head again, before speaking in my mind.

‘I have been told many things about you.’

‘All good things I hope.’ I joke back.

When she doesn’t reply I cough awkwardly, but Galadriel continues to stare at me with a faint smile on her face. When she is satisfied, she holds her hand out, and I look up.

“.Come.” She tells me “There is much to discuss.”

Without hesitation, I gently and meticulously wrap my fingers around hers, and then she pulls us further, deeper into the garden.

I didn’t exactly know where we were going, but I had an idea. It might be the same place Frodo spent last night with her.

‘You are correct in your supposition.’ Galadriel replies in my mind. I smirk a little, following her onwards. Before long, we reach the edge of the little garden, surrounded by the trunks of thick mellorn trees, with the elegant stone basin in the middle. I see the metal pitched of water reflected off the basin. The water in there is still. Eerily still. It’s not moving, not even a ripple. The magic there must be pretty strong.

I sighed.

I had a feeling that the mirror would bring up things I didn’t want to see, things I had tried my hardest to forget.

’Do we have to go there?’ I asked her in my mind.

Galadriel turned her head, her eyes pitying.

”You cannot run from the past anymore, my dear child.” I sighed heavily, before she tilted up my chin with her elegantly fingers. “It is time.”

I nod and Galadriel walks forward into the small...what to call it...let’s just say garden for now. Until I can think of a better word.

She picked up the metal pitcher filled to the brim with water. She turns around, facing me.

”Will you look into the Mirror?” She asks.

Pushing down my anxiety, I step forward.

”What will I see?”
*-*-*-*
A/N:

GUESS WHO’S BACK IN BUSINESS BABY?!

THAT’S RIGHT! I AM!

😄😄

Ok for everyone that has been a fan off this book (this is weird I have fans 🤣) let me just explain to you why there’s hasn’t been an update for a very long time. In January, I woke up with an intense headache that just wouldn’t go  away...I was in pain all the time, as there were other symptoms too. As time went on, my nausea got worse and I had no motivation to do anything, which explains the inconsistency of the updates before I stopped completely. I was falling behind on school severely, and under an overwhelming amount of pressure. After the last update, the other one was scheduled to happen a lot sooner , but life seemed to catch up with me, and due to everything  that had happened to me and the fact that I wasn’t always busy and tired and stuff, I stopped.

Now that school is almost out, I’m ready to start updating my stories regularly. I apologise to anyone I’ve kept on tenterhooks the last few months andI promise from now on the updates will be more frequent.

All I’m going to ask sometimes, is that you bare with me. I have recently been diagnosed wiith migraines and abdominal ones by doctors, there may be delays.

Love,

Ellie. 💙

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

61.5K 1.6K 31
Sequel to my book 'Child of Sky'. (Though if you don't care about the back story, this can be read separately.) Therith is getting caught up in anoth...
33.1K 773 33
There are somethings in your past even you can't remember... River isn't from Middle Earth. She doesn't remember what happened or how she got there...
9.8K 227 17
Aura Thranduilion As a young elf, you were different then most wood elves. Most people didn't care of it. You weren't aware of the curse you were bor...
221K 7.3K 28
*COMPLETE* HarryPotterxLOTR crossover FemHarryxGlorfindel ^ Because there are not nearly enough of those. ⋆┈┈。゚❃ུ۪ ❀ུ۪ ❁ུ۪ ❃ུ۪ ❀ུ۪ ゚。┈┈⋆ Azalea Po...